Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok, is the SEC overrated this year?

Started by ricepig, April 16, 2017, 04:46:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

We normally have 4-5 teams host, and get 10 or so in the tournament. What do we look like on the national scene? I really just keep up with the SEC, so I don't know who's really good. It's obvious that both the East and West won't have a runaway winner, or doesn't through the first half, are we eating our own, or weaker as a conference this year?

SPAL

We aren't as strong as we normally are in that we have no dominant team that stands in national talk.

We have no Oregon State. Kentucky is our highest rated team but you don't hear people talking about them when you are talking teams that can win it all. You hear people talk about Florida and LSU but as we know, they aren't what they normally are and certainly aren't our best teams.

It's just easy to plug those guys without actually knowing anything about Auburn, Arkansas, or Kentucky. Because all of those teams have major flaws. Nobody is gonna say Mississippi State is one of the best in the country but those 4 are the best teams in our conference.

Our "best teams" are LSU, Florida, vandy, and south Carolina. That is 8 teams that to me, that can make a run to Omaha.

Throw in Mizzou, ole Miss, and Texas AM and you have 11 teams that could all arguably make the tournament.

The ACC is very top heavy with 3 great teams.
The Big 12 has a little more parity but they only have 10 teams.
The PAC 12 has 2 great teams and Arkansas went toe to toe with Arizona.
Big 10 is a joke

CJ HOG

The SEC is fine imo, just a little more parity is all. Ten teams currently in the top 40 of Nolan's rpi seems fairly strong to me. Not sure about hosting or national seeds, (more variables involved) but other than UGA & Alabama everyone is still alive for the post season. Tenner is on life support as there conference record goes down fast. I bet we get 10 or 11 in, depending on Missery's finish.

Razorback_Mack

Anytime the blue bloods aren't at the top of their divisions the SEC is going to be perceived as down. And that goes for all sports. As for me, as long as Arkansas is in 1st place like it is as of today, I don't care if it's down or not.

Porkerpower

I bet we dominate Omaha once again.  Just like most years.  And, not only are we currently at the top of the SEC, but are honestly playing like it.  No one's better right now in my opinion.

Biggers has become my favorite.  He chocks up an inch, then two when he gets two strikes.  He can run, bunt, field, run the bases, and like Spanburger lately, not bail an inch on the lefties.

He's a ball player.

Kevin

I actually think the league is better than most years.
just look at the pitching in this league. match them up against anybody in the nation
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pig Power

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on April 16, 2017, 06:19:47 pm
Anytime the blue bloods aren't at the top of their divisions the SEC is going to be perceived as down. And that goes for all sports. As for me, as long as Arkansas is in 1st place like it is as of today, I don't care if it's down or not.
Isn't Arkansas considered a "Blueblood" in baseball?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Pig Power on April 17, 2017, 08:50:37 am
Isn't Arkansas considered a "Blueblood" in baseball?
Depends on who you are talking to.  Of course, everyone here knows that Arkansas is a top 15 (at least) program.  Until we get over the hump and win the CWS though, we won't be considered a "Blueblood" by anyone outside of Arkansas.

SPAL

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

dotnet

I think the blueblood talk in baseball on this board is a little much...

The last few years the SEC has had 2ish teams that were flat out dominant and a bunch (say 7-9) of other great teams. 

This year, it appears the SEC has no truly dominant team, but 8-11 great teams. So while the conference is really tough, it isn't the same as previously. 

You can classify that as you want though in regards to taking a step back or being just as good.  Kind of depends on how you're looking at it to me..

dotnet

and I could have picked a better words than great.. just wanted to point out that the non dominant teams were still top 25ish caliber.