Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unscentific Supplement Review

Started by H&D, August 14, 2014, 12:27:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

H&D

So, a couple of months ago I made a supplement order and received a sample of bpi 1.M.R. Vortex pre-workout.  First thing I noticed was how much better it tasted than the Nutrex HemoRage I had bought. Well I finally got low on the Nutrex and noticed a good deal on 1M.R. Vortex with three 2lb containers of bpi Whey-HD. I ordered blueberry lemon ice Vortex, banana marshmallow whey, chocolate cookie whey and vanilla caramel ice cream whey.  The vortex taste amazing and is on the level of the original Jackd in terms of pump, intensity and focus, it's the best I've had since. I've only opened the banana marshmallow so far, and it has ridiculously good flavor.

Like I said, it's just personal opinion.       
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Haven't tried 1MR in a while. It used to be the worst tasting sup out there. Always worked great though.

H&D

Works good, taste great. There is still 1MR. This is 1MR Vortex. There might be a difference in taste.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Tai_Mai_Shu

1MR is awful in taste and the aftertaste will last for a while too. I have a sample of 1MR Vortex so I will give that a try.

clutch

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on August 22, 2014, 11:09:37 am
1MR is awful in taste and the aftertaste will last for a while too. I have a sample of 1MR Vortex so I will give that a try.

Yeah it does. I was scared to give the vortex a try because the original 1MR was so bad. I'm going to pick up some Vortex in a couple days and give it a try. I've been on a pre workout break for about a month or 2 because I like to give my body a break from it. It's about time to start back though. Feel my workouts have been suffering lately from a lack of energy.

H&D

The pump on this stuff keeps getting better. I did tri sets this morning. Two tri sets of chest followed by two tri sets of back. The pump on my chest was so good, I was having to fight it while trying to do back.

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Got my vortex in and tried it out today. Great pump , great energy, but has me feeling weird. Legs kept getting shaky. Glad it wasn't leg day. Still feeling strange after the workout. Hoping I just didn't eat enough earlier today. I'll give it another try tomorrow. Never had a sup make me feel weird. Wondering if it's maybe just because it's been a while since I've used a preworkout.

H&D

How much did you take? And what was your caffeine intake like in the day before using it.

It does seem to have that Jackd "buzz."

I had the bodybuilding.com  brand "Build" pre-workout really mess with me. I had to send it back and they took it very seriously.  They sent me several surveys, full refund plus several bonus items. In my next order I basically everything in the bonus catalog. I noticed they pulled it shortly after that, they must of had major issues with it.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

September 21, 2014, 10:46:09 pm #8 Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:57:51 am by clutch
Took 1.5 scoops. Caffeine intake was pretty low yesterday. Don't really drink much caffeine other than usually a glass of tea at dinner. Usually water the rest of the day.

It was kind of a buzzed feel. When I got home that's exactly what I was thinking. Sort of felt like I'd been drinking. Plus arms, hands and legs were really shaky. Almost like I was losing my coordination. It was strange.

Only other time I've ever had that happen to me was when I took a 5 hour energy years ago on an empty stomach. Messed me up to the point where I probably couldn't have driven lol.

clutch

Better results today. Lowered to just 1 scoop, although a big 1 scoop. Thinking I just didn't have enough food in me or something. Going to keep monitoring and experimenting with it for a couple days.

H&D

Man did you read the directions? You're only suppose to start with one scoop.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on September 22, 2014, 08:19:25 pm
Man did you read the directions? You're only suppose to start with one scoop.

Yeah, but is thought since I've taken everything under the sun I could handle it. Guess my preworkout layoff was longer than I thought. Thought that extra half a scoop wasn't that big of a deal.

H&D

No, no, no. Pretty strong stuff. I've been taking it awhile and still do fine on one scoop. I keep a pretty low caffeine intake though.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on September 22, 2014, 08:51:42 pm
No, no, no. Pretty strong stuff. I've been taking it awhile and still do fine on one scoop. I keep a pretty low caffeine intake though.

I never had a problem with the original jack3d so I thought I could handle anything. A lot stronger than I expected. Been a long time since I found some good stuff again.

H&D

I know what you're talking about. I've went through a bunch of stuff trying to find something as good as original Jack3d. It's is close to the pump and energy. Just missing that bugs crawling on your skin feeling that Jack3d had.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on September 22, 2014, 09:16:47 pm
I know what you're talking about. I've went through a bunch of stuff trying to find something as good as original Jack3d. It's is close to the pump and energy. Just missing that bugs crawling on your skin feeling that Jack3d had.

I've noticed that. I miss the crawling skin feeling. Once you took jack you were going to workout or feel like your skin was crawling. Always let me know when it had kicked in too.

Guinness Snout

If you want the skin crawling feeling just buy some bulk beta alanine to mix in.  Its what cause that feeling.

Tai_Mai_Shu

I got a free sample of Labrada PE1. It's got the bug crawling under the skin feeling. It smells and taste great too. I highly recommend it.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: H&D on September 22, 2014, 09:16:47 pm

The original Jack3d was the best pre-workout ever.  It was the idiots that took 5 scoops and/or mixed it with other sups that ruined it for everyone and got DMAA banned.  DMAA is just like any other supplement out there...you have to take it as directed and not be a dumb arse.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

clutch

Quote from: The Chief on October 01, 2014, 09:05:38 am
The original Jack3d was the best pre-workout ever.  It was the idiots that took 5 scoops and/or mixed it with other sups that ruined it for everyone and got DMAA banned.  DMAA is just like any other supplement out there...you have to take it as directed and not be a dumb arse.

I can't imagine what it felt like after taking 4 or 5 scoops of that. I used to take 2 and felt like running through walls.

H&D

I took two scoops of Jackd one night at the police academy. A group of us worked out at night. Well someone upset an instructor and they closed the gym that night. I did pushups and flutter kicks for over an hour just so I could go to sleep.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

H&D

BPI Chocolate Cookie, not as good as the Banana Marshmallow Pie. It's still pretty good compared to many others out there. Mixes very easy, 5.5g of BCAA per scoop. I've never been a huge fan of chocolate anyways, so this might be the best tasting stuff out there.

Again this isn't about the science, just talking taste. I don't care how well something works, if it taste like arse I'm not choking it down for a month or so.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on October 05, 2014, 07:50:57 pm
BPI Chocolate Cookie, not as good as the Banana Marshmallow Pie. It's still pretty good compared to many others out there. Mixes very easy, 5.5g of BCAA per scoop. I've never been a huge fan of chocolate anyways, so this might be the best tasting stuff out there.

Again this isn't about the science, just talking taste. I don't care how well something works, if it taste like arse I'm not choking it down for a month or so.

I base my purchases off of taste and scoop size for pre workout. I like my pre to be able to mix and shoot down in one quick gulp. Screw that drinking a 20oz stuff. Honestly, none of it is "good" to me. Some of it just doesn't make me want to puke, so I'll buy it.

Protein is strictly a taste purchase.

Guinness Snout

Not sure what kinda protein you like, but I've been using nutrex muscle infusion and its really good.  They just have vanilla, chocolate, and C&C.  I've been getting online at Dpsnutrition.com for $37 for 5lbs tub!  Awesome deal for 60+ servings.

Tai_Mai_Shu

I tried the new 1MR Vortex. The taste was ten times better than the original 1MR. I got a sample of the blueberry lemon ice. It wasn't bad but it does leave a bitter aftertaste. The pump was decent.

clutch

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on October 09, 2014, 01:04:04 pm
I tried the new 1MR Vortex. The taste was ten times better than the original 1MR. I got a sample of the blueberry lemon ice. It wasn't bad but it does leave a bitter aftertaste. The pump was decent.

That's the flavor I have. Only complaint is that it's hard to mix. It doesn't dissolve very well so it's kind of clumpy.

H&D

What are you mixing it in? I just use a normal shaker with a ball, I haven't noticed any clumping.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on October 09, 2014, 06:55:34 pm
What are you mixing it in? I just use a normal shaker with a ball, I haven't noticed any clumping.

Left my shaker at the gym so just been using a cup and trying to stir it. It all floats to the top and won't mix. I just chug and chew.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: clutch on October 09, 2014, 09:41:37 pm
Left my shaker at the gym so just been using a cup and trying to stir it. It all floats to the top and won't mix. I just chug and chew.

Yeck!  At least get a bottle of water, and piece of paper rolled as a funnel, then shake that bad boy up.  Gotta' use ingenuity, my man.  Better than chewing up your powder sups.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

clutch

Quote from: The Chief on October 10, 2014, 09:00:07 am
Yeck!  At least get a bottle of water, and piece of paper rolled as a funnel, then shake that bad boy up.  Gotta' use ingenuity, my man.  Better than chewing up your powder sups.

Toughens you up before you hit the gym.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: clutch on October 10, 2014, 01:04:38 pm
Toughens you up before you hit the gym.

Oh, I see.  You should market that as "Paleo-supping."  You could probably make money.

clutch

Quote from: The Chief on October 10, 2014, 04:01:31 pm
Oh, I see.  You should market that as "Paleo-supping."  You could probably make money.

True. Crossfitters will buy anything that says paleo.

Polecat

Hemo Rage and Mr. Hyde are a couple supplements from Vitamin World that I really like. Lots of focus and energy
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

H&D

I couldn't get over the taste of hemo rage. I still have a half container in the cabinet. Pump was ok and energy was good. But the taste was horrible.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

H&D

Well I finally broke open the last jug of Whey-HD (vanilla caramel ice cream.) I had went to diet with more whole foods, tweeked my lower back pretty bad in Dec and had to take some time off, so the last jug lasted a long time.  I saved this jug for last because I usually don't like "caramel" flavored things.  I love caramel, just not things "flavored" like it. Kind of like I love watermelon, but not watermelon flavored things. 

Well it's pretty dang tasty. I tried it tonight with just milk after a Wendler Squat session. I'll dress it up in the morning with some peanut butter and coconut oil, hopefully they mesh that's my go to morning drink. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Ragnar Hogbrok

I've started stacking the new N.O. Explode with Syntha6 vanilla ice cream protein.  The taste is amazing.

I get a good pump from the NO Explode and energy for a longer workout, however, if you're looking for something to give you a rage akin to the original Jack3d (which I WANT BADLY), look somewhere else.  I have been gaining muscle after shoulder surgery quickly using the NO Explode/Syntha6 stack.

So, if you're looking for a good supplement to give you some energy, focus, creatine, pump, and quick recovery, the new NO Explode could be for you.

H&D

NO Explode gives me migraine headaches, even drinking a ton of water. I haven't been able to narrow down what particular ingredient does it, just that several supplements give me migraines for some reason.

After my shoulder reconstruction  (fractured lower gleniod, two screws), I recovered with insulin growth factor (deer antler velvet). My recovery was off the charts. My PT pulled me aside one day and asked if I was juicing or taking HGH. He said my muscles shouldn't have repaired at that rate and my shoulder strength and flexibility was way higher then it should have been.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on January 19, 2015, 06:36:43 pm
NO Explode gives me migraine headaches, even drinking a ton of water. I haven't been able to narrow down what particular ingredient does it, just that several supplements give me migraines for some reason.

After my shoulder reconstruction  (fractured lower gleniod, two screws), I recovered with insulin growth factor (deer antler velvet). My recovery was off the charts. My PT pulled me aside one day and asked if I was juicing or taking HGH. He said my muscles shouldn't have repaired at that rate and my shoulder strength and flexibility was way higher then it should have been.

So you actually had a good experience with deer antler velvet? I haven't ever seen any reviews that I trusted to be true. Seemed sort of far fetched to me. I may have to give it a try.

On pre's, I'm back to C4. To me, it's the next best thing to the old J3D. Started buying the pink lemonade flavor and it's amazing. It tastes just like pink lemonade.

H&D

All I can say is that the only thing I did different after my shoulder surgery was take IGF+. My PT that was with me four days a week couldn't believe how fast I was recovering. Towards the end of my PT, a lady was covering for my PT. She was from another office. I was doing pushup with my hands on a medicine ball. She told me that I shouldn't be physically able to do that, not that soon out of surgery. She said it takes people years to get to that point after an injury like mine. This was four months after the knife.

Maybe I have good recovery genetics, or maybe it was the IGF. I do know that if I suffer a similar injury I'll be back on the IGF during PT.

C4 is another one that gives me migraines.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on January 20, 2015, 10:43:50 am
All I can say is that the only thing I did different after my shoulder surgery was take IGF+. My PT that was with me four days a week couldn't believe how fast I was recovering. Towards the end of my PT, a lady was covering for my PT. She was from another office. I was doing pushup with my hands on a medicine ball. She told me that I shouldn't be physically able to do that, not that soon out of surgery. She said it takes people years to get to that point after an injury like mine. This was four months after the knife.

Maybe I have good recovery genetics, or maybe it was the IGF. I do know that if I suffer a similar injury I'll be back on the IGF during PT.

C4 is another one that gives me migraines.

I may have to give it a try just to see what it does.

Is it the NO3 that gives you migranes?

H&D

Might be, not really sure. I've take some other NO products without the migraines. I know when I took bodybuilding.com Build NO, I thought I was going to die.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on January 20, 2015, 10:49:38 am
Might be, not really sure. I've take some other NO products without the migraines. I know when I took bodybuilding.com Build NO, I thought I was going to die.

Seems like the ones that you say are giving you the headaches are the ones with the higher amounts of NO3. Or what I'm guessing is the higher amounts since they are the products that make my skin crawl the most.

H&D

I'd have to research it some more. I never had a problem with the original jackd. I used it for over a year before they took it off the market. I even picked up a couple of extras after that.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hogberry Snortcake

January 20, 2015, 02:26:50 pm #44 Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:51:07 pm by Hogberry Snortcake
I'd be curious to hear some other reports on IGF if anyone has them...  Sounds like a scam, but curious as to any anecdotal accounts.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: H&D on January 20, 2015, 12:16:23 pm
I'd have to research it some more. I never had a problem with the original jackd. I used it for over a year before they took it off the market. I even picked up a couple of extras after that.

Have you tried the new NO Explode formula?  It cuts out a lot of the crap of the old formula.  You use one much smaller scoop versus the original two large scoops.  I didn't really like the old formula, but the new one is nice.

H&D

I'll hit up some trainer buddies and get some samples of it. It's too expensive to roll the dice on a tub, it usually only takes a couple of doses to find out if I'm going to get the headaches.

I had a bad string one time and was giving away so much stuff that the guys at the pd probably thought I was stealing the stuff.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Tai_Mai_Shu

NO Xplode does nothing for me. If you want crazy pumps try Mr. Hyde

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on January 30, 2015, 10:24:32 am
NO Xplode does nothing for me. If you want crazy pumps try Mr. Hyde

The new NO Explode isn't supposed to be a sup that makes your skin crawl and make you feel like you could whoop a grizzly bear.  It's now designed for endurance and muscle growth/recovery.  You could, potentially, take NO Explode and then go jogging/running.  I'm about to try that out tonight or tomorrow.

I still wish I could get the original Jack3d.  That stuff was awesome.

H&D

Jack3d was the best performing supplement I had taken since Andro  (back in high school and my early military days). And like anything else that actually works, it's banned now.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"