Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: CMA offers new '17 Hog recruit Michael Weathers during in-home visit

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 09, 2017, 12:34:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Captain Morgan

Good. We still need a guy who's going to be a senior at sits out next year. We have zero juniors and it makes no sense to not have a senior day in college basketball. Get a senior transfer that sits out one year and that player will be "senior night" but Anderson needs to get on the recruiting trail. Not having a senior night is not proper.  ;)

chiti66

Quote from: Captain Morgan on April 09, 2017, 02:04:19 pm
Good. We still need a guy who's going to be a senior at sits out next year. We have zero juniors and it makes no sense to not have a senior day in college basketball. Get a senior transfer that sits out one year and that player will be "senior night" but Anderson needs to get on the recruiting trail. Not having a senior night is not proper.  ;)

At this point it's about getting better and staying consistently relevant (ranked and making the tourney), so I would love for us to take the best players possible. This kid coming in solves our PG problem after having had a full year in the program.  We'd be pretty nice starting the 2018-2019 season:

PG - Glasper/Sills/Garland/Weather?
SG - CJ/Joe/Garland
F - Hall/Bailey/Hazen/Brown?/Weaver?
PF/C - Gafford/Perry/Henderson/Gabe?

Now that, fellas, would be a pretty salty team.

Go Hogs!!!

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

I could be wrong, but based on everything we've heard to this point, I think it's a 2-horse race between Hogs and OKSt ... "high interest level" in Hogs and wants to play "close to home". Has CMA in for visit and gets offer ... lists Top 5 of Hogs, OSU, Miami (FL), Xavier, and Nevada -- all of which offered this week, yet only 2 of those school is close to home = AR and OSU.

The edge goes to OSU -- just my speculation here -- because the Pokes hired his fired HC at Miami (OH) this week as an asst coach on their new staff, they are close to home, and they are his last stop on his OV tour (April 25th, a week after he visits Hogs).

Captain Morgan

Quote from: chiti66 on April 09, 2017, 02:26:13 pm
At this point it's about getting better and staying consistently relevant (ranked and making the tourney), so I would love for us to take the best players possible. This kid coming in solves our PG problem after having had a full year in the program.  We'd be pretty nice starting the 2018-2019 season:

PG - Glasper/Sills/Garland/Weather?
SG - CJ/Joe/Garland
F - Hall/Bailey/Hazen/Brown?/Weaver?
PF/C - Gafford/Perry/Henderson/Gabe?

Now that, fellas, would be a pretty salty team.

Go Hogs!!!

Completely okay with that too.
How about getting a graduAte transfer after next season?

King Kong

Quote from: Captain Morgan on April 09, 2017, 02:04:19 pm

Weathers is a Freshman transfer

chiti66

Quote from: Captain Morgan on April 09, 2017, 03:54:27 pm
Completely okay with that too.
How about getting a graduAte transfer after next season?

I am on board.....my family teases me that I have traveled the world for the past 30 years, yet remain a DIEHARD Razorback.  Times like these are the reason😆😆👌🏾!

Go Hogs!

Big Nasty 34

Really want this guy. Would do wonders to have an experienced scoring guard with the young guards we have coming in. Would help lessen the load some of those guys would have coming in as freshman. Also, puts up great defensive numbers, see blocks and steals.

NWAHog479

Weathers or Hardy? Seems like we are offering a lot of guys with similar skill-sets.

Hawg Red

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 10, 2017, 01:58:23 pm
Weathers or Hardy? Seems like we are offering a lot of guys with similar skill-sets.

Hardy, without question. Barrett over Weathers, without question.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 10, 2017, 02:01:10 pm
Hardy, without question. Barrett over Weathers, without question.
Yeah, I mean I think you have to take the guy that can play right away. Weathers has shown he can score it at the college level, but sitting for a year is hard to justify when you have the '18 class that you have coming in with Justice Hill possibly reclassifying.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2017, 02:09:07 pm
Yeah, I mean I think you have to take the guy that can play right away. Weathers has shown he can score it at the college level, but sitting for a year is hard to justify when you have the '18 class that you have coming in with Justice Hill possibly reclassifying.

I also like those two as prospects over Weathers, but like you said, Weathers has at least shown the ability to produce at the D1 level even if it was at an unsustainable usage level and lacked efficiency (generally what you see with high-usage players). I wouldn't mind Weathers at all but I'd rather have Hardy, Barrett, and even Markel Crawford for a year over him.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 10, 2017, 02:23:11 pm
I also like those two as prospects over Weathers, but like you said, Weathers has at least shown the ability to produce at the D1 level even if it was at an unsustainable usage level and lacked efficiency (generally what you see with high-usage players). I wouldn't mind Weathers at all but I'd rather have Hardy, Barrett, and even Markel Crawford for a year over him.
Agreed 100%.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 10, 2017, 02:36:14 pm
Hill wouldn't play in the 2018 season. Most likely would come in a semester early and practice. I take Weathers over Barrett. It's not hard to justify him sitting out because he'll be getting better while still having 3 years to contribute. All-around player averaging 16 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists a game, plus gets it done defensively. We have a good enough team next year to make NCAAT again, and will have 3 senior guards. A freshman would probably play just as much as the ones this year. Give me a guy that's already proven himself at DI level and has a year to gel with the team. That being said, I do like Hardy over Weathers.

Solid counter-point. And I think the biggest point to be made here is that Arkansas is in great shape if it lands any of the 3 -- Weathers, Hardy, or Barrett. This is why getting the big 3 early -- Gafford, Hall, and Garland -- was so important. It put Hogs in pick-and-choose mode -- not scramble-for-warm-bodies mode -- for the spring signing period, something I've been talking about since October. With a quality class already in their pocket since Nov it gave CMA plenty of time to evaluate new prospects while also evaluating/assessing his own team in terms of personnel development and evolving needs.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 10, 2017, 02:36:14 pm
Hill wouldn't play in the 2018 season. Most likely would come in a semester early and practice. I take Weathers over Barrett. It's not hard to justify him sitting out because he'll be getting better while still having 3 years to contribute. All-around player averaging 16 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists a game, plus gets it done defensively. We have a good enough team next year to make NCAAT again, and will have 3 senior guards. A freshman would probably play just as much as the ones this year. Give me a guy that's already proven himself at DI level and has a year to gel with the team. That being said, I do like Hardy over Weathers.

I agree! Would Hardy or Barrett really get enough PT next year for us to feel comfortable starting them in 2018? I doubt it. So, getting a kid that has to sit out a year isn't that big of a deal. Even if they showed flashes like CJ Jones they probably wouldn't get meaningful game minutes. Those minutes are going to Barford, Macon, Beard, Jones, Hall, and hopefully Garland.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

navyhog24

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 11, 2017, 10:19:46 pm
Where's this coming from?
Davenport. Evidently they wanted him to visit after Hardy as well so that shows the pecking order to the fans.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

azhog10

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on April 11, 2017, 11:29:14 pm
Davenport. Evidently they wanted him to visit after Hardy as well so that shows the pecking order to the fans.

Weathers was the one that scheduled an Xavier visit this weekend and us the 17th

Kevin McPherson

The situation with Weathers devolved pretty quickly due to the fact that his coach was hired at OSU ... Hogs not waiting around to be told they came in 2nd place. Very aggressive offering/lining up Hardy w/a Barrett visit upcoming, and also the offer to Wooten for another need, a big.

Hardy is the better option compared to Weathers, anyway = 4-star, highly recruited PG (need) who can play immediately. Barrett offers similar value. Weathers would have likely been a good fit, too, but why go all in on a guy who is probably going to follow his coach anyway?

Razorod

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 12, 2017, 01:34:21 pm
The situation with Weathers devolved pretty quickly due to the fact that his coach was hired at OSU ... Hogs not waiting around to be told they came in 2nd place. Very aggressive offering/lining up Hardy w/a Barrett visit upcoming, and also the offer to Wooten for another need, a big.

Hardy is the better option compared to Weathers, anyway = 4-star, highly recruited PG (need) who can play immediately. Barrett offers similar value. Weathers would have likely been a good fit, too, but why go all in on a guy who is probably going to follow his coach anyway?

Plus, does OSU have room for his twin brother? With all the coaching changes they've gone through, they may have the extra scholarship that the Hogs don't.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

King Kong

Quote from: Razorod on April 12, 2017, 01:55:44 pm
Plus, does OSU have room for his twin brother? With all the coaching changes they've gone through, they may have the extra scholarship that the Hogs don't.

I haven't counted OSU's numbers. But according to Hardy OSU didn't even have room for him.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/04/06/amauri-hardy-recruiting/100109630/