Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Neighbors Officially Named new UA Women's Basketball Coach(Merged)

Started by psycHOGlogist, March 24, 2017, 08:04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 03, 2017, 11:43:30 am
Long hit this one out of the park.
Grew up in Greenwood Arkansas.
Kids already living in NWA
Stated in an interview that the Arkansas job was his "dream job".
POY team leader graduating from his current school.

Any of us could have made this hire.  It's a great hire for the program, but Long is the beneficiary of the greatest timing since the Big Bang.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 03, 2017, 12:24:48 pm
Grew up in Greenwood Arkansas.
Kids already living in NWA
Stated in an interview that the Arkansas job was his "dream job".
POY team leader graduating from his current school.

Any of us could have made this hire.  It's a great hire for the program, but Long is the beneficiary of the greatest timing since the Big Bang.

So, you prescribe to the theory that any good hires were luck/forced on him, while the bad ones were all his?

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 12:28:40 pm
So, you prescribe to the theory that any good hires were luck/forced on him, while the bad ones were all his?

Sure sounds like it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawg1221

I must be a complete idiot. Ever since Long was hired, people come on here and talk bad about the AD. What has he done that makes him such a bad AD? Hiring JD as WBB coach may have been a mistake, but heck, everybody makes mistakes. Other than that, his overall decision making has been pretty good. Explain again why I don't understand this.

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 03, 2017, 12:44:56 pm
I must be a complete idiot. Ever since Long was hired, people come on here and talk bad about the AD. What has he done that makes him such a bad AD? Hiring JD as WBB coach may have been a mistake, but heck, everybody makes mistakes. Other than that, his overall decision making has been pretty good. Explain again why I don't understand this.

Prepare for an incoherent set of responses concerning a) Pepsi in the stadium, b) John L Smith, c) Mike Anderson and Bret Bielema are not the greatest coaches of all time and thus are abject failures, d) my season tickets cost too much and nobody is going to buy them, and e) he's from somewhere north of Bella Vista and therefore not to be trusted.

Not necessarily in that order.

Contradictory facts are not to be considered, because stop they make brains hurt.

hawg1221

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 12:50:59 pm
Prepare for an incoherent set of responses concerning a) Pepsi in the stadium, b) John L Smith, c) Mike Anderson and Bret Bielema are not the greatest coaches of all time and thus are abject failures, d) my season tickets cost too much and nobody is going to buy them, and e) he's from somewhere north of Bella Vista and therefore not to be trusted.

Not necessarily in that order.

Contradictory facts are not to be considered, because stop they make brains hurt.

John L. Smith is an unfortunate situation where not much else could have been done to save that season due to the rare circumstances. I don't blame Long. S**t happens. But back to WBB, really good hire by Jeff Long. I think Mike will have success. Now it may not be immediate, so fans will have to be patient.

psycHOGlogist

Porked Tongue

How much could the deposit possibly be?  $100?

On a side note, I know of two cases where boosters that withheld their donations due to Dykes, et.al have now renewed their pledges.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 03, 2017, 01:47:06 pm
How much could the deposit possibly be?  $100?

On a side note, I know of two cases where boosters that withheld their donations due to Dykes, et.al have now renewed their pledges.

You must work at the RF, lol.....

navyhog24

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 03, 2017, 12:44:56 pm

CBB and his massive and absurd buyout. Hiring Smiley in the first place. Jimmy Dykes should have never been considered.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 03, 2017, 02:01:36 pm
CBB and his massive and absurd buyout. Hiring Smiley in the first place. Jimmy Dykes should have never been considered.

You need 3 more, or two more plus the FREE space, to achieve Jeff Long Bingo. Please keep trying.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2017, 11:28:30 am
Wait, there are actually people complaining about this hire?
I was just being sarcastic, but people complain about every move he makes.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

I'm not sure many knew how big of a disaster JLS was going to be. Considering it was April, it seemed like a good decision. Keep the coordinators in place, and let a former head coach be the figurehead. However, once we lost that 1st game when Wilson got hurt, and him being a lame duck, the team stopped trying.

Porked Tongue

https://twitter.com/RazNation/status/849015833863090177

I think I was pretty much spot on with an early diagnosis. I think the amount lowered a bit due to the buyout.  It makes sense.

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 26, 2017, 05:30:28 pm
So he earned his way to that figure.

We're starting above that.

I'm in for escalating it later but he's being prepaid.  You know if he performs, then he will get a bump as well.  That bump is deserved.

That's a big "if."  Pay good on front and as success come then reward him.

I'm good with reward clauses.  That's earned.

I've got faith he can do it but you're paying for performance that hasn't occurred.

logic

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 30, 2017, 11:25:46 am
   I live in Bella Vista and we have many people retired here from California.  We have a daughter in California and I hate to go there - way too many people and traffic.  I would never live there.
In 1967, 1,500 people per day were moving into California. How things can change in fifty years.

Pork Twain

Nobody is a 100%, but the JLS mess could have only been avoided if CBP had kept it in his pants.  After that motorcycle wreck, there was no winning in that situation or the upcoming year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Grizzlyfan

You bet.

Grizzlyfan

I'm prescribing to the theory that we should back down on how this hire is all about Long's genius.  I will say again, any of us could have pulled off this hire.  Even you Rice.

Grizzlyfan

And just for clarity, I've never been a Long basher.  And I'm not now.  Top 5 AD's in the country. Every AD is going to hire a dud in the secondary sports occasionally.  Dykes was his.  Now, he still has a lot riding on Bielema.  The results are not in on that one.

NWAHog479

$25 deposit, weren't season tickets like $40 or $45 last season?