Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: Amauri Hardy, 6-2 PG and 2017 ESPN 4*, confirms Hogs OFFERED today

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 06, 2017, 12:39:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2017, 08:20:56 am
I should've said ballhandler.  CJ Jones isn't a guard that is going to drive to create for someone else.  He isnt a pg, or a combo guard more of a wing guard.

Hardy will make Jones a better player. CJ doesn't need much room to get his shot off, being 6'5" with a great vertical and high release. As a shooter it is always easier to shoot when you are catching the ball coming from the inside, rather than around the outside, because you are catching the ball already squared up.

navyhog24

I understand, but Garland has not run an offense himself either. He'll be learning to do that here. '18 will be his first, but I bet Desi Sills and Hardy, if we get him, will be the primary ball handlers for the 18-19 season.

chiti66

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2017, 09:12:19 am
I'm just not sure Beard brings enough value in that role. He needs to focus on driving with the intent to distribute. He finishes well on the break, but in the half court setting it is another story.

If I was Beard, I would focus this off-season on 3 things:
1) continuing to improve on finishing on the break
2) driving to distribute in the half court
3) getting his 3pt% close to 40%

I would much rather have Beard spotting up than trying to distribute since he has a bad case of tunnel vision. He's not athletic enough to finish consistently on the break like we all want him to do...although I would much rather see him become more unselfish in transition. Let me not get started on him. This thread is about Hardy lol

King Kong

Quote from: Pinto on April 14, 2017, 08:42:07 am
We need a guard on that second unit who's going to take the ball away from Beard lol. Just let Beard spot up and hit the three ball

I wouldn't be surprised to see Beard starting. Either way I suspect we will see a lot of that Beard, Barford and Macon lineup that got a lot of run in the middle of the year.

Pinto

Quote from: King Kong on April 14, 2017, 09:47:06 am
I wouldn't be surprised to see Beard starting. Either way I suspect we will see a lot of that Beard, Barford and Macon lineup that got a lot of run in the middle of the year.

Beard is a starter as of now. I think Hall will prove that he can start at the 3 and be the true SF we haven't had in a couple of years

hawginbigd1

mbgrulz

Quote from: Pinto on April 14, 2017, 10:00:31 am
Beard is a starter as of now. I think Hall will prove that he can start at the 3 and be the true SF we haven't had in a couple of years
Agree.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 14, 2017, 11:51:40 am
I'd put a couple Benjamins on it but technically we don't know.

Better hope you didn't get them from Beard himself.

Our roster is not finalized. Don't know how anyone can look in anyone at this point. If they're still here, Macon and Barford at the only two I'm comfortable declaring starters.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2017, 12:26:54 pm

Our roster is not finalized. Don't know how anyone can look in anyone at this point. If they're still here, Macon and Barford at the only two I'm comfortable declaring starters.

He may start Trey because he is a Senior, but Gafford will get the most minutes between the two.

chiti66

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2017, 01:18:13 pm
He may start Trey because he is a Senior, but Gafford will get the most minutes between the two.
I hope that CMA starts them both.  Would much rather have a front line of Trey and Gafford.  Truth be told, if we land Hardy this weekend, we'll be super close to having the idea Mike Anderson team.  We'll have plenty of options next year.

WPS!

Hog Pharm

Quote from: chiti66 on April 14, 2017, 01:25:28 pm
I hope that CMA starts them both.  Would much rather have a front line of Trey and Gafford.  Truth be told, if we land Hardy this weekend, we'll be super close to having the idea Mike Anderson team.  We'll have plenty of options next year.

WPS!

They play the same position so they both won't start.  Can't have them both getting into foul trouble.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2017, 12:26:54 pm

I said as of today. I'm well aware of the fact that the roster isn't finalized.

chiti66

Quote from: Hog Pharm on April 14, 2017, 01:57:04 pm
They play the same position so they both won't start.  Can't have them both getting into foul trouble.
Actually not really.  Trey is more of a PF, who can play the 5.  But I understand what you are saying.  We were much better this year when we played Moses and Trey together, so with the pieces we have coming back we can do a whole lot more. 

WPS!

Pinto

Quote from: chiti66 on April 14, 2017, 01:25:28 pm

WPS!

I would like that lineup as well but unfortunate we don't have a backup center or a 4 who can rebound very well

The_Bionic_Pig

Cook & Thomas "were" not offensive threats...at all.  They can rebound especially Thomas (not at a elite level)

If a 6'8 + Hazen can get comfortable within the offense he can be lethal all the way out to 21'.   

When your 4 is a 3pt threat that opens up a lot of possibilities. 

Bailey is the best 1 on 1 defensive 4.  His weakness is dribbling & perimeter shooting which he said in a recent interview he's working hard on.

If JUCO history repeats itself Cook should make the biggest leap in year 2 away from JUCO.

No matter what happens Day-Day is coming to steal minutes away from the current roster. A 6'7 athlete who can handle the ball as comfortably as any guard doesn't come along too often.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Pinto on April 14, 2017, 10:00:31 am

I think Hall starts from day one.

HOGINTENNESSEE

forrest city joe

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 15, 2017, 02:50:43 pm
Has this kid not committed yet?
Nope he is not committed.and he may not.hope he does,but not counting on it.

Scott7703

HogCzar1

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 15, 2017, 07:41:44 pm
Nope he is not committed.and he may not.hope he does,but not counting on it.

It's going to be interesting to see just who our top priority is of these kids. I'm sure that if someone leaves it will change, but of the one known opening just who is our top pick?

Scott7703

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 15, 2017, 08:45:40 pm
It's going to be interesting to see just who our top priority is of these kids. I'm sure that if someone leaves it will change, but of the one known opening just who is our top pick?

Arkansas will take all 3 with offers if they can get them. Hardy, the kid from out west, and the Memphis transfer.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 15, 2017, 08:52:02 pm

Arkansas will take all 3 with offers if they can get them. Hardy, the kid from out west, and the Memphis transfer.
That would require kicking two current players off the team. 

Scott7703

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 15, 2017, 08:58:10 pm
That would require kicking two current players off the team. 

Barford
Beard
Thomas
Thompson
Cook
Jones
Hazen
Bailey
And the 3 signees

Am I missing someone? And I still won't be surprised if one more leaves.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 15, 2017, 09:01:34 pm

Barford
Beard
Thomas
Thompson
Cook
Jones
Hazen
Bailey
And the 3 signees

Am I missing someone? And I still won't be surprised if one more leaves.
Macon.  That makes 9 returnees plus 3 signees and you're saying three more? 

Scott7703

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 15, 2017, 09:26:08 pm
Macon.  That makes 9 returnees plus 3 signees and you're saying three more? 

Macon is gone and I expect one other could leave.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Van Boarisson on April 15, 2017, 09:16:35 pm
He will commit tomorrow.
Says who.hope you are right because it would be a big time get.but what makes you think that?

Scott7703

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 15, 2017, 09:36:27 pm
Says who.hope you are right because it would be a big time get.but what makes you think that?

There are rumors circulating that he's already committed to coaches and will go public tomorrow.

King Kong

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 15, 2017, 09:39:34 pm

There are rumors circulating that he's already committed to coaches and will go public tomorrow.

Sweet

Swinesong1

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 15, 2017, 09:39:34 pm

Richard quoted him as saying he was taking more visits. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on April 15, 2017, 09:37:40 pm
As long as Beard is playing on the Arkansas Basketball team we just aren't that good.

You are a frontrunner. Bashing Beard because it's popular.

5th in scoring, 3rd in 3pt % of anybody shooting more than 30 for the season at 36% compared to Macon at 39%, nearly a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

Beard actually started our run against Carolina and played well in that game. He's a 2nd unit guy. What are you expecting, Kyrie?

King Kong

Scott7703

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 15, 2017, 09:54:16 pm
Richard quoted him as saying he was taking more visits. 

Not stating it as gospel but just telling you what is being said.

Letsroll1200

forrest city joe

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 15, 2017, 10:40:08 pm
No news is bad news for the hogs.
Agreed.but you never know in recruiting.things can change fast.if we don't get him,we move on to others.Mike knows what he is doing.he will get us a good player or two.

niels_boar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 15, 2017, 09:56:59 pm

5th in scoring, 3rd in 3pt % of anybody shooting more than 30 for the season at 36% compared to Macon at 39%, nearly a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

Beard actually started our run against Carolina and played well in that game. He's a 2nd unit guy. What are you expecting, Kyrie?

The negativity on Beard is hyperbole.  Had we made it to the SS, as we should have, he would have been second in line behind Macon as one of the heroes of the UNC game. Beard played his worst basketball at the end of the season, except for the UNC game, which left a bad impression.  If you interchanged his December and January with his February and March, fans would be expecting a productive senior campaign.  He tailed off his freshman season as well after a dynamite January that helped turn that team around after a slow SEC start.  Can Beard put together a full season as a senior? There will be wins next year in which he will be a major factor.  Of that I'm certain.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: niels_boar on April 15, 2017, 11:10:46 pm
The negativity on Beard is hyperbole.  Had we made it to the SS, as we should have, he would have been second in line behind Macon as one of the heroes of the UNC game. Beard played his worst basketball at the end of the season, except for the UNC game, which left a bad impression.  If you interchanged his December and January with his February and March, fans would be expecting a productive senior campaign.  He tailed off his freshman season as well after a dynamite January that helped turn that team around after a slow SEC start.  Can Beard put together a full season as a senior? There will be wins next year in which he will be a major factor.  Of that I'm certain.

Totally agree.

Pinto

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 15, 2017, 09:56:59 pm

The most annoying things Beard does on the court will not show in the box score. He's definitely been an underachiever. Hopefully he will have a solid senior year...

reddawg213

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 15, 2017, 09:29:50 pm

Macon is gone and I expect one other could leave.

The only one I expect to leave is Glasper and he doesn't have a scholarship. I talked to his aunt a few days ago and there are some offers from low-tier schools that he's quietly been deciding on as well as staying with the Hogs.

Everyone else, I think it is a coin flip.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 15, 2017, 09:29:50 pm
Macon is gone

You sure about that?

It's being rumored both ways. I'd say, at best, it's up in the air right now. There are signs he could return. I wouldn't be taking a hard position at this time.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 16, 2017, 09:14:25 am
You sure about that?

It's being rumored both ways. I'd say, at best, it's up in the air right now. There are signs he could return. I wouldn't be taking a hard position at this time.
I saw on twitter that he was telling people he isn't gone, just "getting feedback/testing the waters." That may have been posted in one of the other Macon threads, though. I agree, seems to be a toss up.

Scott7703

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 16, 2017, 09:14:25 am
You sure about that?

Not sure at all but from what I've heard as of yesterday that's what it appears will happen. I personally want him to stay.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Pinto on April 16, 2017, 02:52:02 am
The most annoying things Beard does on the court will not show in the box score. He's definitely been an underachiever. Hopefully he will have a solid senior year...

Whatever.

So you were expecting greatness from a 3 star recruit?  Sounds like you are a frontrunner too.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hogimus Prime

rzrbackramsfan

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hardy is now following Garland, Macon, Portis and the Arkansas SID on Twitter