Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The bunt to end the no hitter

Started by micali, April 20, 2017, 07:56:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PintailKiller

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 20, 2017, 02:02:39 pm
I suppose that makes sense, That is just not a call I would make as a coach.

You're job as a coach is to put your team in the best position to win the game.  If it takes a bunt when you're down 2-0, ok.  The no-no part is irrelevant.  You are trying to win the game.  Just 2 weeks ago, the Hogs were kicking LSU around the park and a couple of things happen and they win 10-8 after trailing big.  No problem with the bunt.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

fishes2000

i want to know what the batter that got the hit said to Murphy after he got picked off first to end the 7th inning. The first base coach and umpire had to get between the memphis player and a few of ours. Spanberger is a big ole boy better not mouth off to much to our pitchers.

BigBrandonAllenFan

MY first thought after the bunt was great play by Memphis. 

southarkhog06

Quote from: PintailKiller on April 20, 2017, 02:48:44 pm
You're job as a coach is to put your team in the best position to win the game.  If it takes a bunt when you're down 2-0, ok.  The no-no part is irrelevant.  You are trying to win the game.  Just 2 weeks ago, the Hogs were kicking LSU around the park and a couple of things happen and they win 10-8 after trailing big.  No problem with the bunt.
Like I said earlier in the thread:

The only thing the bunt did was take Memphis from "praying for a Miracle" too "At least we wont be no hit, still praying for a Miracle".

Obviously this is just my opinion.

PintailKiller

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 20, 2017, 03:12:12 pm

Agreed.  This is what makes baseball such a great game.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

hog of steele

The only thing the bunt did was take Memphis from "praying for a Miracle" too "At least we wont be no hit, still praying for a Miracle".

This is only true if a HR or a double and an error are "miracles."

jry04

It took them from having nobody on and no chance to tie it in one swing to having 1 on and having a chance to tie it in one swing. If we were being no hit and Arledge bunted in the same situation to send Spanberger to the plate down 2-0 in the 7th, then you and every other Arkansas fan would be on the edge of their seats rather than feeling bad for the Memphis pitcher.

southarkhog06

Quote from: jry04 on April 20, 2017, 03:40:49 pm
It took them from having nobody on and no chance to tie it in one swing to having 1 on and having a chance to tie it in one swing. If we were being no hit and Arledge bunted in the same situation to send Spanberger to the plate down 2-0 in the 7th, then you and every other Arkansas fan would be on the edge of their seats rather than feeling bad for the Memphis pitcher.
I honestly don't think I would, I was a guy that never fully enjoyed the 2010 FB season b/c I knew Petrino and Mallett were jackasses. However, that doesn't mean I would judge DVH for doing it, or fans that praised it as a fantastic call.

WizardofhOgZ

Something that I haven't seen brought up yet in this thread is, what if the runner was ruled out and the no hitter was intact?

Murphy was at 90 pitches when the 7th ended.  Well past what they had expected him to throw, and where he had thrown all season.  If he was left in, he may have over-extended himself.   

In fact, the bunt hit allowed DVH to go get Murphy without dealing with the blow-back from fans about taking a pitcher out who was still nursing a no-no.  Alberius then waltzed in and got the final six outs in something like 17 pitches.   Great confidence builder for him without taking a lot out of him (so he'll still be fresh for the Auburn series).  And Murphy's outing was a positive all the way around - without over-taxing him.

Win/win

SPAL

I agree with the strategy. 2-0 game, you need runners, they've thrown their ace, and they need a win.

That said, I think it's bush league.

Basketball team up 3 with seconds left, and you foul to keep them from hitting a 3 is a good strategy, but it's kinda bush league.

Just because a strategy is logical doesn't make it any less bush league.

TikiHog

I loved the bunt...I could careless what people think all I want is my team to have a chance to win

hawginbigd1

5th or before no problem, but I think it shows a lack of respect for the game and the opponent to do it at that moment. Bunting for hits while a big part of the game and an admirable skill, always feels like a trick play. I just would not call for my player to do it and as a player it would never cross my mind. I love the "unwritten" rules of baseball. One of the big reasons I so hate the DH, that pitcher never has to stand in that box after he plunks an opponent. The unwritten rules of baseball give it a nostalgic sense that other games don't provide.

TikiHog

tomorrow night we're down 2-0 and being no hit in the 7th and lead off with a bunt base hit then go on to score 6 runs and win everyone on here will love it...I would NEVER not give 100% just because a pitcher has a no hitter thats crazy...just win baby

lefty08

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is the fact it was a midweek game. I'd be more inclined to accept it in a conference game. Either way, a close game is a close game and it's not a bush league move, but I think the opponent matters
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pigsfeat

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 20, 2017, 04:17:43 pm
Something that I haven't seen brought up yet in this thread is, what if the runner was ruled out and the no hitter was intact?

Murphy was at 90 pitches when the 7th ended.  Well past what they had expected him to throw, and where he had thrown all season.  If he was left in, he may have over-extended himself.   

In fact, the bunt hit allowed DVH to go get Murphy without dealing with the blow-back from fans about taking a pitcher out who was still nursing a no-no.  Alberius then waltzed in and got the final six outs in something like 17 pitches.   Great confidence builder for him without taking a lot out of him (so he'll still be fresh for the Auburn series).  And Murphy's outing was a positive all the way around - without over-taxing him.

Win/win
This was my thought as well, Wizard. I have seen no-no opportunities cause a coach leave a pitcher in too long and not only loose the no-no but also lost the game. When Murphy was up to 90 pitches in the 7th, I was wondering if DVH would leave him in much longer whether Memphis got a hit or not. The bunt made it easier for coach to relieve Murphy.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

BigSexyHog

Baseball players are and have always been a big bunch of sissys.  I am so sick and tired of them getting their panties in a wad over some stupid unwritten rule. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

lefty08

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 20, 2017, 06:53:24 pm
Baseball players are and have always been a big bunch of sissys.  I am so sick and tired of them getting their panties in a wad over some stupid unwritten rule.

LOL
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

oldhawg

Let's get real now.  The only reason that there was a hit of any kind was HogFansReunited comment,

"Murphy with 6k's, no hits, and one walk through six innings. Great work young man."

Everyone knows that you never, ever mention a no-hitter in progress.  :)

HogFansReunited

Quote from: oldhawg on April 20, 2017, 09:22:47 pm
Let's get real now.  The only reason that there was a hit of any kind was HogFansReunited comment,

"Murphy with 6k's, no hits, and one walk through six innings. Great work young man."

Everyone knows that you never, ever mention a no-hitter in progress.  :)

Damn, ok I will take an 8 hour ban as punishment.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

In my defense, I didn't exactly say no hitter lol.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

pigture perfect

Often when a no-no is broken up, the dike breaks and the hits just keep coming. I tip my hat to the team for not folding.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SPAL

Are you lost? Go back to mmqb you big, strong, man.

Deep Shoat

Those sort of miracles happen every day in baseball.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jbell96

I want to respond, but the phrase "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" keeps popping in my head.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 20, 2017, 04:53:01 pm
I agree with the strategy. 2-0 game, you need runners, they've thrown their ace, and they need a win.

That said, I think it's bush league.

Basketball team up 3 with seconds left, and you foul to keep them from hitting a 3 is a good strategy, but it's kinda bush league.

Just because a strategy is logical doesn't make it any less bush league.
Fouling up 3 in basketball does not fit within the definition of bush league. I don't even think bunting for a base hit in a 2 run game qualifies. Bush league means unprofessional, subpar, unacceptable, etc. Trying to bring the tying run to the plate in a 2 run game with 3 innings left doesn't really qualify as bush league. Bunting for no reason other than to break up a no-hitter in a blowout does qualify as bush league. Fouling at the end of a 20 point blowout just to extend the game qualifies as unacceptable, unprofessional, sub-standard, etc.

If it is a logical strategy to win the game then it isn't bush league. If it is an unprofessional move that doesn't benefit your chances of winning the game and is done just to irritate or intentionally harm the other team with no benefit to you, then it is bush league. Without knowing the intentions of the Memphis coach, it is hard to say if it was bush league. If he was bunting just to break up the no-hitter, but conceded they weren't going to win then I agree with you guys. However, I find it hard to believe a division 1 team that scored 7 runs the night before on the same opponent was conceding down just 2 with 3 innings to play.

oldhawg

Quote from: HogFansReunited on April 20, 2017, 10:41:41 pm
Damn, ok I will take an 8 hour ban as punishment.

Taking it like a man.  Good job.

southarkhog06

southarkhog06

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 21, 2017, 12:31:25 am
They happen about 30 times in a season that has 2,430 games. I think they had just as good of a chance swinging away as collecting a cheap bunt single.

woodrow hog call

The outcome doesn't define whether it was a good strategy or not.  That's like saying it was a bad decision to start a hit and run because the batter lined out to the firstbaseman which he caught while standing on the bag for a double play.  A good bunt has at times started rallies and caused a pitcher to unravel, that's what you want as a team trying to win.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

code red

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 21, 2017, 12:31:25 am
Yep....just like the 2 inning debacle that cost us the 2nd game vs. LSU.  As a team you never stop competing.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jry04

Quote from: code red on April 21, 2017, 02:24:15 pm
Yep....just like the 2 inning debacle that cost us the 2nd game vs. LSU.  As a team you never stop competing.
Exactly. It blows my mind that some of our fans are acting like Memphis had no chance after we have blown a multi-run lead in the 9th inning two streak weeks. Then you throw in the fact we had a 7-3 lead on Memphis and they came back to make it 7-7 the game before.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: PintailKiller on April 20, 2017, 02:46:27 pm

But we all know that 8-1 isn't safe with the Hogs this year.

According to some people in this thread, 2- 0 sure is!

I see nothing wrong at all with the play. In fact, more teams should probably try to bunt for hits more. We beat Georgia the other night because they couldn't handle a simple sac and threw it around the yard. Imagine if teams had a couple legit threats to drag at any given time. It would give a lot of mediocre teams fits.