Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Fasting

Started by hvsupastar, January 01, 2017, 01:52:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hvsupastar

Anyone ever done this as a way to shred fat? I'm thinking about giving the 16/8 method a try.  Fasting for 17 hours and in taking all of my nutrition from noon to 8 pm.  Going to go high protein, low to moderate carbs.

If anyone has done this before can you tell me what approach to take with cardio.  I've always read that HIIT is the best cardio for fat loss, but I also read that the father of IF hated high intensity cardio.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

GolfNut57

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 01, 2017, 01:52:04 pm
Anyone ever done this as a way to shred fat? I'm thinking about giving the 16/8 method a try.  Fasting for
17 hours and in taking all of my nutrition from noon to 8 pm.
  Going to go high protein, low to moderate carbs.

If anyone has done this before can you tell me what approach to take with cardio.  I've always read that HIIT is the best cardio for fat loss, but I also read that the father of IF hated high intensity cardio.

If you fast for 16 hours and then cram in the same amount of food in the following 8 hour period that you would normally eat in a 24 period it is still going to be the same result as if you spaced your meals out through out the day. The body only counts, as so to speak, what you eat within a 24 hour period.

Now as for shedding the weight I have had success with this method. I limit myself to 60 carbs per meal and 3 meals per day max for a total of 180 carbs per 24 hour period. I don't bother counting calories or protein, just the carbs. And I was amazed at how full I could still get just eating 60 carbs at a sitting. I could also eat a breakfast of 90 carbs, skip lunch and then have a supper of up to 90 carbs and still make it work. But the one thing my Dr told me not to do was to only eat once a day and try to stuff myself with the whole 180 carbs. He said that much in such a short time frame would be useless in trying to lose weight.

Now does my method work? You tell me...... Last June I weighed 340 lbs.

My current pic at 270 lbs. A loss of 70 lbs in 6 months

Now obviously I still have a ways to go to reach my goal of 240 lbs or less but I am a lot closer to it now than I was last June.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

daprospecta

I've been doing it for a year and a half. By fasting, you simply take out the possibility of getting more calories in if you keep your meal size reasonable.  I keep my meals the same size I did when I wasn't fasting but I tend to fast 16-18 hours at a time. For instance, the last thing I had to eat was grapes around midnight last night.  I hit the weights and played some basketball about an hour ago and I'm still not hungry.  Your body tells you when you need to eat and if you stay hydrated, you will never mistake hunger for thirst. Another thing is to fill up on the good stuff. Eggs, veggies, low fat cheese if you want, fruits, lean meats, whole wheat pasta/bread etc. You can follow the IIFYM plan but I find myself trying to squeeze in foods I shouldn't on that plan and it doesn't leave me satiated like the whole foods do. I don't count calories, I simply eat mostly whole foods until I'm satisfied.

GolfNut57

Quote from: daprospecta on January 01, 2017, 06:17:25 pm
I've been doing it for a year and a half. By fasting, you simply take out the possibility of getting more calories in if you keep your meal size reasonable.  I keep my meals the same size I did when I wasn't fasting but I tend to fast 16-18 hours at a time. For instance, the last thing I had to eat was grapes around midnight last night.  I hit the weights and played some basketball about an hour ago and I'm still not hungry.  Your body tells you when you need to eat and if you stay hydrated, you will never mistake hunger for thirst. Another thing is to fill up on the good stuff. Eggs, veggies, low fat cheese if you want, fruits, lean meats, whole wheat pasta/bread etc. You can follow the IIFYM plan but I find myself trying to squeeze in foods I shouldn't on that plan and it doesn't leave me satiated like the whole foods do. I don't count calories, I simply eat mostly whole foods until I'm satisfied.

I tend to stay away from the pasta and breads as both of those are rich in carbs and sugar. Especially if the bread is from restaurants made with yeast.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

daprospecta

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 01, 2017, 07:28:44 pm
I tend to stay away from the pasta and breads as both of those are rich in carbs and sugar. Especially if the bread is from restaurants made with yeast.
Yes, but I'm talking about whole wheat bought from the store.  I rarely eat out these days.  If I'm going to eat out, I'm going to enjoy it and not try to eat healthy per se. I do that every day at home.  I don't eat a lot of pasta but whole wheat pasta in moderation isn't bad. I'm more so a fan of having a slice of toast with my eggs and turkey breast.

26.2Hog

hawgon

It works well, and is an even better way of maintaining than losing.  I've found that I can eat pretty much anything I want as long as I get that 12 to 15 hours of no food every day.  I stay in a pretty consistent five pound window.  The only thing that makes me gain weight is lifting weights.

GolfNut57

Quote from: daprospecta on January 01, 2017, 11:09:43 pm
Yes, but I'm talking about whole wheat bought from the store.  I rarely eat out these days.  If I'm going to eat out, I'm going to enjoy it and not try to eat healthy per se. I do that every day at home.  I don't eat a lot of pasta but whole wheat pasta in moderation isn't bad. I'm more so a fan of having a slice of toast with my eggs and turkey breast.

I eat whole wheat bread at home but even one slice of that is 11 carbs. Four slices used in two sandwiches plus the meat pretty much uses up my 60 carb limit for that meal. So more times than not I will eat one sandwich plus a salad with just lettuce and tomato and a vinegarette (raspberry) dressing and call it a meal.

zane

IF has had anecdotal success for quite some time. There has been a good bit of peer reviewed literature published in the last 7 years or so that substantiate various forms of IF.

I was reading the site linked above (Dr Mirkin) and he had a pretty interesting method. Pick 2 days a week and eat no more than 700 calories and eat your normal (whatever that means to you) diet the other 5 days. Obviously this isn't IF in the strictest of forms but a nice modification.

I think this method would work well for me. My days are crazy and I generally never know when or if I'm going to be able to eat lunch. With this, I can pick 2 days and plan my meals- or at least what my meals will be and hit the caloric mark.

Will report back if it's a wild success. :)
RIP LSUfan

clutch

Quote from: zane on January 02, 2017, 05:19:55 pm
IF has had anecdotal success for quite some time. There has been a good bit of peer reviewed literature published in the last 7 years or so that substantiate various forms of IF.

I was reading the site linked above (Dr Mirkin) and he had a pretty interesting method. Pick 2 days a week and eat no more than 700 calories and eat your normal (whatever that means to you) diet the other 5 days. Obviously this isn't IF in the strictest of forms but a nice modification.

I think this method would work well for me. My days are crazy and I generally never know when or if I'm going to be able to eat lunch. With this, I can pick 2 days and plan my meals- or at least what my meals will be and hit the caloric mark.

Will report back if it's a wild success. :)

There's quite a few studies coming out about what you mentioned. I can't link any of them because I heard about them on a podcast, but there are a lot of people that are IF'ing only a couple days a week and having great results. Seems to be pretty popular right now in the fitness world.

Rooka

I have done IF for a while and lost 80lbs with it and a caloric deficit. I always sprinkled in some HIIT in the week, but sometimes it might have been only once a week. I normally would do weight training or bodyweight workouts for 4x per week and steady cardio of treadmill or bike after. That with a high protein diet and calorie counting worked wonders for me. I started at 320 and got down to 234. I fell off the wagon and gained about 20lbs since, but starting again this year I am going for 200 with the same approach and will mix it up if I feel like I need too.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Rooka on January 02, 2017, 05:46:20 pm
I have done IF for a while and lost 80lbs with it and a caloric deficit. I always sprinkled in some HIIT in the week, but sometimes it might have been only once a week. I normally would do weight training or bodyweight workouts for 4x per week and steady cardio of treadmill or bike after. That with a high protein diet and calorie counting worked wonders for me. I started at 320 and got down to 234. I fell off the wagon and gained about 20lbs since, but starting again this year I am going for 200 with the same approach and will mix it up if I feel like I need too.

What is HIIT?

zane

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 02, 2017, 06:43:09 pm
What is HIIT?

High Intensity Interval Training

Short bursts of high intensity cardio followed by slightly longer rest periods. This is done running/biking/treadmill/elliptical/rowing etc

Ex: 30 seconds all out sprinting followed by 60 seconds low intensity jogging as opposed to single steady paced jogging
RIP LSUfan

Ragnar Hogbrok

A few years back, I did a partial-day fast on Sundays where I'd have nothing but water until dinner.  Dinner would be a basic, "clean" meal consisting of baked chicken, sweet potato, salad, and more water.

I had pretty good results, but keep in mind I was around 27 years old and generally athletic.  It would be worth looking into the partial-day fast like I described, if you're interested.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hawgon

I think IF is the best way to truly change the way you think about food.  And it is really easy to do.  Eat dinner by eight, skip breakfast and don't eat lunch until after twelve.  That is sixteen hours right there.  Anyone can do that.

If you get busy and work through lunch, so much the better.

hvsupastar

Quote from: hawgon on January 03, 2017, 09:50:37 am
I think IF is the best way to truly change the way you think about food.  And it is really easy to do.  Eat dinner by eight, skip breakfast and don't eat lunch until after twelve.  That is sixteen hours right there.  Anyone can do that.

If you get busy and work through lunch, so much the better.

Thats kind of what I'm trying here.  Its just kind of weird thinking everyone's whole life we've been told "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and even venturing into the fitness realm "Eat breakfast to boost your metabolism"
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

GolfNut57

Quote from: zane on January 02, 2017, 06:50:41 pm

Short bursts of high intensity cardio followed by slightly longer rest periods. This is done running/biking/treadmill/elliptical/rowing etc

Ex: 30 seconds all out sprinting followed by 60 seconds low intensity jogging as opposed to single steady paced jogging

Or in my case..........30 secs of low intensity jogging followed by 60 secs of a slow walk.  :D

HawgPilot

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 03, 2017, 11:41:14 am
Or in my case..........30 secs of low intensity jogging followed by 60 secs of a slow walk.  :D

Gotta start somewhere.  Btw, congrats on your weight loss.  I know that wasn't easy so give yourself kudos for sticking with it.  I imagine your family is proud too.

hvsupastar

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 03, 2017, 12:30:35 pm
Gotta start somewhere.  Btw, congrats on your weight loss.  I know that wasn't easy so give yourself kudos for sticking with it.  I imagine your family is proud too.

Hell I'm proud and I don't even know the fellow

GolfNut57

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 03, 2017, 12:30:35 pm

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 03, 2017, 03:13:01 pm
Hell I'm proud and I don't even know the fellow

Thanks for the cheers.  8)

GolfNut57

Quote from: zane on January 02, 2017, 06:50:41 pm

So how long do you do that type of training per day? 30 mins? An hour? Thinking I may try adding that onto what I do already to help the weight loss go faster plus building my legs up better.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 03, 2017, 06:01:29 pm

So how long do you do that type of training per day? 30 mins? An hour? Thinking I may try adding that onto what I do already to help the weight loss go faster plus building my legs up better.

HIIT can be done fairly quickly. One of the main benefits of it is that it can be done in about half the time of steady rate cardio type exercises. I wouldn't go any longer than 30 mins. I'd start out at about half of that at best. If you keep the intensity high during the high intensity periods, it doesn't take long to smoke you.

hawgon

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 03, 2017, 10:55:33 am
Thats kind of what I'm trying here.  Its just kind of weird thinking everyone's whole life we've been told "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and even venturing into the fitness realm "Eat breakfast to boost your metabolism"

While there might be something to your metabolism slowing down if you don't eat often enough, I think it is measured in days instead of hours.  If our ancestors were hunter gatherers, how long do you think they went between meals?  Did they eat three squares or even five little meals a day?  As recently as the Middle Ages the standard was two meals with the midday meal being the biggest.  Only laborers ate anything at all for breakfast and that was just beer, bread, and maybe a slice of cheese.

Ragnar Hogbrok

The average American consumes many more calories than they expend. Thus, the obesity epidemic.

Makes guys like me look like Greek gods.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 01, 2017, 05:39:46 pm
If you fast for 16 hours and then cram in the same amount of food in the following 8 hour period that you would normally eat in a 24 period it is still going to be the same result as if you spaced your meals out through out the day. The body only counts, as so to speak, what you eat within a 24 hour period.

Now as for shedding the weight I have had success with this method. I limit myself to 60 carbs per meal and 3 meals per day max for a total of 180 carbs per 24 hour period. I don't bother counting calories or protein, just the carbs. And I was amazed at how full I could still get just eating 60 carbs at a sitting. I could also eat a breakfast of 90 carbs, skip lunch and then have a supper of up to 90 carbs and still make it work. But the one thing my Dr told me not to do was to only eat once a day and try to stuff myself with the whole 180 carbs. He said that much in such a short time frame would be useless in trying to lose weight.

Now obviously I still have a ways to go to reach my goal of 240 lbs or less but I am a lot closer to it now than I was last June.

Had no idea Mike from Breaking Bad posted here! That's pretty cool

hvsupastar

Sunday I stopped my soda pop binge and started IF.  I've always been a heavy lifter, so I'm just keeping my workouts the same, while adding a little bit of cardio.  I'm also sipping on BCAA's throughout the day, mixing it into my jug of water. Consuming at least a gallon of water per day.  Not counting my Macro's to the T, but I'm trying to stay moderate in carbs and high in protein.  The scale already showing a 6 pound difference.  I know a lot of that was getting rid of bloat, but still I'll take it.  The only issue I'm having pretty rough headaches around 7 pm.  I'd imagine that has something to do with no sugar/caffeine from the pops.

daprospecta

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 05, 2017, 07:38:25 am
Sunday I stopped my soda pop binge and started IF.  I've always been a heavy lifter, so I'm just keeping my workouts the same, while adding a little bit of cardio.  I'm also sipping on BCAA's throughout the day, mixing it into my jug of water. Consuming at least a gallon of water per day.  Not counting my Macro's to the T, but I'm trying to stay moderate in carbs and high in protein.  The scale already showing a 6 pound difference.  I know a lot of that was getting rid of bloat, but still I'll take it.  The only issue I'm having pretty rough headaches around 7 pm.  I'd imagine that has something to do with no sugar/caffeine from the pops.
Yep, every once and a while I get those on the weekends since I normally don't drink coffee on those days. Black Coffee isn't bad during a fast. It helps curve your appetite and gives you a bit of giddy up in the morning.

MO.Hog

IF is something I've never thought of.  I'll admit to being ignorant on the subject, but my biggest question is.  If you are able to maintain your calories in either way I would think that eating all day would be best.  My reasoning is that when you eat it kicks your metabolism in.  By eating breakfast, even a little breakfast, kickstarts your metabolism for the day.  If you are eating from noon until 8 each day you don't get that added boost.  The major plus side I see to it would be that it would be much easier to maintain your calories in, because you've got less time in the day to actually eat.  Let me know how it turns out though.  Definately "Food for thought" ;) 

clutch

January 05, 2017, 06:41:50 pm #28 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:33:19 am by clutch
Quote from: MO.Hog on January 05, 2017, 03:27:04 pm
IF is something I've never thought of.  I'll admit to being ignorant on the subject, but my biggest question is.  If you are able to maintain your calories in either way I would think that eating all day would be best.  My reasoning is that when you eat it kicks your metabolism in.  By eating breakfast, even a little breakfast, kickstarts your metabolism for the day.  If you are eating from noon until 8 each day you don't get that added boost.  The major plus side I see to it would be that it would be much easier to maintain your calories in, because you've got less time in the day to actually eat.  Let me know how it turns out though.  Definately "Food for thought" ;) 

It has to do with how your body pulls its energy. If you are eating constantly, your body will pull its energy from the food you recently consumed. If you are fasting, you usually haven't recently consumed any food for the body to pull energy from, so it pulls from your stored fat. At least that's the idea. From most accounts, it seems to be pretty accurate.

Fasting also increases your insulin sensitivity in your body. 

Basically, fasting is supposed to teach your body to use fat stores for energy so that your body can use the food for other purposes.

hawgon

There are serious possible health benefits to fasting as well.  Scientist have long known that mice who are seriously calorie restricted, to the point of more or less being in a continual fast, live up to 25 percent longer than those who eat normally.  There is some research that suggest the benefits of this sort of fasting can be had without starving oneself but by merely intermittent fasting.

hvsupastar

For me after 1 week of IF, which for me is basically skipping breakfast, eating lunch at 12 and dinner 7 with a snack or a protein in between, results have been good on the scale.  Went from 245.8 to 237.8, weigh ins on Sunday.  Only drinking water and BCAA's.  Strength is good, still give stronger and muscles seem full.   Going to stick with this. 

As far as diet goes, I'm not dieting really.  Just make a few healthier choices here and there, trying to eat a lot of protein.  Not counting calories or macros but I just have a rough idea that I'm staying under 2000 calories and eating at least 150g of protein.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NEA_HogFan

I haven't been trying to IF but I've been working 3rd shift for the past few weeks 10pm to 7am. I don't get hungry late at night/early in the morning so basically all the calories I'm getting are from about 4 pm-10pm and I have noticed a difference in my body.

DeltaBoy

It works if you have the discipline to do it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

GolfNut57

Well as of yesterday afternoon I reached my goal as to losing the 100 lbs.

hawgon

Intermittent fasting is the easiest way to cut calories. 

hvsupastar

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 09, 2017, 09:47:23 am
Well as of yesterday afternoon I reached my goal as to losing the 100 lbs.

Congrats!  I know you feel a lot better. 

MAGA45

Started IF about 3 weeks ago, really like it so far.  After 3/4 days, I felt fully adjusted and feel more energy on just black coffee and water.  Started at 270, down to 258, so my body has fat to use as fuel when I'm fasting.  Swimming laps early in the morning in a fasted state.  Did some reading where fasted cardio can add results to IF.  Also, not sticking to strict diet plan, rather being more conscious of what I eat.  Will eat more carbs in my first meal around 1-1:30 and try to keep dinner low on carbs and more protein.
Fake News

HF#1

This makes no sense to me and I have a hard time believing you aren't pre-diabetic.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

DeltaBoy

Not everyone who overweight develops Pre diabetics.  I get checked 2 times a year and no issues.

I starting drinking water and stop eating anything from 5:30pm to 6:30 at when I have a Protein Shake and Black Coffee.  From 255 to 245 in 2 1/2 weeks.

Dr. Starcs

Is it possible to bulk doing IF ?

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 09, 2019, 01:45:07 pm
Is it possible to bulk doing IF ?

Yes. This is where you want to increase eating carbs. Eat white rice, potatos...etc.
I'm diabetic and when I fast my glucose level is nearly perfect. My only issue is the change it does to my digestive system. It's not quite as bad, but very close to a colonoscopy prep. Increase in dairy and problem solved.

porque

February 27, 2020, 11:41:59 am #42 Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:52:01 am by porque
There are new studies that have come out recently that say that IF is healthier way to live.  it causes good chemical changes in the body.  I think the study or article that I read was from Johns Hopkins.

I actually love IF.  I haven't had breakfast in 2 years other than an occasional weekend morning when the woman talks me into it.  My biggest problem is I like to have a couple of beers at night while watching TV.

daprospecta

Quote from: porque on February 27, 2020, 11:41:59 am
There are new studies that have come out recently that say that IF is healthier way to live.  it causes good chemical changes in the body.  I think the study or article that I read was from Johns Hopkins.

I actually love IF.  I haven't had breakfast in 2 years other than an occasional weekend morning when the woman talks me into it.  My biggest problem is I like to have a couple of beers at night while watching TV.
I usually fast around 18-20 hours a day and workout at the tail end of it.  The benefits of fasting just makes sense. When we sleep, we are not eating or drinking.  The body can use all its resources towards recovery while sleeping. When you wake, some of that is still going on and when you eat, it basically comes to a halt as the body has to dedicate resources to processing food.  Also, food causes insulin spikes which is known to zap hgh production. Long story short, fasting is good.