Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zhaire Smith

Started by skinnypig, March 06, 2017, 06:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sickboy

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 20, 2017, 01:39:45 pm
My mom has been in a wheelchair for 2 decades. If the distances are close a wheelchair won't change that and drive time should be the same as regular vehicle to boot.

That wheelchair must have a v8.

Hogdomer

Quote from: 311Hog on March 20, 2017, 12:14:35 pm
Dad is in a wheel chair so not sure it is as straight forward.

I don't see why that would make the distance factor any different.  I'm just saying the difference between getting to Austin and Fayetteville is not much different.  Now maybe they are talking about the fact that Texas plays OU, TCU and Baylor in conference and those games are closer?

Rawker

Quote from: Hogdomer on March 20, 2017, 11:14:50 am
It takes 5 hours to get to Fayetteville from Garland.  Getting through the traffic on 35 to get to Austin is not that much shorter.  Have done both many times.

Me too.  I'd rather drive to Fayetteville from 6 hours away than have to sit on the freeway in Round Rock for 4.  No matter....I just hope Smith gets here.  We actually need this dude.

duckman

They would play games at Baylor, TCU etc.  That said, still like our chances.

duckman

It's not about the wheelchair guys...

HossHog

Quote from: King Kong on March 20, 2017, 08:00:08 am
BJ never played for either one of those coaches.

He did commit to Pel but never played for him
My mistake

Little Lady Back

Hope that we can land Zhaire. Would be a big get.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: duckman on March 20, 2017, 03:56:12 pm
It's not about the wheelchair guys...
Sure wish I could climb those mountains.  Oh wait, wrong forum.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 20, 2017, 10:17:57 am
I'm assuming now that we're done with the Tourney that we should be hearing something soon on his official visit plans to the Hill.

Hoping it's this week. Would love to at least get a visit with mom and dad coming along so they can see where their son is going to be for the next four years.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 15, 2017, 01:00:45 am
let Chase Hayden play the point. Better than several of the point guards we've had (most of the Heath-Pel years).
Patrick Beverly was pretty good.

The_Iceman

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 21, 2017, 03:09:57 pm
Patrick Beverly was pretty good.

He mostly played 2 guard for us.

duckman

Hogville made this happen, and Zhaire and his family appreciated the effort...

His Dad posted this earlier on FB.....

Billy Smith,

Tune in Saturday 25th at 6:30pm final show on IHSS DFW, see Zhaire Smith receive his bobble head for "Best Dunker", Truly Blessed!!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10202920284363779&id=1703093177

Birminghog

It was a lot of fun, too, Duck.

Hog_Swanson

When is this kid going to announce he is a hog?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Razorod

I thought he was scheduled for a visit to TTech this weekend. Maybe we'll hear something after this weekend.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

NWAHog479

Lubbock or Fayetteville, just ask Dusty...

RealHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 24, 2017, 10:33:45 am
Lubbock or Fayetteville, just ask Dusty...

I'll miss Dusty. Glad we at least will have Macon next year for 3pt shooting.

Pinto

Quote from: RealHog on March 24, 2017, 02:08:09 pm
I'll miss Dusty. Glad we at least will have Macon next year for 3pt shooting.

I won't miss his lack of effort on the defensive end though...

RealHog

Quote from: Pinto on March 24, 2017, 02:11:52 pm
I won't miss his lack of effort on the defensive end though...

He was adequate. Macon plays good D though.

reddawg213

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 23, 2017, 04:04:58 pm
When is this kid going to announce he is a hog?

Being in the DFW area, the local feeling is that he is most likely going to Texas. But Hogs are still in the hunt.

Pinto

Quote from: reddawg213 on March 24, 2017, 04:20:51 pm
Being in the DFW area, the local feeling is that he is most likely going to Texas. But Hogs are still in the hunt.

Same local feeling we had with Monk?

reddawg213

Quote from: Pinto on March 24, 2017, 05:38:33 pm
Same local feeling we had with Monk?

To some extent, I'd say yes, but Dallas isn't really UT territory the way that Bentonville is Hog territory. You have a lot of UT fans of course but just as many OU, TCU, Texas Tech, and even some A&M guys thrown in.

Honestly, it's going to come down to playing time. There seems to be a feeling that he is eyeing a situation that will let him play a bunch of mins and possibly turn pro in the next year or two. That helps increase the chances of it happening but he might be looking at the situation now where he would split time with 2-3 other guys depending on where they play him even if he was a starter. At UT, he could get some quality mins and possibly start sooner as they don't have much depth at small forward there.
That's the same situation he would have at Texas Tech. Lots of guards less forwards.

Hence, why it's leaning towards UT for a lot of people. That being said, if he wants to play against the best competition and make the dance next year, Fayetteville is his best option of the two.

HossHog

Can this kid shoot any? I'm not expecting him to be shooting 40% or anything but if he is playing the 3 I would like at least 30% preferably 35%

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HossHog on March 25, 2017, 12:08:12 am
Can this kid shoot any? I'm not expecting him to be shooting 40% or anything but if he is playing the 3 I would like at least 30% preferably 35%

Very good shooter based on games I watched on YouTube.

Pinto

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 25, 2017, 12:12:21 am
Very good shooter based on games I watched on YouTube.

Yes, his mid range jumper seems to be very impressive. His offensive game kind of reminds me of a younger Kawhi Leonard.

Pinto

Quote from: reddawg213 on March 24, 2017, 06:55:58 pm
To some extent, I'd say yes, but Dallas isn't really UT territory the way that Bentonville is Hog territory. You have a lot of UT fans of course but just as many OU, TCU, Texas Tech, and even some A&M guys thrown in.

Honestly, it's going to come down to playing time. There seems to be a feeling that he is eyeing a situation that will let him play a bunch of mins and possibly turn pro in the next year or two. That helps increase the chances of it happening but he might be looking at the situation now where he would split time with 2-3 other guys depending on where they play him even if he was a starter. At UT, he could get some quality mins and possibly start sooner as they don't have much depth at small forward there.
That's the same situation he would have at Texas Tech. Lots of guards less forwards.

Hence, why it's leaning towards UT for a lot of people. That being said, if he wants to play against the best competition and make the dance next year, Fayetteville is his best option of the two.

I disagree with a few things you said here. He would have a GREAT chance to start here because we really lack depth at the 3 spot. And he would play against less competition if he went to Texas? How? Lol

reddawg213

Quote from: Pinto on March 25, 2017, 06:55:25 am
he would play against less competition if he went to Texas? How? Lol

It's not to say that he wouldn't have competition. But there are 3 SEC teams (nearly 4) in the Elite 8 compared to 1 from the Big 12 this year. That's not to say that the Big 12 doesn't have any ballers but the SEC is the better conference basketball wise. But, to each his own.

Pinto

Quote from: reddawg213 on March 25, 2017, 07:25:05 am
It's not to say that he wouldn't have competition. But there are 3 SEC teams (nearly 4) in the Elite 8 compared to 1 from the Big 12 this year. That's not to say that the Big 12 doesn't have any ballers but the SEC is the better conference basketball wise. But, to each his own.

Even though the SEC teams in the tourney have gotten hot at the right time, I wouldn't get carried away and say the SEC is better than the Big 12 especially as far as depth.

SPAL

Quote from: Pinto on March 25, 2017, 07:50:46 am
Even though the SEC teams in the tourney have gotten hot at the right time, I wouldn't get carried away and say the SEC is better than the Big 12 especially as far as depth.

We went 5-5 against them in the big 12/sec challenge with Kentucky,  Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina accounting for exactly 1 win.

Hmm.

reddawg213

I think you could make a valid argument for either the SEC or Big 12. However, one thing is clear . . . . .  Arkansas is the better team out of his options. Assuming everyone comes back, the Hogs are setup to do some real damage next year and, God willing, might finally break through to the Sweet 16 again.

Pinto

Quote from: reddawg213 on March 25, 2017, 09:59:11 am
I think you could make a valid argument for either the SEC or Big 12. However, one thing is clear . . . . .  Arkansas is the better team out of his options. Assuming everyone comes back, the Hogs are setup to do some real damage next year and, God willing, might finally break through to the Sweet 16 again.

I definitely agree. Adding Zhaire on the wing would make us VERY dangerous. He and Gafford would be a terror on the offensive glass

duckman

Quote from: Pinto on March 25, 2017, 03:33:44 pm
I definitely agree. Adding Zhaire on the wing would make us VERY dangerous. He and Gafford would be a terror on the offensive glass

And they know this....

Hogs run wild

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 25, 2017, 08:37:33 am
We went 5-5 against them in the big 12/sec challenge with Kentucky,  Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina accounting for exactly 1 win.

Hmm.

south carolina didn't play.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

duckman

Birminghog

duckman

Quote from: Birminghog on March 26, 2017, 11:29:41 am
Very cool. Thanks, Duck!

Zhaire Smith, come on up!

Wew should know a lot the weekend of the Final Four....

batmanfan

Is that when he is coming to visit? Next weekend?
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

duckman

Quote from: batmanfan on March 26, 2017, 04:10:44 pm
Is that when he is coming to visit? Next weekend?

"The official visit would be after 7th, dead period during the final 4, will decide after tnmt on last visit."

mhuff

Has Porter already committed to Missou or is this speculation.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mhuff on March 26, 2017, 06:37:00 pm
Has Porter already committed to Missou or is this speculation.

He has made his commitment to Missouri official.

The_Iceman

Just FYI:

Adding Zhaire Smith to our 2017 class would move it from the 31st class in the country and 6th in the SEC, to the #13 class in the country and 3rd in the SEC.

The_Iceman

Texas already has a pretty solid class, #6 in the country.

http://texas.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

logic

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2017, 07:44:33 pm
Texas already has a pretty solid class, #6 in the country.

http://texas.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits
That's true.  Four 4 stars all under top 100 and two under top 50 and likely another 4 star is  an outstanding class.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2017, 07:40:20 pm
Just FYI:

Adding Zhaire Smith to our 2017 class would move it from the 31st class in the country and 6th in the SEC, to the #13 class in the country and 3rd in the SEC.

That's really surprising.  He's just ranked by one site, 247, as a 3* star right? 

duckman

Quote from: logic on March 26, 2017, 08:20:52 pm
That's true.  Four 4 stars all under top 100 and two under top 50 and likely another 4 star is  an outstanding class.

What other 4 star is likely?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 26, 2017, 08:55:06 pm
That's really surprising.  He's just ranked by one site, 247, as a 3* star right? 

4 star on 247. But yes that is the only site that has evaluated him yet

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 26, 2017, 11:06:27 pm
4 star on 247. But yes that is the only site that has evaluated him yet

Actually a 3* on 247
http://247sports.com/Player/Zhaire-Smith-93859

The_Iceman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 27, 2017, 12:33:51 am
Actually a 3* on 247
http://247sports.com/Player/Zhaire-Smith-93859

His player card isn't updated for some reason. If you check the top 150 rankings, you'll see him as a 4-star. This confused me too.

NoogaHog

So UNLV has a kid named Check'm Dong? OK...
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

3kgthog

Smith is your next Qualls if he commits. He's got Qualls/Dean/Thompson level bounce.