Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TV Schedule (lack thereof)

Started by hog_fan86, April 17, 2017, 01:06:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog_fan86

This might have been covered in previous years, if so, sorry but I didn't see it anywhere.

Can anyone explain to me the lack of conference coverage on the SEC Network? The past few weekends the SEC Network has had softball and spring football games (Kentucky at that) televised rather than any of the conference baseball matchups.

Does it have anything to do with title IX and trying to make tv exposure equal? I just don't get it.

WizardofhOgZ

I think it has to do with two things - Softball has been in playoffs (SEC and national), while baseball is in regular season.

Also, SEC Spring Football games probably outdraw regular season baseball games in terms of viewers.  Don't know this for a fact, but seems likely.  As great a baseball conference as the SEC is, Football is still king.

Fortunately, the baseball games can be found on the Watch ESPN app for many of us.

HF#1

In my opinion, the SEC Network isn't giving us the most bang for our buck. Every channel and alternate channel should be showing baseball games Friday-Sunday. It's disappointing that we cannot get the LSU/Ark series on TV.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TikiHog

Softball isn't in the playoffs it still has 3 weeks left in the regular season

Hogs49ers

It is annoying, but if you have Uverse you can download the ATT Uverse APP and watch every single SEC baseball game from the APP.  For some reason on the APP, SEC alternate does show all the games.  I have not missed a Hog game yet as every one of them have been available on SEC alternate on the APP.
SCREW Vandy!

Razorback de Nosferatu

I agree that the SEC Network should be showing more baseball games.

But it's hard to complain about coverage of this sport when you look how far it's come.

It wasn't all that long ago you had next to no viewing options, (except the tourney, maybe) and for some games, it was a struggle to even find radio coverage.  Maybe you got online and followed some peg men around on a slow-to-update play by play.

Nowadays, it's common to see college baseball on television, and it's only getting better.

Furthermore, many of us can download the Watch ESPN app, hook an adapter up between the phone and TV, and get just about any game we want on the big screen.

It's not great yet, but it's better and will only continue to improve.   :razorback:

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 18, 2017, 11:34:13 am
I think it has to do with two things - Softball has been in playoffs (SEC and national), while baseball is in regular season.

Also, SEC Spring Football games probably outdraw regular season baseball games in terms of viewers.  Don't know this for a fact, but seems likely.  As great a baseball conference as the SEC is, Football is still king.

Fortunately, the baseball games can be found on the Watch ESPN app for many of us.

Playoffs? They're still in regular season.

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 18, 2017, 03:56:48 pm

Any coach that says his team "couldn't do diddley-poo on offense" in his post-game presser is all right in my book.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TikiHog on April 18, 2017, 01:17:41 pm
Softball isn't in the playoffs it still has 3 weeks left in the regular season

Sorry about the mistake - thought I heard the talking heads on the SEC Network talking about Softball playoffs the other day.  Obviously, I misunderstood what they were talking about. 

That said, I do know there are a large number of softball games being telecast lately, for whatever reason.

hog_fan86

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 18, 2017, 11:34:13 am

[/quote]

I could see that for Alabama, LSU, or A&M spring games, but Kentucky spring football? Really SEC Network?

It is frustrating living out of state and in the country and trying to follow games: no radio coverage and can't stream games because of slow internet connection.  I just have to follow either on here or the Razorback baseball twitter feed.

jbell96

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on April 18, 2017, 03:21:19 pm
I agree that the SEC Network should be showing more baseball games.

But it's hard to complain about coverage of this sport when you look how far it's come.

It wasn't all that long ago you had next to no viewing options, (except the tourney, maybe) and for some games, it was a struggle to even find radio coverage.  Maybe you got online and followed some peg men around on a slow-to-update play by play.

Nowadays, it's common to see college baseball on television, and it's only getting better.

Furthermore, many of us can download the Watch ESPN app, hook an adapter up between the phone and TV, and get just about any game we want on the big screen.

It's not great yet, but it's better and will only continue to improve.   :razorback:

Couldn't agree more. It's not perfect, but it is a 1000 times better than it used to be. Of the 38 games we've played, I've only missed 2, both La Tech games because I live in St. Louis and don't have Cox. I'll only miss tonight's & the K-State game next week, for the rest of the season, so 4 games out of an entire season is pretty sweet when you consider what we used to have to deal with.

That said, SEC Network needs to make better use of their alternate channels.

Cinco de Hogo

I don't make any effort to watch sports anymore.  The hoops they constantly want you to jump through to get and keep coverage that works, is dependable, and last more than a few months before they change something is not worth it anymore.  I keep up on Hogville and spend the rest of my time enjoying family and life.  I know that two will take my place and it doesn't matter to the marketing gurus, it is what it is, frustrating.

jbell96

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 26, 2017, 06:10:15 am
I don't make any effort to watch sports anymore.  The hoops they constantly want you to jump through to get and keep coverage that works, is dependable, and last more than a few months before they change something is not worth it anymore.  I keep up on Hogville and spend the rest of my time enjoying family and life.  I know that two will take my place and it doesn't matter to the marketing gurus, it is what it is, frustrating.

So the point of your post is????????

ricepig

April 26, 2017, 10:20:20 am #16 Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:07:08 pm by ricepig
Quote from: jbell96 on April 26, 2017, 10:12:14 am
So the point of your post is????????

I think it was that he lost his remote, best I can figure out.

The NewEra

Last night was the first time I've ever listened to an entire baseball game on the radio.  The back yard hammock and I had a reunion.  It was not bad, but I sure like seeing the Hogs on t.v.  I kept checking my weather app to see if I thought we would beat the rain or have to declare a draw.

southeasthog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 26, 2017, 06:10:15 am
I don't make any effort to watch sports anymore.   I keep up on Hogville and spend the rest of my time enjoying family and life.

For someone that doesn't watch, you sure have some strong opinions on the teams.