Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

diabetes??

Started by husker71, February 13, 2016, 04:44:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

any of you guys have diabetes??  Have you changed your diet or workout regimen to help??    I am now on metoformin but world like to get some natural solutions to     I have started Alpha Lipoic (??)  today

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent I know very little about it except it a dangerous condition unless you manage it carefully.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I don't have diabetes, but my father has it to a minor degree. Checking blood sugar often, and watching your diet are of the utmost importance. I'd recommend working with your doctor to find a workout regimen that fits your lifestyle and blood sugar numbers.

Good luck and keep on keeping on.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

DLUXHOG

2 tbs of Braggs organic apple cider vinegar (with the "Mother") mixed with a little water each morning & evening, ever day.... (Most walmarts, at least in Texas have it...) got me totally off the diabetes meds, to my doctor's disappointment.......).....   Heals a lot of other "chit" too....   Google it.....(http://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

husker71

^^^  thanks   just drank my morning drink     let you know how it works for me 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: husker71 on February 13, 2016, 04:44:34 pm
any of you guys have diabetes??  Have you changed your diet or workout regimen to help??    I am now on metoformin but world like to get some natural solutions to     I have started Alpha Lipoic (??)  today
switch to a whole foods plant based diet....it will go away in less than a week.

PP

PorkRinds

People like to claim there's no "magic bullet" for Type 2.  There is.  Diet and exercise.  Lose the weight and your problem will take care of itself most of the time.  I'm living proof.

Kenny Hawgins

I have type 1.  These things that have worked well for me:
- No carbs until late afternoon or night.  This is counter to conventional wisdom but, in this case, conventional wisdom is wrong.  You're more sensitive to carbs in the morning.  Also, this is an easy way to limit your overall carb intake through the day.
- Naturally, resistance training.
- Sprint intervals on a bike with the resistance cranked up.  This will suck and you'll be sore but it'll burn off a lot of your glycogen stores.  Also, sprint intervals are more effective for weight loss than just walking or jogging.
- I don't know what sort of work you do but, especially if you're typically sedentary during the day, try to find time to walk during the afternoon or something (especially on days that you're not exercising).  I have a treadmill in the office so I'll just set it at a low speed and steep incline and walk while I read.  Seriously, I can easily do that for 45-60 minutes without realizing it and it makes an enormous difference in how I feel.

Luckily for you, type 2 is generally able to be corrected, as porkrinds noted above.  Just remember that type 2 diabetes is the result of insensitivity to insulin so basically, your goal is to increase sensitivity again.  The best way to do that is constantly being active. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

26.2Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 08, 2016, 12:16:58 pm

switch to a whole foods plant based diet....it will go away in less than a week.

PP

This is exactly right, and this will also take care of high blood pressure and high cholesterol. You'll lose weight, too.

The key is "whole foods plant based" all the time. Never, ever drink calories, including fruit juice (with the exception of a little light beer  ;D.) Never eat any kind of flour, white rice, or pasta type products which are largely made out of flour. Don't eat sugar unless it is naturally occurring in a whole food, such as fruit.  Eat beans and true whole grains like brown rice, oat groats, hulled barley, and rye berries.  Lots of fresh vegetables.

Exercise 6 days/week.  You can control type 2 with lifestyle changes.  Good luck!

Subscribe to Dr. Gabe Mirkin's free fitness and health newsletter and pay close attention to what he says about type 2 diabetes. 

http://www.drmirkin.com/weekly-ezine

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: 26.2Hog on April 02, 2016, 10:27:43 am
This is exactly right, and this will also take care of high blood pressure and high cholesterol. You'll lose weight, too.

The key is "whole foods plant based" all the time. Never, ever drink calories, including fruit juice (with the exception of a little light beer  ;D.) Never eat any kind of flour, white rice, or pasta type products which are largely made out of flour. Don't eat sugar unless it is naturally occurring in a whole food, such as fruit.  Eat beans and true whole grains like brown rice, oat groats, hulled barley, and rye berries.  Lots of fresh vegetables.

Exercise 6 days/week.  You can control type 2 with lifestyle changes.  Good luck!

Subscribe to Dr. Gabe Mirkin's free fitness and health newsletter and pay close attention to what he says about type 2 diabetes. 

http://www.drmirkin.com/weekly-ezine
basically, live a boring food life, lol

PP

PorkRinds

I've controlled my type two with meds, exercise, and diet.  I run three days a week.  On off days I do resistance workouts.  Sometimes as simple as squats, push ups, etc.  My diet, which was fine tuned by my dietician, has me consuming 200 G of protein a day and 90-120 carbs.  This evens out to about 50 protein per meal and 30-40 carbs.  I don't cut out anything, just portion it to the right amount of carbs. I supplement my protein with a good whey protein powder, and eat snacks high in protein to get my extra 50 grams per day.  My blood sugars are about 85-90 in the mornings with resting and my post meal blood sugars are around 120-130.   It's hard work, especially at first.  But you can control it with meds, diet, and exercise.  In fact, my doctor is considering taking me off my meds because of my strict diet and exercise and how well it's working.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 11:40:11 am
I've controlled my type two with meds, exercise, and diet.  I run three days a week.  On off days I do resistance workouts.  Sometimes as simple as squats, push ups, etc.  My diet, which was fine tuned by my dietician, has me consuming 200 G of protein a day and 90-120 carbs.  This evens out to about 50 protein per meal and 30-40 carbs.  I don't cut out anything, just portion it to the right amount of carbs. I supplement my protein with a good whey protein powder, and eat snacks high in protein to get my extra 50 grams per day.  My blood sugars are about 85-90 in the mornings with resting and my post meal blood sugars are around 120-130.   It's hard work, especially at first.  But you can control it with meds, diet, and exercise.  In fact, my doctor is considering taking me off my meds because of my strict diet and exercise and how well it's working.
that's dang good control, well done sir.  It's a devastating disease, so many things can happen if not kept in control.

PP

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 08, 2016, 11:57:17 am
that's dang good control, well done sir.  It's a devastating disease, so many things can happen if not kept in control.

PP

Thanks dude. It's been an ongoing struggle. I figure I need to get it under control in my 30's because the longer you wait the harder it gets. Can't imagine doing it in my 40's. By then I'll just be in auto pilot mode with a healthy life style. It's definitely a permanent change for me.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2016, 07:55:05 pm
Thanks dude. It's been an ongoing struggle. I figure I need to get it under control in my 30's because the longer you wait the harder it gets. Can't imagine doing it in my 40's. By then I'll just be in auto pilot mode with a healthy life style. It's definitely a permanent change for me.

Good Job.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.