Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: '17 Hog offer Shakwon Barrett to announce college choice on Wednesday

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 24, 2017, 10:58:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

King Kong

Razorod

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

klp1

The real Hogules

Quote from: batmanfan on April 25, 2017, 05:56:37 am
Well if we can't beat out TULANE....

Don't say that, I remember a time in our past where Tulane beat us for a top end basketball recruit, whose name escapes me at the moment.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

je100

Quote from: The real Hogules on April 25, 2017, 07:35:57 am
Don't say that, I remember a time in our past where Tulane beat us for a top end basketball recruit, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Jerald Honeycutt.

King Kong

jry04

Nothing against this kid, but I think I would rather not hear him call the Hogs because it probably means we are having someone leave that we didn't expect (or did expect but hoped would change their mind.) I think Hardy, and a few others may be higher on the list personally.

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hawg Red

If Hardy is not an option, I wouldn't mind the Canadian connection of Barrett and Osabuohien. Obviously, I'd prefer Macon come back and we get Hardy, but that doesn't appear likely at this point.

HoopS

Love how you guys dismiss players so quick. Wouldn't recognize him if he elbowed you in the cheek. I bet most don't even know his skill set. He isn't Hardy though. And I bet most hadn't even heard of Hardy until not too long ago.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Razorod on April 25, 2017, 05:53:03 am
Does he have a committable offer from the Wolverines?

He had a "provisional offer" from Michigan, per a source. Michigan liked him a lot, but I was told 2 weeks ago that they were looking at a senior-grad transfer because they wanted a veteran to come in to run next year's team, which they think is going to be good lacking only a veteran backcourt leader. If they missed on the veteran, they wanted Shakwon. Yesterday, Michigan added that senior-transfer from Ohio U -- 6-1 PG Jaaron Simmons who averaged 15.9 points, 6.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds last year.

It would appear that it's down to Arkansas and Tulane. Now, if the Hogs feel good about Hardy or someone else they prefer, then Shakwon will likely announce for Tulane. But the Hogs offered him and Hardy only (Weathers, too, but once they realized he was OKSt bound after his coach was hired there, Hogs ended the charade) ... SOOO, my dot-connecting tells me he'll call the Hogs IF the offer still stands and IF they have moved on from Hardy.

We'll see what happens.

Kevin McPherson

From the Amauri Hardy thread a few days ago ...

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 19, 2017, 09:33:26 pm
* Lawsons ... I was told Hogs were not interested for variety of reasons.

* Crawford ... Hogs reached out after several schools did, not sure of the interest level but Hogs did not offer and Crawford never visited.

* Weathers ... Hogs did not whiff ... Weathers' HC at Miami (OH) was fired, Weathers and his twin brother announced they were transferring, and OKSt hired his just-fired HC as an asst ... fairly obvious that no other schools whiffed on this guy because he was going to follow his coach. Hogs were smart to move on when they did.

* Wooten ... Hogs re-offered him very quickly after he de-committed from Arizona State, so I'd say they were interested in him. Doesn't look very promising as far as getting him on campus for a visit, at least to this point.

* Hardy ... he may be looking for a place he can play right away, who knows, but I'd say too early to write him off.

* Barrett ... Michigan likes him (he's got a "provisionary offer" that I won't go into further at this time), Tulane and Hogs have offered.

* Hogs have some other irons in the fire, so we'll see how they proceed.

Razorod

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 25, 2017, 10:45:55 am
He had a "provisional offer" from Michigan, per a source. Michigan liked him a lot, but I was told 2 weeks ago that they were looking at a senior-grad transfer because they wanted a veteran to come in to run next year's team, which they think is going to be good lacking only a veteran backcourt leader. If they missed on the veteran, they wanted Shakwon. Yesterday, Michigan added that senior-transfer from Ohio U -- 6-1 PG Jaaron Simmons who averaged 15.9 points, 6.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds last year.

It would appear that it's down to Arkansas and Tulane. Now, if the Hogs feel good about Hardy or someone else they prefer, then Shakwon will likely announce for Tulane. But the Hogs offered him and Hardy only (Weathers, too, but once they realized he was OKSt bound after his coach was hired there, Hogs ended the charade) ... SOOO, my dot-connecting tells me he'll call the Hogs IF the offer still stands and IF they have moved on from Hardy.

We'll see what happens.
Thanks for the reply and clarification. Much appreciated.

King Kong

Hawg Red

If he's good enough for Michigan, he's good enough for Arkansas. They will be really good next year, so I understand the priority being plugging that hole left by Walton with some experience at the point. It's like the Hogs going after Barford and Cook last year instead of Payton Willis and Mitchell Smith. They needed some experience to bounce back with. Most years, Willis and Smith are probably Hogs. Different circumstance and Barrett is probably a Wolverine.

Scott7703

Are we sure his offer to Arkansas is commitable at this point? I've heard both ways but tend to believe Hardy gets the spot if he wants it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 25, 2017, 12:39:52 pm
Are we sure his offer to Arkansas is commitable at this point? I've heard both ways but tend to believe Hardy gets the spot if he wants it.

I have wondered that myself, but assumed since he was offered on his visit that it was legit.

jry04

Quote from: HoopS on April 25, 2017, 10:18:30 am
Love how you guys dismiss players so quick. Wouldn't recognize him if he elbowed you in the cheek. I bet most don't even know his skill set. He isn't Hardy though. And I bet most hadn't even heard of Hardy until not too long ago.
Point to one post who is dismissing him as not being good. I looked, and cannot find any.

I personally have no idea how any of these guys play, but I do know if we land this guy it likely means Macon isn't returning because we are still holding out hope for Hardy, too. That is why i don't want him. I have seen Hardy in person, and he is a pretty good sized guard. After that, all I know is what I have read and what their offers are. It may be great news to get this guy, but will be a bit bittersweet in the fact the staff probably knows we are losing Macon.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 25, 2017, 12:39:52 pm

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 25, 2017, 12:40:48 pm
I have wondered that myself, but assumed since he was offered on his visit that it was legit.

Go back and read my post ... lots of "IF"s in there ... the only thing we can be "sure" of in recruiting is that things change quickly. Barrett was given an offer on his visit to Arkansas. I got that from 2 reliable sources and was the first to report it. National outlets followed by reporting it, then another local reporter got around to publicly acknowledging it.

But, was the Hogs' offer "provisional" too? Was it committable then, but not now? Was it NOT committable then, but it is now? Has it always been committable, and Shakwon was waiting to see what happened at Michigan? Inquiring minds want to know, but if things go as expected and he announces tomorrow, we'll know answers to some if not all of those questions.

Based on this and other things going on (some piecing together of multiple source info), I feel confident regarding what is going to happen. Not going to spill those beans here because I don't want to foil Shakwon's chance to announce his intentions, or tip off other scenarios involving other recruits. This college recruiting game is wild, though, so many moving pieces that things change daily, sometimes hourly.

HoopS

Quote from: jry04 on April 25, 2017, 12:50:46 pm
Point to one post who is dismissing him as not being good. I looked, and cannot find any.

In a thread about him there's posts saying they'd rather not have him. Call it what you want. I call it dismissing a player you probably wouldn't even recognize based off of film you may or may not have seen. I remember the same kind of comments in the past. You're certainly entitled to not wanting us to sign him or whoever else. I'm entitled to respond to those kind of posts.

Hawg Red

Kevin McPherson

Scott7703

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 25, 2017, 09:27:59 pm
Best news hog fans could get is his commitment to Tulane.

Well unless that happens and then we still don't get Hardy

That being said a lot of our recruiting guys are being very quite on this one outside of KM. I'm wondering if that means he is going to Tulane.

Then again maybe it was just a situation of Barrett waiting until Michigan was officially out of it for him

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 25, 2017, 09:29:53 pm
Well unless that happens and then we still don't get Hardy

That being said a lot of our recruiting guys are being very quite on this one outside of KM. I'm wondering if that means he is going to Tulane.

Then again maybe it was just a situation of Barrett waiting until Michigan was officially out of it for him

It shouldn't matter what they think they know, he was offered very recently by Hogs so just like any kid in that situation it's worth reporting. I know what's happening here but won't say, letting the young man have his moment.

hoofer

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 25, 2017, 10:53:09 pm
It shouldn't matter what they think they know, he was offered very recently by Hogs so just like any kid in that situation it's worth reporting. I know what's happening here but won't say, letting the young man have his moment.

This would be a hard sell as a good use of our last scholarship for 2017. I'm very interested to see your candid take. He's obviously a B/C list recruit. If we lose out on Hardy which it appears we will, I'd much rather us use this last scholarship on a big body like the kid from SW Christian. At least he will contribute at some point.

This kid here is a complete project that has played against very weak competition in Canada. Really wanted to see them go find a strong last addition to this class that could come in and contribute year 1. That's what our competition in the SEC is doing.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 25, 2017, 09:27:59 pm
Best news hog fans could get is his commitment to Tulane.

I'm not as sold on Hardy as some of you guys. Barrett displayed better court vision in his films than I saw from Hardy.

I don't think taking Barrett says anything about Macon either. If Macon were already gone it would be known.

I would still love to get Hardy but I see his game as being more oriented towards scoring.

I like the idea of Barrett helping our bigs be more productive on offense like Durham did for Moses. Would love to have either or both of them. Hope he chooses us tomorrow.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hoofer on April 25, 2017, 11:25:54 pm
This would be a hard sell as a good use of our last scholarship for 2017. I'm very interested to see your candid take. He's obviously a B/C list recruit. If we lose out on Hardy which it appears we will, I'd much rather us use this last scholarship on a big body like the kid from SW Christian. At least he will contribute at some point.

This kid here is a complete project that has played against very weak competition in Canada. Really wanted to see them go find a strong last addition to this class that could come in and contribute year 1. That's what our competition in the SEC is doing.

He played at Findlay Prep. Saw him drop a couple of dimes to Alonzo Trier in his highlights. What's significant about that is Findlay plays very tough competition for one, and he was getting minutes on their varsity as a sophomore at a school that recruits nationwide and has produced 11 McDonald's AA since 2010.

Hardly a complete project or even b/c recruit when compared to Hardy.

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 25, 2017, 10:53:09 pm

It agree. However, it is odd as of last night only you and Otis has reported it. Which would be uncommon if a kid was about to commit to Arkansas

jry04

Quote from: HoopS on April 25, 2017, 01:43:56 pm
In a thread about him there's posts saying they'd rather not have him. Call it what you want. I call it dismissing a player you probably wouldn't even recognize based off of film you may or may not have seen. I remember the same kind of comments in the past. You're certainly entitled to not wanting us to sign him or whoever else. I'm entitled to respond to those kind of posts.
I was the one who said it, and I wasn't dismissing his talents. I literally explained why I didn't want a commitment from him. It has nothing to do with his talents and everything to do with me wanting to have hope Macon is returning. I admitted I have never seen this kid play before. Literally the only thing I know about the kid is where he plays, his size, and the offers that are reported. Don't read into it anymore than what was said. If this kid commits, based on the other players we have offers out for, I will assume Macon is as good as gone. He may be already, but until he signs with an agent I have hope he is at least on the fence. There is no other meaning behind MY comments.

With that being said, if he commits to us then great. I will be rooting for him to have a great career. Some of these late signees workout for teams. Most were dogging Dikembe Dixson a few years ago when we were recruiting him. I would kill to have him on this team now.

Pinto

ArkansasI

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 26, 2017, 01:54:07 am
I'm not as sold on Hardy as some of you guys. Barrett displayed better court vision in his films than I saw from Hardy.

I don't think taking Barrett says anything about Macon either. If Macon were already gone it would be known.

I would still love to get Hardy but I see his game as being more oriented towards scoring.

I like the idea of Barrett helping our bigs be more productive on offense like Durham did for Moses. Would love to have either or both of them. Hope he chooses us tomorrow.

I like this opinion and, based upon the limited film I've seen, agree with hope that all these guys are good players.

Does anybody wonder if Macon's desire to come back may be tied to eligibility?

ShadowHawg

Where are you people linking this guy to Macon leaving? He was being reported as visiting before Hardy visited.

It seems more like it was always a deal where whoever committed first was getting this spot. It's not like we weren't looking at multiple pg's before people thought Macon might leave.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 26, 2017, 09:54:03 am
Does anybody wonder if Macon's desire to come back may be tied to eligibility?

Yes. The rumors of him not attending class are very concerning.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 26, 2017, 09:58:29 am
Yes. The rumors of him not attending class are very concerning.

Eligibility concerns would make more sense than the though that leaving for overseas would somehow accelerate his dream of playing in the NBA.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 26, 2017, 09:57:40 am
Where are you people linking this guy to Macon leaving? He was being reported as visiting before Hardy visited.

It seems more like it was always a deal where whoever committed first was getting this spot. It's not like we weren't looking at multiple pg's before people thought Macon might leave.

Agreed. The staff has been looking at PGs for a long time. Even if they've known Macon is leaving for a while now, it's still a long-term need (even a short-term one).

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 26, 2017, 06:28:34 am
It agree. However, it is odd as of last night only you and Otis has reported it. Which would be uncommon if a kid was about to commit to Arkansas

Well, it's called smoke and mirrors. If you're not breaking the story (interest, offer, visit, etc.) the best and smart thing to do is keep a low profile because only a very small percentage of kids who draw interest, then draw an offer, then visit, etc., will end up at any school, including Arkansas. Makes it easy to sell the narrative "I didn't report it because nothing to see here" after the fact.

Once the recruiting folks KNOW what's about to happen, those who were not out in front can stay quiet and pretend to be smart later. Those bringing info often feel compromised, though, because once they know what is about to happen, they feel they owe it to the prospect (who gave them access and info) to have their time in the sun to make the announcement their way. Part of that is continuing to report even when you know the outcome.

I could spill it right now what is going to happen, but that would ruin trust.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 26, 2017, 10:01:36 am
Eligibility concerns would make more sense than the though that leaving for overseas would somehow accelerate his dream of playing in the NBA.

Agreed.

But you never know what these kids are thinking. Either way, I still think it's unfortunate if Macon leaves for whatever reason because I fear it won't end very well for him. He was/is poised for a big opportunity as a senior on a rising team in a seemingly rising conference. Could have brought a lot of attention on himself.

mhuff

mhuff

Hogdayafternoon, I appreciate your info and integrity. Recognized it in our dealings earlier. Keep up the good info.

Razorod

With regard to Hardy, UNLV just picked up a commitment from a five star center prospect, Brandon McCoy. Wonder if they're trying to work an angle with Hardy to join McCoy. Get plenty of playing time and be the pg for a five star center prospect. Be a part of the class that brings back the glory days of the Runnin Rebs.

They might be building a strong spring recruiting class.

NWAHog479

I'm completely fine with us starting a pipeline to Findlay Prep, they pump talent in and out of that school every single year!

Hawg Red

I believe Hardy's visit at UNLV ends today. If he makes it to another visit, should we feel better?