Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tevin Brewer

Started by Grizzlyfan, April 13, 2017, 09:33:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

signs with Eastern Oklahoma State College in Wilburton Oklahoma.  Seemed like a strange outcome at first, but obviously the kid is intent on proving he can compete with college level talent and then try again for D1.  Best of luck to this great kid.

hawginbigd1

I thought he was going UAFS?

jjdlc

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 13, 2017, 10:02:09 am
I thought he was going UAFS?

If he believes he can eventually play D1, then UAFS would not be the best choice.  With UAFS he would have to sit out to transfer to a D1 later, JUCO is the better route if he wants to play D1.  I seriously wish UAFS had not been so dead set on moving to D2.

yraciv

Quote from: jjdlc on April 13, 2017, 10:49:51 am
If he believes he can eventually play D1, then UAFS would not be the best choice.  With UAFS he would have to sit out to transfer to a D1 later, JUCO is the better route if he wants to play D1.  I seriously wish UAFS had not been so dead set on moving to D2.

IDK they've made a couple NCAA's. They are building a fine D2 program, and have D1 capable guys starring for them right now. Some of their Juco teams though had future NBA players, and were a lot of fun to watch.  I enjoyed the JUCO ball more than D2, but UAFS academic/campus growth since going D2 is phenomenal, which is much better for the community.

Tevin has been a star since he was little and I expect no difference in JUCO ball. He could have had a great career in D2, but if you dream of D1 then this isn't a bad step.  I'm still holding out hope someone like Doc Sadler at Southern Miss gives him a scholarship.

jjdlc

Quote from: yraciv on April 13, 2017, 02:55:10 pm
IDK they've made a couple NCAA's. They are building a fine D2 program, and have D1 capable guys starring for them right now. Some of their Juco teams though had future NBA players, and were a lot of fun to watch.  I enjoyed the JUCO ball more than D2, but UAFS academic/campus growth since going D2 is phenomenal, which is much better for the community.

Tevin has been a star since he was little and I expect no difference in JUCO ball. He could have had a great career in D2, but if you dream of D1 then this isn't a bad step.  I'm still holding out hope someone like Doc Sadler at Southern Miss gives him a scholarship.

No doubt, on the academic side of things, UAFS becoming a 4 year school was a great thing.  My question is, from an athletic stand point, could they have stayed a JUCO so that athletes wouldn't have to sit out to transfer?  UAFS was offering 4 year programs for quite a while before becoming D2 in sports, so I've never understood if they were forced to move up, or if it was solely by choice. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jjdlc on April 13, 2017, 03:39:16 pm
No doubt, on the academic side of things, UAFS becoming a 4 year school was a great thing.  My question is, from an athletic stand point, could they have stayed a JUCO so that athletes wouldn't have to sit out to transfer?  UAFS was offering 4 year programs for quite a while before becoming D2 in sports, so I've never understood if they were forced to move up, or if it was solely by choice.
If I remember correctly, staying JUCO was only a temporary alternative after they moved to 4 year status.  But even if it was allowed it really wouldn't make much sense, would it?  A university offering 4 year degrees only allowing athletes to play there for 2 years?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: yraciv on April 13, 2017, 02:55:10 pm

It's crazy if no D1 schools have offered Tevin. He's a winner and can definitely play at the D1 level. Really surprised that he isn't getting some offers. To bad Carl Albert folded their program but I'll drive down to Wilburton to watch him play.