Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: '17 Hog offer Shakwon Barrett to announce college choice on Wednesday

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 24, 2017, 10:58:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 26, 2017, 11:54:25 am
I believe Hardy's visit at UNLV ends today. If he makes it to another visit, should we feel better?

I would. Especially considering the fact UNLV's recruiting has a ton of momentum picking up Brandon McCoy

gmarv

Maybe I missed it but is there any word out on what time today he is suppose to announce?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: gmarv on April 26, 2017, 12:56:54 pm
Maybe I missed it but is there any word out on what time today he is suppose to announce?

4:30 CT today.

razorpimp

Looks like we are getting another wonderful, stupendous transfer lucky us...

#thisstaffcantrecruit

NWAHog479

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Dwight_K_Shrute

Don't know if this is Eastern Or Central
[tweet]857254188643909632[/tweet]
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 26, 2017, 04:41:05 pm
It's 4:40, what'd he announce?

He bumped the announcement back some ... he messaged me a few minutes ago that it's Tulane, just wants to announce it live in Canada before I tweet it.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pinto

Man I hope things go as planned. Lord have mercy on my Hogs please lol

jjdlc

Lol, yesterday, everyone was convinced if Barrett chose Tulane it meant we get Hardy, today everyone believes it means we struck out on both.  Bipolar Hogville

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 26, 2017, 05:14:09 pm
Patience...

You know I'm 100% behind MA and staff Stewie and no one can control where these kids end up, but Tulane and UNLV after the season we just had.  What gives?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

wavybone

EverydayAllDay

HawgTide

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HawgTide on April 26, 2017, 05:25:40 pm
Calling it now -  Macon is coming back with Barford

I mean honestly rerecruiting Barford and Macon and having both come back are bigger gets/wins at least in the short term than anyone we were on.  They come back and have a Sweet 16 or better year and recruiting in long run should be fine.

HawgTide

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 26, 2017, 05:29:30 pm
I mean honestly rerecruiting Barford and Macon and having both come back are bigger gets/wins at least in the short term than anyone we were on.  They come back and have a Sweet 16 or better year and recruiting in long run should be fine.

Bingo. They are the biggest recruits for us by far

Hawg Red

Something is up. You don't pick Tulane over Arkansas. You pick Tulane when you can't go to Arkansas.

HawgTide

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 26, 2017, 05:41:56 pm
Kind of a different scenario really. And they still have a scholarship to fill, so there's that

No doubt. But if Macon and Barford come back there's not really a lot of minutes for a PG next year

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 26, 2017, 05:46:53 pm
Something is up. You don't pick Tulane over Arkansas. You pick Tulane when you can't go to Arkansas.

Seems to me the Hogs backed off on Barrett

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 26, 2017, 06:24:58 pm
Seems to me the Hogs backed off on Barrett
Probably a good idea when you realize you are losing a recruit to Tulane.

tophawg19

Next is all you can say but it stings when you lose out to UNLV and Tulane . This is not the old UNLV either
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 26, 2017, 07:08:49 pm
Next is all you can say but it stings when you lose out to UNLV and Tulane . This is not the old UNLV either

May not have "lost" this one to Tulane.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

King Kong

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 26, 2017, 07:08:49 pm

UNLV has continued to recruit well. Had the #1 overall just a few years back.

Received a commit from 5 star last night

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: rude1 on April 26, 2017, 06:59:04 pm
Probably a good idea when you realize you are losing a recruit to Tulane.

I considered this as a possibilty when I was told the Hogs passed on him Monday night. I also was told Hogs moved away from Weathers when it was obvious he was going to OKSt and when they wanted to focus on Hardy.

Nobody ever told me they moved on from Hardy or Zhaire Smith, though, so why not go with that narrative every time if that's the excuse for missing on players? My point is, I believe they moved on from Barrett. I think had Michigan given a committable offer to Barrett, he would have gone there. Hogs gave Barrett a conditional offer, too, while waiting on Hardy but they found someone else they liked better than Barrett.

I think the key here is that Arkansas landed 3/4s of its class early with players they wanted, quality players that fill needs. It meant that they didn't have to scramble or panic for warm bodies in the spring. No doubt they missed on ZSmith and Hardy, but this is a strong class already and as long as they don't go for a Doobie-esque reach with this last spot, there's nothing to see here.

Now, if Macon and/or Barford are gone and they wait till last minute to bolt like Portis and Qualls did, then Hogs are in a tough spot. If those guys come back, though, and let's say Hogs add this Harris guy, then they'll have plenty of squad next year to do damage ... then in 2018-19, they'll have 4 experienced sophomores (Gafford, Garland and Hall as true sophs and Harris as a 3rd-year soph) to go along with 3 experienced juniors (Jones, Bailey, and Hazen) all of which should help ease the departure of 6 seniors while ushering in 6 new faces in that 2018 class.

Summary: As long as Macon and Barford return, and as long as Hogs don't go for a Doobie-esque reach to fill this last spot, I think they are still on track for moving the needle forward in the program. We'll see.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Razorod on April 26, 2017, 11:07:54 am
With regard to Hardy, UNLV just picked up a commitment from a five star center prospect, Brandon McCoy. Wonder if they're trying to work an angle with Hardy to join McCoy. Get plenty of playing time and be the pg for a five star center prospect. Be a part of the class that brings back the glory days of the Runnin Rebs.

They might be building a strong spring recruiting class.

UNLV's class is ranked 12th nationally according to 247 ... last couple of days have been huge for the Rebs.