Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today shall be leg day

Started by Buff, May 01, 2016, 09:45:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Buff

I have been grounded for 2 weeks with tightness and soreness in my calf.  Yesterday it was feeling great, so today it is going back to the grind.  Pray that I completely overdo it.  Forgive me, Father, for the gains I am about to receive.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Love me some leg day. Whenever I start feeling like I'm where I want to be, I crush a leg day and realize how far I still have to go.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Buff

I just shake my head whenever I see people skip leg day.  I see kids from the local high-school in the gym on weekends and summers always doing the same chest and arm workouts.  Spending most of their time hanging out on benches running their mouths and flexing in front of the mirrors.  That's about the time I grab a 115 bar and start doing curls before walking through their crowd and loading the squat rack. 

Gotta stay alpha.  (Alpha is usually preceeded by a double shot of C4)

DeltaBoy

I used to love leg day till it got where I was using a cane the next 2 days afterward. Getting old stinks some days.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Buff on May 01, 2016, 10:13:02 am
I just shake my head whenever I see people skip leg day.  I see kids from the local high-school in the gym on weekends and summers always doing the same chest and arm workouts.  Spending most of their time hanging out on benches running their mouths and flexing in front of the mirrors.  That's about the time I grab a 115 bar and start doing curls before walking through their crowd and loading the squat rack. 

Gotta stay alpha.  (Alpha is usually preceeded by a double shot of C4)

Whenever I see a dude that skips leg day in the gym and they give me attitude after I ask if they are going to sit on a piece of equipment all day or lift, I usually tell them something akin to, "I'll never fear a man who skips leg day. "

Some of the looks I get are priceless. Am I'm not that big of a guy.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

southarkhog06

The two worst people on earth are those that skip leg day, and those that workout for 10 min and spend 40 taking selfies, but are still swoll cuz they are juiced out of their gourd. Usually the same person.

Buff

Nah, bro, that's all natural.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Had another good leg day today. Really starting to see results.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Buff on May 04, 2016, 07:15:38 pm
Nah, bro, that's all natural.
Actually had a guy tell me that after I called him out cuz he made fun of my deadlift weight.

southarkhog06

Quote from: The Chief on May 04, 2016, 07:32:01 pm
Had another good leg day today. Really starting to see results.
leg day really is the foundation for the fitness of your whole body.

Buff

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 05, 2016, 08:46:28 am
Actually had a guy tell me that after I called him out cuz he made fun of my deadlift weight.

"Man, all I take is creatine.  Don't hate these gains, bro."

MO.Hog

Today does happen to be leg day. I have two leg workouts a week. When I was younger I hated leg day an avoided it like the plague. Now I love the feeling afterward. Tonight consist of barbell squats 3x8, dumbbell lunges 3x8, machine extensions 3x12, and machine curls 3x12. All this followed by chest and back workout, and starting with a 1 mile run.

hawgrunner

what is it with these guys at the gym that have worked so hard at the upper but have calf muscles the size of bean pole.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: hawgrunner on May 14, 2016, 11:56:17 am
what is it with these guys at the gym that have worked so hard at the upper but have calf muscles the size of bean pole.

Which then extends in the same diameter up to their quads and butt.  Yeah, I looked, no homo.

Dr. Starcs

I'm struggling to build lower body size as well. Mainly due to back injuries.

I've been doing light stuff, but do not want my back to get destroyed again.

Any suggestions? 

clutch

Quote from: hawgrunner on May 14, 2016, 11:56:17 am

My calf muscles refuse to grow. Or at least in my eyes they always look the same. And I work legs twice a week. The calf muscle is the most frustrating muscle on the body in my opinion.

southarkhog06

Quote from: clutch on May 14, 2016, 02:27:20 pm
My calf muscles refuse to grow. Or at least in my eyes they always look the same. And I work legs twice a week. The calf muscle is the most frustrating muscle on the body in my opinion.
have you tried trail running, or hill running?

clutch

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 14, 2016, 03:32:22 pm
have you tried trail running, or hill running?

I live in the flatlands with no trails anywhere close.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 14, 2016, 02:04:25 pm

Any suggestions? 

I hired a trainer at my gym to work on my overall fitness, weight loss, and cycling. We meet monthly to monitor my progress and assign more workouts (bike interval & endurance training, stretching routines, nutrition, and strength training -- dynamic movements, correctives, prime movements, stabilization work). Part of what he's done that is so valuable to me is provide strength training that doesn't aggravate my lower back and quite a bit of core work to help improve the area.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Dr. Starcs

Good info McK.

My doc recommended core work as well so I've been trying to do that too, even though its no fun. Lol

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 14, 2016, 02:04:25 pm

Any suggestions? 

Not sure what back problems you have, but I had severe sciatica to the point I was dragging my left leg with me when I walked.

Take all advice from your doctor, but what helped me get mobile again was chiropractic care and exercise such as squats and dead lifts. I know that may run contrary to what people believe, but that worked my core and strengthened and stretched the associated muscles and joints that were the cause of the sciatica. I now have mild sciatica and some days I don't even notice it.

McKdaddy

I'm a big fan of chiropractic care.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

southarkhog06

Quote from: clutch on May 14, 2016, 05:03:56 pm
I live in the flatlands with no trails anywhere close.
well that's just no good then is it. ;D

other than calf raises any running or walking on uneven terrain is the best thing.

Buff

Seated calf raises, standing calf raises, calf presses on the leg-press machine, box jumps.  Whatever, I'm grounded for a couple of weeks.  Jumped sideways at work last week and felt a hard pop and intense burning in my left calf.  Sucker has been tight ever since.

H&D

Quote from: clutch on May 14, 2016, 02:27:20 pm

Most muscles need to be "shocked" into growing, unless you're one of those a-holes that walk past the gym and put on muscle. My calves didn't grow until I went heavy, really heavy. On standing calf raises I go with a weight I can barely get off the rack, same with leg press. I still work the old p90x three toe position dumbbell raises (just go heavy). I flex to the top, hold, go half negative and back up. If you can do more than ten, you're way too light on the weights. You have to fight past genetics.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Luckily, my calves were built as a kid as I started playing soccer at 4 years old and continued every year until I was 15.

They aren't huge, but they look athletic. Ok.  Now I'm feeling weird with this conversation.