• 379,550 Topics
• 21,129 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On Hallowed Ground  (Read 262 times)

oldhawg

• All-American Hogvillian
On Hallowed Ground
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:48:31 pm »

While visiting the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, I came across these six headstones all together.

oldhawg

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: On Hallowed Ground
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:57:32 pm »

While visiting the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, I came across these six headstones all together.

Pictures do not seem to be coming up. Six Medal of Honor awardees buried side by side.  Gave me reason to pause for a few moments and thank God for their service.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 07:39:02 am »

Pictures do not seem to be coming up. Six Medal of Honor awardees buried side by side.  Gave me reason to pause for a few moments and thank God for their service.

Having just returned from a trip to Washington D.C., a visit to Arlington National Cemetery evoked similar feelings within me.  Watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider and realizing the dedication and commitment the honor guard makes in performing this solemn duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year is beyond my ability to describe using the written word. 

A visit to a hallowed shrine such as Arlington National Cemetery helps me regain some lost perspective on life. 

Very nice, Oldhawg. 

Vantage 8 dude

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:19:45 pm »

Having just returned from a trip to Washington D.C., a visit to Arlington National Cemetery evoked similar feelings within me.  Watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider and realizing the dedication and commitment the honor guard makes in performing this solemn duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year is beyond my ability to describe using the written word. 

A visit to a hallowed shrine such as Arlington National Cemetery helps me regain some lost perspective on life. 

Very nice, Oldhawg.
Totally understand and agree. Absolutely no doubt impressive.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit France and more specifically, Normandy don't miss the American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach. It was shown in the opening and closing scenes of Saving Pvt. Ryan. And while those scenes are incredibly moving, just being on the grounds and seeing the care and attention that both the French people and American government have taken to set aside and maintain this land is beyond words. I honestly found myself crying because like with all of war's dead, what talents and lives that could have been realized and never were reminds me of the irreplaceable price of conflict. 

Großer Kriegschwein

• TF Mountain Warrior '09-'10
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:30:26 pm »

My cousin's grave at the national cemetery in Florence, SC.

Definitely more meritorious than me.

Bob Slydell

• Senior
  • Well, just a second there professor...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »

Totally understand and agree. Absolutely no doubt impressive.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit France and more specifically, Normandy don't miss the American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach. It was shown in the opening and closing scenes of Saving Pvt. Ryan. And while those scenes are incredibly moving, just being on the grounds and seeing the care and attention that both the French people and American government have taken to set aside and maintain this land is beyond words. I honestly found myself crying because like with all of war's dead, what talents and lives that could have been realized and never were reminds me of the irreplaceable price of conflict.

Totally agree about visiting the American Cemetery.  Normandy in general was the most awe inspiring trip that I think I've ever taken.  We were there during the 70th anniversary memorial.

Vantage 8 dude

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 04:33:01 pm »

Totally agree about visiting the American Cemetery.  Normandy in general was the most awe inspiring trip that I think I've ever taken.  We were there during the 70th anniversary memorial.
Interesting that you were there in '14. So were my wife and I. Perhaps (unknowingly) we happened to run into you.

LSUFan

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Global Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:18:40 pm »

My kids went to Arlington a few years back.

I told them to take off their shoes before they entered, and speak softly.

I have 3 good boys.

Großer Kriegschwein

• TF Mountain Warrior '09-'10
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 04:28:05 pm »

In Seoul, school classes have assigned areas of the UN cemetery. They manicure the grass and weeds with scissors.

Bob Slydell

• Senior
  • Well, just a second there professor...
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:59:46 am »

In Seoul, school classes have assigned areas of the UN cemetery. They manicure the grass and weeds with scissors.

If you've been to the American cemetery in Ardennes, Belgium, you probably know that the locals do something similar there.  They are very appreciative of the American sacrifice in their country.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas