Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Richard Davenport reporting a visit from Jalen Harris Frosh Tansfer PG from

Started by Van Boarisson, April 26, 2017, 03:06:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Boarisson

New Mexico . really like this kid- been following him for a bit. Would be a nice get.

Visiting tomorrow I believe.

https://youtu.be/PtmeBONxNkg

KenHawg2023

From what I've seen from him I like him. If Barford and Macon come back and he redshirted I really think he could help.

010HogFan

FineAsSwine

I really like this kids game. More so than Hardy or Barrett, to be honest.

FineAsSwine

He's from North Carolina too. Gives us a possible segue into other areas down that way if he works out good for us. I really hope he likes it here and commits.

Van Boarisson

I like the kid. And I know one thing. Richard is not concerned with being first or generating suspense for hits. Looking forward to seeing how this visit goes.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 26, 2017, 03:23:55 pm
No thanks. Would be a waste of scholarship if he can't play this year.

don't agree.. no guard is going to play much with what we have returning.... and recruited....

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 26, 2017, 06:04:19 pm
don't agree.. no guard is going to play much with what we have returning.... and recruited....

Thought the general consensus was we are missing a PG. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Atlhogfan1

Atlhogfan1

Hogberry Snortcake

HoopS

Solidly below average yet we just won 26 games and 27 two seasons before that. Makes sense. 

FineAsSwine

Otis

Quote from: HoopS on April 27, 2017, 06:19:38 pm
Solidly below average yet we just won 26 games and 27 two seasons before that. Makes sense.

How many top 25-30 teams have we beaten in those years?

ShadowHawg

RealHog

Quote from: HoopS on April 27, 2017, 06:19:38 pm

I think he is a good enough coach, it's just we never seen to land talent that does not have some close tie to AR through hometown or family. Take Brad underwood  for instance. Stellar Coach, but he went after recruiting talent for his staff because he prefers to coach. CMA is not the typical extrovert/salesman/recruiter personality, which is fine, I just wish he would go hire a proven recruiter with real connections. A football example of this is Coach Michael Smith is the main reason we are able to land solid talent from LA. Nowadays a recruiter on staff is nearly of not more important than a actaul X and O coach. Look at Rick Stansbury as assistant for Tamu and Pelphrey for Alabama. Pel excelled in recruiting, he just wasn't a head coach. CMA I think is a good head coach, he and his staff just struggle to land the big talent from outside of AR in recruiting. Ace recruiters on staff are a big thing now.

azhog10

Quote from: RealHog on April 28, 2017, 12:18:44 am
I think he is a good enough coach, it's just we never seen to land talent that does not have some close tie to AR through hometown or family. Take Brad underwood  for instance. Stellar Coach, but he went after recruiting talent for his staff because he prefers to coach. CMA is not the typical extrovert/salesman/recruiter personality, which is fine, I just wish he would go hire a proven recruiter with real connections. A football example of this is Coach Michael Smith is the main reason we are able to land solid talent from LA. Nowadays a recruiter on staff is nearly of not more important than a actaul X and O coach. Look at Rick Stansbury as assistant for Tamu and Pelphrey for Alabama. Pel excelled in recruiting, he just wasn't a head coach. CMA I think is a good head coach, he and his staff just struggle to land the big talent from outside of AR in recruiting. Ace recruiters on staff are a big thing now.
Want to talk about apples and oranges. Comparing football and basketball recruiting isn't realistic.

The_Bionic_Pig

FINAL WARNING!!!

Listen this is the last time I'm chasing thread's to clean up personal attack's against prospective Razorback player's.

Next time I'm just going to get Wilson and he doesn't play ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hogimus Prime

IMO Harris would be a good addition.  I really don't think a pg is as big a need.  Barford and Macon both need the ball in their hands to create put a pg out there to run things and Barford and Macon are not as effective.  Harris would sit out a season get some experience in the system and be a big help for thr 2018-19 season. I'm not saying he has to come in and average double figures just at worst be a Durham type.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 28, 2017, 07:14:06 am
IMO Harris would be a good addition.  I really don't think a pg is as big a need.  Barford and Macon both need the ball in their hands to create put a pg out there to run things and Barford and Macon are not as effective.  Harris would sit out a season get some experience in the system and be a big help for thr 2018-19 season. I'm not saying he has to come in and average double figures just at worst be a Durham type.

I agree, Macon and Barford are able to get their own shot. Harris will be a nice facilitator to have on hand with the team the following year though because we will have a team full of athletic guys who can finish at the rim.

HoopS

Quote from: Otis on April 27, 2017, 09:20:19 pm
How many top 25-30 teams have we beaten in those years?
I don't know but this year we went on the road and beat South Carolina who just played for the national title. Rankings mean squat. He's winning ballgames at the highest clip we've seen here in two decades yet if you read fans like your takes, you'd swear we average about 12 wins a season. It's very strange to watch from a distance. Gotta be more to this than results for some.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HoopS on April 28, 2017, 07:51:27 am
He's winning ballgames at the highest clip we've seen here in two decades yet if you read fans like your takes, you'd swear we average about 12 wins a season. It's very strange to watch from a distance. Gotta be more to this than results for some.

It is but they would never admit it. HogCard might but that's about it.

NWAHog479

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on April 28, 2017, 07:51:27 am
I don't know but this year we went on the road and beat South Carolina who just played for the national title. Rankings mean squat. He's winning ballgames at the highest clip we've seen here in two decades yet if you read fans like your takes, you'd swear we average about 12 wins a season. It's very strange to watch from a distance. Gotta be more to this than results for some.

It isn't racist to point out the 14-15 team beat 0 ranked teams and had these results when they played one:
L I St 95-77
L UK 84-67
L UK 78-63
L UNC 87-78

Race has no part in a poster pointing out we played the easiest schedule in the SEC that season.

It isn't racist to look at this past season and the results against the ranked or better teams we played this season. 

L Minn 85-71
L Fl 81-72
L UK 97-71
L Ok St 99-71
W SC 83-76 during a stretch SC went 3-6
L Fl 78-65
L UK 82-65
L UNC 72-65  - finally actually competitive and nearly won a game against this level of competition

Not racist to again point out we played one of the easier schedules in the SEC. 

Your accusation is dumb and hollow.  You made your quip about "27 wins" and "26 wins".  Deal with some Hog fans will actually think beyond those numbers as to what happened in getting there. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 28, 2017, 12:37:51 am
Want to talk about apples and oranges. Comparing football and basketball recruiting isn't realistic.

Holy hell.  You try comparing the two programs all of the time in efforts to deflect criticism from the basketball program. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 28, 2017, 09:23:20 am
It isn't racist to point out the 14-15 team beat 0 ranked teams and had these results when they played one:
L I St 95-77
L UK 84-67
L UK 78-63
L UNC 87-78

Race has no part in a poster pointing out we played the easiest schedule in the SEC that season.

It isn't racist to look at this past season and the results against the ranked or better teams we played this season. 

L Minn 85-71
L Fl 81-72
L UK 97-71
L Ok St 99-71
L Fl 78-65
L UK 82-65
L UNC 72-65  - finally actually competitive and nearly won a game against this level of competition

Your accusation is dumb and hollow.  You made your quip about "27 wins" and "26 wins".  Deal with some Hog fans will actually think beyond those numbers as to what happened in getting there.

He said some. Maybe he wasn't talking about you.  :-\

HoopS

L I St 95-77
L UK 84-67
L UK 78-63
L UNC 87-78

L Minn 85-71
L Fl 81-72
L UK 97-71
L Ok St 99-71
L Fl 78-65
L UK 82-65

I didn't accuse anyone of racism. Reread. People can not like a person for other reasons. You read into that what you wanted to. Seems like a guilty consciounce coming out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on April 28, 2017, 09:51:27 am
I didn't accuse anyone of racism. Reread. People can not like a person for other reasons. You read into that what you wanted to. Seems like a guilty consciounce coming out.

::)

HoopS

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 28, 2017, 09:59:56 am
::)
roll your eyes all you want.

You seem awfully mad and defensive about things. Very strange behavior.

ArkansasI

L I St 95-77
L UK 84-67
L UK 78-63
L UNC 87-78

L Minn 85-71
L Fl 81-72
L UK 97-71
L Ok St 99-71
L Fl 78-65
L UK 82-65

Thanks for the facts Atlhogfan1.  My concerns with the basketball program have always been about the results, and nothing more.  It is difficult to criticize Mike for fear that others will churn it into something it isn't - veiled, not veiled, or whatever.

The optimism for the future of our basketball program appears surprisingly rosey.  We have some nice players returning, and several fine recruits.  However, the losses of Kingsley, Hannahs, Watkins and possibly Macon will be felt.  These guys were heavily relied upon to accomplish results that I consider somewhat unambitious.  Arkansas has fired former coaches with better results.

It appears that other SEC teams are improving:  Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mizzou and Vanderbilt are on the rise.  LSU can't get worse.  South Carolina has accomplished something they can build upon.  Kentucky and Florida own us.  I can't figure out Georgia, Tennessee or Texas A&M.

Our hopes seem pinned upon Mike consistently producing at levels he has not yet achieved at Arkansas.  Mike has been a head coach 15+ years, and in 6 years as Arkansas's coach he has taken the Hogs to the second round of the NCAA tournament - twice.

Right now, I'm hoping we do as well in 2017-18.

Hawg Red

Has anyone heard how this visit went? It's been pretty quiet, so I'm assuming nothing may come of this player and the Hogs.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 28, 2017, 01:17:56 pm
Has anyone heard how this visit went? It's been pretty quiet, so I'm assuming nothing may come of this player and the Hogs.

Not a peep on this yet. Interesting.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 28, 2017, 01:15:52 pm

It appears that other SEC teams are improving:  Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mizzou and Vanderbilt are on the rise.

They are improving? on the rise?...Mike has a pretty good record against them, yet no optimism?  My guess, we'll be no lower than 3rd most wins over the next six years..

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 28, 2017, 01:33:06 pm
They are improving? on the rise?...Mike has a pretty good record against them, yet no optimism?  My guess, we'll be no lower than 3rd most wins over the next six years..

Arkansas is always in a freefall. It happens every year but we beat the projections almost every time. I'm with ya, when the dust settles, we will be in the top tier of the SEC.