Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Southern College Towns bracket

Started by Razorback Homer, March 21, 2016, 12:01:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Steef on March 23, 2016, 07:31:52 am
I don't live in Fayetteville. I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. It's gorgeous here.

Fayetteville IS an armpit. Cheap bars and pawn shops.

My bad. I read your post as you living in Fayetteville, NC. The Blue Ridge area there is great. I've been all over that region. Very much like the Ozarks but just a little higher mountains.
Quote from: LZH on March 23, 2016, 01:56:24 pm
Our Fayetteville is a nice college town and depending on which magazine you read, the 2nd or 3rd best place to live in the entire country (yeah, I know....the whole USA). And while I I'm absolutely crazy about Southwest Florida, and honestly have never been enamored with the Hill Country of Northwest Arkansas, my daughter absolutely loves it - and I do agree it is a very very nice place.

But that campus is a place I hadn't been to in eons...other than ball games. The last two times I have been up to see my baby girl, I have spent quite a bit of time walking around campus and I'm shocked at how neat it is. It has come a long way since my heyday. I'll tell you something else, I'm on all three major campuses here in Florida nearly every other week and while Miami is really nice, Florida State and the UF campus in Gainesville are nothing special at all. Very big, and very plain.

I guess my point is that it's a shame our Fayetteville isn't more widely appreciated. It is nearing the top 100 largest US metropolitan areas, and apparently beats the hell out of it's sister town in North Carolina. And the UA campus is comparable to most other SEC schools. Maybe as the area and the school grows, more people nationally will take notice.

I've been in Miami but not on the UM campus. I' have been on both the FSU and UF campuses and both are not near as nice as ours. You couldn't pay me enough (well at least it would have to be very high) to live in Miami. IIRC don't you live pin the Tampa area? If so I had two bosses a long time ago that lived down there. One in Clearwater and one in Ruskin. I know the one in clearwater is still there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Divine Swine

Why are we still trailing to the aggies?
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2016, 06:10:52 pm
My bad. I read your post as you living in Fayetteville, NC. The Blue Ridge area there is great. I've been all over that region. Very much like the Ozarks but just a little higher mountains.
I've been in Miami but not on the UM campus. I' have been on both the FSU and UF campuses and both are not near as nice as ours. You couldn't pay me enough (well at least it would have to be very high) to live in Miami. IIRC don't you live pin the Tampa area? If so I had two bosses a long time ago that lived down there. One in Clearwater and one in Ruskin. I know the one in clearwater is still there.

Tallahassee is a decent town, but Gainesville is a colossal dump.  Kind of shockingly so.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

March 24, 2016, 11:37:24 am #53 Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:38:07 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 24, 2016, 08:16:22 am
Tallahassee is a decent town, but Gainesville is a colossal dump.  Kind of shockingly so.

Agree on the towns, but then both campuses are not that great.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Miami is nice if you can make enough money to live in a nice neighborhood, and can afford the trips to South Beach, The Keys, concerts, restaurants, and other miscellaneous entertainment.

In other words, it's not a safe, neighborly place to live or grow up.
Now if this kind of lifestyle is your cup of tea, and you make at minimum about 80K......At minimum, then Miami can be great.

I lived in Homestead for 7 to 8 years, and I loved going to the beach down in the Keys, and when my friends would get me to go out, I had a lot of fun.

The women look great, especially if you prefer an international flare.

Unfortunately,  most of my paycheck went to rent.
4 years ago, my rent was $1300.00 for a 1600 square foot townhouse in a cookie cutter neighborhood.
But it was nice, not great, but nice.
Mainly, it was gated.

I've lived all over the country, and I've never felt as "at risk" as when I lived in Homestead, and the crime numbers backed that up.

As with everywhere I've lived, pick your poison. Every place has pros and cons.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 24, 2016, 11:51:14 am
Miami is nice if you can make enough money to live in a nice neighborhood, and can afford the trips to South Beach, The Keys, concerts, restaurants, and other miscellaneous entertainment.

Now if this kind of lifestyle is your cup of tea, and you make at minimum about 80K......At minimum, then Miami can be great.

I lived in Homestead for 7 to 8 years, and I loved going to the beach down in the Keys, and when my friends would get me to go out, I had a lot of fun.

4 years ago, my rent was $1300.00 for a 1600 square foot townhouse in a cookie cutter neighborhood.
Mainly, it was gated.

I've lived all over the country, and I've never felt as "at risk" as when I lived in Homestead, and the crime numbers backed that up.

Agree. Miami is one city I've felt not as safe. I've worked in the Detroit area and felt safer.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: The Divine Swine on March 23, 2016, 08:40:28 pm
Why are we still trailing to the aggies?

I'm convinced that the Aggs have a script running that doesn't allow their vote to get below 51% as I've voted several times over several days and when their % approaches 51%, I go back to the web page and it all of a sudden it immediately jumps up to 52%....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

MO.Hog

Beat the Aggies, but now we are trailing Baton Rouge.

Arkamedes

Voted. We've only got 40.4% of the vote but it's still early. Come on Hogville!
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

LZH

Yeah I live a couple of blocks from Clearwater Harbor in Pinellas County. I love it down here. Miami is ok, but you would have to make quite a bit of money to enjoy everything there is to really enjoy there.

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 24, 2016, 11:51:14 am

Mainly, it was gated.

100% spot on.

The_Hog_Father

We are running way behind The Corn Dogs... Go vote!  :razorback:

Iwastherein1969

we are down by double digits...apparently one of two things in our battle v the cajuns....1) there's just simply more of them, or 2) people in general think, "Pizz, by any other name (Baton Rouge), would smell as sweet"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Arkamedes

Quote from: Razorback Homer on March 21, 2016, 12:01:11 pm
Just happened across this poll and did not see it mentioned anywhere on the board. Fayetteville is currently trailing College Station in this round, so I thought that good ol' Hogville would want to give the Aggies a beat down in this poll.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/best-southern-college-towns-bracket

Voted until my arm said, "No more!" Then I voted some more.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 23, 2016, 10:35:48 am
delete/clear your cookies and you can vote more than once a day........

I voted this morning bright and early. Lswhoo has a pretty good lead right now though.

DLUXHOG can you do me a favor and tell me the name of the movie in your avatar so I can look it up and watch it. Thanks.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 27, 2016, 06:21:08 am
I voted this morning bright and early. Lswhoo has a pretty good lead right now though.

DLUXHOG can you do me a favor and tell me the name of the movie in your avatar so I can look it up and watch it. Thanks.

Not DLuxHog, but that movie is Open Range. Kevin Coster, Robert DuVall. It's on all the time. Good western.
Go Hogs Go!

WPS007

MAL3

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 23, 2016, 10:35:48 am
delete/clear your cookies and you can vote more than once a day........
I see the Democrats have taught you well...

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: MAL3 on March 27, 2016, 10:12:49 am
I see the Democrats have taught you well...

Jeb Bush and the hanging chads say hello... But the sooner people realize that The Dems/Reps are two sides of the same coin that are only interested in keeping the populace divided and distracted so they can keep filling their pockets the sooner we awaken from this perpetual darn show.

LZH

Wasn't it in Louisiana years ago that dead people were voting? Now THAT'S progressive politics.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: LZH on March 27, 2016, 10:37:00 am
Wasn't it in Louisiana years ago that dead people were voting? Now THAT'S progressive politics.

That's been happening everywhere forever... And it kills me when people want to go to computerized voting machines with no paper hard copy (no that this foolproof either).

But hey... Gun&Garden wouldn't cheat would they? Go vote for Fayettville over the corn dogs!! 🙌🏻🐗

PintailKiller

Trailing Baton Rouge now.  Baton Rouge is a dump.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

The_Hog_Father

Inhogswetrust

Memphis as well.

KCHOGFAN

Quote from: AP85 on March 22, 2016, 09:00:47 pm
Confused. No. Fayetteville Arkansas is more of a Wichita Kansas type place than a "southern" place.
I live in Wichita and I can assure this is not true. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KCHOGFAN on March 27, 2016, 12:44:42 pm
I live in Wichita and I can assure this is not true. 

Not even close to the truth!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on March 27, 2016, 10:46:09 am
That's been happening everywhere forever... And it kills me when people want to go to computerized voting machines with no paper hard copy (no that this foolproof either).

But hey... Gun&Garden wouldn't cheat would they? Go vote for Fayettville over the corn dogs!! 🙌🏻🐗

A very interesting choice of words.

;)
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

AirWarren

bythelake

I give zero credence to these polls as we are very aware of how the voting is biased driven. 

Arkamedes

Last day to vote for round three! We're still about 10% behind. Everybody vote!!!!

Woo Pig!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bythelake on March 27, 2016, 09:40:37 pm
I give zero credence to these polls as we are very aware of how the voting is biased driven.

I guess that s why "lil ole Arkansas" always does so well in them.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: AP85 on March 21, 2016, 04:33:25 pm
Nothing really "southern" about Fayetteville. But best of luck regardless.

What?! lol thats HILARIOUS. Need to travel a little more my friend

geauxhawgs

March 10, 2017, 06:46:10 am #83 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:00:49 am by geauxhawgs
Quote from: uncle bubs on March 23, 2016, 12:32:06 am
Also, I've spent a lot of time in the Midwest as a touring musician and, for what it's worth, Fayetteville would be lying if it claimed to be Midwestern. It's not too far off from some sort of a Midwestern culture, but it certainly ain't there. It's kind of in a league of its own in my opinion.

^^^agree^^^  even South Missouri & Southeast Kansas where Jerry Kill coached, has parts that feel pretty damn southern if I'm being honest. Starts changing outside KC & STL (the part that most people reference when talking about Missouri) just like it does the closer you get to Louisville Kentucky- Missouri is just a lot bigger state. They have the weirdest geography and most division culturally from the born & bred crowd, that I've seen anywhere in the country.

I don't care how fast the area grows or how big it gets. Unless an earthquake totally wipes that corner of our state out, it will always be part of the south just like it always has been. Similar to Nashville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Atlanta and Dallas. Yes, Fayetteville is in a league of its own...just like every other city in the South.

Woo Pig Yall!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 23, 2016, 09:22:40 am
what the hell is wrong with cheap bars??

PP
Seriously, He's referring to Fayetteville, North Carolina....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)