Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Triathalon

Started by HawgPilot, August 24, 2015, 12:10:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgPilot

I'm doing my first Sprint Triathalon on September 5th in Bentonville.  Anyone doing this or ever done one?

hawgrunner

hilljack

I've done a few sprints... trying my hand at an Olympic distance in a couple weeks.  Best advice I can give is to swim a lot, don't skip the brick work outs (especially bike-run bricks), and practice transitions.  If you can practice some open water swimming, take advantage of it... swimming in the open water is vastly different than the pool. 

If its your first tri have fun with it!

HawgPilot

Quote from: hilljack on August 31, 2015, 10:45:11 am
I've done a few sprints... trying my hand at an Olympic distance in a couple weeks.  Best advice I can give is to swim a lot, don't skip the brick work outs (especially bike-run bricks), and practice transitions.  If you can practice some open water swimming, take advantage of it... swimming in the open water is vastly different than the pool. 

If its your first tri have fun with it!

Thanks for the information!  I did my bike run brick Sunday.  Got off the bike and ran a 7:08/mile pace so i feel pretty good there.  I am a terrible swimmer and thats why I'm doing this one.  Its in a pool.  Either way, it will be my first and Ive trained hard for it and looking forward to accomplishing it without injury!!

Good luck on the Olympic!  Thats serious training time there!!

hilljack

7:08 off the bike is legit! 

Be careful with triathlons... they are addictive!  and addictions are expensive!!  I started racing about a year and a half ago and quickly realized that I NEED a dedicated triathlon bike, new wetsuit, multiple pairs of running shoes, etc...  My wife is not a fan!  and she won't let me have the new bike.    :(

HawgPilot

Are you on Strava by chance?

HawgPilot

hilljack

I'll look you up on strava.

Have you found a good triathlon check list?  Its a handy way to ensure you don't forget anything when packing your gear before the race.

HawgPilot

No checklist yet other than my own mental.  Do you have one that you'd suggest?

hawgrunner

HawgPilot

Great first race!  Thanks for the checklist!!

hawgrunner

hilljack

Awesome!  Good to hear it went well.

HawgPilot

The swim really took a lot more out of me than i thought.  I did still beat my goal and finished with a time of 1:26:37

Racing again September 20 in the CATS Sprint Tri in Conway.

hilljack

The swim always kicks my A$$.  Tomorrow's race will start with a 1500m open water swim... My goal is >40 min for the swim, hopefully I can beat it.  In a pool, I consistently swim a 1500 in around 30 min.

1:26 for your first tri is pretty good.  My first was closer to 2 hours... T1 kicked my a$$... after peeling the wetsuit off and getting set for the bike I burned nearly 7 minutes.

Already signed up for the next race... Awesome!  Is the Conway tri open water or pool? 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgPilot

Quote from: hilljack on September 11, 2015, 12:50:06 pm
The swim always kicks my A$$.  Tomorrow's race will start with a 1500m open water swim... My goal is >40 min for the swim, hopefully I can beat it.  In a pool, I consistently swim a 1500 in around 30 min.

1:26 for your first tri is pretty good.  My first was closer to 2 hours... T1 kicked my a$$... after peeling the wetsuit off and getting set for the bike I burned nearly 7 minutes.

Already signed up for the next race... Awesome!  Is the Conway tri open water or pool? 

Good luck tomorrow! I cant imagine swimming 1500 meters, YIKES!! Let us know how it goes.

The swim for the Conway Tri is in Lake Beaverfork and I have been practicing the course for about a month.  Hopefully it will pay off.  The bike course is much tougher than the Bentonville bc of all the hills.  But, it is what it is....

hilljack

Saturday's race went pretty well considering it was my first Olympic distance.  I didn't win, but I managed to meet all of my goals so I was happy with the results.  The winner in my age group (who was overall 2nd place) finished right at 2 hours.

My goals were to finish in under 3 hours, complete the swim in under 40 min and complete the run in less than an hour. 

Total time:  2:52
Swim 1500m: 36 min
Bike 22 miles: 1:15
run 10K: 52 min

I was disappointed in the bike leg, I'm usually much faster.  Average speed was around 17 MPH, I'm usually up around 19-20.  I was worried about the run, so I held back on the bike a little.

T1 kicked my arse again... I need to practice taking the wetsuit off.

hawgpharmer

I need help on my swimming!!! That is what has held me back on entering many triathlons. I did the Trifest (which I'm assuming is the one HawgPilot did). Open water terrifies me. Any suggestions???

hawgrunner

Quote from: hilljack on September 14, 2015, 11:11:35 am
Saturday's race went pretty well considering it was my first Olympic distance.  I didn't win, but I managed to meet all of my goals so I was happy with the results.  The winner in my age group (who was overall 2nd place) finished right at 2 hours.

My goals were to finish in under 3 hours, complete the swim in under 40 min and complete the run in less than an hour. 

I was disappointed in the bike leg, I'm usually much faster.  Average speed was around 17 MPH, I'm usually up around 19-20.  I was worried about the run, so I held back on the bike a little.

Good Job!! Nice times you have there!

hilljack

Quote from: hawgpharmer on September 15, 2015, 09:28:49 pm
I need help on my swimming!!! That is what has held me back on entering many triathlons. I did the Trifest (which I'm assuming is the one HawgPilot did). Open water terrifies me. Any suggestions???

The only way to get comfortable swimming is to swim, obviously.  Find a good training plan and start slow, working up to whatever goal you set.  I use these two sites to build workouts...http://ironswimming.com. Or. http://100swimmingworkouts.com

If you can get hooked up with a masters swim team, a triathlon club, or a coach you'd be setting yourself up for success. 

If you're already comfortable in a pool, working your way into open water is pretty easy.  Use a wetsuit and/or a pull bouy for safety.  Always swim with a buddy or someone in a kayak or paddle board is a good idea.  A lot of people have anxiety about open water swimming.  Do a search for "overcoming the fear of open water swimming..."   You'll find a ton of sites with advice.

Good luck with your training guys!

hilljack

The is the safety float I use for open water training.  Good for visibility and you can use it as a float if you get into trouble.   

HawgPilot

Quote from: hilljack on September 14, 2015, 11:11:35 am

Way to go!  Man that is quite an accomplishment.  That swim time is impressive as is the 10k time.

I race this weekend in the CATS Sprint.  I swam the course this morning and ran 5 miles.  Im done until Sunday.

HawgPilot

Quote from: hilljack on September 15, 2015, 11:56:06 pm
The only way to get comfortable swimming is to swim, obviously.  Find a good training plan and start slow, working up to whatever goal you set.  I use these two sites to build workouts...http://ironswimming.com. Or. http://100swimmingworkouts.com

If you can get hooked up with a masters swim team, a triathlon club, or a coach you'd be setting yourself up for success. 

If you're already comfortable in a pool, working your way into open water is pretty easy.  Use a wetsuit and/or a pull bouy for safety.  Always swim with a buddy or someone in a kayak or paddle board is a good idea.  A lot of people have anxiety about open water swimming.  Do a search for "overcoming the fear of open water swimming..."   You'll find a ton of sites with advice.

Good luck with your training guys!

I agree with the above post.  I especially agree with the pull bouy and just getting out and swimming the open water.  I am still not totally comfortable but I know I can swim the distance so I just take that as confidence and go do it.  One other thing, I always swim open water with at least one other person.

Good luck, you can do it!

hilljack

Quote from: HawgPilot on September 17, 2015, 03:37:54 pm
I race this weekend in the CATS Sprint.  I swam the course this morning and ran 5 miles.  Im done until Sunday.

Good luck on Sunday!  Let us know how it goes.

HawgPilot

Quote from: hilljack on September 17, 2015, 03:55:46 pm
Good luck on Sunday!  Let us know how it goes.

Thanks! I will do.  My goal is to finish sub 1:35.  The bike is pretty hilly so Im a bit nervous about that.  IF, I can get off the bike in 52 mins or less, I can meet my goal.  Big IF...

On a side note, Good friend of mine from Conway, Richard Green competed today in the World ITU Championship today in Chicago.  He finished 22 in the world!!  Google it, he's a beast!!!

hawgpharmer

I'm sure this is a silly question but is there anyway to rest during the swim? Or is it once you start then you don't quit til your back.

hilljack

You are allowed to rest during the swim.  If the race it wetsuit legal, you're pretty buoyant so that will keep you on top of the water....kinda like full body water wings.

Some dudes will switch to breast stroke to rest.  Breast stroke is a good way to keep moving while catching your breath, sighting and using different muscle groups.  If you're really hurting, you can grab onto one of the bouys, boats or paddle boards to rest.  The only caveat is that the boat or board can't move you forward. 

HawgPilot

Quote from: hawgpharmer on September 17, 2015, 07:11:59 pm
I'm sure this is a silly question but is there anyway to rest during the swim? Or is it once you start then you don't quit til your back.

I've had to use the breast stroke to catch my breath.  It's not the physicality of the swim that gets me rather the breathing.

hilljack

Finished my last race of the season, pretty happy with the results.  Last year, the Pumpkin Man Las Vegas was my first ever triathlon; I finished the sprint distance in 2:15 minutes.  Did the sprint distance again to see what kind of gains I've made after a year of training...  My goal for the race was 1:45.  Didn't quite make that mark, but was happy with 1:52 which gave me a 23 minute drop in time.  Could have done a little better, but my training tailed off a little in the weeks leading up to the race.

2014                    2015
Swim 750m                                                 0:20:34              0:17:30
Bike (12.5 miles, 1,600 feet vertical)             1:15:45              1:03:10 
run 5K                                                        0:27:46              0:27:05

Made up the bulk of my time on the bike, but that made the run time much slower than planned.  The climb kicked my butt and I didn't save anything for the run.  Transitions were much smoother as well.  Knocked nearly 3.5 minutes off my T1 time.  Lesson learned for T1 is to lube up so the wetsuit comes of faster.

Now its time to build the race plan for next season.   :razorback:

HawgPilot

Quote from: hilljack on October 28, 2015, 12:32:12 pm
Finished my last race of the season, pretty happy with the results.  Last year, the Pumpkin Man Las Vegas was my first ever triathlon; I finished the sprint distance in 2:15 minutes.  Did the sprint distance again to see what kind of gains I've made after a year of training...  My goal for the race was 1:45.  Didn't quite make that mark, but was happy with 1:52 which gave me a 23 minute drop in time.  Could have done a little better, but my training tailed off a little in the weeks leading up to the race.

2014                    2015
Swim 750m                                                 0:20:34              0:17:30
Bike (12.5 miles, 1,600 feet vertical)             1:15:45              1:03:10 
run 5K                                                        0:27:46              0:27:05

Made up the bulk of my time on the bike, but that made the run time much slower than planned.  The climb kicked my butt and I didn't save anything for the run.  Transitions were much smoother as well.  Knocked nearly 3.5 minutes off my T1 time.  Lesson learned for T1 is to lube up so the wetsuit comes of faster.

Now its time to build the race plan for next season.   :razorback:

Those are great gains!  Congrats man

hilljack

Hog Triathletes...  has anyone ever done the tri49 at Prairie Creek on Beaver Lake?  I'm moving back to OKC in a couple months and I'm considering making this my "A" race for the season.  The distance looks interesting as its somewhere between an Olympic and a 70.3.

Also thinking about doing the Trifest out at DeGray as a precursor race.  Anyone know of any other good races in July or early August in Oklahoma or NW Arkansas?

HawgPilot

Quote from: hilljack on March 29, 2016, 10:59:34 am
Hog Triathletes...  has anyone ever done the tri49 at Prairie Creek on Beaver Lake?  I'm moving back to OKC in a couple months and I'm considering making this my "A" race for the season.  The distance looks interesting as its somewhere between an Olympic and a 70.3.

Also thinking about doing the Trifest out at DeGray as a precursor race.  Anyone know of any other good races in July or early August in Oklahoma or NW Arkansas?

I haven't done that one but the MS Tritest is in Bentonville in early September.  Ive done that one and its a well put on event.

hogsfan31

Looking at doing my first Triathlon this year. Just bought a road bike. It's not the best or most expensive, it's more entry level and I know if I love it I'll upgrade probably soon.

What kind of training plans should I look at? I'm a pretty good swimmer, but breathing is what is the hardest for me and I know that will be what I need to work on most. Any advice from you vets?

hilljack

hogsfan31,  welcome to triathlon!  Don't worry about the bike.  Unless you plan on getting into the long distance races a road bike is just fine.

As far as training plans go. www.trinewbies.com is a good place to start.  Start out with a Sprint distance which shouldn't require a ton of training as long as you're mostly comfortable doing all three disciplines.  Practice swimming in open water to learn how to site and get more comfortable in the water.  Best advice... Have fun with the training and don't worry about your times.

hogsfan31

Quote from: hilljack on February 10, 2020, 06:43:45 am
hogsfan31,  welcome to triathlon!  Don't worry about the bike.  Unless you plan on getting into the long distance races a road bike is just fine.

As far as training plans go. www.trinewbies.com is a good place to start.  Start out with a Sprint distance which shouldn't require a ton of training as long as you're mostly comfortable doing all three disciplines.  Practice swimming in open water to learn how to site and get more comfortable in the water.  Best advice... Have fun with the training and don't worry about your times.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the website.

ballz2thewall

just saw this.

i did triathlons for about 8 years or so. the last one was about 14 years ago.

i haven't read all the replies.

if you haven't done it, research "open water swimming" for some good techniques relevant to triathlon swims. you can practice it in the pool and it translates into open water when needed.

good luck!

EDIT. damn, man. this thread was started in 2015!

i'm a bit late!!
The rest of the frog.