Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 01:33:07 pm

PC issues

Started by RebelliousHog, August 21, 2016, 08:11:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelliousHog

Got some issues with my PC that maybe some of you gurus can help me with.

A.  My PC will go into "not responding " mode. Several times in a session. Not related to internet. Happens with programs too.

B.  Cursor will lock up. As in will not move. Random and after a few seconds starts working.

Have been told to blow out the PC cause its getting too hot. I have an external fan and DID blow it out. Not sure how effective that was cause it is a laptop with an enclosed case that, frankly, I am leery of opening for fear of a major FUBAR.

Any thoughts?

It is a Toshiba Laptop around 4 years old. 4GB RAM. I updated the video driver but then no videos would work. All I got was a green screen. I back dated and retrieved the driver I had and vids work fine now.

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Doug

There's three fans in most systems (or more).

One fan directly on the CPU (Mother board). Make SURE the system is powered down and unplugged. Blow the air towards the TOP of the fan, working your way counter-clockwise.

Second fan is the power supply unit. Blow in every possible crevice you can.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hogs run wild

something is locking your computer up, it's either: virus or a hardware issue (such as your cpu and or memory being too slow). i would suggest you back everything up right now. you can do a virus scan, add more memory, and try cleaning out some memory space (such as deleting old software, programs, temp files, etc.) also, you can try turning off programs that run in the backgroud. that might be eating up your processing power. next, you can do a restore to factory setting to see if that might help. lastly, if you've had your computer for a few years, it could be trying to die on you. hard drives and cpus weren't meant to last forever. hope this helps.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.