Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future Baum expansion

Started by parallaxpig, May 12, 2017, 08:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Anybody have link that shows pictures of future Baum expansion plans?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

parallaxpig

How close are they to having the funds needed to move forward?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on May 13, 2017, 07:24:41 am
How close are they to having the funds needed to move forward?

About $120m short at the moment.

Porked Tongue

Bacons Rebellion

I don't like suites at a college baseball field.

HamIAm

What is #9, vertical circulation?

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on May 13, 2017, 07:31:04 am
About $120m short at the moment.

So this cost as much as stadium expansion....

Wisco Pig

Quote from: HamIAm on May 13, 2017, 08:50:30 am
What is #9, vertical circulation?

Vertical circulation is a ten-dollar term that refers to how people (and goods) can get from point to point in a facility -- ramps, stairs, escalators, elevators.

3kgthog

1. As mentioned, most of those upgrades aren't needed. Much like those currently at RRS for a 7 win program, but that's another story...

2. They are bound and determined to kill the view and atmosphere of the Hog pen by slapping a stinking club over a chunk of it.

3. The only needed expansion is the center field entrance and a proper concourse all the way around the stadium. The cesspool has gotta go.

parallaxpig

I agree but do like the right field section over bullpen. 

factchecker

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 13, 2017, 09:51:32 am
1. As mentioned, most of those upgrades aren't needed. Much like those currently at RRS for a 7 win program, but that's another story...

2. They are bound and determined to kill the view and atmosphere of the Hog pen by slapping a stinking club over a chunk of it.

3. The only needed expansion is the center field entrance and a proper concourse all the way around the stadium. The cesspool has gotta go.

These plans were released back in 2011.  Designs change considerably over time and I'm willing to bet this expansion/renovation won't happen for a least a couple more years.

The stadium expansion, like the rest of the Razorback facility improvements, will be done via ticket sales, donations, and SEC money.  If you don't like the improvements then don't donate.  It's not like we are stealing money from the public like WMS is with their scoreboard improvements.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 13, 2017, 09:43:33 am
Vertical circulation is a ten-dollar term that refers to how people (and goods) can get from point to point in a facility -- ramps, stairs, escalators, elevators.

I thought it was my head spinning while drunk............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porked Tongue

Quote from: factchecker on May 13, 2017, 10:10:32 am
If you don't like the improvements then don't donate.
A bit brash there.

I don't get hung up on donation or not.  It's money solicited that could go to other things.

The UA Athletic Dept is a cash machine and at some point they're going to need to work on cost control.  I'm fine with facilities needing some tweaks but that ballpark is already a dandy.  Maybe some tweaks like outside the field but the day is coming we'll regret such Taj Mahal type venues.

I'm not a fan of this arms race of unnecessary improvements.

Just take care of the nice stuff we have.

factchecker

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 13, 2017, 10:49:07 am
A bit brash there.

I don't get hung up on donation or not.  It's money solicited that could go to other things.

The UA Athletic Dept is a cash machine and at some point they're going to need to work on cost control.  I'm fine with facilities needing some tweaks but that ballpark is already a dandy.  Maybe some tweaks like outside the field but the day is coming we'll regret such Taj Mahal type venues.

I'm not a fan of this arms race of unnecessary improvements.

Just take care of the nice stuff we have.

If I had to bet (maybe someone better connected can give some info) Baum stadium will be the last to get renovations.  Our baseball program is deserving but we just built the indoor practice facility so it might be a while for their turn to pop back up.

I think Bud Walton might be the next on the list.  If Mike can build off of last season and get people back in the Bud then we will probably see a complete renovation/restoration.

I'm not sure when you last made it up to campus but the entire university is expanding, renovating, and improving.  Some of which is coming off the financial backing from the athletic department.

My general rule is this:  As long as we don't become a welfare program (like other in state schools) where the bulk of our funding is from subsidies then I'm happy.  I also NEVER want to see mandatory, athletic fees being built into tuition.  I take pride in the fact that we are one of the few schools who don't steal from it's students.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

cypress rock

I hear that the right field suites are next to happen. A waiting list of 40 with 20 ready to pay now. Heard the football expansion backed this back to 2020

Porked Tongue

I'm VERY familiar with the UA campus and see it constantly.
I believe the entire campus is getting way too big.
I hate the massive amount of growth.
Fortunately the UA Chancellor has decided we are about at the peak of growth.
No one wants fees for students for Athletics.
Bud Walton needs to be downsized.
I'm a UA Alum, UA Foundation donor and season ticket holder to 2 sports.

The UA Athletic Dept is in constant motion and I appreciate that but the facilities race will create issues down the road when money from tv, student growth and other things isn't so grand.  It's losing it's homeyness.

I envision a day where we have large state of the art facilities that are 50% full on it's best day.  There's nothing wrong with leaving people wanting more.

But I fear we don't know how to pump the brakes.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 13, 2017, 10:49:07 am

the day is coming we'll regret such Taj Mahal type venues.

You're right.  Unfortunately.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

factchecker

May 13, 2017, 11:44:06 am #19 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:29:49 pm by factchecker
Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 13, 2017, 11:28:40 am

The UA Athletic Dept is in constant motion and I appreciate that but the facilities race will create issues down the road when money from tv, student growth and other things isn't so grand.  It's losing it's homeyness.

I envision a day where we have large state of the art facilities that are 50% full on it's best day.  There's nothing wrong with leaving people wanting more.

I'm an alumnus as well. I am also blessed enough to be a RF member and season ticket holder. We are just on different ends of the spectrum in regards to growth..... kinda.  I agree that the move should be to downsize most of stadiums not increase capacity.  That is why I fully support the football renovations.  The renovations are focused on increasing luxury seating and improving amenities.  It would be great if they could install full chair-backs in the lower bowl (aside from visitors and student section) but I don't believe that is possible.  If we were expanding the nose bleeds then I would complain.  The same approach should be for all sports.

In my opinion, stadium expansions and facility improvements are the best usage of athletic budgets. I rather millions go towards something both the fans and athletes can enjoy.  These expansions and improvements will be here long after Long, Bielema, Anderson etc. are gone.  I'd rather spend our money on great facilities vs. sinking the money elsewhere.  Not to mention, great facilities demonstrate fan support and can help attract better coaches and student athletes.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

John Snow

Ruining the the hog pen for right field suites would destroy the great  home field  atmosphere we get with the crazy Baum squad out there.Also their inflated  attendance number of fans at games would fall off with a diminished hogpen where most of them come from in the big games. Baum stadium is perfect the way it is . All Jeff Long needs to do is update the concourse and parking would  make Baum stadium  a masterpiece. I get there is a demand for more suites but this not football and it would make our fans feel more like a boring minor league game  if Jeff Long only cares about  destroying tradition of one the best fan sections in the country of the great Baum squad atmosphere in the hog pen .

factchecker

May 13, 2017, 02:40:29 pm #21 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:10:30 am by factchecker
Quote from: John Snow on May 13, 2017, 02:36:37 pm
Ruining the the hog pen for right field suites would destroy the great  home field  atmosphere we get with the crazy Baum squad out there.Also their inflated  attendance number of fans at games would fall off with a diminished hogpen where most of them come from in the big games. Baum stadium is perfect the way it is . All Jeff Long needs to do is update the concourse and parking would  make Baum stadium  a masterpiece. I get there is a demand for more suites but this not football and it would make our fans feel more like a boring minor league game  if Jeff Long only cares about  destroying tradition of the great Baum squad atmosphere in the hog pen.

The Hog Pen exists in every diagram I've seen.  The pictures above show the new clubs being over the corner near the left foul pole.  It would similar to where the foul pole patio currently is.  I don't think we are removing the cheap seats/student section anytime soon.

Ruining the the hog pen for right field suites

FYI:  IF you ever go to a baseball game don't try in sit in the fictional right field hogpen.  It would be hard to see over the visitor bullpen.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JHicks3636

Ruining the the hog pen for right field suites would destroy the great  home field  atmosphere we get with the crazy Baum squad out there.Also their inflated  attendance number of fans at games would fall off with a diminished hogpen where most of them come from in the big games. Baum stadium is perfect the way it is . All Jeff Long needs to do is update the concourse and parking would  make Baum stadium  a masterpiece. I get there is a demand for more suites but this not football and it would make our fans feel more like a boring minor league game  if Jeff Long only cares about  destroying tradition of one the best fan sections in the country of the great Baum squad atmosphere in the hog pen .

I'm not sure what the right field suites have to do with the Hog Pen. Right now right field has nothing but a bullpen. The Hog Pen is in left field.

gustofwind

Several friends and I have a suite at Baum and  it has been revolving door of members for 10-12 years.  We have a waiting list that is 20 names deep of families/individuals who would like to get in as someone falls out, so the additional suites in RF would be consumed quickly.  Suites and centerfield entrance are the only adjustments that need to be made to a near perfect venue.

PS-I think the look of additional suites would be unbalanced(don't really want them) but it would add substantial revenue for the program.

hogfanboy2

"IF it is possible"  I would think starting to double stack the suites would look nicer and being closer to home plate would be more valuable

ricepig

Quote from: hogfanboy2 on May 15, 2017, 08:05:26 pm
"IF it is possible"  I would think starting to double stack the suites would look nicer and being closer to home plate would be more valuable

Anything's possible.......

BroyledNutts

I realize that baseball isn't a high revenue sport, but I really hope Jeff Long will put updates to Baum on the priority list. National punditry have expressed that Baum today isn't even in the top 5 facilities of the SEC, and considered nationally it's luster is fading. There needs to be some polishing to the diamond to make it stand out once again.

rljjr

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 13, 2017, 11:28:40 am

Absolutely. Take care of what you have.

Mike Irwin

There's no way those skyboxes in the corners would cost $120 million. However Van Horn told me a couple of years ago that he would not be the coach when that project was finally approved for construction. It's not coming soon.

BigBrandonAllenFan

May 15, 2017, 09:24:24 pm #29 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:21:38 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 13, 2017, 07:37:52 am
Unnecessary

Agreed.  It would water down a fire.

Arkansas already has a ball park that matches any in the nation.

When every SEC game at Baum becomes standing room only, then OK.  They aren't busting the seams like that right now.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 15, 2017, 09:16:49 pm
There's no way those skyboxes in the corners would cost $120 million. However Van Horn told me a couple of years ago that he would not be the coach when that project was finally approved for construction. It's not coming soon.

I thought DVH also said at that time that the expansion was estimated at somewhere around 30 million, and that he had most, if not all, of that amount already raised - it was just that the athletic department was standing in the way of the expansion ... I think it's ridiculous that Baum can't be expanded in a time frame that would still have Van Horn here as coach. With all the improvements going on around the conference we need to invest in Baum to keep it from falling well behind the rest...there are recruits who look at things like that when picking a school.

That statement by DVH seems on the surface to be a veiled hint at some dirty politics going on; maybe there isn't, but it sure hints at it.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 15, 2017, 09:16:49 pm

Of course they don't cost $120m, that just happens to be the bond issue for NEZ. If you think the athletic department is going to trot out some $20m+ expansion at Baum before those are halfway paid, you haven't been reading the tea leaves.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on May 15, 2017, 09:24:24 pm
Agreed.  It would water down a fire.

Arkansas already has a ball park as that matches any in the nation.

When every SEC game at Baum becomes standing room only, then OK.  They aren't busting the seams like that right now.

Well, there is a SRO list for suites, and I would assume one for some club seating, but I don't see it being built anytime soon.

RazorPiggie

I only went to a couple of home games this year but every time I noticed that there was someone in each box. Boxes would fill up quick.

And from those pictures it doesn't look like they are "getting rid" of the hog pen. They would just be putting the boxes above those seats that are currently behind the bullpen anyways. Plus you still have the bleachers out there.

HogFoo

People that complain about expansion forget that this is the SEC arms race.  It isn't a matter of need.  It's a matter of keeping up with the other schools.  Did you guys see that bama baseball stadium?  that thing is very nice!   Auburn was already nice and s.carolina already is doing more renovations along with UGA getting a whole new field wasn't it?  The only one I think not doing upgrades is lsu.     But, it's this way in nearly every sport in the SEC.  You have to upgrade along with everyone else.  Or itll be used against you by the other schools who are upgrading.  just the way it is.  I like the expansions.  Look very nice.  Especially the centerfield entrance and concourse.   I agree that the nasty swamp needs to go.
The suites and stuff in left field.  Not a fan of too much, But they only seem to cover those seats their in BP1 bp2 area.  So that's not bad. They still leave open a big portion of the Hog Pen.   I like all  The right field upgrades.  Anything better than looking at the swamp.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Porked Tongue

Quote from: HogFoo on May 17, 2017, 03:29:56 am
People that complain about expansion forget that this is the SEC arms race. 
No I didn't (forget).  It's the reason they chase it.  It's an endless game until it ends.  Just like coaching salaries.

woodhog14

The Hog Pen is in Left Field.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 07:14:23 am
Well, there is a SRO list for suites, and I would assume one for some club seating, but I don't see it being built anytime soon.

I guess it depends on who is footing the bill.  90% project specific funded by private donors, sure, build away. 

But direct UofA funds of $120 million?  It's gonna take a high price on a skybox to make a profit anytime soon there.  It would be a hard sell all the way around.

Trump could probably build it for 10 million.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on May 18, 2017, 10:27:13 pm
I guess it depends on who is footing the bill.  90% project specific funded by private donors, sure, build away. 

But direct UofA funds of $120 million?  It's gonna take a high price on a skybox to make a profit anytime soon there.  It would be a hard sell all the way around.

Trump could probably build it for 10 million.

The expansion won't cost that much, that's the bond amount for the NEZ. Don't expect anything else to be built until we choke down about half of that.  I don't doubt that the suites will sell, and "pay" for themselves, but there's always the other improvements that run up the bill.

hawgrunner