Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Connor Vanover w/Pro Skills (TX) 17U on Nike EYBL circuit ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 30, 2017, 11:02:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 04, 2017, 05:04:52 am
Case in point, Alan Bannister, Jason Jennings and Steven Hill say hi.  It takes more than being tall, to make an impact on a transition team like Arkansas.

Steven Hill was an very athletic. He would have fit well in this system despite his pathetic lack of offensive skill

GuvHog

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on June 12, 2017, 08:05:41 pm
Where was the lie in what Nolan stated? 

Where in that post did I say Nolan lied??? Jason Jennings was treated very badly by Nolan and his staff.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NWAHog479

How did he not treat Jason right? Jason didn't treat himself right for being soft as Charmin around the rim.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GuvHog on June 13, 2017, 08:50:06 am
Where in that post did I say Nolan lied??? Jason Jennings was treated very badly by Nolan and his staff.

Do you know this for a fact? If you have that from someone you should name him! My memory is that Nolan wanted him to stay. I watched Jennings in HS get torn up by a 6-6 kid that I think went to Ark Tech..How did Jennings do after his transfer?

GuvHog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on June 16, 2017, 12:49:19 pm
Do you know this for a fact? If you have that from someone you should name him! My memory is that Nolan wanted him to stay. I watched Jennings in HS get torn up by a 6-6 kid that I think went to Ark Tech..How did Jennings do after his transfer?

Talk to Jason himself about it if you don't believe me.

orgkeith

Story from Jason was that he had a back injury that was not diagnosed.  Coaches for some reason didn't believe him.  I'm guessing they  thought he was just lazy and using it as an excuse to not work hard.  He must have given them some reason to believe that.  Haven't heard our coaches side of the story.  Usually there are two sides to a story and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

AWHAWG

It's simple get this kid on campus. A chance is better than nothing.  The worst is he doesn't make it. But if he starts to learn the game and style and work his tale off, It could be special.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on June 13, 2017, 08:50:06 am

No he wasn't. You have confused him with that whiner Jason Gilbert.

You are so freaking annoying.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 18, 2017, 03:43:45 am
No he wasn't. You have confused him with that whiner Jason Gilbert.

You are so freaking annoying.

No, I'm not confusing him with anyone.

GuvHog

Quote from: AWHAWG on June 17, 2017, 12:49:07 pm
It's simple get this kid on campus. A chance is better than nothing.  The worst is he doesn't make it. But if he starts to learn the game and style and work his tale off, It could be special.

Exactly.

JonClaudeVanHam

This thread is some of Guv's finest trolling work on this site.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

NWAHog479

Did we really offer Connor or is that just "reported"

ShadowHawg

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 23, 2017, 09:14:45 pm
Trust me when I say you are very confused.

Jason Jennings was the 7 footer from Bald Knob who signed with Arkansas then later transferred to A-State. I'm not confused.

GuvHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on June 21, 2017, 02:35:07 pm
Did we really offer Connor or is that just "reported"

Yes Arkansas has offered Conner, but some believe that it's a non-committable offer.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on June 25, 2017, 07:13:58 pm
Yes Arkansas has offered Conner, but some believe that it's a non-committable offer.

If he ends up getting a scholarship without showing vast improvement in speed, quickness, strength and agility, I'd be very disappointed if he ended up on scholarship here.

texas tush hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on June 26, 2017, 02:43:33 am
If he ends up getting a scholarship without showing vast improvement in speed, quickness, strength and agility, I'd be very disappointed if he ended up on scholarship here.

I think that Mike is waiting to see how Vanover's senior season plays out. Who knows, he may blow up this year and turn into a Shawn Bradley and many people will want him, and it's not like we just signed Reggie Perry and Ian Steere.

Hawg Red

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 07, 2017, 08:48:58 am
I think that Mike is waiting to see how Vanover's senior season plays out. Who knows, he may blow up this year and many people will want him and it's not like we just signed Reggie Perry and Ian Steere.

Doesn't matter what kind of season he has if his body and athleticism don't dramatically improve. And they're not going to. Would be a wasted scholarship. We need players that can fit and contribute.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 07, 2017, 08:51:48 am
Doesn't matter what kind of season he has if his body and athleticism don't dramatically improve. And they're not going to. Would be a wasted scholarship. We need players that can fit and contribute.

Well right now we are batting "zippo."

texas tush hog

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 07, 2017, 08:54:20 am

I think that Mike is waiting to see how Vanover's senior season plays out. Who knows, he may blow up this year and turn into a Shawn Bradley and many people will want him, and it's not like we just signed Reggie Perry and Ian Steere.

Hawg Red

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 07, 2017, 08:54:20 am

Are we really, though? We still have 3 good players committed for 2018 and I'd take Weaver and Moss 10/10 times over Connor.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 05, 2017, 12:37:45 pm
Guv thinks he's going to become the next Shawn Bradley.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

texas tush hog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on June 11, 2017, 08:33:39 pm
What ever Mike does will be alright with me. For discussion sign him redshirt him work him in the weight room. Not like Mike doesn't waste a schollie every year. Doubt he will ever become an all american but IMO with his height why not take a chance on a 7 ft plus kid. Probably wasting time with this thread if we win big the next couple years Mike will be on better prospects anyways.

Totally agree.

yraciv

NWAHog479

Quote from: yraciv on July 07, 2017, 10:24:27 am
It likely is. Shawn Bradley was a prep standout and blocked 5 shots a game his FR year at BYU.

http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-posterized-shawn-bradley/

Vanover wouldn't see the floor at BYU... I'm telling you, this kid can barely get up and down the court. Hope we pull his offer soon.

Hawg Red

Connor can shoot the ball better than Bradley but that is literally it. Bradley was even more athletic. Bradley was only looked at as a joke because he went #2 overall over Penny Hardaway. He was actually a solid NBA player for a number of years.

Big Nasty 34

Well, with Perry decommiting, we might have to seriously think about Connor.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 07, 2017, 12:46:22 pm
Connor can shoot the ball better than Bradley but that is literally it. Bradley was even more athletic. Bradley was only looked at as a joke because he went #2 overall over Penny Hardaway. He was actually a solid NBA player for a number of years.

Yea but Shawn Bradley got dunked on more than anybody

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 11, 2017, 08:17:29 pm
Yea but Shawn Bradley got dunked on more than anybody

Shot blockers get dunked on because they contest shots. You might be surprised at how much Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo got dunked on.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 11, 2017, 06:26:50 pm

Nah. That would just make the situation worse. Trust me.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 11, 2017, 06:26:50 pm

I would be ok with saving that scholarship for 2019 instead.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 12, 2017, 08:49:14 am
Shot blockers get dunked on because they contest shots. You might be surprised at how much Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo got dunked on.

Yea but Shawn Bradley was on other dunkers highlight reels more than just about anybody else in history.  I think part of that is that it's cool to see someone that tall get dunked on.  Also, Bradley was so weak compared to mutombo and mourning, if mutkmbo and mourning get dunked on it's cause they didn't get ready in time, Bradley would see it coming but not be able to do anything. 

That being said, vanovers similar in that he'd probably get dunked on all the time, but I wish we'd take him on.

GuvHog

batmanfan

Sounds like Mike and staff were all watching this dude play today
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

HardingHog

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

GuvHog

NWAHog479

Can we get an update on Vanover and where he is likely to end up? Really hoping Mike avoids signing him and Tubby lands him in Memphis. Doesn't sound like we have been going to many of his games.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: NWAHog479 on August 03, 2017, 08:44:52 am
Can we get an update on Vanover and where he is likely to end up? Really hoping Mike avoids signing him and Tubby lands him in Memphis. Doesn't sound like we have been going to many of his games.

He won't be attending Arkansas. The coaches saw one of his games, but they were there to watch Jared Butler and DJ Stewart during the mid-July period.

Connor has the outside game, but needs more physical development which is norm for a kid his size. I could see year three or four in college being when Connor really comes into his own.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 03, 2017, 08:53:30 am
He won't be attending Arkansas. The coaches saw one of his games, but they were there to watch Jared Butler and DJ Stewart during the mid-July period.

Connor has the outside game, but needs more physical development which is norm for a kid his size. I could see year three or four in college being when Connor really comes into his own.

Thanks Richard. Guv really needed to hear this.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NWAHog479 on August 03, 2017, 08:44:52 am

Connor's mobility is not a fit at Arkansas. He's gotten stronger, has always had good skill, but he's not a fit for the way Arkansas plays.

zebradynasty

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 03, 2017, 10:26:18 am
Thanks Richard. Guv really needed to hear this.

;D ;D ;D But now we will have to read how this will be the biggest loss in recruiting in the history of the program!

Richard Davenport

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 03, 2017, 11:09:41 am
;D ;D ;D But now we will have to read how this will be the biggest loss in recruiting in the history of the program!

Very few 7 plus guys can play the way Mike wants to play. It takes time to get speed and moblity where you want it when you're that big. If anyone can do it's Connor because he works very hard.

I think Connor can flourish in the right system along with the right personnel playing along side him. He's too good of a shooter not to have a chance.

NWAHog479

This is GREAT news, thank you for the update! I wish him nothing but the best, maybe UALR will give him a scholly.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: NWAHog479 on August 03, 2017, 01:17:58 pm
This is GREAT news, thank you for the update! I wish him nothing but the best, maybe UALR will give him a scholly.

He would be a great replacement for Shoshi for sure.

yraciv

I'd like to see him at Wichita State.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 03, 2017, 12:37:15 pm
Very few 7 plus guys can play the way Mike wants to play. It takes time to get speed and moblity where you want it when you're that big. If anyone can do it's Connor because he works very hard.

I think Connor can flourish in the right system along with the right personnel playing along side him. He's too good of a shooter not to have a chance.

After I read my post I realize that I may have given the impression that Connor wasn't good. He is a good players but even good players need the right system. MA system is not a good fit for Connor. Nothing against him in the right system he could do well. I was just digging at Guv because he thinks that someday Connor will run the floor like a small guard or something!

Hawg Red

I think Connor will end up at a AAC/A10 type program. Not quite a high major, not quite a mid major. I suppose he could get on at the right high major but I'd bet on a school like Tulsa or Wichita State.