Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zone Diet?

Started by Dr. Starcs, October 06, 2015, 10:14:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

Anyone had any experience with it?

I've done a little research on it, but would love to hear from someone that has done it and can explain it a little more simply for me.

Kenny Hawgins

Cookie cutter diets are annoying.  One thing that I will say is at least it doesn't eliminate important nutrients like carbs or fats. 

Ultimately, diet depends on the individual, their goals, and the demands of their physical activity.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on October 06, 2015, 09:30:32 pm
Cookie cutter diets are annoying.  One thing that I will say is at least it doesn't eliminate important nutrients like carbs or fats. 

Ultimately, diet depends on the individual, their goals, and the demands of their physical activity.

Yep
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Snoutmaster

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

Never tried it but knew a couple people who did it and had success with it, this was a good article I remember about the zone

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Snoutmaster on October 08, 2015, 08:27:12 pm
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

Never tried it but knew a couple people who did it and had success with it, this was a good article I remember about the zone
The article is right on some stuff and off on others.  The reason why many people would see an improvement when switching to the zone diet is because their previous diet, a lot of times, is lacking is some way.  Also, they emphasize eating a variety of foods, which is good advice in assuring that micronutrient levels are adequate.

On the other hand, as I've noticed before with the crossfit folks, they have a tendency to confuse anecdotal evidence with actual evidence (or know the difference and ignore it).  There are many factors that contribute to dietary needs of the individual.  For instance, I find it interesting that they link adherence to the zone diet with higher performance, given that multiple studies have demonstrated that higher carb levels are causally related to increased performance in athletes requiring various levels of endurance. 

In general, it depends on the needs.  Some basic, overly general guidelines to use:
- Carb intake depends on goals and activity levels.  If you are extremely active and trying to maintain performance, you likely need higher carb intake.  (>55% of daily calories) 
- If you're trying to lose body fat, lower carbs but don't cut them out.  (~30% of daily calories typically is a good level)
- Eat a variety of foods to ensure adequate supply of vitamins and minerals.
- Ignore fad diets.  Pay attention to your own results and adjust accordingly.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience