Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Underwood to Illinois

Started by ricepig, March 18, 2017, 03:07:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

That's a bit of a surprise.

Tom Crean to OSU? Will they make a play for Marshall?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Sho Nuff

Wow, wasn't he only in Stillwater for one year?

ricepig

Danny J

wow...that's kind of surprising. Is he an alum or maybe from the B1G area?

ShadowHawg

Can't stand okie lite. First round loss and now this, and a hog win!

Pinch me

Inhogswetrust

That is definitely a head scratcher. Make some wonder if there were some in Stillwater that for whatever reason weren't enamored of him. If I were OSU I'd have already called Crean.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowHawg

If Mcgriff wanted to come here would we take him?

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2017, 03:30:48 pm
If Mcgriff wanted to come here would we take him?

I didn't know we have a crime problem..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 18, 2017, 03:38:15 pm
i thought that was McGruff
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 18, 2017, 03:38:15 pm

That's McGruff.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Buck Brewer

Well, the JCPenny's in Stoolwater is closing. He wasn't going to be able to buy cheap suits anymore.

The_Iceman

Great hire by Illinois. He is going to revive that program. Really hurts the impact of Mizzou's mediocre hire, who was hoping to poach the Illinois recruits.

rzrbk4life

Don't blame him. Stillwater sucks
Let's call those hogs!!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: rzrbk4life on March 18, 2017, 04:19:54 pm
Don't blame him. Stillwater sucks
yeah, when Lou Holtz said you can see the end of the world from Fayetteville, he was talking about Oklahoma.

Birminghog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on March 18, 2017, 03:45:40 pm
That's McGruff.

This guy?
<div class="getty embed image" style="background-color:#fff;display:inline-block;font-family:'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;color:#a7a7a7;font-size:11px;width:100%;max-width:394px;"><div style="padding:0;margin:0;text-align:left;"><a href="http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/450532591"; target="_blank" style="color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;">Embed from Getty Images</a></div><div style="overflow:hidden;position:relative;height:0;padding:150.761421% 0 0 0;width:100%;"><iframe src="//embed.gettyimages.com/embed/450532591?et=AXHGIhktTdxWNORLXgjnrQ&tld=com&viewMoreLink=on&sig=TQx5DZvVyVLTHCnspMAGVtPCEgUaSfP3PBpntgO2gK0=&caption=true"; width="394" height="594" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="display:inline-block;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;margin:0;"></iframe></div><p style="margin:0;"></p></div>

Birminghog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 18, 2017, 04:25:26 pm
yeah, when Lou Holtz said you can see the end of the world from Fayetteville, he was talking about Oklahoma.

I used to live in Gainesville, TX, seven miles south of the Oklahoma border. They had a bumper sticker that read, "Gainesville, TX isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here." Hmm.

Sho Nuff

How much was he making at OSU?

ricepig

dsgreen

Quote from: Sho Nuff on March 18, 2017, 04:37:13 pm
How much was he making at OSU?

He was underpaid at 1.1 million, but did more than enough in one year to earn a raise.  There had to have been something happening behind the scenes or Illinois just backed up a dumptruck full of cash to his house.

ricepig

Quote from: dsgreen on March 18, 2017, 04:41:04 pm
He was underpaid at 1.1 million, but did more than enough in one year to earn a raise.  There had to have been something happening behind the scenes or Illinois just backed up a dumptruck full of cash to his house.

http://newsok.com/article/5540794

WorfHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 18, 2017, 04:25:26 pm

LOL, kind of Makes you feel bad for Eddie doesn't it?

Nope.  ;)

Razorod

Also, Keatts to NC State. Wonder if Cleveland will put his name into the UNC-Wlimington hat? I've heard he is interested in becoming a head coach.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Razorod on March 18, 2017, 05:11:59 pm
Also, Keatts to NC State. Wonder if Cleveland will put his name into the UNC-Wlimington hat? I've heard he is interested in becoming a head coach.
That would be a good job. Has Anderson ever had anyone get promoted from his staff anywhere?  He just seems to hire friends and relatives and not guys that are on the fast track to becoming a HC.  Maybe he just want  "yes men"?  I'm not sure.  Watkins was a HC at UNC-Charlotte so he has good experience. 

McKdaddy

A NewsOK writer (Tramel or someone else, I don't recall) stated on the Sports Animal 2 weeks ago that he heard Underwood would entertain offers elsewhere. A week before that Pete Thamel of SI said the same thing. I didn't put much stock in it then, thinking the NewsOK guy was just copying Thamel's lead.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Letsroll1200

Oklahoma state should have been at the table making sure Underwood get a raise. He did a great job at the school.

Biggus Piggus

What a piece of crap, leaving a Big 12 job after one season.
[CENSORED]!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Razorod on March 18, 2017, 03:08:40 pm
That's a bit of a surprise.

Tom Crean to OSU? Will they make a play for Marshall?

Narshall—never.  Crean—sure.

The Boar War

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 18, 2017, 05:43:54 pm
That would be a good job. Has Anderson ever had anyone get promoted from his staff anywhere?  He just seems to hire friends and relatives and not guys that are on the fast track to becoming a HC.  Maybe he just want  "yes men"?  I'm not sure.  Watkins was a HC at UNC-Charlotte so he has good experience. 

His staff is in a strange position for advancement.  Few programs would be willing to hire Watkins knowing that he is due to retire soon.  Fewer programs would want to offer their head coaching job to the third chair of a program that hasn't had much national success.  I think TJ's best option would be to go the D2 route.  No one's ever going to know if he is head coach material unless he actually does it.

Oklahawg

Ate dinner with an OSU booster tonight. Underwood's agent contacted Holder (AD) between the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments and was told there would be no raise beyond what was written into the contract.

This, after they had their golf coach leave for Baylor and a nice raise, and Mike Gundy refuse to sign a contract for almost a year now because it didn't build in raises.

Supposedly, Underwood is getting serious coin with the Illini.

OSU is a mickey mouse operation, by and large.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 18, 2017, 11:33:34 pm
Ate dinner with an OSU booster tonight. Underwood's agent contacted Holder (AD) between the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments and was told there would be no raise beyond what was written into the contract.

This, after they had their golf coach leave for Baylor and a nice raise, and Mike Gundy refuse to sign a contract for almost a year now because it didn't build in raises.

Oh, to double-down on that last notion...they are reducing the seating capacity to the football stadium so that the seats are more comfortable. THey have 1000s of seats that are too narrow by several inches compared to industry standards. I think something like 1500 are only 11 inches wide, with scores more are only 12-16 inches wide. Airplanes are typically 16-18 inches wide.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/boone-pickens-stadium-capacity-to-shrink-seats-to-widen-in/article_b52679a7-d149-5a11-968d-e04caad236f4.html
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

fineswine

Quote from: The Boar War on March 18, 2017, 10:00:30 pm
His staff is in a strange position for advancement.  Few programs would be willing to hire Watkins knowing that he is due to retire soon.  Fewer programs would want to offer their head coaching job to the third chair of a program that hasn't had much national success.  I think TJ's best option would be to go the D2 route.  No one's ever going to know if he is head coach material unless he actually does it.
Would be foolish to leave. TJ has a job for life. When Anderson retires, he'll slide right in. We still won't be a national powerhouse, but most everyone here seems to be OK with it.

Underwood did a GREAT JOB at OSU.  Holder, the AD, is tight with the $$ compared to the NCAA average.  One reason Gundy is not always happy.  For OSU, Gundy holds many school records such as most wins, most Bpowl invites most 10+ win seasons.  Holder may discover today's market has passed him up.

Underwood would have  been my choice to replace Mike if cganges were made.  Changes will not be made partly due to Mike coaching the past dozen or so games, somewhat, like a coach should.   Players choice basketball as it pertains to ALL OUT EFFORT will not be successful in any league.  I hope Mike has decided EFFORT is the first ingredient to winning and runs with that to years of successful BB with us.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 18, 2017, 03:45:04 pm
i thought that was McGruff

It is. But it's play on words week........................

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 18, 2017, 07:59:29 pm
What a piece of crap, leaving a Big 12 job after one season.

Better job for money. How do you blame him?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 18, 2017, 11:35:43 pm
Oh, to double-down on that last notion...they are reducing the seating capacity to the football stadium so that the seats are more comfortable. THey have 1000s of seats that are too narrow by several inches compared to industry standards. I think something like 1500 are only 11 inches wide, with scores more are only 12-16 inches wide. Airplanes are typically 16-18 inches wide.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/boone-pickens-stadium-capacity-to-shrink-seats-to-widen-in/article_b52679a7-d149-5a11-968d-e04caad236f4.html

That's interesting considering they could have done all that when they expanded years ago. Also I know some other places that have tight seats. The hogs play in one of them once a year and Tenner wouldn't seat 100,000 if they made the seats standard size I bet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: fineswine on March 19, 2017, 04:48:02 am
Would be foolish to leave. TJ has a job for life. When Anderson retires, he'll slide right in. We still won't be a national powerhouse, but most everyone here seems to be OK with it.

That has to be a comedy attempt.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 18, 2017, 11:33:34 pm

AD says there were meetings the last 2 weeks talking a new deal. AD says he was uncomfortable doing a new deal in season and asked for them to meet again in Indianapolis. He said Underwood didn't show up for meeting. Throws some jabs at Underwood but says he is mostly angry with himself.

There was a $3 million buyout. Illin deal is for $3m @ 6 years. Kansas State fans will be going ballistic, they wanted Webber to miss the tournament, get fired and go get Underwood. But the buyout to a Big 12 schools was to be $6m....a considerable roadblock. Then Webber closed strong and won a playin game. Can't wait to turn the radio on at 6 am tomorrow......they refer to Underwood as our guy!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

McKdaddy

Re: Underwood lack of renegotiations/raises........Holder was still feeling burned by his own decision to tie down Travis Ford for 10 years + a large buyout after only 1 year -- a pretty good year and a promising future -- when the UK job came open when BG was fired. Boone skewered Holder repeatedly in the press for that Ford contact after year 1. Holder let that Ford situation dictate his direction w/ Underwood.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2017, 04:18:23 pm
Great hire by Illinois. He is going to revive that program. Really hurts the impact of Mizzou's mediocre hire, who was hoping to poach the Illinois recruits.
mediocre hire by Mizzou? Are you serious Clarke?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

wow. i will try to not judge you by this post but the thinly veiled .... nm
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

Would be foolish to leave. TJ has a job for life. When Anderson retires, he'll slide right in.

I was having a great weekend until I read that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChicoHog

Quote from: The Boar War on March 18, 2017, 10:00:30 pm
I don't think he wants anyone to challenge him and his ways.  He wants coaches who want to play his way and his way only or only know that way ala Cleveland and Thurman.  I would love see a contrarian on the staff. 

Inhogswetrust

March 19, 2017, 02:42:04 pm #45 Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:10:14 pm by Inhogswetrust
If Holder is that tight with salaries he will not get a name hire or be able to keep one.

BDSCT51

Quote from: Karma on March 19, 2017, 07:30:14 am
Better job for money. How do you blame him?

Been there and done that myself on more than one occasion. Certainly no judgement if Illinois backed up a truckload of $$$$$ and dumped it in his lap. And it's a bonus that I liked the guy too. Best wishes Coach Underwood!
Bleeding Razorback Red

Vandyhog4

Heck of a hire by Illinois.  I didn't think they had it in them.  Not sure that Illinois is a better job than OSU, but for an extra $2M it is.     

Rawker

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 18, 2017, 05:43:54 pm

Watkins was also HC at TXA&M.  Scott Edgar was probably more known as a Richardson assistant, but he was on the bench when Anderson turned the UAB program back around from a 13-win team before their arrival to a 22 win the next year.  He had been a head coach before and was after that, but Edgar's jobs as head coach couldn't be considered the result of success under Anderson.  Anderson has not been a head coach feeder as of yet, but I imagine TJ will get a shot at some point.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on March 19, 2017, 04:02:43 pm
Heck of a hire by Illinois.  I didn't think they had it in them.  Not sure that Illinois is a better job than OSU, but for an extra $2M it is.     

Illinois is a worse job than OSU. Worse facilities, worse following, recruiting in and to Illinois is not as easy as some think. But you're right for 2 million more it can become for some a deciding factor.