Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Southern Hills to Host PGA Championship and Senior PGA Championship

Started by GoHogs1091, May 30, 2017, 08:38:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

"The PGA of America announced that it will host two different major championships at Southern Hills Country Club, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, between now and 2030."

"Southern Hills will host the 2021 KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship—the most historic and prestigious major championship in senior golf—and also will be the venue for a PGA Championship no later than 2030."

"This will be a record fifth time that Southern Hills has staged the PGA Championship, one of golf's four men's major championships."

"Few American golf venues match the legacy and record of excellence of Southern Hills Country Club," said PGA of America President Paul Levy. "Some of our sport's greatest names have walked these fairways and etched their name in major championship history."

"With the announcement, Southern Hills' history of hosting major golf championships will encompass more than 80 years."

http://www.pga.com/news/pga/southern-hills-country-club-host-pga-championship-senior-pga-championship

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on May 31, 2017, 07:22:55 am
Paul runs the pro shop, and Della is the bartender.

And Hamilton Burger gets his butt kicked on the course by Perry every day.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2017, 10:04:40 pm
Isn't this a Perry Mason designed course?

Perry Maxwell.  It is Maxwell's crown jewel.  Maxwell lived in a tent at Southern Hills during the two years it took to sculpt the championship golf course in the mid-1930s.

Ben Hogan called it one of the top 3 courses in the world.

Johnny Miller once said that Southern Hills has as good of a set of Par 4s as anywhere.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 31, 2017, 09:58:58 pm
Perry Maxwell.  It is Maxwell's crown jewel.  Maxwell lived in a tent at Southern Hills during the two years it took to sculpt the championship golf course in the mid-1930s.

Ben Hogan called it one of the top 3 courses in the world.

Johnny Miller once said that Southern Hills has as good of a set of Par 4s as anywhere.

I heard Johnny say that Holly Sonders had a good set.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawgndaaz

will be one of the more boring PGA Championship tourneys in a decade

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 01, 2017, 10:02:00 am
will be one of the more boring PGA Championship tourneys in a decade

As usual with prior Majors held there, it will be a high quality tournament that will produce a high quality winner.

There probably won't be a Larry Mize, Mike Weir, Trevor Immelman, Charl Schwartzel, and Danny Willett type of a winner at Southern Hills.  Southern Hills demands and requires a complete elite level of play, not just getting hot over a few holes.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Wildhog on June 01, 2017, 10:04:59 am
I remember when I watched golf. 

I'm a majors on Sunday watcher these days. That's about it. I used to be glued to it.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 02, 2017, 09:00:48 am
I'm a majors on Sunday watcher these days. That's about it. I used to be glued to it.

I used to be like that.  I didn't watch one shot of the Masters this year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 09:04:16 am
I used to be like that.  I didn't watch one shot of the Masters this year.

You're too busy playing with dolls these days.......

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 01, 2017, 06:13:22 pm
As usual with prior Majors held there, it will be a high quality tournament that will produce a high quality winner.

There probably won't be a Larry Mize, Mike Weir, Trevor Immelman, Charl Schwartzel, and Danny Willett type of a winner at Southern Hills.  Southern Hills demands and requires a complete elite level of play, not just getting hot over a few holes.

Anyone that walks on that golf course that day can win that golf tournament.   Southern hills offers nothing different than any other golf course these guys play.  It's your typical once every other decade majors course, which means nothing special.

McKdaddy

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 03, 2017, 09:05:12 am
Anyone that walks on that golf course that day can win that golf tournament.   Southern hills offers nothing different than any other golf course these guys play.  It's your typical once every other decade majors course, which means nothing special.

Agreed. I'm proud of it and its little history b/c I live in tulsa, but it's otherwise sorta ordinary.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 03, 2017, 02:42:08 pm
Agreed. I'm proud of it and its little history b/c I live in tulsa, but it's otherwise sorta ordinary.

Here is what some Golf Digest Panelists have said about it.  The link has some good photos (will have to scroll down to view the photos).

"One of those old-time tests of golf, hosting three U.S. Opens and four PGA Championships. It's still a stern test of golf and an excellent venue of championships. I'm excited to hear Gil Hanse will be doing some restoration work in the near future to keep this classic updated."

"The course is fantastic, particularly the back nine, where Maxwell was at his best. I found holes 10, 11, 12, and 17 to be my favorites, with their angles, bunkering, and green complexes. I'm sure I am like many who feel that #12 is one of the best par 4s in the country."

"Very difficult, tree lined course with punitive Bermuda rough. Bent grass greens were very firm and fast, despite having been through hot and wet August weather. A championship course in all respects."

"Exudes tradition from the gate through the clubhouse, and most of all, on the grounds. Excellent elevation changes, rolling terrain, and even the flat holes have ground movement."

"Terrific Maxwell greens that are still a treat to play. Considerable slope and internal contouring, false edges, chipping areas, and they hold well-struck full shots and pitches."

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/southern-hills-country-club

McKdaddy