Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help me pick the right home gym equipment

Started by PorkRyan, August 23, 2014, 10:55:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRyan

Here is my situation:  I am almost 40 so this will be more for my almost teenage son than it will be for me.  I currently have a leverage gym that I am getting rid of.  I am looking for a good/decent rack or half rack.  I don't want to spend a ton on this, but I also don't want to waste my money by buying something really cheap that isn't going to last.  Dick's has the Fitness Gear Half Rack for $349 and with coupons I can save another 10%.  It has great reviews on the Dick's site, but Bodybuilding.com does not approve.  I've found a used Rouge R3 for $600, but I have to drive 3 hours to get it.  Titan makes a Rogue R3 knock off for $400 shipped.  The reviews are mixed on the Titan R3 so far with some loving it and others having issues.  Everyone says to get a full rack vs a half rack, but every high school gym I have been in lately has nothing but half racks.  Any thoughts?   

clutch

I like full racks. Also, if I were buying it for myself I'd go ahead and buy the rogue rack. They make great stuff. I'd know I got something that would last then.

hvsupastar

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd recommend paying for a gym membership. Any sort of weight  equipment for your full body workouts will cost North of $1500 to get any kind of quality.

That being said fitness warehouse USA is a pretty reputable online retailer

http://www.fitnesswarehouseusa.com/index.php?cPath=21_35
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hawkhawg

Make sure u get stuff that will be easy to sale in a rummage sale next year.

Dr. Starcs

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawkhawg on August 23, 2014, 08:18:22 pm

Ha, +1. Another check mark for the gym membership.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: hawkhawg on August 23, 2014, 08:18:22 pm

Every piece of home workout equipment ends up with laundry hanging on it or takes up space in the garage with stuff piled on it.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Pork Twain

I would never buy anything for my home as long as there is a gym close, because I cannot afford enough to compete with what they can offer.

If I was buying, it would be a full rack.  Never go half...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

clutch

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2014, 07:33:56 pm
I would never buy anything for my home as long as there is a gym close, because I cannot afford enough to compete with what they can offer.

If I was buying, it would be a full rack.  Never go half...

This is pretty much how I feel too. I could buy a few pieces of equipment, but most gyms are pretty cheap now. It's easy to find a $10 a month membership and the gym will offer many more options. I can do everything I need with a full rack, a barbell, and a few dumbbells. However, I'd much rather be able to add in other stuff to my workouts to get the most out of them. Plus at the gym I get away from all the regular household distractions.

McKdaddy

Quote from: clutch on August 24, 2014, 08:24:55 pm
I could buy a few pieces of equipment, but most gyms are pretty cheap now. It's easy to find a $10 a month membership and the gym will offer many more options. I can do everything I need with a full rack, a barbell, and a few dumbbells. However, I'd much rather be able to add in other stuff to my workouts to get the most out of them. Plus at the gym I get away from all the regular household distractions.

Agreed.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ldfergu

All I need is some bumper plates and I'm pretty much set for what I do. Bought some things new, some used. Maybe have spent around $800ish

[attachment deleted by admin]

hvsupastar

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on August 25, 2014, 10:02:31 pm
All I need is some bumper plates and I'm pretty much set for what I do. Bought some things new, some used. Maybe have spent around $800ish

800 is like 7 years of a gym membership and you get a cable machine, squat rack, dumb bells, let pull down etc. Sweet room though
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

ldfergu

Quote from: hvsupastar on August 25, 2014, 11:08:45 pm
800 is like 7 years of a gym membership and you get a cable machine, squat rack, dumb bells, let pull down etc. Sweet room though

Its less than 2 years of a gym membership and far less douchebags taking up machines, staring into the mirror.  All in the convenience of my own home.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love going to the gym.  Actually, I have access to the AF gym which is a state of the art facility.  But, I'm about to have a little one to watch after so working out at home will be a must.

hvsupastar

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on August 27, 2014, 09:59:45 pm
Its less than 2 years of a gym membership and far less douchebags taking up machines, staring into the mirror.  All in the convenience of my own home.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love going to the gym.  Actually, I have access to the AF gym which is a state of the art facility.  But, I'm about to have a little one to watch after so working out at home will be a must.

Well I gave you a good Web page for equipment. That's where we buy some of our equipment (hs football). But man, there has to be a gym near you cheaper than 35 a month

H&D

Rogue full rack and quality adjustable bench. And a set of adjustable dumbbells, as heavy as you can get a hold of.

And workout with the garage door open. My neighbor across the street brought me a case of Yuengling a few months ago (he travels to Memphis for work).  He said that ever since I started working out with the garage door open his wife has been all over him (they're in their 50's). He said, "this case is my way of saying thanks young man."  He said their kitchen window looks out the front of the house and he noticed she started hand washing the dishes on days I was working out.

I feel kind of violated, but if the Yuengling keeps coming I can live with it. Plus it's helping and old man get some.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

DeltaBoy

Just get something you will use.  We bought some stuff 15 years ago and wound up selling it in a garage sale cause we just did not use it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogsmo Kramer

September 09, 2014, 10:23:55 pm #16 Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:02:13 pm by Hogsmo Kramer
Not sure where you're at but I've got some stuff I need to get rid of because I don't have room for it anymore one of which happens to be a full squat rack and then a high/low pulley machine.

I'm in NWA and the stuff is in decent shape and I wouldn't be getting rid of the squat rack if I had room but we just moved and downsized our house so my basement gym has become my garage gym of which space is more limited.

Just thought I'd throw it out there since I'll be putting it on Craigslist soon anyway.

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Darren DeLoach

For my family, it is 108 a month plus a 240 one time annual fee for our "gyms".
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Jack The BN

Every piece of furniture in my house is total gym
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name