Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Buyout

Started by Porked Tongue, April 01, 2017, 09:55:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

For about a week, the buyout has been the main obstacle.

It appears, Long is ready to pay the big salary as we discussed on another thread but not also eat the buyout.  I don't blame him for that since the rumored salary is grandiose.

I had heard the buyout to go to Arkansas was not as high as the base buyout in his contract.  Meaning if he went to other schools it was more as written.  But that might not be true.

I'm not pessimistic here as it appears to be a live back and forth.  However, if this doesn't get done by Tuesday it's time get pessimistic.

Business decision.   I think the middle ground will be found.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Makes too much sense for both sides not to work something out.  Can get creative with structuring etc. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porked Tongue

Agreed.

IMO, lower his salary the first year and pay his buyout.  Give him reachable, given inherited situation, goals for first and second year to get the contract back up to the agreed on amount.

tophawg19

just stop and figure what MSU and USCe just made from this season ? and how much will come in from ads and sponsors
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Porked Tongue

jackflash

a million dollar buy out WOW

coolhog

There are other options.
Don't spend too much.
Long doesn't have a great track record of hiring the right person.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: coolhog on April 02, 2017, 05:04:26 pm

Actually, he does.

Porked Tongue

Scott7703

Quote from: coolhog on April 02, 2017, 05:04:26 pm
There are other options.
Don't spend too much.

No, spend what it takes to make the right hire. Long did well with this hire getting a proven winner.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 02, 2017, 05:08:58 pm
Actually, he does.

Concur, Jimmy Dykes is the only real blemish. Some may say John L  but that was a no win situation
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 01, 2017, 10:08:41 pm
Makes too much sense for both sides not to work something out.  Can get creative with structuring etc. 
Work a football series into the deal.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 02, 2017, 06:35:29 pm

Why the hell not.  Would be a great non traditional match up. 

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 02, 2017, 06:35:29 pm

An uneven home and home, or just overpay them? We probably will spend the Michigan $2M on this.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on April 02, 2017, 07:19:40 pm
An uneven home and home, or just overpay them? We probably will spend the Michigan $2M on this.

2 for 1.  Do the 2 at Washington in the years when we are the away team in Dallas.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 02, 2017, 07:24:23 pm
2 for 1.  Do the 2 at Washington in the years when we are the away team in Dallas.

Brilliant.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 02, 2017, 07:24:23 pm

Actually, we'll spend the Michigan $2M on women's basketball, $750,000 to payoff Jimmy, and $1.25M  to buyout Neighbors.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Could we get a filter that changes Jimmy Dykes to just a series of random characters or a blank space.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 02, 2017, 09:42:59 pm
Could we get a filter that changes Jimmy Dykes to just a series of random characters or a blank space.

Seconded.

razoredge178

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 02, 2017, 06:06:08 pm
Concur, Jimmy Dykes is the only real blemish. Some may say John L  but that was a no win situation

Yah Bielema and CMA have been impressive hires so far. A football coach who takes almost 5 years to discover his defensive approach sucks, and oh yah, same thing for the basketball coach. 5 years to try something different.

No win situation or not, what 1/2 wit could sit across from a desk with JLS and figure he could be the anchor to hold down the boat for a year? That's all on Long.

And he didn't do any better at Pitt.

Oklahawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 03, 2017, 10:38:48 am
Yah Bielema and CMA have been impressive hires so far. A football coach who takes almost 5 years to discover his defensive approach sucks, and oh yah, same thing for the basketball coach. 5 years to try something different.

No win situation or not, what 1/2 wit could sit across from a desk with JLS and figure he could be the anchor to hold down the boat for a year? That's all on Long.

1612 posts indicates you know the history of the programs you mention better than this post indicates. Certainly, let's not piss on the fact we have hired a high-quality women's basketball coach.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

razoredge178

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 03, 2017, 10:38:48 am

Did I forget Pel?

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 03, 2017, 10:49:38 am
Did I forget Pel?

Obviously forgot that Broyles hired him, lol.....

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 11:38:54 am

The record of mediocrity spans both AD's for sure.

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 03, 2017, 11:56:16 am
The record of mediocrity spans both AD's for sure.
Let's see your record......

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 12:20:04 pm

1615 posts and (unfortunately) counting.

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 12:20:04 pm

Lets see yours. You're the best at asking people to validate their positions, but substantially lack the skill for yourself.

If you disagree, feel free to share Long and Broyles impressive hiring trends that you recall. You want to give credit for Nolan to Frank? OK. Make sure and give him credit for Ford, Heath. Frank had some decent hires but I guess you should when you hire as many as he did.

So what's your record for Longs success stories? You going to dig out the T&F coach? You'll probably have to.

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 03, 2017, 01:07:25 pm
Lets see yours. You're the best at asking people to validate their positions, but substantially lack the skill for yourself.

If you disagree, feel free to share Long and Broyles impressive hiring trends that you recall. You want to give credit for Nolan to Frank? OK. Make sure and give him credit for Ford, Heath. Frank had some decent hires but I guess you should when you hire as many as he did.

So what's your record for Longs success stories? You going to dig out the T&F coach? You'll probably have to.

I don't have a record on coaching hires, and I'm not making the claims you are. When I make a claim, I provide my position, so get your panties out of wad. Name me an AD who has been perfect on every hire, since that seems to be your criteria.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The complaining about Jeff Long is so tired. Anyone that continues to beat this drum is an ignorant fool. There is no reason to argue with them. The only real reason to respond is so that the uniformed observer doesn't assume all fans think that way. U of A has one of the best run departments in the country. We now have high quality coaches across the board in all sports. It is a great time to be an Arkansas Razorback fan in any sport and if you can't enjoy and be proud of that you are a miserable human being that more than likely needs therapy and probably medical attention as well. All that sadness inside has to take a toll on a person.

razoredge178

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2017, 03:48:59 pm
The complaining about Jeff Long is so tired. Anyone that continues to beat this drum is an ignorant fool. There is no reason to argue with them. The only real reason to respond is so that the uniformed observer doesn't assume all fans think that way. U of A has one of the best run departments in the country. We now have high quality coaches across the board in all sports. It is a great time to be an Arkansas Razorback fan in any sport and if you can't enjoy and be proud of that you are a miserable human being that more than likely needs therapy and probably medical attention as well. All that sadness inside has to take a toll on a person.

Based on wins? Oh, you meant based off your 2 cent opinion b/c they make you all warm and fuzzy when they talk.

hawg1221

I believe I saw that MN was making $295k per year. If that's true, it seems like $1 million dollar buyout is excessive.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 11:38:54 am

That hire is on John White.  ;)

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 03, 2017, 04:39:07 pm
That was on John White.

Broyles was the AD, keep up, any thing that happens while one is AD, is their fault.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 03, 2017, 04:06:27 pm
Based on wins? Oh, you meant based off your 2 cent opinion b/c they make you all warm and fuzzy when they talk.

I'm sure the PTB at the University would appreciate it if you'd submit your resume.

Porked Tongue

Contract is 6 yr/ 600k

Appears that a longer contract at a lesser amount might have been the solution to the buyout.

Though I'm only guessing.

psycHOGlogist

Not sure about the language in there - haven't seen anyone else report that Neighbors himself will pay the buyout. Hard to believe.

Porked Tongue

I have no doubt the UA helped pay it one form or the other.  Some out of his pocket and some in overpaying him up front.

I don't see Mike writing a check for $1M.

Dwight_K_Shrute

With Coach Vic making almost $700,000 now I was thinking UofA would have to go to $750,000 or $800,000 to get MN or that caliber.  At $600,000 say they are paying $150,000 to $200,000 under market value.  If that's the case that leaves them room to pay the buyout and explains why it's under market value.

The other part is by not overpaying it leaves room for raises if he achieves what is expected.  Either way looks like it's good contract for both sides. 

factchecker

Why is anyone mad about this hire?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

grayhawg

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: factchecker on April 03, 2017, 07:53:08 pm
Why is anyone mad about this hire?

Because they are determined to hate on the AD and everything he does. The end.

hoglady

This is about the women's basketball hire and nothing else.
Why anyone wants to bring anything else into this discussion I have no idea.

Thank you Jeff Long for making a spectacular hire.
I couldn't be happier.
I have faith that the women's basketball program has been placed on the right track.
It's a great day for women's basketball in Arkansas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 07:56:14 pm
Because they are determined to hate on the AD and everything he does. The end.

You can't win no matter what you do. Haters pure and simple

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hoglady on April 03, 2017, 08:06:38 pm
This is about the women's basketball hire and nothing else.
Why anyone wants to bring anything else into this discussion I have no idea.

Thank you Jeff Long for making a spectacular hire.
I couldn't be happier.
I have faith that the women's basketball program has been placed on the right track.
It's a great day for women's basketball in Arkansas.

Can't wait for next year.  It actually got me thinking about all U of A sports.  I was thinking a fun goal would be to attend at least 1 home event for for every sport.  All these kids need the support, and so many sports go under appreciated.

hoglady

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2017, 08:33:53 pm
Can't wait for next year.  It actually got me thinking about all U of A sports.  I was thinking a fun goal would be to attend at least 1 home event for for every sport.  All these kids need the support, and so many sports go under appreciated.

I have a friend who takes his daughters up every year to catch a couple of women's basketball games, gymnastics and track/field.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Boog41