Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McCasland

Started by ricepig, March 13, 2017, 12:11:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Seminole Indian

Apparently he contacted them first.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Dropkick

Probably his agent contacted them

(notOM)Rebel123

Any truth that Matt Daniels resigned at Marshall? Would ASU hire him as men's coach?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

holeinthewall

I wouldn't consider UNT as a step up from ASU unless he is just wanting to get the hell out of Jonesboro.

Dropkick

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 13, 2017, 01:39:55 pm
I wouldn't consider UNT as a step up from ASU unless he is just wanting to get the hell out of Jonesboro.
Upgrade in conference

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2017, 01:27:57 pm
Any truth that Matt Daniels resigned at Marshall? Would ASU hire him as men's coach?

Yes, he did, and no, they wouldn't. Matt says he's coming back to Arkansas because his wife has accepted a job. It seems sort of backwards, but I don't know the details, I'll ask David this week.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 13, 2017, 01:39:55 pm
Lateral move for sure and family there per "insider".

They have to pay Redwolf Club 500K to get him.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

From their official site:

"I was informed today by Coach McCasland that, due to his family situation in Texas, he has accepted a job at another institution," said Arkansas State Director of Athletics Terry Mohajir.  "We wish him and his family the best moving forward."

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211518931

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 13, 2017, 02:45:57 pm
Lateral move for sure and family there per "insider".

They have to pay Redwolf Club 500K to get him.
Sunbelt to C-USA not lateral IMHO.

Mohajir will find a good replacement if history repeats. AD has been great at coaching hires.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on March 13, 2017, 03:01:34 pm
Sunbelt to C-USA not lateral IMHO.

Mohajir will find a good replacement if history repeats. AD has been great at coaching hires.
I don't know that much about basketball to say.

Did find this Conference RPI Rating on CBSSports.com, that had the SBC at #13, and CUSA at #23.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=post;quote=10753789;topic=631811.0

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 13, 2017, 03:11:08 pm
I don't know that much about basketball to say.

Did find this Conference RPI Rating on CBSSports.com, that had the SBC at #13, and CUSA at #23.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=post;quote=10753789;topic=631811.0

Doubt that happens on a yearly basis. Several former SunBelt member institutions must have thought it was better than a lateral move.

Be interesting to see what UNT pays him.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on March 13, 2017, 03:20:37 pm
Doubt that happens on a yearly basis. Several former SunBelt member institutions must have thought it was better than a lateral move.

Be interesting to see what UNT pays him.

At the time they were probably right , but things have changed big-time, and the consensus is that CUSA's decision to go after "markets" to maintain their TV revenue, turned out to be a very bad one in retrospect.

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 13, 2017, 03:44:21 pm
At the time they were probably right , but things have changed big-time, and the consensus is that CUSA's decision to go after "markets" to maintain their TV revenue, turned out to be a very bad one in retrospect.
Do you have any links regarding that consensus, I would be interested in reading.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on March 13, 2017, 05:11:17 pm
Do you have any links regarding that consensus, I would be interested in reading.

Do it yourself!

Here is a link to a discussion on Hogville.net:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=605317.0

Seminole Indian

Here is an interview with A-State AD on AStateNation radio on 95.3 the Ticket.

http://www.953theticket.com/?p=17615

Dropkick

Lol, so Hogville and the ASU AD are the consensus. Ok.

By the way, hearing McCasland's asst. may get the job.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Dropkick on March 13, 2017, 01:41:00 pm
Upgrade in conference

Sun Belt passed CUSA in football bowl shares in 2016-17 season. 

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on March 14, 2017, 11:39:36 am
Lol, so Hogville and the ASU AD are the consensus. Ok.

By the way, hearing McCasland's asst. may get the job.

Has he expressed interest?

Dropkick

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 14, 2017, 11:56:33 am
Sun Belt passed CUSA in football bowl shares in 2016-17 season. 
Does either have a TV deal?

ricepig

RagingHawgOn

Ross Hodge

Mutual interest confirmed.

Quite a resume, too.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on March 14, 2017, 12:50:57 pm
A link from 2012?

Try this......
"The Sun Belt's primary TV carrier is ESPN3, an internet-based broadcast. Benson said the ESPN3 product continues to expand as people gain familiarity with it and the WatchESPN application on their cell phones.

"ESPN3 is growing each week as people become accustomed to it and just the mechanics of how to get on and how to hook it to your big screens," Benson said. "I think we are on the verge of ESPN3 and WatchESPN really being seamless."

http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/troy/sun-belt-brand-shows-growth-with-tv-deals/article_d3ac1514-8444-11e6-a753-3f47300c4a50.html

Thanks.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on March 14, 2017, 12:51:14 pm

Ross Hodge

Mutual interest confirmed.

Quite a resume, too.
Don't think many of their fans would be upset if they hired him. His resume is about as impressive as McCasland's, and he is highly regarded as a recruiter.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=35067&SPID=2746&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=210884922&Q_SEASON=2016

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 14, 2017, 12:59:35 pm
Don't think many of their fans would be upset if they hired him. His resume is about as impressive as McCasland's, and he is highly regarded as a recruiter.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=35067&SPID=2746&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=210884922&Q_SEASON=2016
The continuity would be a plus

holeinthewall

CUSA is big markets where no one cares about the teams. So they can preach market numbers but in actuality there are more people in Arkansas going to turn on or attend an ASU football game then FIU or FAU combined.

2016 average attendance
http://cusa-talk.com/

FAU  10,073  and don't go back to 2015 because they had Miami for a home game in what was all Miami in the stands.
FIU   16,789
UNT 19,892
Rice 21,425
UTSA 23,038

Leading CUSA

The big market of Southern Miss @ 28,588. 

Sun Belt was
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/app-state-football-leads-sun-belt-in-attendance/article_af3de792-a226-512d-a9e2-083ad87aaec1.html

App St  26,153
Arkansas st 22,700
Troy 22,534

asuato

He will get paid $600k a year at UNT plus the $500k buyout owed to ASU. ASU was paying $350k/year.  Hard to fault the move with the pay raise and family there.

holeinthewall

Quote from: asuato on March 15, 2017, 01:56:58 am
He will get paid $600k a year at UNT plus the $500k buyout owed to ASU. ASU was paying $350k/year.  Hard to fault the move with the pay raise and family there.

Nope and ASU covers his salary and probably a couple assistants also. Revenue was up from the increased attendance. The decent year should help the new HC with recruiting some kids for next year.

Inhogswetrust

March 15, 2017, 08:08:51 am #29 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:05:11 pm by Inhogswetrust
A no brainer for him. It's nor always about conference affiliation. It is not a step down. UNT has twice as many students and three times the endowment. Basketball facilities are a little better. The big thing though is life in the Delta versus life in what has become a major DFW area suburb. In other words Denton is better than Jonesboro. Just my opinion and I've lived in Jonesboro and spent a lot of time in Denton and that area. IF I was forced to live in the DFW area Denton or Grapevine are the two I'd look at first to live in.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 15, 2017, 08:08:51 am
A no brainer for him. It's nor always about conference affiliation. It is not a step down. UNT has twice as many students and three times the endowment. Basketball facilities are a little better. The big thing is though is life in the Delta versus life in what has become a major DFW area suburb. In other words Denton is better than Jonesboro. Just my opinion and I've lived in Jonesboro and spent a lot of time in Denton and that area. IF I was forced to live in the DFW area Denton or Grapevine are the two I'd look at first to live in.
I lived in the area in the early 80's, and enjoyed it.

Even discounting the fact UNT is willing to pay him a lot more than A-State, it does seem like a better fit for him and his family, and he is good enough of a coach to  do well in CUSA.

As far as A-State they seem to be focusing on getting the men's basketball program back to where it use to be, and appear willing to pay a decent salary. There is no doubt a good coach can win there, and their fans will show up if there is something to see, so if they don't promote Hodge, they should be in position to attract a another good coach.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 15, 2017, 08:45:27 am
I lived in the area in the early 80's, and enjoyed it.

Even discounting the fact UNT is willing to pay him a lot more than A-State, it does seem like a better fit for him and his family, and he is good enough of a coach to  do well in CUSA.

As far as A-State they seem to be focusing on getting the men's basketball program back to where it use to be, and appear willing to pay a decent salary. There is no doubt a good coach can win there, and their fans will show up if there is something to see, so if they don't promote Hodge, they should be in position to attract a another good coach.

Agree with a lot of that. However they do need to renovate the Convo. Perhaps add a nice practice facility.
On another note is there any rumors of note as to who they might be looking at as a replacement?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 12:57:11 pm
Agree with a lot of that. However they do need to renovate the Convo. Perhaps add a nice practice facility.
On another note is there any rumors of note as to who they might be looking at as a replacement?

They put in some new seating and boards the past few years from many NEA tournament trips. I doubt many at their level have "nice" practice facilities, they have something they can practice in and have VB matches.

As to replacement, Ross Hodges, an assistant is rumored to be in the mid.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2017, 01:06:28 pm
They put in some new seating and boards the past few years from many NEA tournament trips. I doubt many at their level have "nice" practice facilities, they have something they can practice in and have VB matches.

As to replacement, Ross Hodges, an assistant is rumored to be in the mid.

Having a nice practice facility and such might be a huge inducement for getting AND retaining recruits and well as coaches. That and money of course. I was in the convo last spring for the graduation of my niece. It still needs renovations. New boards isn't enough.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 01:27:23 pm
Having a nice practice facility and such might be a huge inducement for getting AND retaining recruits and well as coaches. That and money of course. I was in the convo last spring for the graduation of my niece. It still needs renovations. New boards isn't enough.

Well, have your niece give them a big donation then, lol, because they've spent all the money they are going to on it. They aren't in the SEC, they don't have any money. BWA needs lots of renovations, you been inside it lately?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 01:27:23 pm

Seems to me that the best floor to practice on is the one you play your games on.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 16, 2017, 03:20:39 pm
Seems to me that the best floor to practice on is the one you play your games on.

Where are they going to do the tractor pulls?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 16, 2017, 03:20:39 pm

Aw yes the proverbial dead horse argument.....................

Seminole Indian

Northeast Bound and Down

Looks like they are hiring Louisville assistant Mike Balado. Pretty good get if you look at the Pitino coaching tree. 4 of his former assistants made the tourney this year:  Willard at Seton Hall, Pitino at Minnesota, Cronin at Cincy, and Keatts at UNC Wilmington (hired by NC State yesterday.

Seminole Indian

He apparently was close to landing the job last year, plus he and A-State's AD were at FAU at the same time so they know each other.