Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB Game 3 vs TAMU - BIG TIME W!!!

Started by psycHOGlogist, April 16, 2017, 01:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

April 16, 2017, 01:38:16 pm Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:42:20 pm by psycHOGlogist
We're in the T3, score tied 0-0. Both teams had two runners on in the 1st inning, but neither could get anyone across.

Storms started but is coming out after one time through the lineup - must be a planned pitching change, because Storms is throwing well. Hedgcock in.

The lineup has moved around a bit. Russell is leading off and Kryzsko is hitting 2nd (and playing CF). Hiers has been awful at the plate, lately. Nothing but pop-outs. If we had another catcher who was reliable, I'm sure she'd be in the game. Schroeder continues to look clueless and tentative at the plate. Pocklington is DP today.

psycHOGlogist

Hedgcock gives up a couple singles but nothing too serious. Headed to B3 tied at 0-0.

psycHOGlogist

More commentary: really have to question Hiers' approach at the plate. TAMU is throwing a pitcher who is almost as wild as Moll, and Hiers first-pitch swings for a pop-up to SS. Just really the wrong approach, imo.

Anyway - Yannetti, Russell, and Krzysko up this inning.

psycHOGlogist

Frustrating half-inning there. Two pop-outs -- one to C and one to SS -- and a silly K by Kryzsko. Lots of swinging at pitches that are not even close to the zone.

Hedgcock back out to the circle, T4.

psycHOGlogist

Leadoff hitter gets a double.

Really not sure why Schroeder is still in the lineup, tbh. Her offense has disappeared and her defense is always questionable. Pretty slow to break on the ball - a speedier player would have had a chance to get to the ball and keep it to a single.

Following players pop out to C, ground to 2b (advancing runner to 3b), and pop out to 2b. Good work by Hedgcock and the D. Still tied at 0-0.

On to B4.

psycHOGlogist

Cooper still swinging at some pitches up at her eyes, but she works a full count before flying out to RF.

Belans shows some patience and walks.

Diaz watches two good pitches go by and waves at the third, way out of the zone. K. Ugh.

Hedgcock gets the ab, makes good contact but right at the left fielder for the third out.

On to T5.

psycHOGlogist

Storms back in to pitch -- Diefel clearly trying to keep TAMU off balance at the plate.

psycHOGlogist

Storms K's the first batter, and the second. And the third. Awesome job, Storms!!!

On to B5.

psycHOGlogist

Ok, so this is where I admit I shouldn't be a softball coach.

Nicole Schroeder BLASTS one out to LF, 1-0 Hogs. Crushed it. Great job - her first HR since March, and her first of the SEC season. 1-0 :razorback: s

psycHOGlogist

Hiers looks a little better at the plate, works a full count, but watches a (badly) called 3rd strike on what should have been a walk.

Yannetti hits a nice single into LF, bringing up the top of the order. PR at 1st for Yannetti - Beringhele.

Russell reaches on an error by the 2b, she's safe at first and Beringhele hustles to 3b. Runners at the corners with 1 out.

Kryzsko lets two good pitches go by, then flails at a change up. Ugly at bat there.

Cooper pokes the first pitch into LF for an RBI single, runners at 1st and 2nd, 2-0 :razorback: s

Belans is aggressive at the plate and falls behind 0-2 before hitting a can of corn out to LF to end the inning.

Storms back in the circle T6.

psycHOGlogist

Storms gets the leadoff hitter to ground out to SS.

Next hitter flies out to LF on a pretty easy play.

And the 3rd hitter grounds out easily to 3b.

Those were the 3-4-5 hitters, too, I think, so the heart of the order is now past.

On to B6, 2-0 :razorback: s

psycHOGlogist

Diaz taps one back to the P, 1 down.

Hedgcock falls behind but makes the P work a bit before grounding out to 2b. Nice play by the 2b there.

Pitching change for the Aggies - they bring in Harrington (Fri night starter) to face Schroeder. Schroeder tags it, but right at CF for 3rd out.

On to the 7th -- 6/7/8 due up for TAMU.

psycHOGlogist

First batter works a full count and then earns Storms' first walk of the weekend. PR for her at first.

Storms starting to look a little shaky here.

Next batter doubles on a tough defensive play by Cooper in LF - right at the wall. No one scores, though because it looked like Cooper had a play on it. Runners at 2/3 for Aggies, no outs.

2-0 count, and Diefel out to try to settle the freshman here.

Next batter hits a SF to left field, runner advances to 3rd. Bad throw by Cooper was way over the cutoff player. There was no chance to get the runner from 3rd. 1 out.

Batter hits a grounder to 3rd and --- deja freaking vu -- Russell boots it. Runner scores from 3rd, tie game, batter safe at first base.

Ter. Ri. Ble. Still one out, runner at 1st.

Next batter hits a single to LF, runners at 1/2, one out.

IMO - Storms should come out. She is falling behind hitters and looks a bit rattled.

And Storms issues her 2nd walk of the inning (and the weekend).  Bases juiced, one out. UGH.

Storms gets behind her again, 2-0. Sigh.

Batter hits an SF to LF, pretty deep, run scores easily. TAMU up 3-2. Jeez.

Next batter grounds out to 3b, unassisted, but damage is done.

Man. 

psycHOGlogist

April 16, 2017, 03:06:35 pm #13 Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:21:05 pm by psycHOGlogist
Gut check time against a pitcher that shut us out on Friday night.

Hiers, Yannetti, and Russell due up.

Hiers makes great contact and lines out to a running RF. (The virtues of a good fielding outfielder)

Yannetti singles up the middle, nice piece of hitting. Bugarin on to run for Yannetti.

Russell moves the runner over with a ground out to SS (close play).

Kryzsko gets ahead 2-0, watches an inside strike (good take), 3-1, takes a big swing and misses, and then walks on the full count. Runners on 1st and 2nd for Cooper.

Cooper singles to LF on the first pitch, scoring Russell from 2b, Kryzsko to 3b and Cooper to 2b. Tie game!!!

2 outs for Belans, runners at 2/3.

The pitcher doesn't seem to be throwing to Belans - walks her on 4 pitches to get to Diaz. Unintentional intentional walk.

Diaz with 2 outs and bases juiced - goes behind 0-2. Takes a low outside pitch, 1-2. Fouls one off. Takes another low and away, 2-2. And she blasts one over the LF's head!!! :razorback: s WIN 4-3 in a walkoff, with Diaz's first hit of the series!!!!

Hogs first win -- ever -- over TAMU.

Amazing.

psycHOGlogist

That, ladies and gentlemen, was a team figuring it out. Win over a top 5 program, first ever in school history, after having been up by 2 and then giving it away in T7. Would have been SOOOO easy to lie down and lose.

Really impressive. This is a fun, exciting team. Not perfect, but man, such an improvement!

Sow’sEar

I think they're on their way to an NCAA invitation.  At 5-13 in the league they probably need to win one more game maybe two to get in....

ricepig

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 16, 2017, 03:20:45 pm
That, ladies and gentlemen, was a team figuring it out. Win over a top 5 program, first ever in school history, after having been up by 2 and then giving it away in T7. Would have been SOOOO easy to lie down and lose.

Really impressive. This is a fun, exciting team. Not perfect, but man, such an improvement!

Was afraid you were going to say lie down and bleed, knew it wouldn't be appropriate. Good win, hopefully some 8th graders somewhere are taking notice of our team, recruiting builds programs. 

psycHOGlogist

April 16, 2017, 03:38:42 pm #17 Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:06:06 pm by psycHOGlogist
I think they are, rice. We got a commit from a freshman P out of Gravette recently who will be a national level prospect.

Despite a 2-2 record for the week, it's actually a really good result. Played two close losses against the #5 team in the country, beat them once, and then beat regional rival and top 30 RPI Tulsa mid-week.

I'm impressed, despite our not-so-great SEC record (which was never going to be great this season, anyway).

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Lulu Hog on April 16, 2017, 03:25:01 pm
I think they're on their way to an NCAA invitation.  At 5-13 in the league they probably need to win one more game maybe two to get in....

I agree. I think we can win games against both MS State (road) and UGA (home), and having some good results against Notre Dame (on the road) wouldn't hurt, either. Kentucky made the NCAA tournament with 5 SEC wins two or three years ago. It's definitely doable.

flippinhogmana

April 16, 2017, 04:10:50 pm #19 Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:33:00 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 16, 2017, 02:19:30 pm
Ok, so this is where I admit I shouldn't be a softball coach.

Nicole Schroeder BLASTS one out to LF, 1-0 Hogs. Crushed it. Great job - her first HR since March, and her first of the SEC season. 1-0 :razorback: s

been waiting for that in so many ways...I hope this is getting Nicole going..I see signs of it.  thanks for the game coverage Psych.  Fell Asleep!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 16, 2017, 03:20:45 pm

And I agree, player by player, I think this team is figuring it out.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

I wouldn't be surprised if the team started to catch fire and to simply burn from here.  I have been saying (no rocket science required) for a while that since the other players one by one were starting to chip in NS's absence, all we needed was another pitcher and for NS to get it going again (it is unlikely that Grace Moll is going to start finding the strike zone).  We have the other pitcher now!

Like I said recently, we could wind up much better than winning a game or two more.  We dont face the best teams in the conference and the country the rest of the way and we have two freshmen pitchers who have to be jacked.   If Nicole is coming back, Katie bar the door!  The team could have taken any of these three games, gave one away in fact, tried to come back in that one, but if you are only going to win one game in a series, its always said win the last one for momentum's sake.

Scott7703

Big time win!! Happy for the team and coaches. Program is moving in the right direction for sure.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

psycHOGlogist

sw403