Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Late Period Names/Recap (2017)

Started by hogwood, April 07, 2017, 06:17:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

April 07, 2017, 06:17:25 am Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:53:45 pm by hogwood
I wanted to put all the names together that we've been hearing about recently as there have been so many.

Not in any order:

PG Jalen Harris Wilson, NC 6'1" 165 TR from New Mexico

PG Chris Darrington Vincennes University, IN 6'1" 175 #13 JUCO

SF Gabriel Osabuohien Toronto, CAN (SCA) 6'7" WT? Not Rated

C Mladen Armus Belgrade, Serbia (SCA) 6'9" 220 Not Rated

SG Avery Benson Springdale, AR (SCA) 6'3" 175 Not Rated

I'll keep this updated as new names pop up.

razorhog52

We are on a ton of good guys but none seem to fit "exactly" right.

King Kong

Jalen Harris FR transfer from New Mexico has also been contacted by our coaches

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogwood on April 07, 2017, 06:17:25 am
I wanted to put all the names together that we've been hearing about recently as there have been so many.

Not in any order:

PG Amauri Hardy Farmington Hills, MI 6'2" 175 4* #21 PG, #4 in MI

PG/CG Michael Weathers Miami (OH) TR 6'2" 160 AVG 16.7ppg, 4.2rpg, and 4.8apg as FR

PG Shakwon Barrett Toronto, CAN 6'3" WT? Not Rated

CG Markel Crawford Memphis GR TR 6'5" 205 AVG 12.8ppg, 4.4rpg, and 1.9apg as SR

SF/PF Dedric Lawson Memphis TR 6'9" 235 AVG 19.2ppg, 9.9rpg. and 3.3apg as SO

SF K.J. Lawson Memphis TR 6'7" 210 AVG 12.3ppg, 8.1rpg, and 2.8apg as SO

Give me the 2 Canadians and I am good LOL, I think Hardy would be the best possible player. Darrington would be my next option, Weathers would be a bridge. Crawford to me is the least needed option. The Lawsons have the least immediate upside.

The_Iceman

Quote from: King Kong on April 07, 2017, 08:34:20 am
Jalen Harris FR transfer from New Mexico has also been contacted by our coaches

No thanks.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hogwood on April 07, 2017, 06:17:25 am

Not in any order:

PG Amauri Hardy Farmington Hills, MI 6'2" 175 4* #21 PG, #4 in MI

PG/CG Michael Weathers Miami (OH) TR 6'2" 160 AVG 16.7ppg, 4.2rpg, and 4.8apg as FR

PG Shakwon Barrett Toronto, CAN 6'3" WT? Not Rated

CG Markel Crawford Memphis GR TR 6'5" 205 AVG 12.8ppg, 4.4rpg, and 1.9apg as SR

SF/PF Dedric Lawson Memphis TR 6'9" 235 AVG 19.2ppg, 9.9rpg. and 3.3apg as SO

SF K.J. Lawson Memphis TR 6'7" 210 AVG 12.3ppg, 8.1rpg, and 2.8apg as SO

You may have intended to leave these off, but also ...

PF / C Mladen Armus, SW Christian Academy, 6-9

SF / wing Zhaire Smith, Garland (TX), 6-5

navyhog24

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 07, 2017, 10:38:02 am

If Zhaire Smith didn't use an OV to come here, then he ain't coming. Longshot at best.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 07, 2017, 10:21:14 am
No way, there's a lot better options than that! If we're taking 2 guys, we have to create an open scholarship. If we do that, take the Lawson brothers. It's clear that they want a PG, so if we're just taking 1 guy, I'd prefer Weathers because of his ability to get better while sitting out and still have 3 years to contribute. D1 experience and freshman of the year in his league with loads of scoring potential? Yes, pleas! If he decides to stick with his brother somewhere, then Darrington would be a heckuva backup plan behind him and balances out the roster better. I would be thrilled will Hardy as well, but not sure how much of a chance we have there.
Hell I don't know how, but for some reason I thought Weathers was a Grad Transfer. I am still good with the 2 Canadians, I think they are both undervalued a bit, and I believe they would provide a smoother transition and depth to 18 and 19. I just have not been impressed with the Lawson Bros. just not impressed by the level of competition they have faced. I could be wrong about them, but they have neither one wowed me. Numbers look good, but the half dozen or so times I watched them play the last 2 years neither one jumped out to me as wow we could have had those guys. Again Hardy is the best possible, and I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with just Darrington. I am biased towards 4 year players, always have been so that shades my opinions on the 2 Canadians a bit.

Also I am on record thinking a particular Freshman would be better off playing the rest of his career elsewhere. So that is a way you could take both.

hogwood

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 07, 2017, 10:38:02 am

I did mean to. But I guess they are on the radar so I will add them. Armus does not seem to be of much interest. Smith could still be a possibility. Perhaps he just didn't want to use a valuable OV on a school where he'd already had a terrific UV to.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 07, 2017, 10:46:06 am
If Zhaire Smith didn't use an OV to come here, then he ain't coming. Longshot at best.

True, but kids change their minds all the time, so you just never know. His TTech OV is to start today, but he missed the previous planned trip. And, the GATech visit is not until next weekend ... probably unlikely the Hogs are still in the picture at this point, so like you I'd call it a "longshot at best", but the last 2 OVs have yet to play out, so let's see what happens.

King Kong

chiti66

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 07, 2017, 10:50:41 am
Hell I don't know how, but for some reason I thought Weathers was a Grad Transfer. I am still good with the 2 Canadians, I think they are both undervalued a bit, and I believe they would provide a smoother transition and depth to 18 and 19. I just have not been impressed with the Lawson Bros. just not impressed by the level of competition they have faced. I could be wrong about them, but they have neither one wowed me. Numbers look good, but the half dozen or so times I watched them play the last 2 years neither one jumped out to me as wow we could have had those guys. Again Hardy is the best possible, and I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with just Darrington. I am biased towards 4 year players, always have been so that shades my opinions on the 2 Canadians a bit.

Also I am on record thinking a particular Freshman would be better off playing the rest of his career elsewhere. So that is a way you could take both.

I am with you 100%.  If we are taking a PG only, then I am all in with Hardy, otherwise, I'll take the two Canucks.

Rawker

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 07, 2017, 10:50:41 am

I agree on the Canadians tip.  Watched Gabe at Real Deal, and I REALLY liked his physical presence.  His videos show more slashing to the basket and guard-like play, which given what I saw from him in person I'm pleasantly surprised he could potentially bring that to the table, because in person he just looks like he could bang like a good PF.  And if he came as a package deal with his friend Barrett, I personally think that dude looks like he has some nice ball-handling and passing skills, not to mention a very smooth shot....but I'd rather see him in person to be sure about my position on that.  But going with the assumption that we only have one spot open, of the two I'd take Gabe.  Me and my bro asked Gabe where he was going to school, pretty much knowing what the answer would be...."Haven't decided."

hogwood

If we have only one spot (as we do now) then I'd be most interested in Hardy. If we have two then I'd go after Osabuohien or Crawford to join Hardy.

Then again if the Lawsons are a realistic possibility, I'd get them.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ArkansasI

I am pleased and amazed that our basketball futures may finally be taking a desperately needed 180 degree turn.  I credit the team, Mike and our fans for creating life out of two quality wins - USC and Seton Hall - and a respectable loss - UNC (spit).  Some things also changed for me when our guys fought the Kentucky bias over Vitale's ignorant color commentary.

It is refreshing to see good players considering the Hogs and not leaving the program.  Much of the debate here is whether we are looking to add 1 or 2 players.  If 2, some of us are identifying current Hogs to wedge off the team in order to make room.

Just curious... Given the number of players being courted, are we certain that eligibility isn't an issue for any returning players?  With 1 known opening, I find it odd that we appear to be perusing a virtual smorgasbord of talent.  I heard fewer recruiting rumors when we had 4 times the openings in the past. 

This is fun discussion right now.  However, I am concerned that there may be issues unrelated to whether a player is happy or wants to be a Razorback.  Whatever the case, you can say good things about all the guys on the board.

hogwood

hogwood

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 07, 2017, 03:02:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6PKHzODo6U
I think Amauri's dad and Coach A would hit it off really well. Wonder if he's been in contact? He follows Coach Thurman on twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLR973KgA3U
Kid has great driving ability and finishes around the rim, pretty good handles and avoids defenders. Also has a great frame. Just have to wonder about his shooting ability and how well he sees the entire floor instead of just driving and being able to get to the rim, because that won't be so easy in college. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and seems to be a hard worker. Also has a brother in 2021 class. Would be a pretty good get, but don't know how far behind we are. Georgia Tech and UGA both offered a long time ago before he committed to OSU.

Kid looks sick. I hope we have a real shot.

skinnypig

mark off the Lawson Bros. going to Kansas

NWAHog479

I honestly don't think Armus is good enough to don the Hog uniform but that's just me... Nice job putting that list together, man we are really looking at a lot of options and I like it!

hogwood

Lawsons and Smith removed, Wooten added.

navyhog24

Might as well remove Weathers also

hogwood

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 24, 2017, 10:20:19 pm
Mark off Weathers, Crawford and Wooten. Should hear something soon on Hardy and Barrett.

Thanks for the reminder. They have been removed. Benson has been added. The list is dwindling.

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hogwood

Removing this as a sticky topic as I don't see it being too pertinent anymore. IMO I think the 2017 class is wrapped up.