Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 In-State Class

Started by NotSoFastMyFriend, March 15, 2017, 09:21:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSoFastMyFriend

I've seen some rumblings about the 2018 in-state class being light on talent. This doesn't appear to be the case. Eligibility aside, there are probably at least 30 players with varying levels of D1 talent.

If that seems high to you then check out (requires work) the measurables, highlights (all are easily found on HUDL, just type in "first last hudl ar" on google) and on-field production (stats- MaxPreps) for this list of what I assess to be the Top 60 prospects (no particular order) in the state. Let me know what you think.

PlayerSchoolPosition
Clark, LarryBlythevilleOT
Noland, ConnorGreenwoodQB
Smith, J.T.RiverviewWR
Page, NathanRobinsonATH
Bishop, LaDariusAshdownCB
Bohanon, GerryEarleQB
Hampton, TerryEl DoradoDT
Nasilai, OliverHar-BerILB
Shepherd, AdamLR CatholicTE
Swoboda, HunterRobinsonDE
Hill, JadenAshdownQB
Stirgus, DJBentonCB
Lewis, DalvonteCamden FairviewRB
Ramirez, AlejandroHar-BerDT
Vail, CameronBryantS
Ferrell, BillyFordyceDT
Gatlin, NoahJonesboroOT
Burgess, WillLake HamiltonOG
Jones, LukePulaski AcademyOT
Schucker, MasonSearcyQB
Nichols, IsaiahSpringdaleDE
Mays-Hunt, Kam'ronBentonvilleWR
Aycock, AJJonesboroQB
Johnson, TrajenPulaski AcademyWR
Stone, StevenWest MemphisWR
Jessup, LoganWynneDE
Loudermilk, JadynBentonvilleCB
Roberts, DayonteCabotDT
Rice, RJEpiscopalILB
Martin, HDJacksonvilleATH
Williams, TysonJonesboroQB
Howard, JacobLR CentralQB
Hatcher, LaynePulaski AcademyQB
Green, TreAshdownRB
Hall, CedricBatesvilleRB
Holliday, DemetriceBatesvilleWR
Shearin, AsaJonesboroILB
Slayton, JakeJonesboroH-BACK
Burnes, LaDariusLR ChristianRB
Simmons, TwaunMaumelleOLB
Winn, DrewPea RidgeRB
Flanagan, Sean MichaelCharlestonATH
Sledge, KetricFordyceATH
Easley, JarrettFoukeRB
Copher, PaytonHar-BerS
Ellis, ShawnJacksonvilleRB
Warren, CaezarLR HallRB
Jimerson, DemiasMalvernCB
McKay, IsaacMountain HomeATH
Pettway, TyNashvilleS
Turner, DetavionNettletonRB
Snow, AntonioPine BluffCB
Turner, TrentonSearcyWR
Hughes, KirkStuttgartOLB
Scott, DillionArkadelphiaCB
Wiens, JohnCabotTE
Wood, KennyGreenwoodATH
Cook, GavinHighlandDT
Anderson, JacarvisJonesboroDE
Kemp III, BennieLR McClellanOLB

rolyat_2008

NotSoFastMyFriend

ricepig

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 09:40:20 pm
I bet 12-15 don't sign with SEC schools.
You're right and it won't be due to lack of talent.

NotSoFastMyFriend

ricepig

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 15, 2017, 09:43:54 pm
You're right and it won't be due to lack of talent.

Well, we'll see how many are true grade casualties. The thing is, these kids have known since they were 7th-8th graders what it takes to qualify???

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 09:53:11 pm
Well, we'll see how many are true grade casualties. The thing is, these kids have known since they were 7th-8th graders what it takes to qualify???
Correct. It's frustrating.

factchecker

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 15, 2017, 09:57:48 pm
Correct. It's frustrating.

Extremly frustrating.  I wonder if Arkansas would benefit from having a couple of good JUCO programs in state.  I now we have Arkansas Baptist College in Little Rock but it may be beneficial to have something similar to the Kansas or Mississippi's JUCO system.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on March 15, 2017, 10:02:49 pm
Extremly frustrating.  I wonder if Arkansas would benefit from having a couple of good JUCO programs in state.  I now we have Arkansas Baptist College in Little Rock but it may be beneficial to have something similar to the Kansas or Mississippi's JUCO system.

They've all made the switch to 4 year colleges over the years, and never offered football.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 10:04:48 pm
They've all made the switch to 4 year colleges over the years, and never offered football.

Baptist is the only in-state JUCO program with football right?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NotSoFastMyFriend

March 15, 2017, 10:18:43 pm #11 Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:41:24 pm by NotSoFastMyFriend
Quote from: factchecker on March 15, 2017, 10:11:55 pm
Baptist is the only in-state JUCO program with football right?
Yes. I wonder if having more in-state JUCO programs would have the opposite effect, you know, like making more kids feel like they can get eligible for NCAA sports later rather than sooner...

ChicoHog

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 15, 2017, 10:18:43 pm
Yes. I wonder if having more in-state JUCO programs would have the opposite effect, you know, like making more kids feel like they can get eligible for NCAA sports later rather than sooner...
I doubt it.  Kids nowadays think of only today and not the future (most of them).  Parents need to do a better job instilling the work ethic for getting good grades. 

Oklahawg

An awful lot of non-P5 recruits on that list. Enough that we'll come back in 5-6 years and wonder how we missed one. No longer have room to chase 4-5 like we did with Nutt. This class is going to be short in numbers, it appears, and that makes it worse - not to mention that we have such a solid start!

I doubt we get beyond 3-4 in-staters.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

GoHogzzGo

Don't make us disparage Arkansas HS football. Lots of good players come out considering the population. But come on man, when has there ever been that many SEC signings? And that doesn't count Houston Nutt signing everyone with a pulse.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Peter Porker

Last year there were some advocates for Pierre Strong to be recruited by Arkansas. One poster said that he had Darren McFadden speed. I saw him run Tuesday and he ran the 100m in 12 flat and finished 13th or so overall.

Sometimes kids aren't as good or fast as us fans think and maybe, just maybe, these coaches know what they're doing when evaluating.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 16, 2017, 07:42:52 am
Last year there were some advocates for Pierre Strong to be recruited by Arkansas. One poster said that he had Darren McFadden speed. I saw him run Tuesday and he ran the 100m in 12 flat and finished 13th or so overall.

Sometimes kids aren't as good or fast as us fans think and maybe, just maybe, these coaches know what they're doing when evaluating.
I agree, he didn't have SEC speed. Darius Hopkins (Coffeyville), Monta Thomas (Northwest Mississippi) and Dezmon Jackson (Hutchinson) did.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 16, 2017, 06:51:14 am
Don't make us disparage Arkansas HS football. Lots of good players come out considering the population. But come on man, when has there ever been that many SEC signings? And that doesn't count Houston Nutt signing everyone with a pulse.
I'm not making anyone do anything. This is merely an invitation to watch some film and do your own research so you can come to your own conclusions.

GoHogzzGo

Quick numbers for state of Arkansas signings.

First number is total SEC signings from Arkansas (including UA). Second number is just UA signings, including blue shirt and preferred walk-ones.

The teams signing that were not us was Mizzou a couple times, Bama a couple times, Vandy once. Doesn't include the one gentleman who went to Ohio State of course.

2012 - 6 - 6
2013 - 8 - 7
2014 - 6 - 5
2015 - 9 - 8
2016 - 7 - 5
2017 - 7 - 6

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 16, 2017, 08:11:29 am
I'm not making anyone do anything. This is merely an invitation to watch some film and do your own research so you can come to your own conclusions.

Fair enough. I think some people want to avoid program bashing when inevitably we don't go sign 12-15 Arkansas boys. I look forward to watching and cheering for everyone you called out, appreciate the list.

ricepig

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 16, 2017, 08:11:29 am

My own conclusions are, there aren't 12-15 SEC quality players on that list, more like 6-7. Since neither of us do it for a living, it's just opinions, haha. Believe me, I wish we had 12-15 the were SEC athletes who could qualify, it would make things much easier.

NotSoFastMyFriend

March 16, 2017, 09:31:35 am #22 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:55:03 pm by NotSoFastMyFriend
Players who already have SEC offers:

Connor Noland (Arkansas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Kentucky, UCLA, Penn State, others)

Gerry Bohanon (Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Tennessee, others)

Ladarrius Bishop (Arkansas, Okla St, Ark St, Memphis, ULM)

Isaiah Nichols (Miss St, K-State, Ark St)

Isaiah's recruitment is really starting to blow up.
https://twitter.com/N3onKs/status/835627321558188032

Players without SEC offers who are being recruited by SEC schools:

Nathan Page (Offers: Ark St, La. Tech, ULM; also recruited by: Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vanderbilt, Stanford, TCU, Memphis, Navy, others)

JT Smith (Recruited by: Arkansas, Alabama, Louisville, Arizona State, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech)
https://twitter.com/RTRnews/status/762726459089776640

Larry Clark (Offers: Kansas, ULM, UCA; also recruited by: Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Memphis, others)
https://twitter.com/HogManInLa/status/831244200280682496

Oliver Nasilai (Offers: BYU, Okla St; also recruited by: Arkansas, Az St, Utah, Virginia, Memphis, Indiana, Navy, others)
https://twitter.com/TheKing_O35/status/816730757485821952

Hunter Swoboda (Offers: Army, Air Force; also recruited by: Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Illinois, Memphis, Iowa State, La Tech, Navy, Princeton, others)
https://twitter.com/HogManInLa/status/839204592336289792

Terry Hampton (Offers:  Ark St; also recruited by: Arkansas, Louisville, Memphis, Kansas, La Tech, ULM, Tulane, others)

Video of Hampton beating OL Rafiti Ghirmai (has 29 offers, including Alabama) 2/3 times at the Opening in Dallas (Mar. 6, 2017)
https://twitter.com/Final5Linemen/status/838800684111835136

Adam Shepherd (Offers: ULM, Yale, Princeton, Harvard; also recruited by: Arkansas, Miss St, Iowa St, Ark St, WKU, others)
https://twitter.com/daddy_lawnglegs/status/798010342034944000

Noah Gatlin (Offers: Ark St, ULM; also recruited by: Arkansas, Memphis, NC State, Iowa State, La Tech, Tx Tech, Duke, Kansas, Tulane, others)
https://twitter.com/NoahGatlin73/status/834049670481575937

Jacarvis Anderson (Offers: Ark St; also recruited by: Alabama, Miss St, FSU, VT, Louisville, NC State, La Tech, Tulane, others)

Jacarvis goes 6'5", 255 with a frame to add more weight at the DE position He has excellent get off and above average closing speed. At some point the offers should pour in. Junior film below:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4788032/58a7689ec11a090928b4525f

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2017, 09:02:07 am
My own conclusions are, there aren't 12-15 SEC quality players on that list, more like 6-7. Since neither of us do it for a living, it's just opinions, haha. Believe me, I wish we had 12-15 the were SEC athletes who could qualify, it would make things much easier.
Fair enough just want to clarify that I'm not claiming 12-15 SEC *eligible* athletes, I'm saying there are 12-15 SEC-caliber prospects. We know they won't all be eligible and that's the tough part.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 16, 2017, 08:13:20 am
Quick numbers for state of Arkansas signings.

First number is total SEC signings from Arkansas (including UA). Second number is just UA signings, including blue shirt and preferred walk-ones.

The teams signing that were not us was Mizzou a couple times, Bama a couple times, Vandy once. Doesn't include the one gentleman who went to Ohio State of course.

2012 - 6 - 6
2013 - 8 - 7
2014 - 6 - 5
2015 - 9 - 8
2016 - 7 - 5
2017 - 7 - 6

Nice breakdown! If you add the three athletes I mentioned earlier in this thread along with Akial Byers then you have 4 SEC-caliber guys from the 2017 class that couldn't sign SEC offers. That would put last year's group at 11 without researching further past those four.

ricepig

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 16, 2017, 09:37:00 am
Nice breakdown! If you add the three athletes I mentioned earlier in this thread along with Akial Byers then you have 4 SEC-caliber guys from the 2017 class that couldn't sign SEC offers. That would put last year's group at 11 without researching further past those four.

Why was Byers offered by several, and these other 3 zero? We can't claim them as SEC caliber guys until they get some offers out of JUCO. Hopefully they all but in their work and see their work payoff.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2017, 11:17:56 am
Why was Byers offered by several, and these other 3 zero? We can't claim them as SEC caliber guys until they get some offers out of JUCO. Hopefully they all but in their work and see their work payoff.
They were good enough to play in the SEC had they been eligible. Their film was true to their measurables and they all produced at the highest levels possible in their classifications. Coach Lunney was the lead recruiter for all three for the Hogs. Other schools recruiting the trio breaks down as follows:

Monta Thomas (Okla St, Memphis, Purdue, La Tech, Boise St, UCA, UMass)

Dezmon Jackson (WKU, Purdue, Minnesota, Memphis, Ark St, La Tech, Army, Navy)

Darius Hopkins (Ariz St, Memphis, Ark St, Army, Navy, La Tech, Southern Illinois, Texas St)

ricepig

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 16, 2017, 07:32:46 pm
They were good enough to play in the SEC had they been eligible. Their film was true to their measurables and they all produced at the highest levels possible in their classifications. Coach Lunney was the lead recruiter for all three for the Hogs. Other schools recruiting the trio breaks down as follows:

Monta Thomas (Okla St, Memphis, Purdue, La Tech, Boise St, UCA, UMass)

Dezmon Jackson (WKU, Purdue, Minnesota, Memphis, Ark St, La Tech, Army, Navy)

Darius Hopkins (Ariz St, Memphis, Ark St, Army, Navy, La Tech, Southern Illinois, Texas St)

I guess you can show me the links where those schools offered? I know I couldn't find any offers on the three sites I looked for on the first one.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2017, 07:39:52 pm
I guess you can show me the links where those schools offered? I know I couldn't find any offers on the three sites I looked for on the first one.
My bad, rice. When I say that they were recruited I mean they were interested but did not offer. I think I separated "recruited" from "offered" or "offers" in this thread but if I didn't just let me know and I'll fix it.

Unrelated: I really think we need to change the in-state recruiting narrative as well as the false "SEC talent/SEC offers" gambit.

To the first point, the state remains under recruited and it's not going to get any easier. What do I mean? Well, without crunching all of the numbers, there were 111 D1 football teams in 1996 and 128 in 2016. That's a growth of 17 teams over 20 years, or about one D1 team per year. The population of the US in 1996 was about 270 million and rose to 324 million in 2016. Without getting into the demographics of young men ages 14-18 and boiling that down to those that actually play football...

Where I'm going is that there are more bodies competing for fewer spots when you look at the net. That's good for the game but bad for kids who want to play D1. The real challenge is with the coaches and evaluators. Even with all of today's camps and videos and social media, the amount of time that a coaching staff can spend on each prospect is actually less now than 20 years ago because there are so many more players to evaluate.

To the second point, I hope no one here thinks that an offer from Kentucky or Vanderbilt is really any better than an offer from Oklahoma State or Memphis. Realistically, an offer from Alabama, LSU or Florida is no better than an offer from USC, Clemson or Michigan. Since more bodies are competing disproportionately for D1 scholarships, compared to two decades ago, there is greater parity in the game. Bottom line is that the number of D1 programs will never keep pace with the population. As this happens, more talent will spill from the top tier to the 2nd tier, 2nd tier to 3rd tier, and so on. This is how 1st tier teams like Alabama can pull offers at the last minute and suffer no consequences and how teams at the second tier, like Arkansas, save scholarships on signing day with the hopes of landing these prospects.

A rambled a bit here but hopefully some of this makes sense. I enjoy the back and forth here.

factchecker

Jason Kilburn does a great job of covering in-state recruits.

Here is the website he operates: http://www.arkansasnextlevel.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jason_Kilburn
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

No problem, I agree that we miss on some kids, and that some never qualify, but I think Arkansas has always done a acceptable job of identifying the players to recruit. I also think that Petrino and Bielema have expanded our recruiting area, for the better. Some may say it's easier to evaluate with the technology today, you had to wait on film, or actually put eyes on them in the old days, while these days with HUDL and other systems, players and coaches can send what they wish directly to the schools. That, and there are more eyes looking at these kids at the schools, than in past years.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2017, 08:37:42 pm
No problem, I agree that we miss on some kids, and that some never qualify, but I think Arkansas has always done a acceptable job of identifying the players to recruit. I also think that Petrino and Bielema have expanded our recruiting area, for the better. Some may say it's easier to evaluate with the technology today, you had to wait on film, or actually put eyes on them in the old days, while these days with HUDL and other systems, players and coaches can send what they wish directly to the schools. That, and there are more eyes looking at these kids at the schools, than in past years.

Good points. Fortunately there are more people covering in-state recruits than ever before. For example, Jason Kilburn does a really nice job with Ar Next Level and Hooten's has expanded from listing all-state and all-conference selections to posting pre-season prospect watchlists.

ricepig

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 16, 2017, 09:12:55 pm
Good points. Fortunately there are more people covering in-state recruits than ever before. For example, Jason Kilburn does a really nice job with Ar Next Level and Hooten's has expanded from listing all-state and all-conference selections to posting pre-season prospect watchlists.

That's fine for the fans, but I doubt too many college coaches are following Jason, or Hooten's, or waiting on their analysis.

Hawgar The Horrible

There is more than talent, measurables, potential, positions of need and eligibility to consider with this Arkansas staff. If a kid lacks character all the rest is meaningless. And you can bet your bottom dollar the local boys are more highly scrutinized simply due to proximity.

I have no idea how many Bielema has taken a pass on over the years, but I have no doubt it has happened.   
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Oklahawg

The list would be much larger if academics didn't matter.

The list would be much larger if you could sign 30 each year. We'd take a flyer with the last couple of slots on in-state kids.

Hard to honestly track commitable offers. So many schools are not fully honest with "offers" and it makes it hard, like comparing apples to horseshoes (not even oranges!).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

trphog

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 16, 2017, 09:31:35 am
Players who already have SEC offers:

Connor Noland (Arkansas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Kentucky, UCLA, Penn State, others)

Gerry Bohanon (Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Tennessee, others)

Ladarrius Bishop (Arkansas, Okla St, Ark St, Memphis, ULM)

Isaiah Nichols (Miss St, K-State, Ark St)

Isaiah's recruitment is really starting to blow up.
https://twitter.com/N3onKs/status/835627321558188032

Players without SEC offers who are being recruited by SEC schools:

Nathan Page (Offers: Ark St, La. Tech, ULM; also recruited by: Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vanderbilt, Stanford, TCU, Memphis, Navy, others)

JT Smith (Recruited by: Arkansas, Alabama, Louisville, Arizona State, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech)
https://twitter.com/RTRnews/status/762726459089776640

Larry Clark (Offers: Kansas, ULM, UCA; also recruited by: Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Memphis, others)
https://twitter.com/HogManInLa/status/831244200280682496

Oliver Nasilai (Offers: BYU, Okla St; also recruited by: Arkansas, Az St, Utah, Virginia, Memphis, Indiana, Navy, others)
https://twitter.com/TheKing_O35/status/816730757485821952

Hunter Swoboda (Offers: Army, Air Force; also recruited by: Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Illinois, Memphis, Iowa State, La Tech, Navy, Princeton, others)
https://twitter.com/HogManInLa/status/839204592336289792

Terry Hampton (Offers:  Ark St; also recruited by: Arkansas, Louisville, Memphis, Kansas, La Tech, ULM, Tulane, others)

Video of Hampton beating OL Rafiti Ghirmai (has 29 offers, including Alabama) 2/3 times at the Opening in Dallas (Mar. 6, 2017)
https://twitter.com/Final5Linemen/status/838800684111835136

Adam Shepherd (Offers: ULM, Yale, Princeton, Harvard; also recruited by: Arkansas, Miss St, Iowa St, Ark St, WKU, others)
https://twitter.com/daddy_lawnglegs/status/798010342034944000

Noah Gatlin (Offers: Ark St, ULM; also recruited by: Arkansas, Memphis, NC State, Iowa State, La Tech, Tx Tech, Duke, Kansas, Tulane, others)
https://twitter.com/NoahGatlin73/status/834049670481575937

Jacarvis Anderson (Offers: Ark St; also recruited by: Alabama, Miss St, FSU, VT, Louisville, NC State, La Tech, Tulane, others)

Jacarvis goes 6'5", 255 with a frame to add more weight at the DE position He has excellent get off and above average closing speed. At some point the offers should pour in. Junior film below:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4788032/58a7689ec11a090928b4525f

247 says that Jaden Hill has a Mizzou (SEC) offer.
http://247sports.com/Player/Jaden-Hill-84486

factchecker

Quote from: trphog on March 16, 2017, 10:48:00 pm
247 says that Jaden Hill has a Mizzou (SEC) offer.
http://247sports.com/Player/Jaden-Hill-84486

Jaden Hill is committed to play baseball for LSU.  I think we are recruiting him pretty heavy for baseball so maybe we can flip him.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ncbailey

Also has a Great Website on a Mobile Device unlike many...and lastly, ONE HELL OF A MAN!

Quote from: factchecker on March 16, 2017, 08:32:01 pm
Jason Kilburn does a great job of covering in-state recruits.

Here is the website he operates: http://www.arkansasnextlevel.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jason_Kilburn

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 09:53:11 pm
Many kids don't realize playing on the next level is even an option until its too late to fix grades. There are several who don't even begin playing until their junior year
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 17, 2017, 10:14:36 am
Many kids don't realize playing on the next level is even an option until its too late to fix grades. There are several who don't even begin playing until their junior year
That are D-I scholarship worthy?? Please define what you mean by "many" and "several".

Pork Twain

March 17, 2017, 12:15:39 pm #40 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:08:03 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 15, 2017, 09:35:30 pm
There are at least 12-15.
First off, I seriously doubt anyone in this thread would be hired as a talent scout at any P5 program.

I do not know how recruiting is looking in-state, all I can go off of is what I find online, but you just described a good year, not a weak one.  Until the players actually sign with a P5 team, all the offers in the world don't matter, especially not in March.  Sometimes we do not even know what offers are committable vs non-committable for our own team, much less other teams.

Some of our strongest years and corresponding players that signed with P5 schools (players that signed with Arkansas).  I put that in parentheses because as we have seen in the past two decades, time and time again, just because an Arkansas players signs to play for the Hogs, it does not mean they are SEC level talent.  I would say it would be generous to say that about 25-30% of the in-state players Arkansas has signed over the 20 years, would not have been signed by another P5 school.  That is not a knock on the players, just how our state stacks up vs other areas P5 schools recruit from.

2005 - 14 (8 )
2006 - 12 (7)
2007 - 20 (10)
2008 - 18 (15) This year was a huge exception to the norm and there were very few misses.  Maybe the best group of in-stse talent in my lifetime.
2009 - 13 (6)
2010 - 13 (5)
2011 - 12 (6)
2012 - 9 (6)
2013 - 9 (7)
2014 - 8 (5)
2015 - 16 (12)
2016 - 15 (8 )
2017 - 13 (7)
2018 - There are currently six players from the state of Arkansas listed on the 247 2018 recruiting list: Noland, Bohanon, Page, Hill, Foley and Bishop.

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

March 17, 2017, 12:37:37 pm #41 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:56:56 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 17, 2017, 10:14:36 am
It is usually best to avoid generalized terms when discussing specific things.  There is no way to actually validate the claims you just made because that is not tracked in any database.  Sports or no sports, kids know they need to get good grades to do anything with their lives.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

trphog

Quote from: factchecker on March 16, 2017, 10:53:57 pm
Jaden Hill is committed to play baseball for LSU.  I think we are recruiting him pretty heavy for baseball so maybe we can flip him.

Gotcha- didn't realize that

Richard Davenport

2018 is an average year when it comes to SEC talent. You're probably looking at 4-6 guys with potential Arkansas offers.

2019 class could be the next good class.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 17, 2017, 10:55:42 pm
2018 is an average year when it comes to SEC talent. You're probably looking at 4-6 guys with potential Arkansas offers.

2019 class could be the next good class.
The 2019 class may be heavier at the top end with high-profile guys like Treylon Burks, Darius Thomas, Hudson Henry and Elliott Harris but it's quite comparable after that. I disagree with the notion that only in-state players who get Arkansas offers have SEC talent. Between academic casualties and players who don't meet CBB's off-the-field standards there will likely be about a half dozen "SEC" caliber prospects who don't get Hog offers every year.

The point of the thread is to raise some awareness on just how much high-end, SEC-type talent is coming out of the state in 2018. When 4 players already have SEC offers it's a pretty safe move to say 4-6. This thread isn't about safe projections, it's about accurate projections.

NotSoFastMyFriend

A few more players who have the athletic potential to play and develop their way into SEC offers:

Jax Gasaway/Star City/6'7", 275 (Offers: Marshall, ULM, UCA; also recruited by: Arkansas, Memphis, La Tech, Ark St, KU, Navy, Tulane, Yale, others)
https://twitter.com/GasawayJax/status/839671931976704000

Luke Jones/PA/6'6", 295 (Offers: ULM, Texas St, Yale, Princeton; also recruited by: Arkansas, Alabama, Ole Miss, OU, La Tech, KU, Navy, others)
https://twitter.com/Luke__jones26/status/772245512724422656

Layne Hatcher/PA/6'2", 203 (Offers: Ouachita Baptist; also recruited by: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, OU, UCLA, Purdue, Louisville, Ok St, Nebraska, WVU, WSU, Ark St, La Tech, ULL, UNT )
https://twitter.com/LayneHatcher/status/782422462332100612

Hatcher and Jones on OM visit...
https://twitter.com/LayneHatcher/status/835561062611169280
...and OU visit:
https://twitter.com/Luke__jones26/status/797510456168607744

Seebs

Call me a conspiracy theorists, but I think Whoiskid created a new account.  Why the cloak and dagger?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Seebs on March 18, 2017, 11:17:19 am
Call me a conspiracy theorists, but I think Whoiskid created a new account.  Why the cloak and dagger?

Not near enough of worthless prose included in these posts, but one our regulars for sure.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Seebs on March 18, 2017, 11:17:19 am
This is not Whoiskid. Now take off your tinfoil hat lol.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Jonesboro OL Noah Gatlin (6'7", 300) picked up offers from Virginia and Air Force today. That makes 5 offers total and his 1st P5 offer (from the Cavaliers).
https://twitter.com/NoahGatlin73/status/844975679443750912