Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jalen Harris

Started by HardingHog, April 26, 2017, 03:04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

reddawg213

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 27, 2017, 02:12:48 pm
We have options which is nice and as an AR kid, I want Glasper to graduate from here... Met him at a tourney this summer when he was watching his brother, seems like a class act kid.

Yeah, I've met him a few times over the years. Really good kid. A lot more athletic than people would think he is too. His auntie was telling me a few weeks ago he's already at 60 hours so he will likely graduate early. If he bounces, I hope CMA and staff will at least try to mend that relationship with the family because he'll still have time on the clock and could do a grad transfer back which is why I think he's looking at leaving for a lower tier school if there isn't a scholarship for him.

That and his lil brother isn't a joke either. Most people I've talked to seem to think he'll be better than RJ. I would hate to lose out on a top tier local recruit because the program left a bad taste in the family's mouth, you know?

King Kong

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 27, 2017, 02:12:48 pm
We have options which is nice and as an AR kid, I want Glasper to graduate from here... Met him at a tourney this summer when he was watching his brother, seems like a class act kid.

Yeah I bugged him CJ and Macon when the sat in my row at the SEC Tournament. Very nice kid

poloprince

Sign buddy up and let him sit out  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

1hawgballer2

Quote from: reddawg213 on April 27, 2017, 11:12:36 am
I wouldn't take it as a knock on the kid but a tactical mistake on the coaches part. After the tourney performance, it seems the coaches thought they could land a top tier PG given that they have a bunch of seniors next year and Glasper (a walk on) as the only returning PG on the roster. If they got a 4-star level PG to come on board, they viewed it as an upgrade at the position and hopefully, Glasper stays another as a walk-on to provide depth. So they held onto the scholarship and made their move. However, Glasper and his family don't seem to want to pay another year out of pocket and he's looking at moving on to another school. Furthermore, the Hogs have struck out on every major PG they went after. Which brings us here . . . . . at least that's my view of things so far.

Openly admitting I'm a little biased (Being from FC) . . . . . . . . on paper, I think that he's a better option than most HS recruits you could pick up this late. He was a stellar HS player. He averaged 27 pts, 6 rebs, 9 asts and 4 stls as a senior and was the leading offensive player in both of FCs state titles. FC went from 26-3 last year with a state title (against a solid, Shawn Williams lead Maumelle team) to 9-18 this year without Glasper and getting blown out 100-71 in the first round. There was a lot of buzz about him walking on and a lot of buzz about him coming out this fall before his injury. Add that to the fact that he knows the offense and has been in the system for a year I think it might be better to keep him on the roster and grab a transfer for next year. At worst, Glasper should be a very solid all-around guard off the bench.

But, again, I'm a little biased.

Comments: I tend to agree with much of your thought process, bringing in a transfer red shirt PG, give Glasper a season to show his worth, I'm also pulling for the young man to show out this upcoming season

mhuff

It's hard to compare PG's by reputation. I have not seen any of them play. I am getting the feeling that Glasper is a player that can score ,yet he can distribute the ball as well. Harris does not appear to excel on either front. Hope we do not lose Glasper.

NorthChuckHog

Glasper is a freshman and already has taken 60 hours while playing basketball? That's impressive.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: mhuff on April 28, 2017, 12:32:16 pm
It's hard to compare PG's by reputation. I have not seen any of them play. I am getting the feeling that Glasper is a player that can score ,yet he can distribute the ball as well. Harris does not appear to excel on either front. Hope we do not lose Glasper.

New Mexico was 7 GUARDS deep this past season (10 on the roster)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

reddawg213

Quote from: NorthChuckHog on April 28, 2017, 01:10:36 pm
Glasper is a freshman and already has taken 60 hours while playing basketball? That's impressive.

Yeah, he was strong academically at Forrest City and apparently went into the Fayetteville with college hours. Trey seems to have had the same as he is already graduating but I don't know his family that well so can't confirm that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: reddawg213 on April 28, 2017, 02:31:08 pm
Yeah, he was strong academically at Forrest City and apparently went into the Fayetteville with college hours. Trey seems to have had the same as he is already graduating but I don't know his family that well so can't confirm that.

I figured Glasper had credits earned in high school if he's already at 60 hours. Quality young man.

CallThoseHawgs

Razorod

Welcome to the Hogs Mr. Harris. WPS!!!
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hawg Red

Alright, alright, alright.

High-upside kid and Lobo fans badly wanted him to stay. Think we got a steal. Hopefully this wraps up recruiting for 2017 and everyone is back for another at the S16 and beyond.

Razorod

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 28, 2017, 10:32:02 pm
Alright, alright, alright.

High-upside kid and Lobo fans badly wanted him to stay. Think we got a steal. Hopefully this wraps up recruiting for 2017 and everyone is back for another at the S16 and beyond.
Agreed.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Pig in the Pokey

Welcome, Jalen!! he of the SICK handles and sicker dunks. WELCOME ABOARD, SON!!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HardingHog

April 28, 2017, 11:02:42 pm #64 Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:20:01 pm by HardingHog
I like it! Hope he continues to grow his game and fills out his frame a bit and eventually becomes a good contributor in a couple seasons after Beard, Macon, and Barford move on. Excited about his potential and I believe he'll be playing at a high level once he gets his chance. Woo Pig  :razorback:

RealHog

Hey! Hoping he can be a great PG for us! Hoping for the best

King Kong

I like his film. Hopefully, the year off will help him raise his game

Pinto

We might finally have someone who can consistently beat the defender off the dribble

MGB1229

Quote from: Pinto on April 29, 2017, 07:29:36 am
We might finally have someone who can consistently beat the defender off the dribble

I think we got a steal.  You can tell the fans don't want him to leave there.  To have his experience coming in after next year will be invaluable.  He is a blur in the open court and finishes well.  Excited to have someone with his abilities on the team. 

Big Nasty 34

I think he's got a little Macon in him. Similar body types and athleticism. They both have good handles and have a lot of the same moves I.e. The big crossover. Macon is obviously a better shooter, but looks like Harris will be a better true passing point guard. He will be a big asset in practice this year, too.

King Kong

Hopefully having 2 guards (Harris and Garland) with experience with MA's system and conditioning will help make as smooth transition for the 2018 class.

Ironhawg

Glad he wasn't deterred by the weather.  Welcome aboard!  I hope Glasper stays.  With his injury this last season he really hasn't had a chance to show what he can do yet.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: King Kong on April 29, 2017, 08:58:16 am
Hopefully having 2 guards (Harris and Garland) with experience with MA's system and conditioning will help make as smooth transition for the 2018 class.

probably means we take a 4/5 with our 1 opening next year...... for now anyway....

Swinesong1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 29, 2017, 12:01:12 pm
probably means we take a 4/5 with our 1 opening next year...... for now anyway....
Currently, 2 slots open for 2018 class.  Losing Beard, Thomas, Thompson, Cook, Macon n Barford (6).  Commits thus far:  Henderson, Perry, Joe n Sills (4)

Nipsey Mussle

I really like his first step and his overall athleticism, as well as his handles. He needs to add a little muscle and put a lot of work in on his 3 point shooting, which he can certainly do while sitting out for a year. Does anyone have an idea about his defensive ability?

As a side note, one big change in the program is that we're now getting so many guards who are 6'2+ and very athletic. I think we lost sight of that for a while.

I'm happy with this pick up, and welcome him with open arms.

HognitiveDissonance

So what's the story on how he got to New Mexico?

I realize highlight tapes are designed to showcase a player, but just looking at his tape he has obvious skills and athleticism, enough to suggest landing at a school with more pedigree than the Lobos (no offense intended to them). So what's the scoop? Grades, offcourt issues, 3-pt shot lacking? What?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 29, 2017, 03:17:03 pm
So what's the story on how he got to New Mexico?

I realize highlight tapes are designed to showcase a player, but just looking at his tape he has obvious skills and athleticism, enough to suggest landing at a school with more pedigree than the Lobos (no offense intended to them). So what's the scoop? Grades, offcourt issues, 3-pt shot lacking? What?

The coach was a great recruiter who got several other 4* players to commit in that recruiting class.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Nolan's Boots

Can someone who is excited about this pickup please help me understand how 4 points and 2 assists is supposed to help this team.
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hampagne Life on April 29, 2017, 05:42:08 pm
Can someone who is excited about this pickup please help me understand how 4 points and 2 assists is supposed to help this team.

He'll best that as a redshirt sophomore and you really just need to read the thread for logic and reasoning as to why.

HoopS

True frosh with obvious ball skills who maybe chose the wrong system out of HS. Remember how good Jabril was at PG his senior year. This kid could easily surpass that level and he seems to be a willing distributor and that's a plus.

ArkansasI

Jalen looks like a stud. Go Hogs!

daBoar

Can someone who is excited about this pickup please help me understand how 4 points and 2 assists is supposed to help this team - next season?
fixed that.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2017, 07:27:10 pm
Was something promisd to Glasper that is not being delivered? Why else would he hold a grudge against Anderson?

Hog offers are becoming highly prized among instate recruits. More pressure to commit early to secure a spot and those who don't make it can understandably be disappointed.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Nolan's Boots

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2017, 06:21:29 pm
He'll best that as a redshirt sophomore and you really just need to read the thread for logic and reasoning as to why.

You are right I was being lazy .  Long night last night.  I wasnt very high on Bennett but I think he could have given us 4 and 2 as well as being able to play this year. Or save the scholly and try to recruit a better option for 2018

I think practicing with the team for a year is overrated. You either have it or you dont and if your good enough you'll play.  Alandise Harris practiced with the team a year, so did Dustin Thomas and Keaton Miles. A lot of people thought Miles was such a great system fit even though he his play at WVU was subpar to put it nicely.

I hope this kid helps this team and turns out to be a gamer. But this seems like a reach to me after all other options fell through.
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hampagne Life on April 29, 2017, 08:09:35 pm
You are right I was being lazy .  Long night last night.  I wasnt very high on Bennett but I think he could have given us 4 and 2 as well as being able to play this year. Or save the scholly and try to recruit a better option for 2018

I think practicing with the team for a year is overrated. You either have it or you dont and if your good enough you'll play.  Alandise Harris practiced with the team a year, so did Dustin Thomas and Keaton Miles. A lot of people thought Miles was such a great system fit even though he his play at WVU was subpar to put it nicely.

I hope this kid helps this team and turns out to be a gamer. But this seems like a reach to me after all other options fell through.

Just my opinion, but I think Harris were eligible next season, and he got around 20 minutes a game, he's giving the Hogs 6-8 PPG and 3-4 APG. And that's solid production for a reserve guard. I'm basing this off what I know of his game, Arkansas' game, and comparing/contrasting how he was used at New Mexico. This kid can go. Good size, plus athlete. Nothing to sneeze at. He was getting up 3 shots a game at New Mexico. That is a pace of play/usage issue to me, not a kid not producing. How much can you do on 3 shots a game? This kid is going to be much, much better in Arkansas' system.

I like Anderson's history with transfers. Keaton Miles didn't pan out but you can see why Anderson take a shot on him. Harris was a polarizing player but he definitely brought a couple of needed elements to the team. I know more than a few posters just set their expectations too high on him. Hannahs was obviously a GREAT addition. Thomas was up and down in his first year as a Hog but we should give him his full time to show us how good of an addition he was. I trust that Anderson will bring in useful players when he's given the opportunity to see D1 tape on them.

Deeznutts

This kid is ridiculous in an open offense. His handles are stupid.

nwahogfan1

Mike signs way to many combo types who can not find minutes in games.  Basketball teams still need kids who are really good at rebounding and assists/running the team.  I love PGs and PFs who does their jobs well.

Cavosea1

What was his rating in high school?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hampagne Life on April 29, 2017, 08:09:35 pm

I think practicing with the team for a year is overrated. You either have it or you dont and if your good enough you'll play.  Alandise Harris practiced with the team a year, so did Dustin Thomas and Keaton Miles.

Dusty Hannahs as a Soph at TxTech 7.7 ppg on 22 mpg and .378 FG%
Dusty Hannahs as a Jr. at Ark after sitting out a year 16.5 ppg on 27 mpg and .458 FG%

Sitting out a year didn't help him at all.  No improvement there

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogwood

First off, not many freshman even average that. Neither Bailey or Jones did and I'm pretty sure most are excited about them returning.

Second is that people only seem to mention Miles or Kouassi as transfers but conveniently forget about Hannahs and Alandise. I think Jalen will join the latter group.

HOGINTENNESSEE

April 30, 2017, 05:19:01 pm #90 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:37:13 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 30, 2017, 12:10:34 pm
Dusty Hannahs as a Jr. at Ark after sitting out a year 16.5 ppg on 27 mpg and .458 FG%

He couldn't mention him because it disproves the BS statement he made ll

HoopS

We have a segment of fans with no vision whatsoever. All players are stuck statically and developmentally. Forget what he averaged for a different system. Look at his skills and realize he's only 1 year out of HS. He isn't finished developing. This system seems to fit his skill set better. In no way does this resemble us bringing in Miles, Thomas or Kouassi. Just asinine to even suggest. If I had to compare it to anything it would be Whitt leaving us for a better opportunity elsewhere after one year. A year to develop and adjust while being a solid practice player to work against our guys this year.

lumphog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 30, 2017, 12:10:34 pm

Agree...... THIS guy is gonna be a stud with a year under his belt... STUD!!!!

hogwood

Quote from: HoopS on April 30, 2017, 05:21:15 pm
We have a segment of fans with no vision whatsoever. All players are stuck statically and developmentally. Forget what he averaged for a different system. Look at his skills and realize he's only 1 year out of HS. He isn't finished developing. This system seems to fit his skill set better. In no way does this resemble us bringing in Miles, Thomas or Kouassi. Just asinine to even suggest. If I had to compare it to anything it would be Whitt leaving us for a better opportunity elsewhere after one year. A year to develop and adjust while being a solid practice player to work against our guys this year.

IMO Thomas shouldn't be mentioned there either. He was a solid contributor this year on a good team, unlike Kouassi or Miles. Plus Thomas has another year to develop.

FineAsSwine

Glad to put the finishing touch on the '17 class. Gonna be some really competitive practices cause this kid is going to kick the pace up another notch with how fast he gets the ball up the court.

Now, if we can just find another walk on if Glasper leaves.
Hogs up! Covid down!

NWAHog479

At first glance his numbers scared me, but after watching more film I can't wait to have him on the court...