Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USGA looking at simplifying some rules, changing others

Started by Hawgndaaz, March 01, 2017, 01:39:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgndaaz

This stuff is long overdue.

Technology has made the rules so nitpicky that even tour players are fed up. Golf is hard, expensive, and time consuming. Most of these rules are geared towards simplifying the game and speeding up pace of play. So glad the USGA is listening to not just the pros, but regular golfers like us.

Stroke-and-distance rule for out of bounds is allegedly topic #1 on their agenda

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/usga-ra-still-looking-stroke-and-distance-solution/?cid=facebook-gc-a-usga-ra-still-looking-stroke-and-distance-solution-030117

other rules up for change:

http://golfweek.com/2017/03/01/usga-ra-propose-sweeping-overhaul-of-golf-rules-for-2019/

accidental movement of balls on greens; where and how to take relief; application of red penalty areas to non-water hazards; repair of damaged greens, including spike marks; approval of distance-measuring devices; elimination of penalties for accidental touching of loose impediments in bunkers and penalty areas; the outlawing of caddies assisting in alignment; a greater emphasis on player integrity in administering rulings; and the promotion of measures to speed pace of play.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boarcephus

One rule I'd like to see changed is to get rid of the topographical maps of the greens.  Let those guys figure them out. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 02, 2017, 07:10:58 pm
One rule I'd like to see changed is to get rid of the topographical maps of the greens.  Let those guys figure them out. 

Seriously, that's a concern?

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 07:49:44 pm
Seriously, that's a concern?

Hell yes, I lay in bed at night worrying about it.  Let those guys figure out the breaks on their own.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 02, 2017, 07:56:11 pm
Hell yes, I lay in bed at night worrying about it.  Let those guys figure out the breaks on their own.

They, or their caddies walk the course and know the topography of the greens, those cheat sheets just help speed up the rounds. Now, I don't think they get graph we get on TV telling the break and how far and how much we get when watching. Of course, the may have some sort of Google eyewear or contacts that I'm unaware of.

Jackrabbit Hog

I think instead of slow play warnings, when a Jason Day-type has taken more than his allotted time over a shot, his ball should explode and cover him with blue dye.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 03, 2017, 06:12:13 am
I think instead of slow play warnings, when a Jason Day-type has taken more than his allotted time over a shot, his ball should explode and cover him with blue dye.

I think every golfer after he addresses the ball should step back, hold his club with one hand with one eye closed while reaching for his security blanket, err, towel with the other, and then proceed to hit the ball. That is of course, if the wind isn't blowing over the allowed legal limit.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 01, 2017, 01:39:23 pm
This stuff is long overdue.

Technology has made the rules so nitpicky that even tour players are fed up. Golf is hard, expensive, and time consuming. Most of these rules are geared towards simplifying the game and speeding up pace of play. So glad the USGA is listening to not just the pros, but regular golfers like us.

Stroke-and-distance rule for out of bounds is allegedly topic #1 on their agenda

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/usga-ra-still-looking-stroke-and-distance-solution/?cid=facebook-gc-a-usga-ra-still-looking-stroke-and-distance-solution-030117

other rules up for change:

http://golfweek.com/2017/03/01/usga-ra-propose-sweeping-overhaul-of-golf-rules-for-2019/

accidental movement of balls on greens; where and how to take relief; application of red penalty areas to non-water hazards; repair of damaged greens, including spike marks; approval of distance-measuring devices; elimination of penalties for accidental touching of loose impediments in bunkers and penalty areas; the outlawing of caddies assisting in alignment; a greater emphasis on player integrity in administering rulings; and the promotion of measures to speed pace of play.

Can't wait until B. Elliot starts timing guys during MGA
Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2017, 07:58:11 am
I think every golfer after he addresses the ball should step back, hold his club with one hand with one eye closed while reaching for his security blanket, err, towel with the other, and then proceed to hit the ball. That is of course, if the wind isn't blowing over the allowed legal limit.

Talking to the ball while in flight should be prohibited.  No more, "Oh come on Jordan!  That's such a moron shot!" as a ball fades toward a fairway bunker.  If a player breaks this rule, he should be subjected to five minutes of non-stop fan verbal abuse, including three guys side-by-side shouting at the top of their lungs, "MASHED POTATOES!", "GET IN THE HOLE!", and "YOU DA MAN!"
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawgndaaz

No more loudmouth

no more plum bobbing

no more saying "that's one" when someone's ball falls off the tee.

RagingHawgOn

Playing partners should be prohibited from farting in my backswing.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 03, 2017, 09:52:39 am
No more loudmouth

no more plum bobbing

no more saying "that's one" when someone's ball falls off the tee.

Wait, I came up with that last one, I'm pretty sure I trademarked® it.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 03, 2017, 08:19:19 am
Talking to the ball while in flight should be prohibited.  No more, "Oh come on Jordan!  That's such a moron shot!" as a ball fades toward a fairway bunker.  If a player breaks this rule, he should be subjected to five minutes of non-stop fan verbal abuse, including three guys side-by-side shouting at the top of their lungs, "MASHED POTATOES!", "GET IN THE HOLE!", and "YOU DA MAN!"

Yeah, I much prefer Tiger's f^©£, or GD, over that namby pamby shite.....

JoeyCapital

It's like the usga has decided to start using common sense in making rules!

Now make something happen on the OB rule. Just make it a drop nearest point it crossed OB plus a 2 stroke penalty. Or a 1 stroke. Whatever, just change it. Walking (or riding) back to the tee with a group waiting on you sucks. I've had to do that once or twice. Tough to make a smooth swing!
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: golf2day on March 05, 2017, 06:30:46 am

Now make something happen on the OB rule. Just make it a drop nearest point it crossed OB plus a 2 stroke penalty. Or a 1 stroke. Whatever, just change it. Walking (or riding) back to the tee with a group waiting on you sucks. I've had to do that once or twice. Tough to make a smooth swing!

Just do like I do.  Hit a mulligan.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 05, 2017, 08:29:28 am
Just do like I do.  Hit a mulligan.

Over in Scotland they call hitting a mulligan off the tee as hitting three.  :)

Quote from: golf2day on March 05, 2017, 06:30:46 am

Try this. IF you think there is a chance your ball went OB then hit a provisional before you leave the tee box.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 05, 2017, 10:47:37 am

Try this. IF you think there is a chance your ball went OB then hit a provisional before you leave the tee box.
Yeah, I know. The damn ball does weird stuff sometimes, though.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 05, 2017, 10:47:37 am

That the reason I don't play over there.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 12:32:02 pm
That the reason I don't play over there.

I always thought it was because you can't find a kilt in your size.

ricepig

justmakeit2thebcs

I think all balls deemed unplayable should dropped with a one stroke penalty.  Two choices, either on a straight line back to where the proceeding shot was hit or on a straight line away from the hole keeping the flag and the ball in line.  OB, lateral, water, unplayable is don't matter, same rule.   Either you can play it as it lies or you can't.  You got two lines to drop from.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 08, 2017, 01:17:02 pm
I think all balls deemed unplayable should dropped with a one stroke penalty.  Two choices, either on a straight line back to where the proceeding shot was hit or on a straight line away from the hole keeping the flag and the ball in line.  OB, lateral, water, unplayable is don't matter, same rule.   Either you can play it as it lies or you can't.  You got two lines to drop from.

I'm fine with this.