Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weight Room Workouts

Started by hvsupastar, April 05, 2017, 10:29:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hvsupastar

How do you split up your workouts? 

How about sets and reps?

How long do your workouts usually last? 

Just trying to make this an open discussion.

I split mine like this

Chest, Tris
Back, Bi's
Legs
Shoulders with a little extra chest work
If I go a 5th day I'll pump my arms up again

I rotate a 6x6, 5x8, 4x10, and 10-8-6-4-3-2-1 Pyrimid on bench and squat, usually going sets of 8 on auxillary's.

Most day I try to be pretty intense and in and out in 45 minutes or so. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

nationwish

My base weightlifting routine was: Chest/Back, Biceps/Triceps, Legs, Shoulders and an extended core. After awhile I would switch to your split and do it that way awhile. For a long time I was doing as many as 8 exercises for each muscle group, three sets each, mostly super sets. I thought that really was overkill, especially since I'm not training to play professionally, so I cut that down to 4 or 5 exercises per muscle group.

Now I mostly do body weight exercises. I can do it pretty much anywhere, so if I travel for work I don't have to miss workouts (though back can still be a challenge). I can also get a really good workout in 30 minutes. I will do each muscle group more often, 3 to 5 times a week, but it is made up of shorter workouts. I still get really good results, and there are so many variations on things to do that it never gets boring.

The creativity available for body weight training is one of its most appealing aspects. I was thinking one day what I could do to work my shoulders, so I went to the wall and got into a handstand against it and started walking lower down close to a flat plank with my feet on the wall, then back up. Just doing that 3 times is a challenge. It really is something where you can make something up on the fly and challenge yourself to do things you never thought you'd be able to do. Even if you are committed to lifting weights, I would strongly suggest trying a body weight routine for a month or so while taking a break from the heavy weights.

clutch

My splits and set/rep schemes change based on the results I'm looking for.

If I'm looking for strength gains, I usually stick to the Wendler 5/3/1 program. With a day centered around Bench, Press, Squat, and Deadlift. I will add accessory lifts in on each of those days to compliment the muscle group I'm targeting. I usually either throw Bi's and Tri's in with Bench and Deadlift, or have a separate day where I do them.

If I'm looking for size gains, I usually do a Chest/Bi, Back/Tri, Shoulder/Abs, Legs split. My set/rep scheme is usually 4 sets, start with a weight that is challenging for 4 sets of 8 reps. Stay with that weight until I can get 4 sets of 12. Once I get 4 consecutive sets of 12 I bump the weight up the next week. I've had great results with this. Most people normally mix chest/tri and back/bi, but I like to split them up. Tri's get hit pretty hard on chest day and Bi's get hit pretty hard on back day. By mixing them up, I'm getting the most of out my Bi and Tri lifts because that muscle isn't as fatigued, plus it's pretty much getting them hit twice a week as well that way.

hawgrunner

Upper body twice a week 3 sets of 8 to 10, warm up with a 2-mile run.
Lower body once a week 3 sets of 8 to 10, warm up with 1-mile run & 1,600 meters on the rowing machine.
Days not in the gym out riding the bike anywhere from 15 to 20 miles on weekdays and on Saturdays 35 to 65 miles.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Bicep curls 7 days a week.  Not really.

Been doing the gym so long and I'm nearing 40, I'm changing it up a bit.  I do what I feel like doing.  I usually start with 20-30 minutes of cardio each day, then do a push day, a pull day, a shoulder day, and a leg day.  If I get to go a fifth day, I'll do an arm day.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

McKdaddy

My routine has to change-up regularly (each month I'm provided a new routine) or I'm not motivated to go, or not motivated to push it when there.

My workouts are of the circuit training format. Not sure if that is what they are actually called these days, but this is what we would've called them years ago.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Example, July's workout....

Conditioning phase 1:
60-seconds each, 3 rounds....

- Mountain climbers
- Squats w/ swimmer's db press
- Sit-ups
- Yates row (underhand) w/ bb.
- Step-ups. 30-sec/leg.

Conditioning phase 2:

- Push-up position, rotate 1 arm to sky, do push-up, rotate other arm to sky.
- Knees to chest w/ arms supporting.
- Kettlebell deadlift and upright row. Push butt back and go only 2/3 as far as squat.
- Swiss ball back extension. Extend the back and bring arms to TD form, squeezing shoulder blades.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 03, 2018, 03:24:33 pm
Example, July's workout....

Conditioning phase 1:
60-seconds each, 3 rounds....

- Mountain climbers
- Squats w/ swimmer's db press
- Sit-ups
- Yates row (underhand) w/ bb.
- Step-ups. 30-sec/leg.

Conditioning phase 2:

- Push-up position, rotate 1 arm to sky, do push-up, rotate other arm to sky.
- Knees to chest w/ arms supporting.
- Kettlebell deadlift and upright row. Push butt back and go only 2/3 as far as squat.
- Swiss ball back extension. Extend the back and bring arms to TD form, squeezing shoulder blades.

Like to focus on anything that helps my cycling.  8)

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on September 03, 2018, 07:25:33 pm
Like to focus on anything that helps my cycling.  8)

Yes, HR, I should've mentioned that. A trainer gives me the new routine each month and includes a couple of things that might benefit cycling. For those not into cycling or those that might not include cycling specific items into your workouts, please note the exercises above benefitting the shoulders that hold us up for 2-4 hour rides, leg work, and most importantly our core.

I'll post some more in a few minutes and can expound on any exercises. I have brief notes for some of the exercises that might not be clear above.

Silver Hog

Shoulders and calves
Legs
Back and some Bi
Chest and Tri

Usually do 5-6 exercises,  4 sets of 8.  max 45 minutes
some days more intense, some days more social.