Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Capri, Amalfi Coast

Started by kodiakisland, September 22, 2016, 10:22:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakisland

Putting a trip together for the wife and I for next spring, Probably the last two weeks of April to avoid much of the tourist season to the Amalfi Coast area.  We will fly into Naples and take a ferry to Capri on arrival.  I am currently thinking 2-3 nights on Capri and then to either Positano or Serrento for several nights, then several nights in Amalfi.  I would like to spend a day in Paestum and Pompeii and Vesuvius.  Probably 12 days total for the region.

We've been to Italy several times and will just be focusing on the Amalfi coast region.  For those who have been, what were your thoughts on days spent where?  I don't want to spend too many days in one spot or not enough in another.  Mostly interested in the culture and restaurants.  Not so much in the night life.

And yes, the wife and I are in good shape and up for the steep walking.  Also, having lived in Europe before, we do expect things to be different there than here.  Just trying to get a feel for how many days to spend where.
Thanks!
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ThinPiggy

I visited the Amalfi Coast and Capri a couple of years ago. You can take the ferry to Capri but I took the hydrofoil out of Naples which is faster and more fun. I can't remember the hotel I stayed at on Capri, but I do remember walking down to the Hotel Luna, locals call it the best place to stay on Capri and I would have to agree with them. If you want to do something unique, you can do what I did and walk down the Phoenician Steps from Anacapri which gives spectacular views of the island. You can follow the steps all the way back into town. I remember when I was there I saw the Romney's at the Kiton store in downtown Capri. This was right after the election.

I visited Positano which is really great. This is where you can see a lot of the culture of Italy. I didn't stay that long in Sorrento. Pompei is a must see. Very cool place. My trip was covering a lot of Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice, etc.,) so I only spent two days in Capri and one day for seeing the Amalfi coast (Sorrento and Positano). My trip was about seeing the sites, but other people go to relax and stay more days in one place. It really depends on what you want. Good luck.

kodiakisland

Thanks for the info.  We've been to Italy several times, so this is more of a sleep late, drink coffee on the veranda, and enjoy the view type of trip.

We've decided to fly into Naples and take the ferry to Capri.  Stay there 3 nights.  From there take the ferry to Positano and stay there 5 nights.  While there we will visit the highlights of the Amalfi Coast and hike some of the high trails.  We will also do a day trip to Paestum from there.  Then we will spend 3 nights in Sorrento and visit Pompeii.  Then one night in Naples before flying back home.

I'm sure there will be some things that we won't see, but we are going more to relax and not check off a list of places.  We certainly do those type trips, but I'm hoping this is a slow paced vacation.  I just want to enjoy the beauty of the land, eat great food, and drink cheap Italian wine.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

sowmonella

Ah Cheap Italian wine.  Cane Pazzo XX XX      8)
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003