Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whole Hog

Started by HoGustav, November 23, 2016, 10:18:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoGustav

I shot a nice 30lb eating size hog last week.
The family wants me to cook it for dinner tomorrow.
Any recommendations on the best way to smoke this piggy ?
I have a large pit with a side firebox. Using Liveoak.
Time, Temp, Seasoning, etc...

JoeyCapital

Don't know, but post some pics of the process, if you don't mind. I'm intrigued.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

HoGustav

golf, sorry no pictures, but it turned out great.
I ended up inserting garlic cloves, onion slices and sprigs of rosemary in the larger muscles.
in a bowl I combined a large bottle of yellow mustard, 3/4 cup of Tony's, 1/2 cup black pepper and 1 cup of Steen's Cain syrup. Rubbed the whole hog down with the stuff 24 hrs before smoking.
Started smoking over indirect heat from Live Oak coals (not as strong as Hickory or Mesquite).
Kept the temp between 225 & 250 for 9 hours & the meat covered. Turning & flipping every hour . Also put in a pan of cooking fluid (beer) for moisture. 

snoblind

Now I know why Miss Avery wanted Opa to take her hunting this past weekend. 

onebadrubi

I've always wanted to do the underground way.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 30, 2016, 07:49:14 pm

I seen it done when I was a boy but never done it myself.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 30, 2016, 07:49:14 pm

Gotta do the hole right and pack it with the proper amount unit of embers/coals. Best to get a good thermometer with a long cable to keep track of the internal temperature. Have seen too many pulled out too early.
This is my non-signature signature.

woodrow hog call

Yeah we pulled one out that had not had enough coals in around it, bad smell like real warm ruined meat. Don't remember what we ate that night but it wasn't hog and I wasn't hungry anyway.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"