Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greystone Country Club closed...

Started by root_hawg, January 16, 2017, 12:27:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

effective Feb 1, the front course will shut down for golf. 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GolfNut57

Wow......so what's the story this time? Looking for new owners because the current one got in over his head or what? Or is it the  course just didn't get enough play to stay afloat? Either way it is a shame. I can remember when that course was very popular for central AR golfers
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

onebadrubi

Losing too much money what I was told.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 16, 2017, 06:42:10 pm
Losing too much money what I was told.

Said about 95% of country clubs everywhere, that's what the yearly assessment is for.

GolfNut57

well there go the property values of the homes that line the fairways. Hope something good happens that keeps the course around.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

HognitiveDissonance

Wow. That's too bad. I've always loved that course. Tried to get there to play at least once a year.

Makes me wonder how the other course is doing financially.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 16, 2017, 10:31:32 pm
Wow. That's too bad. I've always loved that course. Tried to get there to play at least once a year.

Not sure, but I played Cypress with my son about four months ago on a Saturday morning.  Beautiful weather, course was in nice shape, and it looked as if there were maybe 20 people on the entire course.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawg414

so is it only the front course closing... and cypress staying open?
confused now on who owns what... im assuming it is separate owners for each course. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 17, 2017, 04:29:36 pm
so is it only the front course closing... and cypress staying open?
confused now on who owns what... im assuming it is separate owners for each course.

That is correct. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 16, 2017, 10:31:32 pm

Supposedly Cypress Creek is doing fine financially speaking. At least they seem to do well during the non winter season. The owners have plans of building a new clubhouse including a pool that will be adjacent to the current building that houses the carts and pro shop. The new clubhouse when built will face towards the entry road and the back side of it will have a huge wooden patio/deck that will overlook the practice putting green, the lake and the 18th hole & green. Not sure when they plan to start construction but I am looking forward to seeing it done.

As for the course itself, the last time I played it back in Nov. it was in the best shape I had seen it in since the course reopened. 

Jmo but I think the biggest obstacle to getting people to play Cypress Creek in bigger numbers is its location. The drive to get to it is sort of a pain in da azz since the speed limit is only 25 mph from the time you turn into the Greystone community.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 17, 2017, 05:43:06 pm
Supposedly Cypress Creek is doing fine financially speaking. At least they seem to do well during the non winter season. The owners have plans of building a new clubhouse including a pool that will be adjacent to the current building that houses the carts and pro shop. The new clubhouse when built will face towards the entry road and the back side of it will have a huge wooden patio/deck that will overlook the practice putting green, the lake and the 18th hole & green. Not sure when they plan to start construction but I am looking forward to seeing it done.

As for the course itself, the last time I played it back in Nov. it was in the best shape I had seen it in since the course reopened. 

Jmo but I think the biggest obstacle to getting people to play Cypress Creek in bigger numbers is its location. The drive to get to it is sort of a pain in da azz since the speed limit is only 25 mph from the time you turn into the Greystone community.

If the numbers I saw on the website for Greystone are correct, they weren't charging enough. I guess that's a double edged sword, as it wasn't attracting enough members to pay that.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 06:10:33 pm
If the numbers I saw on the website for Greystone are correct, they weren't charging enough. I guess that's a double edged sword, as it wasn't attracting enough members to pay that.

The last couple times I played the Mountain Springs course the greens fees were only $25. That was the cost even in the summer time. Not sure why it was that cheap because I think they could have gotten away with charging $35-40. Especially on weekends. But even the extra $10-15 dollars a head might not have made that much difference if they didn't get enough play on the course. But as you say, it is surprising that the lower cost didn't attract more golfers. No idea what the current cost of memberships is but when I was a member there from 1998-2005 I paid $210. per month that covered unlimited golf and range balls on both courses when they were owned by the same guy.

HognitiveDissonance

Really like the Greystone community. Very pretty area.
But I know they've  had their problems. Just like a lot of golf courses lately.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 17, 2017, 11:04:02 pm
Really like the Greystone community. Very pretty area.
But I know they've  had their problems. Just like a lot of golf courses lately.

Put that course in Lonoke and away from Cowbutt and it becomes the next Chenal.    ;)

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 17, 2017, 06:54:48 pm
The last couple times I played the Mountain Springs course the greens fees were only $25. That was the cost even in the summer time. Not sure why it was that cheap because I think they could have gotten away with charging $35-40. Especially on weekends. But even the extra $10-15 dollars a head might not have made that much difference if they didn't get enough play on the course. But as you say, it is surprising that the lower cost didn't attract more golfers. No idea what the current cost of memberships is but when I was a member there from 1998-2005 I paid $210. per month that covered unlimited golf and range balls on both courses when they were owned by the same guy.
It was a little cheaper than that recently. I was paying about 180/mth for a family deal with range balls.

The current owner wants to sell, so now the bsd's are scrambling to raise some scratch.

I did hear that Glenn Day is trying to start a course management company and greystone is a distinct possibility for his first course. His brother in law was the pro at both greystone courses forever, so he has played it a ton and likes the layout or something.

Who knows.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Jackrabbit Hog

I was a member from about 2000-2003 (before I moved to Memphis) and it was a super sweet deal back then.  Forget what I paid but it was very reasonable and included unlimited play on both courses, plus range balls.  But even then, 15 years ago, there were always whispers about financial trouble and courses closing.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 07:13:19 am
I was a member from about 2000-2003 (before I moved to Memphis) and it was a super sweet deal back then.  Forget what I paid but it was very reasonable and included unlimited play on both courses, plus range balls.  But even then, 15 years ago, there were always whispers about financial trouble and courses closing.

I've been the member of three different clubs, and I'm currently a member at 2, there is always "talk" of trouble. The courses built as a "residential" development always seem to be the ones struggling.

majestic

I just checked to see what Paradise Valley is charging as I'm thinking about picking the game back up this spring. $225/month seems pretty steep for that track.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

GolfNut57

Quote from: golf2day on January 18, 2017, 06:33:29 am
It was a little cheaper than that recently. I was paying about 180/mth for a family deal with range balls.

The current owner wants to sell, so now the bsd's are scrambling to raise some scratch.

I did hear that Glenn Day is trying to start a course management company and greystone is a distinct possibility for his first course. His brother in law was the pro at both greystone courses forever, so he has played it a ton and likes the layout or something.

Who knows.

Well the $180 now is only for the one course instead of two courses. And the family deal is all they ever offered I believe. Don't think they had a rate for just a single.

Glen Day's brother in law would be Dustin Ralston, who had a tendency to be a elitist prick at times. And of course he is the adopted brother of Steve and Joe Ralston who ran Burns Park GC and the small 9 hole course up at Ft Roots.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 06:30:20 am
Put that course in Lonoke and away from Cowbutt and it becomes the next Chenal.    ;)

Put it in Lonoke and you lose the elevation changes from tee to green.  ;)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 18, 2017, 11:34:26 am
Put it in Lonoke and you lose the elevation changes from tee to green.  ;)

Ever heard of rice levees and interstate overpasses?  We'd make due.  We're a resourceful bunch.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 12:11:32 pm
Ever heard of rice levees and interstate overpasses?  We'd make due.  We're a resourceful bunch.

Didn't that one course they tried in Lonoke, Mallard Pointe I think it was, go under after just a year or two?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 18, 2017, 12:19:33 pm
Didn't that one course they tried in Lonoke, Mallard Pointe I think it was, go under after just a year or two?

It lasted a little longer than that.  More like 7 or 8 years, but yeah, it predictably went under.  It wasn't really a bad track; could have grown into a decent course but there was infighting among the owner and management, no money got put into improvements, and it just went downhill quickly.  The owner, who I'd known since I was a kid, was a certified idiot.

Lonoke really didn't need a course.  For years and years Rolling Hills CC, between Lonoke and Cabot, was the course of choice for almost all Lonoke golfers.  Guys like Randy and Stan Beaver, Johnny White (who had moved to Cabot by then) made Rolling Hills a really nice course.  I haven't been there in years (since Randy passed away), so I have no idea what it's like now.

GolfNut57

I played the Lonoke course one time on a small informal company outing where several of us just got together to play in a small scramble event. The course was ok I thought but nothing special. Like Stonelinks it was pretty flat terrain. Never have played Rolling Hills although I have gone by to take a look at it once several years ago.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 12:37:47 pm
It lasted a little longer than that.  More like 7 or 8 years, but yeah, it predictably went under.  It wasn't really a bad track; could have grown into a decent course but there was infighting among the owner and management, no money got put into improvements, and it just went downhill quickly.  The owner, who I'd known since I was a kid, was a certified idiot.

Lonoke really didn't need a course.  For years and years Rolling Hills CC, between Lonoke and Cabot, was the course of choice for almost all Lonoke golfers.  Guys like Randy and Stan Beaver, Johnny White (who had moved to Cabot by then) made Rolling Hills a really nice course.  I haven't been there in years (since Randy passed away), so I have no idea what it's like now.

Rolling hills is nice, small old style greens though. And I hate that damn hole with a HUGE tree in the middle of the fairway about 200 out of memory serves me
Correctly.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 18, 2017, 10:18:07 pm
Rolling hills is nice, small old style greens though. And I hate that damn hole with a HUGE tree in the middle of the fairway about 200 out of memory serves me
Correctly.

Back in the '70s, when Rolling Hills was just a 9 hole course, that was no. 5.  A fairly straight par 4 and yes, a huge tree smack dab in the middle of the fairway (and it was more like 225 out).  I loved that hole and that tree because it gave me something to aim at and the absolute certain knowledge that I would never hit it, because back then I never hit what I was aiming at.  (Still don't, really...)

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 18, 2017, 11:33:41 am
Well the $180 now is only for the one course instead of two courses. And the family deal is all they ever offered I believe. Don't think they had a rate for just a single.

Glen Day's brother in law would be Dustin Ralston, who had a tendency to be a elitist prick at times. And of course he is the adopted brother of Steve and Joe Ralston who ran Burns Park GC and the small 9 hole course up at Ft Roots.
I wasn't speaking to the relative value between the two memberships. Just the facts, ma'am.

Also, Dustin is Bob's son. Steve and Joe are his uncles, fwiw. That guy is about as far away from an elitist prick as it gets. He'd give you the shirt off his back.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

waphill

I was the Asst Superintendent there from 2003 through 2005. I have some great memories from those days. I knew it was going to be in trouble when the owner had to retire from practicing medicine. Can't remember his name now. He no longer had the money to keep it afloat. The guys who bought it from him were developing the surrounding neighborhoods, and didn't know a thing about golf. That was when I left.

Always thought Dustin was a pretty good guy, but I can see if you didn't know him how he could come off as elitist.

GolfNut57

Quote from: waphill on January 24, 2017, 05:10:46 pm
I was the Asst Superintendent there from 2003 through 2005. I have some great memories from those days. I knew it was going to be in trouble when the owner had to retire from practicing medicine. Can't remember his name now. He no longer had the money to keep it afloat. The guys who bought it from him were developing the surrounding neighborhoods, and didn't know a thing about golf. That was when I left.

Always thought Dustin was a pretty good guy, but I can see if you didn't know him how he could come off as elitist.

The previous owners name was Dr. Dickson. And I always thought it kind of funny that there is a Dickson, TN with a course named Greystone Golf Club there.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 24, 2017, 09:23:25 pm
The previous owners name was Dr. Dickson. And I always thought it kind of funny that there is a Dickson, TN with a course named Greystone Golf Club there.

Truthfully, most of the time, Dr's and such should leave the developing to the guys who do it for a living.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 10:11:11 am
Truthfully, most of the time, Dr's and such should leave the developing to the guys who do it for a living.

I don't want Carl Spackler taking out my gall bladder, and I don't want Dr. Beeper designing my back nine.

McKdaddy

ALL of my clients that are doctors have their hands into side projects or investments that they have no idea how to efficiently run.  It's their own disease.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 10:29:47 am
I don't want Carl Spackler taking out my gall bladder, and I don't want Dr. Beeper designing my back nine.

I remember when a group of dentists bought the hill farm for Ridgepointe at an auction. They had a good idea, but lacked the expertise and money to design it correctly, even after hiring a golf architect. The had to beg my cousins to sell them another 80 acres to finish out the second 9 holes.

root_hawg

Current owner is talking commercial development and/or condo development on it.  Restaurant will stay open as a private club for $50.  Don't see anyone buying it only about a third of the membership comes from the Greystone community, the rest are outside of it.  Hate the back course, it is SOO freaking wide open that you really can't get into trouble just grab driver and swing as hard as you want.  Greens are nice though.

GolfNut57

Quote from: root_hawg on January 27, 2017, 12:17:07 pm
Current owner is talking commercial development and/or condo development on it.  Restaurant will stay open as a private club for $50.  Don't see anyone buying it only about a third of the membership comes from the Greystone community, the rest are outside of it.  Hate the back course, it is SOO freaking wide open that you really can't get into trouble just grab driver and swing as hard as you want.  Greens are nice though.

Read an article in the Jacksonville Leader newspaper about the closing. It stated that the Greystone residents may get the option "buy the green spaces" aka fairways, in order to prevent any development being done on them. As for the clubhouse the article said that it, and the two practice putting greens, driving range and tennis courts would also stay open as part of a "Social" club. No details were given though on what would happen to the swimming pool.

You think Cypress Creek is too easy? Easy to make it a harder course. Just tee off every hole with your sand wedge.  ;)

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 25, 2017, 10:32:15 am
ALL of my clients that are doctors have their hands into side projects or investments that they have no idea how to efficiently run.  It's their own disease.
Which is exactly why so many pro athletes go bankrupt.
They have all this money, suddenly, and think 'I HAVE to do something with it'. No, actually, you would do well just to park it in the bank and live off it the rest of your life.
Of course, having a jillion people in your ear all the time contributes to that. It takes a strong person to say 'no' that often.

Arky

damn right

Arky

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 12:37:47 pm

jack...rolling is nicer than ever...I miss randy...mitch is a good friend of mine

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Arky on January 27, 2017, 10:54:08 pm
jack...rolling is nicer than ever...I miss randy...mitch is a good friend of mine

Randy was my cousin.  I grew up playing golf at Rolling Hills with Stan, Clark King, Rocky Mantooth and others.  Fun times, and Randy was as fine a person as God ever put on this earth.

Arky

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 28, 2017, 07:24:59 am
Randy was my cousin.  I grew up playing golf at Rolling Hills with Stan, Clark King, Rocky Mantooth and others.  Fun times, and Randy was as fine a person as God ever put on this earth.
Clark & I used to travel together to play in ASGA events. He would win the tourney occasionally.....I wouldn't

GolfNut57

So is anyone here in the local area going to try to get in one last round on the course before it shuts down Wednesday? Weather is supposed to be fairly nice the next few days.

Arky

GolfNut57

High of 64 Monday and 69 Tues, both sunny days is too cold for you? Wed will be 65, which only matters if that is the last day they allow play before shutting it down.

root_hawg

Going to be opened for a couple more weeks; looks as if they may have a new buyer

GolfNut57

That's good........as long as they still do what they gotta do to maintain the course. No sense in letting it turn into a overgrown cow pasture the last couple weeks. I wanted to play it Tues but instead opted to play with a mens group over at the CC of A. Temp ended up 75 and was an absolute gorgeous day for golf.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 06:10:33 pm
Econ 101 will tell you that if you are lacking in sales, you NEVER jack-up the prices. This move may temporarily, very temporarily raise your cash-in, but it won't take long that participation will wane from even the most devoted customers. Oh well, do as they please.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

onebadrubi

Greystone front course had its customer base. They dropped prices a few years ago to try and attract new play.  In the end most likely they ended up just slashing their revenue with out picking up any new customers.

ricepig

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 05, 2017, 03:15:17 pm
Econ 101 will tell you that if you are lacking in sales, you NEVER jack-up the prices. This move may temporarily, very temporarily raise your cash-in, but it won't take long that participation will wane from even the most devoted customers. Oh well, do as they please.

No, the problem is all CC's start out with a set membership initiation fee, then they start giving them away years later. Most people don't like paying $3500-7500 for a membership, and 10 years later they are letting people in for the monthly dues.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 17, 2017, 06:55:59 am
Not sure, but I played Cypress with my son about four months ago on a Saturday morning.  Beautiful weather, course was in nice shape, and it looked as if there were maybe 20 people on the entire course.

That's how Eagle Crest is now. Unless they change something I believe if will be shut down within 10 years.