Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kettle Pizza

Started by Grizzlyfan, August 10, 2016, 09:58:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

I know a lot of you guys are BGE fans and probably cook pizza on them, but I'm not ready to drop that kind of money for one.  YouTube videos show super high temps obtained via the KettlePizza contraption with a Weber kettle grill.   And I see some homemade versions as well.  Anyone have any experience with the original version or a homemade version?

PorkRinds

Honestly I think if you get a pizza stone and can get your grill up to about 450 you'll be just fine. I never cook my pizzas at as high a temp as others do. 450-500 is the sweet spot on my primo, so I feel like you could do it easily. Test it out with a frozen pizza or two before you try your own.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 10, 2016, 10:25:47 am
Honestly I think if you get a pizza stone and can get your grill up to about 450 you'll be just fine. I never cook my pizzas at as high a temp as others do. 450-500 is the sweet spot on my primo, so I feel like you could do it easily. Test it out with a frozen pizza or two before you try your own.

I agree with this. I'm just not into the 600-700 degree pizza cooks. I seem to do better around 500 degrees or even less for thicker dough. A good pizza stone is probably the most important. The thing with cooking at a lower temp is giving the stone a good long time to heat up.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Wildhog

Go getcha an Akorn.  Thank me later.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Eh. Save the money and get an egg. Then you'll thank me later. :)

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 10, 2016, 12:45:39 pm
Eh. Save the money and get an egg. Then you'll thank me later. :)

Or just buy five Akerns.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

I done a couple 450-500 with a Pizza Stone works great on my Weber and I use Kingsford and soaked Pecan chunks.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

I wouldn't use any wood for the pizza. You just want to use lump and wait til you don't see any smoke at all. Smoke on pizza isn't good.  I learned that lesson the hard way. Lol.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

The OTR

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 11, 2016, 12:07:55 pm
I wouldn't use any wood for the pizza. You just want to use lump and wait til you don't see any smoke at all. Smoke on pizza isn't good.  I learned that lesson the hard way. Lol.

I understand I over smoked one but it was still ok.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 22, 2016, 10:07:11 am
I understand I over smoked one but it was still ok.
If you've got your oven up to 650 or 700 degrees the pizza will cook in just a few minutes.  That shouldn't absorb too much smoke should it?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 22, 2016, 02:47:48 pm
If you've got your oven up to 650 or 700 degrees the pizza will cook in just a few minutes.  That shouldn't absorb too much smoke should it?

I cooked one with some Kingsford and pecan wood but I did not have the vents open enough so I had to grill it 15 minutes to get the crust done and the smoke turned the top kind of dark.  Your correct when I get that Weber hopping the pizza's cook in 5 -7 minutes max.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 22, 2016, 02:47:48 pm

You'd be surprised.  As long as the smoke is running clear you should be fine, but again, I prefer to do the pizzas a little closer to 450-500.  They usually take about 10 minutes depending on the amount of toppings.  But if you add wood chips and smoke a pizza, it'll add smoke flavor.  And I'm not wild about that smoke flavor on my pizza.  Otherwise, my pizzas basically taste like they were cooked in a wood fired oven.  Fantastic.

jacobp

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 10, 2016, 09:58:37 am
I know a lot of you guys are BGE fans and probably cook pizza on them, but I'm not ready to drop that kind of money for one.  YouTube videos show super high temps obtained via the KettlePizza contraption with a Weber kettle grill.   And I see some homemade versions as well.  Anyone have any experience with the original version or a homemade version?
To actually answer your question, I have the kettle pizza deluxe and it works really well. You can make good pizza on a weber kettle without it, but this definitely makes it easier. Plus it's cool. I use it as an outdoor oven as well, now that I have the summit charcoal as my main grilling rig

DeltaBoy

I use the Pizza Stone and it been fine.