Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Planter Fasciitis...

Started by Hawgzilla, June 03, 2014, 09:21:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgzilla

Anyone had planter fasciitis...Not sure on the spelling...Just woke up one morning about a month ago with soreness in my right heel...How do I treat it and will it get better soon...Thanks

Ragnar Hogbrok

Plantar fasciitis wouldn't necessarily be felt only in the heel.  It usually presents as pain and tightness alongbyhenplantar fascia which runs,  if memory serves, from the big toe to the heel.

In yhe Army, nwe usually treated it with pulling the big toe back until you feel a good stretch along the PF.  Also, resting position of the big toe is important.  You don't want it pointing downward (curled) when you sleep.  You'll notice the pain is worse when you wake up and and gets better throughout the day.

I'm no doctor, though.   If it's bad you should see one.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Hawgzilla

I have pain only in the heel...At first I thought I might have step on something outside barefoot..Thanks for the info...

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Hawgzilla on June 03, 2014, 10:04:29 am
I have pain only in the heel...At first I thought I might have step on something outside barefoot..Thanks for the info...

I'm not saying it's NOT PF.  There are a myriad of issues that could be causing pain in your heel. 

Look up info on "stone bruise."  My little brother got one at about 15 months of age and didn't walk for about 2 months after that because he was too scared to put weight on it.

I hope you get feeling better.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Hawgzilla

Thanks, that may be what is is....Im always walking outside and stepping on things....Its nothing where I can't work ir walk, just an annoying pain in my heel....Thanks for the info...

alwaysondbigscreen

ive had it, and your heel can really really hurt. what can happen is the plantar fascia can pull away from where it attaches to the heel then it reattaches. its kind of a cycle, comes loose, reataches. mild cases can heal on their own with proper care and nsaids (ie ibuprofen.) if its really bad your gonna have to have a steroid shot in your heel. THe xray of my heal had what looked like a hook coming off it heading back toward my toes from where there was  buildup from all the reattaching,  Anyway you need to wear an arch support and never go without shoes. the doctor told me to have shoes by the bed and to even wear them when i  get up to take a leak in the night.   good luck
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

Fort Dweller

I'm battling it right now.  It's taken about 2 months, but it's getting better.  Like Chief said, stretch that mother out.  That will be your best treatment.  Also, ibuprofen.

You can also take a 20 oz coke/pepsi bottle, fill it 3/4 of the way full with water, and freeze it.  Use that frozen bottle to roll your foot on.  It will help immensely since you can push down and create pressure while applying ice.

Invest in some quality shoe inserts.  This helped me just as much as stretching.

Good luck with it.  It is a pain (no pun intended).
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Hawgzilla

Im doing all of the above....it feels pretty good today....l will just give it some time and hope it heals...Thanks everyone for the imfo you have given. ..

hawgrunner

BENTON PIGGEE

Yup, heel spur and plantar fasciitis are the same thing. I am a medical professional and had it a few years ago. If it's bad, an immobilizing boot can really help. For milder cases, shoe inserts with arch supports can be enough. Don't jog or do anything to put extra pressure on your heal.

My brother-in-law is a podiatrist and was very helpful. Good luck.

Hawgzilla

I broke down and went to the foot Docter yesterday...He gave me the shot and a brace to sleep in at night....Hopefully this gets me well...Thanks for all the info and help...

acey33

Quote from: Hawgzilla on June 19, 2014, 09:39:22 am
I broke down and went to the foot Docter yesterday...He gave me the shot and a brace to sleep in at night....Hopefully this gets me well...Thanks for all the info and help...

I've had it before and the Dr. gave me a script for anti-inflam, it was still hurting when I went back (maybe a week or 10 days later) and he gave me a shot and it felt better the very next day.

Hawgzilla

He gave me both....Going back next Wed and will most likely get another shot...Its still sore but feels much better than a week ago...

The Great Hogsby

I bought a small Nerf basketball that I keep at my desk. When mine starts acting up, I roll it on the floor with my foot and it helps to relieve the pressure.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

1highhog

I've had it in both feet at the same time, lasted for over a year.  I had to have surgery on my left because it got so bad, still have problems with it from time to time.  I had mine around the same time that, dang it, can't even remember his name now, sad.  The white guy who played when Pelphery was here, he continued having it, set out a lot just about the time you thought he was going to have a breakout season.  Anyway, extremely painful, I wear special shoes with built in inserts in them, I don't have to spend as much time on ladders anymore which absolutely killed me.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: 1highhog on July 27, 2014, 06:53:27 pm
I've had it in both feet at the same time, lasted for over a year.  I had to have surgery on my left because it got so bad, still have problems with it from time to time.  I had mine around the same time that, dang it, can't even remember his name now, sad.  The white guy who played when Pelphery was here, he continued having it, set out a lot just about the time you thought he was going to have a breakout season.  Anyway, extremely painful, I wear special shoes with built in inserts in them, I don't have to spend as much time on ladders anymore which absolutely killed me.
Michael Sanchez
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

1highhog

vandybuff

I am a runner / walker and have had this for years.  The boot/like toe extension will help.  injections reduce the inflammation, but do be careful not to 'dope up and then do more damage'.  But I sadly say that mine, while much better, has never totally gone away.  And the oddity is the symptoms might occur as I casually walk in the house just as often as under more strenuous conditions.  My advise is ask a pro for the best fitting orthotics for 'all' your shoe types.

How do you permanently cure it?  You die .... and then, just to be sure, have the undertaker put the boot on before he closes the bottom half of the casket :)

Good luck.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

LSUFan

New Balance shoes helped me tremendously, haven't had a flare up in almost 3 years.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

1highhog

Quote from: LSUFan on October 01, 2014, 09:19:55 pm
New Balance shoes helped me tremendously, haven't had a flare up in almost 3 years.

That's the brand I now wear, like I said, it's not the choice of the cool kids, but a pair of Nike's or Adida's will wreck your feet if you try and work in them, they're not made for that.  They don't have any arch support at all in them.

DeltaBoy

New Balance helped me a ton.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 02, 2014, 09:08:12 am
New Balance helped me a ton.

Me too. I went to New Balance and had them fit me for the right shoe and I feel great now. I didn't realize that if you're a runner you need to buy your shoes a little big. My pain is almost completely gone now.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Tom in Fort Worth

If its a Stone Bruise this stick around for a long long time, or at least mine did. Hopefully the new shoes will help. Let us know how it shakes out. I never want to go through that again. Very hindering.  Best of luck with that.

DeltaBoy

My wife had a stone bruise that lasted nearly 6 months and she went to the Dr two times and was told put insoles in your shoes, soak them in salts and take Tylenol.

Rolling a Tennis ball or hard rubber ball with my feet helps relax them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

eusebius

I deal with PF. I have had electro shock therapy and it did decrease the inflammation and pain. It's something that you have to deal with and everybody copes with it differently and some respond to the therapy and some don't. Get some good inserts and good shoes and talk to your ortho about your options. 
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

vandybuff

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 10:34:55 am
Me too. I went to New Balance and had them fit me for the right shoe and I feel great now. I didn't realize that if you're a runner you need to buy your shoes a little big. My pain is almost completely gone now.

i am only a walker (about 25 miles per week) and I buy my shoes one size larger than my dress shoes.  Sometimes i put two insoles in them.  And whether it is luck or the shoe, I have never had a foot problem and I am 60 y old.

And you made another great point --- sometimes it takes some lost $$ and trial and error to find the best shoe.  I once tried a well known brand and they felts 'super' ..... till I walked about two miles.  I went back to the style and brand I have used for ten years and the pain went away. 
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 06, 2014, 11:37:26 pm
heel spur comes to mind to me.

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/

For anyone that has Plantar Faciitis, these folks will cure it.  I've wound up buying 6 or 7 pairs of their inserts and put them in every pair of shoes I wear and my pain is gone.  Don't worry about rolling your foot over a tennis ball or a bottle of coke, shell out the money on these and go merrily on your way.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 14, 2014, 03:08:55 pm
For anyone that has Plantar Faciitis, these folks will cure it.  I've wound up buying 6 or 7 pairs of their inserts and put them in every pair of shoes I wear and my pain is gone.  Don't worry about rolling your foot over a tennis ball or a bottle of coke, shell out the money on these and go merrily on your way.

How do they differ from the ones you can get at Wal-mart from the Dr Shoals machine.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 15, 2014, 10:38:10 am
How do they differ from the ones you can get at Wal-mart from the Dr Shoals machine.

Can't answer that DB.  All I know is that I had it so bad it was crippling.  One day at work I was hobbling along and a nurse noticed me and recommended these inserts and said it had cured him and others.  Bought a set and I've never been without them and I'm totally pain free.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

I will have to give them a try.

LL COOL HOG

Has anyone had numbness in the foot and leg while working out?  Along with the foot pain.

LSUFan

Quote from: LL COOL HOG on November 13, 2014, 09:18:36 pm
Has anyone had numbness in the foot and leg while working out?  Along with the foot pain.
Sometimes when I was laying down, not when walking.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

I have when my sciatic nerve is acting up!

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 14, 2014, 08:46:28 am
I have when my sciatic nerve is acting up!

Ugh that's on my other side.

DeltaBoy

It can affect both sides according to my Chiropractor.

hawgrunner

Happens when I run at about mile 3 or 4.

LL COOL HOG

It was about 3 miles for me. The pain got so bad, I just quit now my cloths are too tight :)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LL COOL HOG on November 18, 2014, 02:00:43 pm
It was about 3 miles for me. The pain got so bad, I just quit now my cloths are too tight :)

OUCH!

Dr. Starcs

Anyone try those inserts Boarcephus talked about?

I'm about willing to try them.

DeltaBoy

Inserts , stretching and some Tylenol have done my feet wonders.

Dr. Starcs

What kind of inserts delta?  I have dr scholls and they don't seem to help that much.

hawgrunner

Darren DeLoach

Having surgery on mine next month. I was running 40-50 miles a week. Have only ran sparingly to test it out since October. I popped mine, and nothing seems to help for long. I want to run again. I would be okay without the surgery, but the thought of nearly no real running activity is just hard to imagine. So surgery it is for me...
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 18, 2016, 03:58:55 pm
What kind of inserts delta?  I have dr scholls and they don't seem to help that much.
These are the two I have been using .

I get mine at Academy Sports
But most Drug Stores handle them too.
Spenco Insoles

Sof Sole Performance Insoles

They are way better than the best Dr Scholls ones for my feet

Darren DeLoach

Had surgery Tuesday. Goin go be a long road back. But looking forward to being pain free again.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

hawgrunner

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on March 17, 2016, 03:01:57 pm
Had surgery Tuesday. Goin go be a long road back. But looking forward to being pain free again.

Looking like we both were in surgery lately... prayers for you recovery.
I'm walking but no riding or running for a while.

Hogberry Snortcake

PF just won't go away.  Going to the minimalist Nikes caused it.  They were so light and comfortable until I couldn't walk in the mornings.  Back in NB's, but I can't heal enough to go consistently.  Icing every night and Ibu.  Trying to avoid the podiatrist if I can. 

It's frustrating.  Always been my claim to fame was I've been pretty bulletproof.  Made up for lack of athleticism by being always available.  ha. 

Darren DeLoach

Same thing happened when I went to minimalist shoes. Except, mine burst. Go see the podiatrist. A good one. Ask around. They will get the inflammation down, and hopefully turn you on to the right shoes or running supplier. Trust ne, go now and let them work the issue before it gets much worse.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on March 20, 2016, 12:04:49 am
Same thing happened when I went to minimalist shoes. Except, mine burst. Go see the podiatrist. A good one. Ask around. They will get the inflammation down, and hopefully turn you on to the right shoes or running supplier. Trust ne, go now and let them work the issue before it gets much worse.

Common sense that I probably needed to hear.  Appreciate it.

IronHog

https://www.spenco.com/category.aspx?catid=2

Spenco makes very good orthotics.  Their classics run 25$ and work well for most people.

These with the right new balance or Brooks shoes will properly support the foot in most individuals.

Minimalist shoes are fine if you young and have a high arch.....otherwise they should be avoided.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.