Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disc Herniation

Started by hawgrunner, January 11, 2015, 03:05:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgrunner

If you had a disc herniation and it's making your lower left leg and foot numb.
What would be the benefit of getting an epidural if any?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgrunner

Well got one today let you folks now how it goes.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

austin.hogfan

I did 6 of those and other procedures over 2 years to no avail, and ended up going to he laser spine institute of Tampa (also one in OK City).  Highly recommended.

japhog

had the same thing along with some severe leg pain.  was told the only thing that would help was shaving some of the disk off (diskectomy) to keep it from pressing the nerve.  waited till i was dragging my leg and then had.  the leg pain went away, still somewhat numb though.

DeltaBoy

prayers sent hope you get some relief.

hawgrunner

Starting to think the surgery route... Hmmm...

hawgrunner

no surgery but really focus hard on McKenzie Exercises!

hawgrunner

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hawgrunner on February 09, 2015, 08:57:39 pm
Here is my MRI....

Late '80s, while I was in my early 20's I had herniated discs between L3, L4 and L4,L5. It was brutal, massive painful jolts down the right leg and foot, and to a lesser degree the left leg. Worst part was a near continuous sensation that someone was driving a splitting wedge just north of my crack trying to carve my arse off my body.

Air force neuro surgeon recommended surgery, I opted for light duty and rehab. I managed to hang on til I discharged from service and with time and a change of job activities things gradually improved. I'm 49 years old now and I rarely ever have any kind of lower back issues. Hope everything works out for you.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Goodness Albert that a bad looking back hawgrunner got there.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 11, 2015, 09:42:02 am
Goodness Albert that a bad looking back hawgrunner got there.

Yep, that's what mine looked like only with 2 herniated disks.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

woodrow hog call

I have rods and screws, holding my L4-L5 in place, from rupturing that disc
many years ago. If I had that now I would definitely see the Laser Spine Institute.

I actually sent them an MRI from last year of my neck, and have talked to them several times.
Go to their web site and watch the videos, listen to the testimonials, and see what you think.
You can email the images to them, and fill out a form, then they will tell you if you are a candidate or not.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hogsmo Kramer

February 22, 2015, 12:12:33 pm #14 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:22:07 pm by Hogsmo Kramer
Exactly why I'm backing off my heavy powerlifting routines in favor of weighted body weight and kettlebell exercises along with moderately heavy compound lifts.

The days of throwing 500 on my back or having 375 above my chest are over.

I'm down from 230 to 205 and feel great. Lost a little muscle and quite a bit of strength but I'm cool with that now.

At 35 I want to remain fit and healthy for my kiddos and will leave the PR chasing to the young bulls.

Anyway hope your back gets to feeling better man I know that's gotta be a pain literally to deal with.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

DeltaBoy

Good Move and we need an update hogunner!

hawgrunner

Still got numbness in the lower left leg and foot but working with a local Physical Therapist. It's going to take some time but I think we're making head way.

DeltaBoy

Good to hear that . Continued Prayers sent.

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

How do you fix "Peroneal Nerve Entrapment"?

zane

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 05, 2015, 03:30:26 pm
How do you fix "Peroneal Nerve Entrapment"?

Surgery

It's a relatively non invasive surgery (compared to spine).  A small incision is made to the lateral leg just below the knee. The nerve is identified and the soft tissue structures are released. No hardware or anything like that. It's maybe a 45 minute procedure.

Is this entrapment confirmed via conduction studies?
RIP LSUfan

twistitup

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 18, 2015, 10:08:07 pm
thanks...

this is key right here
http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/pain-relief-mckenzie-treatment

That stretch in Fig. 5 is what helped me the most.....I had a couple discs that they wanted to operate on but I avoided it with some of those same exercises
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgrunner

Quote from: zane on July 05, 2015, 04:06:36 pm
Surgery

It's a relatively non invasive surgery (compared to spine).  A small incision is made to the lateral leg just below the knee. The nerve is identified and the soft tissue structures are released. No hardware or anything like that. It's maybe a 45 minute procedure.

Is this entrapment confirmed via conduction studies?

no just best guess on my part base on symptoms.
I did have EMG's (electromyogram)test done late last year and no nerve damage in the leg.

DeltaBoy

Continued Prayers sent.

Pork Twain

I had a herniated L4/L5 and L5/S1, with sciatica (numbness and pain down the left leg caused by pressure on your sciatic nerve) and the Air Force had me try shots (useless), Chiropractor (more than useless and caused more damage), deep tissue massage (felt good while it was happening but pain returned immediately after), traction (same as massage) LOTS of drugs (at one point I was taking 3 Percocet and 2 flexiril just to get out of bed), L5/S1 discectomy in 2010, L5/S1 fusion in 2012, and in Jun 2014 I had all of that cleaned out and then they fused my L4/L5/S1 and placed stability screws in my iliac and the UVA neurosurgery clinic.

I feel great now, better than I did in my 20's, but I will always have a dead left leg because they waited until my entire disc came out onto my spine between surgeries 1 and 2 and that cause permanent nerve damage to the back of my left leg, which also has caused atrophy as you can see by the smaller size.  This leads me to say, be careful just treating the symptom and not the cause, because that can eventually lead to much bigger issues.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 15, 2015, 08:36:24 am
I had a herniated L4/L5 and L5/S1, with sciatica (numbness and pain down the left leg caused by pressure on your sciatic nerve) and the Air Force had me try shots (useless), Chiropractor (more than useless and caused more damage), deep tissue massage (felt good while it was happening but pain returned immediately after), traction (same as massage) LOTS of drugs (at one point I was taking 3 Percocet and 2 flexiril just to get out of bed), L5/S1 discectomy in 2010, L5/S1 fusion in 2012, and in Jun 2014 I had all of that cleaned out and then they fused my L4/L5/S1 and placed stability screws in my iliac and the UVA neurosurgery clinic.

I feel great now, better than I did in my 20's, but I will always have a dead left leg because they waited until my entire disc came out onto my spine between surgeries 1 and 2 and that cause permanent nerve damage to the back of my left leg, which also has caused atrophy as you can see by the smaller size.  This leads me to say, be careful just treating the symptom and not the cause, because that can eventually lead to much bigger issues.

I had some titanium put in my neck in August that looks a lot like your x-rays. Not to that extent, though.

DeltaBoy

Bless your heart Pork Twain and Continued  Prayers for the rest of you.

KCHOGFAN

Hope you are doing better, hawgrunner.  I've had two lower back surgeries - laminectomy with partial discectomy.  Each time it relieved the majority of the back and leg pain.  Unfortunately the last go around I developed drop foot that has not subsided.  It's a mystery to the Nueroscience community - my neurosurgeon said it may take two years for the nerve to repair or it may never get better.  Good luck, back issues are terrible. 

DeltaBoy

Prayer sent for you all and so far the Chiropractor kept me going.

hawgrunner

Quote from: KCHOGFAN on December 25, 2015, 02:19:45 pm
Hope you are doing better, hawgrunner.  I've had two lower back surgeries - laminectomy with partial discectomy.  Each time it relieved the majority of the back and leg pain.  Unfortunately the last go around I developed drop foot that has not subsided.  It's a mystery to the Nueroscience community - my neurosurgeon said it may take two years for the nerve to repair or it may never get better.  Good luck, back issues are terrible. 

Thanks...
Have a new Doc I'm seeing this Friday hope he has some answers the help get me back to doing the things I love.

hawgrunner

Getting updated MRI done.

DeltaBoy

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 15, 2015, 08:36:24 am

Did you get the bill itemized from the hospital? I think mine was $28k just for the hardware, and you have more than I do, that was 12 or so years ago. I know what you mean about the permanent damage, one of my butt cheeks is pretty dead and down the back of my leg a little ways.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

DeltaBoy

Those back exercises you all posted have gave me some welcomed relief. 

Pork Twain

I hope you guys are doing better.  One thing I would tell anyone with back pain is to avoid pain meds as much as you can because it is just hiding the damage that is being done to your back every day that you continue to suffer.  I wish I could go back in time and have told the AF to keep their meds and to fix me instead.  I would not have the permanent nerve damage down my left leg/foot, because the meds made me feel like things were ok, when they were not.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hawgrunner

the mri result was the same as last year which means two things it's not got better but it's not worst.

Going to see
https://www.scripps.org/physicians/3699-james-bruffey
who a area of Specialties in Orthopaedic Surgery of the Spine, as so can get his input on my back and what is the next best course of action.

hawgrunner

Anybody have a Microdiscectomy?

hawgrunner

Well here I'm day 2 of recovery from Back Surgery. Ouch the low back is sore!

McKdaddy

Prayers for your recovery.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hawgrunner

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawgrunner on February 24, 2016, 05:52:55 pm
Anybody have a Microdiscectomy?
That was my first surgery in 2009

DeltaBoy

Prayers for your recovery
Quote from: hawgrunner on March 13, 2016, 01:04:32 pm
Well here I'm day 2 of recovery from Back Surgery. Ouch the low back is sore!

hawgrunner

Follow up with Doc today... on track but going to take some time. But was cleared to ride the bike for short easy rides!

riccoar

The biggest issue is the longer you let the nerve go (pain shooting down the leg), the more likely you will suffer damage.  I had two ruptured discs and suffered the nerve pain as well.  I had surgery, more like had to have, because one piece of the spongy part of the disc had come out and lodged between my spine and nerve.  After surgery all pain was gone.  One thing you learn from PT afterwards, the stronger your core is, the less stress on your back.

RazorWild

I'm just finding this thread.  I work in Surgery and assist with all types of back cases.  Microdiscectomy being the only one I would ever sign up for.  Riccoar hit the nail on the head with his comment about core strength.  90% (and that's being kind) of our patients are overweight.  I would highly recommend sticking with your PT for the rest of your life.  At least some sort of planking routine and keeping your weight down.  The last thing you want is to end up back in surgery with an ALIF, XLIF, TLIF ect.  Good luck to you in your recovery.

DeltaBoy

Glad to here Hogrunner is getting better and Yep keeping your weight down is key to back and foot health.

hawgrunner

Quote from: RazorWild on April 14, 2016, 07:09:03 am
I'm just finding this thread.  I work in Surgery and assist with all types of back cases.  Microdiscectomy being the only one I would ever sign up for.  Riccoar hit the nail on the head with his comment about core strength.  90% (and that's being kind) of our patients are overweight.  I would highly recommend sticking with your PT for the rest of your life.  At least some sort of planking routine and keeping your weight down.  The last thing you want is to end up back in surgery with an ALIF, XLIF, TLIF ect.  Good luck to you in your recovery.

Being 5'10"  74lbs with about 20% body fat I'm somewhat ok, but still need a lot more work on my core. What I did wrong was let the disc push against the nerve for way to long so the possibly of the numbness to go away at least to the 100% level may never happen. I could live with a little bit of numbness, what really can't stand is not being able to walk, run or ride with out major cramping in the foot. So the really goal is here is to get to that point.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 14, 2016, 03:31:31 pm
Being 5'10"  74lbs with about 20% body fat I'm somewhat ok, but still need a lot more work on my core. What I did wrong was let the disc push against the nerve for way to long so the possibly of the numbness to go away at least to the 100% level may never happen. I could live with a little bit of numbness, what really can't stand is not being able to walk, run or ride with out major cramping in the foot. So the really goal is here is to get to that point.

I hope that's 174.  Otherwise, you might have more problems than your back. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: austin.hogfan on January 21, 2015, 05:40:31 pm
I did 6 of those and other procedures over 2 years to no avail, and ended up going to he laser spine institute of Tampa (also one in OK City).  Highly recommended.
I got them reviewing my latest mri now, don't know that i will agree with surgery though

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on April 15, 2016, 04:49:03 pm
I hope that's 174.  Otherwise, you might have more problems than your back. 

LOL!! type-o!