Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back-Up QB

Started by Exit Pursued by a Boar, August 21, 2017, 07:41:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 02:18:14 pm
That was a Vandy team that finished 2-10. They had fewer than 200 yards total offense that day against the Hogs. Lets not make them out to be anything they were not.

See above on corrected mistakes.

Don't think there'd be a coach in the country putting in the backups with nearly 20 minutes left in that game being up only 21 points. Sure, they didn't score after their first 2 possessions, but they scored td's on both of their first 2 possessions and we were losing to them in the 2nd quarter.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogsanity

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 02:41:51 pm
True. Franklin came in the next year.

They didn't score after the second possession but we were losing to them in the second quarter.

21 point lead with 20 minutes left in the game was not a comfortable enough situation to put in the backups.

Yea, that backup Qb at the time was a terrible Qb. Oh Wait just 2 weeks before he had gone 25/34 with 4 td's against the eventual national champ. And they had about 20 Wr's on the roster. And there was no need to be throwing at that point except they were trying to get RM a record of some sort.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bennyl08

Up 31-7 against a weak, 2013 arkansas team that won one more game than Vandy did in 2010, SC had their starting qb running against us for a td with 1:29 left in the third quarter. They were rushing their star rb, throwing to their starting WR's, and putting their starting qb in danger for a game that we posed less of a threat than vandy did to us.

Same year, up 35-0 mid 3rd quarter, Bama is still playing with their starters in until they go up 42-0. Guess Saban didn't feel comfortable with the backups yet then either.

Same year, Auburn had a 25 point lead midway through the 3rd, we had scored all of 3 points. They never took their starters out and won by 18.

The year is 2008, Glen Coffee is still carrying the ball up 42-7 late into the 3rd quarter. Their starting qb plays all the way through the 3rd quarter.

Same year, Texas is up 35-3. Colt McCoy is still throwing td's passes to Shipley late into the 3rd quarter. Backups don't come in until they are up by 42 points.

Same year, Tebow is still carrying the ball against us with just 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. They were up by 17 points. Backups didn't come in until 3 minutes left in the game when they were up by 24.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

southeasthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 03:26:00 pm
Up 31-7 against a weak, 2013 arkansas team that won one more game than Vandy did in 2010, SC had their starting qb running against us for a td with 1:29 left in the third quarter. They were rushing their star rb, throwing to their starting WR's, and putting their starting qb in danger for a game that we posed less of a threat than vandy did to us.

Same year, up 35-0 mid 3rd quarter, Bama is still playing with their starters in until they go up 42-0. Guess Saban didn't feel comfortable with the backups yet then either.

Same year, Auburn had a 25 point lead midway through the 3rd, we had scored all of 3 points. They never took their starters out and won by 18.

The year is 2008, Glen Coffee is still carrying the ball up 42-7 late into the 3rd quarter. Their starting qb plays all the way through the 3rd quarter.

Same year, Texas is up 35-3. Colt McCoy is still throwing td's passes to Shipley late into the 3rd quarter. Backups don't come in until they are up by 42 points.

Same year, Tebow is still carrying the ball against us with just 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. They were up by 17 points. Backups didn't come in until 3 minutes left in the game when they were up by 24.
The South Carolina game I'm 2013 was classic Spurrier. He ran up the score on purpose. He is and always will be a dooshnoozle. Remember he left DMac off the Heisman ballot completely after he went for 321 on his Gamecocks.

bennyl08

Quote from: southeasthog on August 22, 2017, 04:58:00 pm
The South Carolina game I'm 2013 was classic Spurrier. He ran up the score on purpose. He is and always will be a dooshnoozle. Remember he left DMac off the Heisman ballot completely after he went for 321 on his Gamecocks.

It's also apparently classic Saban, classic Meyer, Classic Brown, ...

Point being, there's nary a single coach in the country that wouldn't have had Mallett throwing to Childs at that point in the game. Similarly, after scoring a td there, few coaches in the country wouldn't be putting in the backups.

southeasthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 05:02:55 pm
It's also apparently classic Saban, classic Meyer, Classic Brown, ...

Point being, there's nary a single coach in the country that wouldn't have had Mallett throwing to Childs at that point in the game. Similarly, after scoring a td there, few coaches in the country wouldn't be putting in the backups.
I'm not arguing those points. Only pointing what a punk Spurrier is. Quit on his team in the middle of a season also because the season wasn't going well. Sorry for interjecting myself into y'all's argument. Carry on.

bennyl08

Quote from: southeasthog on August 22, 2017, 05:12:09 pm
I'm not arguing those points. Only pointing what a punk Spurrier is. Quit on his team in the middle of a season also because the season wasn't going well. Sorry for interjecting myself into y'all's argument. Carry on.

Never was a fan of Spurrier. Granted, didn't really watch his florida teams much. But at SC, he just found one player and would ride them into the ground until they were injured (Lattimore, Jeffrey, Clowney, etc...). Really felt like he was overrated, at least at SC.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 05:30:11 pm
Never was a fan of Spurrier. Granted, didn't really watch his florida teams much. But at SC, he just found one player and would ride them into the ground until they were injured (Lattimore, Jeffrey, Clowney, etc...). Really felt like he was overrated, at least at SC.

When he was at Duke and then Florida, he was a very good coach.  Late in his Florida career and through most of his SC career, he was too busy being THBC, a media created caricature that he was more than happy to play along with because it kept him in the spotlight.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

swineology

If the Hogs are up by 40 then put in the back up, otherwise leave AA in.

The 2 meltdowns are still fresh on my memory.

hobhog

Quote from: southeasthog on August 22, 2017, 04:58:00 pm

And he quit on the Gamedocks mid season. Tool....

hogsanity

Then I guess you just proved the point some of us are making, college coaches just do not play their backup QB, unless forced to, except in handoff run out the clock time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 21, 2017, 06:01:45 pm
The two QBs not named Austin Allen that impressed me the most in the two preseason scrimmages were Carson Proctor and Jack Lindsey. They were the only QBs to score against the No. 1 defense. Lindsey was particularly impressive because he directed a ball control drive against the ones while Proctor got his TD on one big play. At one point Lindsey side stepped a blitzing linebacker and found a receiver to the one yard line, then got the TD on a one yard pass. Both QBs were working with the No. 2 offense.
Yeah, I think we should be a little more worried about our 1st team defense than our back up QB at this point.

Carl Lazlo

No one is worried about Austin Allen unless he goes down.  This is to give a player game reps in blowouts so that the 2018 season isn't such a big question mark at qb.  Let them run the whole offense.  Establish some rhythm and cohesiveness. I don't care if it's Lindsey, Proctor, Hyatt, Story, or Kelley.  It needs to happen.

Ex-Trumpet

I didn't like running up scores, but it was a product of the old BCS.  If you didn't blow somebody out you fell in the polls, as did any Heisman candidate.

And, it isn't too different now...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rzrbkman

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on August 23, 2017, 08:44:23 am
Yeah, I think we should be a little more worried about our 1st team defense than our back up QB at this point.
Good fans can multi-task and have questions about more than one team position at a time.

factchecker

https://twitter.com/TomMurphyADG/status/900396777794351104

QuoteBret Bielema at NWATD Club: told Storey n Kelley that if they played now Kelley would be No. 2 QB, could change; slashed on depth chart
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawganatic

Thanks for the memories bro!!

hawganatic

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 05:30:11 pm
Really felt like he was overrated, at least at SC.

Seems like I remember a former coach of ours saying he modeled his offensive philosophy after Spurrier.  That former coach was/is pretty salty at what he does (as it relates to football it least).

Can't be that overrated...

Großer Kriegschwein

As many hits as Austin took last year, until the OL proves they can protect him, the #2 QB will be a worry.

I hate it. But it is what it is.
This is my non-signature signature.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: redleg on August 21, 2017, 09:31:10 am
If the backup is Kelley (which I would like to see), that would give Kelley the inside track to earning the starting job next spring. If Kelley is the next starter for the Hogs, will Storey transfer?
I think Kelley has a much bigger and better upside as far as overall talent goes. From what I have read, he's got a Ryan Mallett-type arm and physical appearance, yet does have some mobility, i.e. he's not a statue like Mallett was. Bielema wants a pro-style offense, which would be a 60/40 pass/run distribution. I strongly feel that Kelley would be better suited to run that type of offense, over Storey. Austin Allen is the starter last year and this year because he is a leader, he knows the offense, and he has talent. Storey is talented too, but Kelley would be able to take this offense to another level over the next two or three seasons.

Redleg, I've been talking up Cole Kelley since the day he hit campus.  We've had people ask, "But can he run".  Well I think all that was answered last night.  Sacking him in the pocket isn't happening easily, just as I said beforehand. Cole ain't going down without a fight.  Just because you have a hand on him doesn't mean much.

And the can he run question was definitely answered when he delivered that blow to the Florida A&M defender.  Cole initiated the contact, and blew the poor dude out of the water with a power move.  Ouch.

I've said Cole Kelley is the real deal from the start, and said will play on Sundays.  Last night, he was everything I had touted.