Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stats on Dallas's poor drafting

Started by Tejano Jawg, April 30, 2016, 01:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

In the past 7 years, Dallas is the worst NFL team in drafting a starting player in the 3rd and 4th rounds (which is where many of the best players are found.)

Of the 18 players drafted in that time, there has only been ONE starting season from a Cowboy player. And that was a linebacker who had to fill in for the injured Sean Lee. And—this point could be worse—8 of those players never played an NFL game. Which means those players were so poor, no other NFL team even picked them up.

If you look at teams common to post-season play, they will produce 12 to 16 starters in that same time period. And many Pro-Bowlers.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Dr. Starcs

Just curious, who are you a fan of?

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 30, 2016, 01:07:08 pm
Just curious, who are you a fan of?

Good question...I AM a Cowboys fan. Not because I'm an Arkie homer...this dates back to the days of Roger, Robert Newhouse, Tony D, Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris.

I don't look at much they do now through rose-colored glasses. I'm actually pissed at them most of the time. I don't think Garrett is a great coach (good maybe, not great). And their stadium, while spectacular, is ridiculous. And not conducive to great football, except when the Hogs play there.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Dr. Starcs

I understand they believe elliott will help the defense this year, but I was disappointed they didnt address the personnel through the early goings.

Tejano Jawg

David Moore, Cowboys beat writer, gave their draft a "C". And said in the first 5 picks, there is ONE starter...Elliot. A star player added to a running game that wasn't even a problem last year (compared to everything else.)

Yes, they needed a young RB. But if you go defensive stud in the first round, you could have your pick of solid RBs in round 2.

Rick Gosselin, a great reporter here, was all about strengthening the D. Which didn't happen until the 4th round. He said this about the RB position—

The Cowboys strengthened an area of strength. They already had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL. Darren McFadden finished fourth in rushing, the Cowboys as a team finished ninth and they controlled the football for 31 minutes per game.

Now they will take the ball out of McFadden's hands and put it in those of Elliott. And then there's Morris, who has topped 1,000 yards rushing in three of his four NFL seasons. Three backs, one ball.

Dr. Starcs

It will for sure be interesting to see how the 3-headed attack will help the defense this year.

But they better make sure romo stays healthy if they want any chance of making the playoffs.

Looking at the defense from 2014 when they went 12-4, what really did they have then that they don't have now?

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 30, 2016, 01:02:46 pm
In the past 7 years, Dallas is the worst NFL team in drafting a starting player in the 3rd and 4th rounds (which is where many of the best players are found.)

Of the 18 players drafted in that time, there has only been ONE starting season from a Cowboy player. And that was a linebacker who had to fill in for the injured Sean Lee. And—this point could be worse—8 of those players never played an NFL game. Which means those players were so poor, no other NFL team even picked them up.

If you look at teams common to post-season play, they will produce 12 to 16 starters in that same time period. And many Pro-Bowlers.

Are you saying that good teams will get 12-16 starters in rounds 3 & 4 during a 7 year stretch?

I don't believe that is true.

The cowboys spend those picks trying to hit home runs instead of just getting good solid players. It usually backfires on them. I think their picks in the 3rd and 4th round this year are solid though.
SOOIE

riccoar

I actually like they got Dak Prescott.  I believe a good backup.  They definitely need a great coach, but with Jerry being the next Al Davis, I don't see it anytime soon.

DeltaBoy

Jerry Jones has proven with out a doubt he can make money with the Cowboys but with out Jimmy Johnson he can not build and maintain a winner.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

On a Personal Point I am where I was with the Hogs and Nutt , I stopped watching the Cowboys games !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

bennyl08

Interesting stats, though why just the 3-4th rounds? Sounds an awful lot like biased research.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/5/15/1473181/late-round-draft-picks-survival

I came across this while researching for a different thread with somebody claiming late round draft picks rarely make the team. Turns out, 3/4 6th and 7th round picks not only make the roster but start at least one game in their career.

So, in the context of this this thread, Dallas actually ranks 4th in the NFL with survival rate of late round picks with an 85% rate. When it comes to players who start at least 16 games in their career, Dallas moves up to 3rd total in the NFL with over 30% of their late round picks becoming starters for a seasons worth of games.

http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-best-teams-seattle-seahawks-san-francisco-49ers-tennessee-titans-new-england-patriots/

5 year study of all rounds has Dallas ranking 21st, which obviously isn't amazing, but is a solid third of the way away from the bottom.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dr. Starcs

alohawg

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 30, 2016, 01:41:35 pm
Good question...I AM a Cowboys fan. Not because I'm an Arkie homer...this dates back to the days of Roger, Robert Newhouse, Tony D, Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris.

I don't look at much they do now through rose-colored glasses. I'm actually pissed at them most of the time. I don't think Garrett is a great coach (good maybe, not great). And their stadium, while spectacular, is ridiculous. And not conducive to great football, except when the Hogs play there.

I could've written this about myself. I was in the minority of fans on this draft, not happy at all. Time will tell as always, but I'm afraid Elliot is overhyped by most cowboy fans and the defense is still not gonna be greatly improved. Such a wasted opportunity, imo.
There are atleast 3 or 4 rb's in next yrs. draft I would rather have.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

holeinthewall

As a Giants fan I hope the crook owns the Cowturds for a long time.

bennyl08

While many, myself included, figured Ramsey to be the best bet for the Cowboys, for those who wanted Bosa, seem like Dallas actually made a good decision not drafting him as he seems to only care about the money more than playing time. The longer he waits, to be perfectly honest, the less he is worth. Already, as good as he probably is, his lack of practice time means he'll need the first half of the season to play catchup. Instead, the longer he sits, the more time coaches get to evaluate Philon. If Philon elevates his level of play, that only further reduces the value of Bosa.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawginbigd1

Quote from: alohawg on May 07, 2016, 04:19:52 am
I could've written this about myself. I was in the minority of fans on this draft, not happy at all. Time will tell as always, but I'm afraid Elliot is overhyped by most cowboy fans and the defense is still not gonna be greatly improved. Such a wasted opportunity, imo.
There are atleast 3 or 4 rb's in next yrs. draft I would rather have.
We may not agree on politics but we agree on this! I wanted Ramsey to play nickel and FS. I mean as others have stated, took a strength and made it maybe slightly better, and maybe a good long term investment in the running game. But defense everywhere and TE are the needs on this team, and then to spend the next pick on a player who won't play this year was a double whammy. Defense needed help now, and now with all the suspensions needs it worse. Need safeties and DE/LBs.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 14, 2016, 02:03:06 am
We may not agree on politics but we agree on this! I wanted Ramsey to play nickel and FS. I mean as others have stated, took a strength and made it maybe slightly better, and maybe a good long term investment in the running game. But defense everywhere and TE are the needs on this team, and then to spend the next pick on a player who won't play this year was a double whammy. Defense needed help now, and now with all the suspensions needs it worse. Need safeties and DE/LBs.

Ramsey would have been a much better pick than Elliot IMO, but you shouldn't draft players simply due to concerns of suspensions. That's a long term solution to a short term problem. Many of the best teams will simply draft the best player available regardless of what needs their team has such as GB, Bal, Pit, NE. Seattle will draft to it's needs, though they have been great at finding good value even late in the draft.

The OTR

DeltaBoy

bennyl08

You can replace the "e" with an "i" and it works the same (if you ignore the punctuation)

DeltaBoy

It all the Jones fault.

WooPig90

So what round was Dak drafted in? Asking for a friend..

alohawg

Elliott is starting to make me look wrong and that's just fine.  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

DeltaBoy

Dak and Elliott are improving the Boyz Draft rankings.

Tejano Jawg

On this subject, the Dallas Ticket radio just did a segment specifically on the recent history of the Cowboys' SECOND ROUND drafts.

I know this is an area for debate, based on whatever kind of formula you want to use regarding a player's success. But this guy's point (or opinion) was that Dallas has been the worst in the NFL in the second round in recent years.

Going back to the 2000 draft, there have only been 2 studs, including current LB Sean Lee. There have been a couple okay players, but ones who contributed more after they left the Cowboys. The rest have been guys who barely got on the field...or outright busts. That's a lot of failures. The thought is that Dallas gambles too much in this round, possibly...rather than take a sure thing. The best teams score big in their first 3 rounds. Dallas's inability to make their second round picks work has created a big hole. And it's showed up in their records in the last 20 years, specifically in the playoffs.

bennyl08

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/3/1/11134574/nfl-draft-success-2010-15-do-cowboys-go-to-sleep-on-3rd-day-of-the-draft

Depends on how you define "studs" and such.

The above article I found pretty interesting. In the past 6 drafts, the 13 of the 16 picks from rounds 1-3 have been a primary starter (starting at least 8 games in a season). With 2 of those three only having played their rookie season so far.

NFL average is 65% over the past 6 years for players drafted in the first 3 rounds becoming primary starters vs the 81% hit rate the Cowboys have had.

However, the linked article focuses primarily on rounds 4-7 where the cowboys have only had a 6.7% success rate compared the the NFL average of 19%.

Not in the article, but using it's numbers, for the draft overall, only 36.6% of players drafted in the past 6 years have become a primary starter. Obviously, a big flaw in that analysis is that players in the past few drafts will likely become starters in the future but haven't had time to become starters yet. However, this affects each team equally in the analysis so it's not a terrible way to look at things. Given the average 3.something year career in the NFL, also not bad.