Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good article about Connor Vanover

Started by Karma, November 16, 2016, 02:41:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I would be very surprised if he ever played for Arkansas.

Pig in the Pokey

can't believe they make him rid beech seat lol. I am rooting for the kid. If he actually can put on the 30-50 lbs he needs, he could be a weapon. That shot is deadly. Can't contest it. But, he is way to weak and slow at this point. Of course, he's only 15.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jackflash

I think he has a great shot at Arkansas we recruited worse

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jackflash on November 23, 2016, 12:41:27 pm
I think he has a great shot at Arkansas we recruited worse

unless his foot speed increases dramatically, it would be a bad fit for both parties.

Filthy_McSwine

Great kid, but he won't be going to Arkansas.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2016, 03:16:41 pm
I would be very surprised if he ever played for Arkansas.
something tells me that he will go to Ole Miss and in a game in BWA, will score 25 pts and get 20 rebounds and 11 blocks and stick it to the Hogs.  Then in his next game, he will go back to his 6 pt, 3 rebound, 2 blocks per game averages.  LOL

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 12:49:52 pm
unless his foot speed increases dramatically, it would be a bad fit for both parties.
For once, we might agree on something.

His mom was a Hog, and I've seen him at football games. I know he's a fan. I hope the Hogs offer him, because you can't teach size. But something tells me as much as I hate to say it about an instate kid, he may be a better fit somewhere else.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 23, 2016, 12:13:17 pm
something tells me that he will go to Ole Miss and in a game in BWA, will score 25 pts and get 20 rebounds and 11 blocks and stick it to the Hogs.  Then in his next game, he will go back to his 6 pt, 3 rebound, 2 blocks per game averages.  LOL
Also agree with this 100%, which is why I hope the Hogs recruit him anyway.
He will have moments of domination somewhere, somehow, with that kind of size. And he really has some nice skills. I just hope it's not at Ole Miss or another SEC school.

As athletic and agile as Moses Kingsley is, he still sometimes seems like a duck out of water, at least this year with all these wings/guards jacking up shots. It's hard to envision a guy like Vanover getting much love in this offense.

PintailKiller

Has a stress fracture in his foot.  Has not played in a couple of weeks.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

The_Iceman

https://youtu.be/NFQnmAAkoVA

Surely he can be a backup 5 for us, if we can't find someone else.

Razorod

From what I can tell, we're not on anyone any better.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

RaisinHog

GuvHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 26, 2016, 09:50:19 pm
Also agree with this 100%, which is why I hope the Hogs recruit him anyway.
He will have moments of domination somewhere, somehow, with that kind of size. And he really has some nice skills. I just hope it's not at Ole Miss or another SEC school.

As athletic and agile as Moses Kingsley is, he still sometimes seems like a duck out of water, at least this year with all these wings/guards jacking up shots. It's hard to envision a guy like Vanover getting much love in this offense.

He still has a couple of years of High School and summer ball left so who knows?? By the end of his Senior year in HS he could turn out to be a muscled up basketball playing monster on the court.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

draftkings33

Build your system around your players!  If we had this guy and Gafford along with all these other long players you would be a fool to not go to more of a halfcourt game.  7-3 and 6-11 on defense at the same time?  I'll take it

jackflash

I think he can play at Arkansas. He can shoot which is a plus. He will put on some weight. as far as defense we are playing real good half court defense now.

1highhog

After reading that article if his parents ever knew he was thinking he wanted to have a career in basketball they should have got him on a good eating regimen and impressed on him how important that was going to be in his development as a player.  Now at the age he is, it's really to late because if he only weighs 230 that means he needs to put on another 50-60 pounds of muscle on in a year which is not going to happen.  He'd also need to work on footwork and his speed and he doesn't have neither.  If Arkansas took him he wouldn't help us until perhaps his junior or perhaps his senior year,  just don't think he's worth it.

NWAHog479

I saw him play this season and he can barely run up and down the court. Seems like a great kid I just feel bad for him because it looks like knee/ankle injuries are just bound to happen being that tall. I DO think it's hilarious that he thinks he is being "recruited" to play at Kansas. Bill Self is doing the right thing and letting him take visits, but he would only be able to walk-on at a school like that.

Kevin McPherson

GuvHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on January 19, 2017, 11:13:20 am
I saw him play this season and he can barely run up and down the court. Seems like a great kid I just feel bad for him because it looks like knee/ankle injuries are just bound to happen being that tall. I DO think it's hilarious that he thinks he is being "recruited" to play at Kansas. Bill Self is doing the right thing and letting him take visits, but he would only be able to walk-on at a school like that.

You never know. I remember a guy who was 7'6" and weighed about the same as Conner who was a 3 year starter at BYU and actually played in the NBA a few years.

songofthesword

Hes never going to be shaq and that much weight is what causes joint problems. If we cant bring in a high level four i wsbt

Hog Fan from Camden

I just noticed that I worked with Connor's father, Chris about 11 years ago at the old ALLTEL phone company!  He was one of our IT managers.  Very smart guy but not a people person!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 23, 2017, 10:19:38 am
You never know. I remember a guy who was 7'6" and weighed about the same as Conner who was a 3 year starter at BYU and actually played in the NBA a few years.

No you don't remember that because that guy doesn't exist.

Shawn Bradley only played one year of collegiate ball. He was also so much more athletic than Vanover it isn't right to try and compare them.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 24, 2017, 01:28:06 pm
No you don't remember that because that guy doesn't exist.

Shawn Bradley only played one year of collegiate ball. He was also so much more athletic than Vanover it isn't right to try and compare them.

Bradley also played a few years of NBA Basketball too.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2017, 01:44:47 pm

So did Manute Bol but I hope we never see someone like him on our roster.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2017, 01:44:47 pm

Shawn Bradley gets a lot of flack for being a bust-y type player, but he was pretty solid over his 832 NBA games. Career averages of 8.1 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks. Decent FT shooter for a player that big, too, at 71.6%.

But he was drafted before Penny Hardaway and Jamal Mashburn. If he's the #10 overall pick, people don't consider him nearly as much of a joke. However, players like him are clearly obsolete in today's game. There aren't any in the NBA right now and might not ever be again.

nwahogfan1

January 25, 2017, 06:35:13 am #27 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:52:24 pm by nwahogfan1
Conner can shoot the ball. Has an excellent 3 point shot. But unfortunately he is not very aggressive at rebounding or playing defense.  I could see his stock increasing in college because of his shooting which would bring the other teams big out of the lane creating driving lanes.  Redshirt him which Mike would never do and put 30 lbs of muscle on him. He is a Arkansas boy. What is the risk?

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 25, 2017, 06:35:13 am
Conner can shoot the ball. Has an excellent 3 point shot. I see his stock increasing in college with his shooting bringing the other teams big out of the lane creating driving lanes.  Redshirt him, put 30 lbs on him and get him stronger. He is a Arkansas boy. What is the risk?

He's a low to mid major player.

NWAHog479

He'll be another Hunter Mickelson... Can you imagine all 4 guys across halfcourt and him still at the opponents 3-point line? I'm good on Vanover. Call him "toilet paper" because he's cleaning up the rear.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: NWAHog479 on January 25, 2017, 09:40:44 am
He'll be another Hunter Mickelson... Can you imagine all 4 guys across halfcourt and him still at the opponents 3-point line? I'm good on Vanover. Call him "toilet paper" because he's cleaning up the rear.

He does not play tough but that may be because he is very thin but he does have a great shot from behind the arc.  I have not seen him enough to decide if he could help us but I do like his shooting from the perimeter.  If he could rebound and play tough defense plus shoot from the outside then I would go after him pretty hard.  Just do not know.

hogfooey

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 24, 2017, 04:29:09 pm
Shawn Bradley gets a lot of flack for being a bust-y type player, but he was pretty solid over his 832 NBA games. Career averages of 8.1 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks. Decent FT shooter for a player that big, too, at 71.6%.

But he was drafted before Penny Hardaway and Jamal Mashburn. If he's the #10 overall pick, people don't consider him nearly as much of a joke. However, players like him are clearly obsolete in today's game. There aren't any in the NBA right now and might not ever be again.

Ha, I remember when Manute hit 6 3  pointers in an NBA game.  That was crazy.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

hogfooey

Quote from: hogfooey on January 29, 2017, 05:42:03 pm
It was all in the same half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTGzBLj1xS4
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogfooey on January 29, 2017, 05:42:03 pm
But not as crazy as killing a lion with a spear, which he also did. 

songofthesword

Dr. Starcs

Would hate to see him have to defend point guards, since that's what we have our big men do.

The_Iceman

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: 1highhog on January 06, 2017, 01:30:20 pm
After reading that article if his parents ever knew he was thinking he wanted to have a career in basketball they should have got him on a good eating regimen and impressed on him how important that was going to be in his development as a player.  Now at the age he is, it's really to late because if he only weighs 230 that means he needs to put on another 50-60 pounds of muscle on in a year which is not going to happen.  He'd also need to work on footwork and his speed and he doesn't have neither.  If Arkansas took him he wouldn't help us until perhaps his junior or perhaps his senior year,  just don't think he's worth it.
He needs to add 60 pounds? He's not that thin.

He seems like someone who could be good on a mid major team in the NcaaT some day. He's a non-athletic version of Porzingis, which is a compliment.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 23, 2016, 12:13:17 pm

Why must you bring up such bad memories....lol
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

gmarv

Is he similar to the big kornet kid at Vandy?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: gmarv on February 26, 2017, 08:50:16 am
Similar type game but not as mobile.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ShadowHawg

Quote from: gmarv on February 26, 2017, 08:50:16 am

Not nearly as mobile and not likely to ever be.

Conner is a very hard worker. If he could become more athletic he already would be. Has a great work ethic.

FineAsSwine

He has flown way, way under the radar this year. Almost forgot he was playing. Anybody have a summation of how he has progressed this season? Any weight and/or strength gains? Development of post moves?

The_Iceman

I would have no problem with us adding him as Daniel Gafford's backup, if we can't find someone who fits better.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 27, 2017, 01:26:23 pm
I would have no problem with us adding him as Daniel Gafford's backup, if we can't find someone who fits better.
I totally disagree. His lack of mobility is huge concern and I don't think he will improve in that area very much plus I don't ever see him being good on the defensive end.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 27, 2017, 01:26:23 pm

I wouldn't either. Looking at those videos he runs the floor well and can flat out shoot the rock! That's one of the few times I've ever seen a 7'3" Center nailing 3 pointers.

daprospecta

Quote from: GuvHog on February 27, 2017, 05:02:39 pm
I wouldn't either. Looking at those videos he runs the floor well and can flat out shoot the rock! That's one of the few times I've ever seen a 7'3" Center nailing 3 pointers.
Right. Even if he isn't a force inside, nobody is blocking this kids shot. That is what made Dirk so dangerous. We all know DH's weakest point is his defense and everyone would take him again in a heartbeat. What is different with Connor?

HognitiveDissonance

He's 7'3
Repeat: 7'3

His mom was a Hog. I know he's a fan. I've seen him at football games.
He's a native Arkie.
He has skills.

Oh yea. He's 7'3.
He can protect the rim without even trying.

I think you find a spot for him. He doesn't have to be the #1 recruit, but I think it would be a mistake to not offer him. Someone said we have.
I do have concerns about him trying to run up and down the floor in this system.

But even if he averaged 15 minutes a game in a four-year career, I think he's worth a scholarship, with the size and skills he has.

And the upside potential is much higher than that.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 26, 2017, 09:58:48 pm
Not nearly as mobile and not likely to ever be.

Conner is a very hard worker. If he could become more athletic he already would be. Has a great work ethic.
Man you have a lot of hate for this kid? He has two years to improve so lets recruit him and see how he develops. To say a kid would be an athlete by now is stupid. I have seen amazing improvement in kids from 16-19.. Have worked with kids that blossomed a year after they graduated and when I say blossomed I mean you see them in HS and then you see them playing pickup and they drive the lane and flush the ball right on someone. Your like his parents should have held him back a year. Crazy to say he can't become more athletic. Especially big kids tend to mature late. I say wait and see what our options are.