Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Running Thread

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, July 31, 2013, 06:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rudebaker

while reading this thread I see a lot about the amount of distance/time people are running.  You must pay just as much attention to rest and recovery.  Having run 5 marathons (including Boston), I have found out the hard way about not resting and overtraining.   Just something to keep in mind...

hawgrunner

I take a min of two to three days week off running.

Coondog Hog

I try to go 4 days a week, that's plenty 😃
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Pulled(PP)pork

Not much, just a cup of milk and a granola bar

Pulled out....

Tai_Mai_Shu

I was doing three miles as part of my daily routine. You guys inspired me to "take it up another notch".

Pulled(PP)pork

I was running every other day, until this week.  I was bored looking for something to do on my days off, lol

PP

PintailKiller

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 12, 2013, 06:01:53 am
Wow!  what a difference a little protein and carbs makes prior to my run.  I was feeling real good during the whole thing, breathing was eased....just felt flawless.

4.38mi/45mins

PP

Awesome - I try to get a banana in me before running, sometimes a granola bar.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

PintailKiller

I rest when my body tells me to.  There are many days I run in the morning and walk at night with my wife.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Pulled(PP)pork

yeah, so far my body is handling it well, no abnormal or prolonged aches or pain.  I add Ab Ripper X (P90X) on my off days, or the days that aren't scheduled for a run by my RunKeeper app.

PP

Coondog Hog

Here is what my last few days have looked like.  Trying hard to make it part of my lifestyle instead of a short term fad.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

Pulled(PP)pork

very good!  how did you do that by the way??

I took today off from running, just didn't have the gas yesterday during my scheduled 2.5mi run and thought I might be overtraining it.  I missed it immensly.  I try to alternate my scheduled runs with fat burning on my off days, but tend to get my heartrate up too high to be effective.

I have put 5lbs back on since I dipped to 199, not sure if thats' good weight or sloppy eating....

PP

Coondog Hog

I use map my run to keep track of my workouts.  I don't trust the calorie burn on it though.  From May 2010 to late June 2013 I didn't jog a half mile total.  After losing a big chunk of my weight I thought I needed to try. I went 1.7 miles and here I am a month and a half later.  I feel blessed that I've been able to get to this point at this pace. I will say that 33 feels a lot different than 23, but I am in the best shape of my adult life right now.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Pulled(PP)pork

ok, I use Run Keeper and not sure if keeps accurate data for calorie burn, but I like the numbers I see.

I'm 42 and would like to feel like 32

PP

Coondog Hog

Here is what I use for my calories I can select walking or running and net or gross calories.  This in conjunction with map my run has worked well for me.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

PintailKiller

I used to use Nike +, but changed to RunKeeper in June and I am pleased with what I am getting out of it so far.
I also like that it can track various cardio activities and keep them separate such as walking and running.
Keep up the good work guys.

Hogbody

Have 55 bug bites, so not running today

Next scheduled day is  Wednesday so hoping to be up for it then

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PintailKiller on August 19, 2013, 05:39:51 pm
I used to use Nike +, but changed to RunKeeper in June and I am pleased with what I am getting out of it so far.
I also like that it can track various cardio activities and keep them separate such as walking and running.
Keep up the good work guys.
nothing beats "Free"

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

what is ailing you at the moment?

me: sore left calf and the knees tend to gripe at me on my longer runs.

PP

PintailKiller

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 24, 2013, 09:33:52 am

PP

Right knee (I was a catcher thru college and arthritis kills my knee).
No other issues.

PintailKiller

On a separate note - what shoes do you run in?  I run in Hoka's and have Brooks Beast as my back up pair.

Hogbody

Rocking some pair of asics

Probably get some Brooks Ghost here pretty soon

Coondog Hog

I've some how pulled a muscle in my back from my right shoulder blade down to the middle of my back.  I have 4 pairs of running shoes I alternate out I never wear the same pair in consecutive runs. I'm a shoe whore. 

My favorites.
Adidas Marathon 10
Adidas Clima Cool
Reebok Smooth Flex
Reebok Real Flex
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PintailKiller on August 24, 2013, 06:37:33 pm
On a separate note - what shoes do you run in?  I run in Hoka's and have Brooks Beast as my back up pair.
Just got a pair of Brooks Ghost 6 for my bday, with $40 insoles that you can mold to your feet.

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

I got my 5mi in yesterday, first time evah with that distance.  I really can tell a difference between eating oatmeal and eating pbj sammich prior to my runs.  the latter helps me a bunch more....or maybe it's the Gatorade energy chews that I take also.

PP

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 25, 2013, 09:13:40 am
I got my 5mi in yesterday, first time evah with that distance.  I really can tell a difference between eating oatmeal and eating pbj sammich prior to my runs.  the latter helps me a bunch more....or maybe it's the Gatorade energy chews that I take also.

PP

I like those Gatorade Prims for cardio type workouts. They don't hype you up like a preworkout, but you can definitely tell once you are doing your workout that they give you a little more to get through.

Also, I started again on the L-Arginine. I'm a firm believer in that stuff. It really does keep you from tiring out as fast.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on August 25, 2013, 11:53:25 am
I like those Gatorade Prims for cardio type workouts. They don't hype you up like a preworkout, but you can definitely tell once you are doing your workout that they give you a little more to get through.

Also, I started again on the L-Arginine. I'm a firm believer in that stuff. It really does keep you from tiring out as fast.
Im going to try that stuff.....any side effects like gas, belching, bad breath?

PP

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 25, 2013, 12:25:32 pm
Im going to try that stuff.....any side effects like gas, belching, bad breath?

PP

Nope. At least not for me. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Coondog Hog

L- Argnine is the shizz as far as this fat boy is concerned.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 25, 2013, 03:09:05 pm
answer your pm sucka!

PP

I just did. It wasn't showing up for some reason as a new message.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 25, 2013, 03:35:31 pm
L- Argnine is the shizz as far as this fat boy is concerned.
how much and how soon prior to a run?

PP

Coondog Hog

I take 3 grams 20-40 mins before I start. At about 10-15 mins in my legs go into auto pilot and I'm gold for the next 60- 90 mins.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 24, 2013, 09:33:52 am

PP

"Piriformis Syndrome" but working some good stretching and getting some more time in on the foam roller.

Pulled(PP)pork

Awww lawd, another syndrome to deal with, lol

Pulled out...

Pulled(PP)pork

Ammonia......as in sweat smelling like ammonia, because mine does.  My running has been going fine, getting down to the last few workouts before my first 5k, and noticed this.

anyone else?  tips?

Pulled out...

PintailKiller

Whats your first 5K PP?
I'm doing the Paws on the Pavement 5K in LR Saturday.

Hogbody

Quote from: PintailKiller on September 06, 2013, 10:48:31 am
Whats your first 5K PP?
I'm doing the Paws on the Pavement 5K in LR Saturday.

I kinda wanted to do that.  Instead I'm just going to run 8 miles early and then tailgate all day

Pulled(PP)pork

Im running the "Race so they can ride" 5k on 9/21 in Jackson Tn

PP

PintailKiller

I'm also going to do the Komen "Race for the Cure" 5K since they'll let men participate now.

Boll Hawg

Just seeing this thread, so allow me to contribute my $.02.

I'm 32, 5'10, about 190-ish.  I really do enjoy running, but running doesn't like me.  I'm in the Nat'l Guard and have to run 1.5 miles in under 14 minutes.  And boy do I struggle.  Prior to my last fitness test I installed the RunKeeper app on my phone (love it, by the way) and ran every other day for about 3 months.  I could never get past 2 miles.  Ever!  I'd be totally gassed after 6 times around the track.  I'd then alternate running/walking for another 20 minutes or so or even run the bleachers.  Never could get my stamina up.  The only thing that I can positively say worked was doing burpees.  My 1.5 mile run time dropped significantly after implementing them into my workouts.  I also never dropped ANY weight.  None.  My diet is far from perfect though, and about 2hrs. after running I'd have a ferocious appetite and eat junk. 

Anyways, I had these results for my fitness test last month:
36" waist circumference
63 pushups (60 seconds)
58 sit-ups (60 seconds)
13:33 1.5 mile run 
And I barely passed.  As I get older it's getting rougher and rougher. 

What's wrong with me?     
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boll Hawg on September 12, 2013, 12:13:03 pm
Just seeing this thread, so allow me to contribute my $.02.

I'm 32, 5'10, about 190-ish.  I really do enjoy running, but running doesn't like me.  I'm in the Nat'l Guard and have to run 1.5 miles in under 14 minutes.  And boy do I struggle.  Prior to my last fitness test I installed the RunKeeper app on my phone (love it, by the way) and ran every other day for about 3 months.  I could never get past 2 miles.  Ever!  I'd be totally gassed after 6 times around the track.  I'd then alternate running/walking for another 20 minutes or so or even run the bleachers.  Never could get my stamina up.  The only thing that I can positively say worked was doing burpees.  My 1.5 mile run time dropped significantly after implementing them into my workouts.  I also never dropped ANY weight.  None.  My diet is far from perfect though, and about 2hrs. after running I'd have a ferocious appetite and eat junk. 

Anyways, I had these results for my fitness test last month:
36" waist circumference
63 pushups (60 seconds)
58 sit-ups (60 seconds)
13:33 1.5 mile run 
And I barely passed.  As I get older it's getting rougher and rougher. 

What's wrong with me?     
first off, thanks for your service....and I'm not an expert, by any means.

You may not be getting enough carbs prior to your working out, as I suffered from the same thing, until others in here suggested tips.  You will most likely have to cut out on at least half of the bad stuff if you intend to lose weight.  I cut back on sodas and sugar laden carbs, losing approx 11lbs.

that's a beginning

PP

Tai_Mai_Shu

Does anybody take pre-workout supplement for running? I tried once and it wasn't great.

PintailKiller

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on September 12, 2013, 01:37:11 pm
Does anybody take pre-workout supplement for running? I tried once and it wasn't great.

I am currently trying Shred Matrix, after reading some reviews on it and seeing people talk about getting an energy shot after taking it.
So far, not much luck for me.
A banana, a spoonful of peanut butter and a spoonful of honey seem to work best for me about 20 minutes before beginning.

PORKULATOR

I run between 3.5 & 5 miles 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I'll run some shorter distances cross country, but I do it in a 3/4 speed run and sprint the last 400meters or so.
I hate to run as much as I like it. Weird huh?
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PORKULATOR on September 15, 2013, 07:34:57 pm
I run between 3.5 & 5 miles 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I'll run some shorter distances cross country, but I do it in a 3/4 speed run and sprint the last 400meters or so.
I hate to run as much as I like it. Weird huh?
sounds like me on that last comment.  while I'm running I talking myself into keep going, but then at the end I wonder how it went by so fast, lol

PP

Delicious~Dreams

I recently started running again at the encouragement of a good friend.  It has been wonderful but I admit I had a false sense of how outta shape I actually was.

I have always walked and worked out to keep tone and am not overweight.   However, running is a different type of conditioning for my lungs, heart and everywhere else it seems! Lol!

Trying to be able to run 5Ks and then build to 15 to 20 miles if possible. :)

hawgrunner

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on September 18, 2013, 05:16:36 pm
I recently started running again at the encouragement of a good friend.  It has been wonderful but I admit I had a false sense of how outta shape I actually was.

I have always walked and worked out to keep tone and am not overweight.   However, running is a different type of conditioning for my lungs, heart and everywhere else it seems! Lol!

Trying to be able to run 5Ks and then build to 15 to 20 miles if possible. :)

On your build up to 15 or 20 miles runs remember the 10% rule for your inceases in mileage and you'll be there in no time.

Pulled(PP)pork

my official 5k in 2 days, understand there are some big hills involved.....weeeeeee

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 19, 2013, 01:39:49 pm
my official 5k in 2 days, understand there are some big hills involved.....weeeeeee

PP

Good Luck!!