Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for Richard Davenport: Trace Young

Started by Van Boarisson, April 23, 2017, 08:58:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Boarisson

6'8 guard from Kentucky that played at Huntington Prep. Recent follows from Scotty and TJ and he's following them. Any chance we take a look at him? Good offer list and he is very athletic and gets up. Listed as a guard. Thanks in advance.

Van Boarisson

Listed as a 3 * on Rivals. He's flown under the radar due to playing at so many schools. Guy on the UK Rivals board says he knows him personally and is a great kid.

Van Boarisson

Here's an article on when/why the transfer to HP

Trace Young, ranked among the state's top basketball players in the Class of 2017, announced Thursday he is transferring to Huntington (W.Va.) Prep for his final two seasons of high school basketball.

The 6-foot-8 guard averaged 9.5 points and 5.4 rebounds in 14 games as a sophomore at Apollo High School last season after transferring from Ohio County. He joined the Ohio County varsity program as a seventh-grader and helped the Eagles reach the Sweet 16 as an eighth-grader.

Young said he also considered IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., and 22 Feet Academy in Greenville, S.C. He plans to enroll at Huntington on Friday.

"At Huntington I'll get to play against the top players in the nation every day in practice," Young said. "It will help me get better and help me make that jump to my freshman year of college instead of having to redshirt."

Young already has several scholarship offers, including from Virginia Tech, DePaul, South Florida, Southern California, Murray State, Massachusetts and Western Kentucky.

"I'm just enjoying the process," he said. "I don't have any favorites right now."

Young is the third high-profile player to transfer from Apollo in recent weeks. Eli Wright, who would have been a top contender for Kentucky's Mr. Basketball award in 2016, announced earlier this month he will play his senior season at IMG Academy. Wright committed to Mississippi State on Monday.

Ben Moss, a 5-9 senior guard, announced last week he will attend 22 Feet Academy. He averaged 5.7 points per game last season and reportedly has scholarship offers from Eastern Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State.

Evidently there's a lot of politics in HS sports at Apollo HS in Ohio Co, KY. Was on Caliparis radar for a bit in 2016.

FineAsSwine

Love the size with guard skills. If the staff thinks he is a good fit, I would be excited about this one.

Van Boarisson

Agreed. Has decent handles and nice form on the jumper. Of course all we see is highlights so I'm sure he misses plenty. Very small frame but I love the way he attacks the rim. Gets "eye level" on a lot of those dunks.

Swinesong1

Did he end up at Huntington or North Hardin?

Van Boarisson

Pretty sure he played his JR year at HP then transferred to North Hardin.

HardingHog

He's gone to more schools than the rest of Kentucky combined  ;D

Richard Davenport

As of now. there's nothing to report. Obviously could change.

Van Boarisson

Quote from: Richard Davenport on April 24, 2017, 11:39:06 am
As of now. there's nothing to report. Obviously could change.

Thanks. Appreciate your due diligence and reporting things the right way.