Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Star Game

Started by jrulz83, July 12, 2016, 06:00:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jrulz83

Does anybody care? I know I don't. It's made fairly pointless by Interleague play if you ask me. In my opinion home field advantage in the WS should be determined by how a League (or maybe individual team) performs in Interleague play rather than one dog and pony show of a game.

I'm not as closed minded about the AS Game as it may sound in what I wrote above. It's a grand tradition in a game built on tradition, so I can appreciate that aspect of it. If you do care about it please share why you do, maybe I can warm up to actually watching it one day. 
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

clutch

I care about it less than any regular season game. However, I do still think it is by far the best All-Star game in professional sports.

Dr. Starcs

Just a popularity contest between a bunch of cubs and Red Sox.

No thanks.

jrulz83

I think I'd like to see a page stolen from the NHL and bring a skills competition to the AS Game festivities.

The HR Derby is awful, most boring thing I've ever seen.

Currently the most interesting thing to me about the AS Game is the Celebrity Softball Game.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 12, 2016, 06:45:01 pm
Just a popularity contest between a bunch of cubs and Red Sox.

No thanks.

hater  >:(
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 12, 2016, 09:09:45 pm
I think I'd like to see a page stolen from the NHL and bring a skills competition to the AS Game festivities.

The HR Derby is awful, most boring thing I've ever seen.

Currently the most interesting thing to me about the AS Game is the Celebrity Softball Game.

They have ruined the HR Derby. It used to be so much better. It's WAY too long now.

Porked Tongue

San Diego hosted but the NL was the visiting team.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on July 12, 2016, 10:21:28 pm
They have ruined the HR Derby. It used to be so much better. It's WAY too long now.

I wish they'd bring back the old school HR Derby format, the original one from the late 1950's, early 1960's. I still watch it from time to time:

jrulz83

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 12, 2016, 10:38:10 pm

I happened to flip over to it, as soon as I recognized that I said, "I'm done."

clutch

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 12, 2016, 10:38:10 pm

How did that happen? I wasn't home so didn't watch. Does it base off of the past years winner or something?

Dr. Starcs

Something about the padres being affiliated with Mexico.

(Just a joke, in light of all the political controversy).

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 12, 2016, 11:02:10 pm
I wish they'd bring back the old school HR Derby format, the original one from the late 1950's, early 1960's. I still watch it from time to time:

i agree.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on July 13, 2016, 03:56:10 pm
How did that happen? I wasn't home so didn't watch. Does it base off of the past years winner or something?

What I've read is, and I'm not sure that it's true, it is because the AS Game is to be held in a NL ballpark for the next four years.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 13, 2016, 04:38:49 pm
What I've read is, and I'm not sure that it's true, it is because the AS Game is to be held in a NL ballpark for the next four years.

Sounds like a scheduling screw up there. Just rotate NL/AL every year.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on July 13, 2016, 05:26:01 pm
Sounds like a scheduling screw up there. Just rotate NL/AL every year.

I'm guessing it's a new ballpark that hasn't had an AS Game yet thing, but one league having several in a row seems like something pretty easy to not have happen.