Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Running Thread

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, July 31, 2013, 06:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: rock642 on September 19, 2013, 12:51:10 pm
On your build up to 15 or 20 miles runs remember the 10% rule for your inceases in mileage and you'll be there in no time.

Forgive me please but what is the 10% rule?    I'm a little new to all the terms and lingo.

I hope you are right and Thank you very much for the advice and help.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on September 19, 2013, 07:36:48 pm
Forgive me please but what is the 10% rule?    I'm a little new to all the terms and lingo.

I hope you are right and Thank you very much for the advice and help.

In your weekly total mileage ran don't increase more than 10% from one week to the next.
So week 1 you run a total of 10 mile, then week 2 it should be only around 11 miles total ran.
Another example would be one week your run 22 miles then next only increase to only 24 miles.
This is not law but a good starting point and helps keep injury free in the early days of running.

hilljack

Has anyone had to deal with achillies tendonitis?  I've been a pretty avid runner for years and about 4 months ago, I started getting really bad pain in my right heel.  The docs said that my symptoms clearly reveal achillies tendonitis.  He prescribed motrin (I'm military so they give "Vitamin M" for just about everything) and rest.  I've done the rest thing, but after 4 months of not running and sticking to swimming and cycling, the pain is still there.  I recently tried the heel out on a short (about 3 mile) run and it hurt like a SOB. 

My shoes are new/high quality runners that fit correctly.  Been wearing Brooks for years, so I don't think shoes are the culprit.

Anyone have advice to heal the 'ol kankle?

hawgrunner

Quote from: hilljack on September 20, 2013, 12:55:50 pm
Has anyone had to deal with achillies tendonitis?  I've been a pretty avid runner for years and about 4 months ago, I started getting really bad pain in my right heel.  The docs said that my symptoms clearly reveal achillies tendonitis.  He prescribed motrin (I'm military so they give "Vitamin M" for just about everything) and rest.  I've done the rest thing, but after 4 months of not running and sticking to swimming and cycling, the pain is still there.  I recently tried the heel out on a short (about 3 mile) run and it hurt like a SOB. 

My shoes are new/high quality runners that fit correctly.  Been wearing Brooks for years, so I don't think shoes are the culprit.

How is your calf stretching doing?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hilljack on September 20, 2013, 12:55:50 pm

I've had similar problems, rest and time are the only things that work for me....and proper stretching.

Pulled out...

Pulled(PP)pork

1st 5K completed, 27:17 was my time.  and those hills were HUUUUUUUGE!  I was going to be happy with 30:00, but my goal was 25:00.

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 21, 2013, 10:18:35 am
1st 5K completed, 27:17 was my time.  and those hills were HUUUUUUUGE!  I was going to be happy with 30:00, but my goal was 25:00.

PP

Great Job!!

Delicious~Dreams

Thanks rock!    Congrats on your Run Pulled Pork, that's good time.  You beat mine by about 20 sec.   I ran my first 5k as well Saturday.  It was so much fun being able to meet a personal goal plus support a great cause!  I'm officially hooked!  :)

Pulled(PP)pork

my wife pointed out to me that a 13yo bested me, I don't doubt it, lol

PP

Snoutmaster

First off this is a great thread, lots of good info on here...Anybody got good apps for an iPhone that will track distance covered?  Tried the Nike one on my phone but can't get it calibrated...

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Snoutmaster on September 22, 2013, 08:37:30 pm
First off this is a great thread, lots of good info on here...Anybody got good apps for an iPhone that will track distance covered?  Tried the Nike one on my phone but can't get it calibrated...

Mapmyrun.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Pulled(PP)pork

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Snoutmaster on September 22, 2013, 08:37:30 pm

Runkeeper works pretty well and is free.  The GPS can be a bit off sometimes. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boll Hawg on September 23, 2013, 11:07:40 am
Runkeeper works pretty well and is free.  The GPS can be a bit off often.
fyp, but I still like the app

PP

hawgrunner

I used mapmyrun before I got my Garmin.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 23, 2013, 12:44:04 pm
fyp, but I still like the app

PP

This is true.  I routinely ran at the track, 4 times around & RunKeeper would typically give me only .88 miles.  That throws off the whole pace per mile, average mph and everything else.  But hey, it's free. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Snoutmaster

Thanks for the app advice, I tried them both on my run this evening and they were both close on distance... 2.74 and 2.79 mi....anyways both seem to be solid apps

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Snoutmaster on September 23, 2013, 07:31:10 pm
Thanks for the app advice, I tried them both on my run this evening and they were both close on distance... 2.74 and 2.79 mi....anyways both seem to be solid apps
RunKeeper has additional stuff that I like.  Training for specifics.

going to start again, sunday, but this time for weight loss.  i need to get rid of these pesky 10 last pounds.

PP

Coondog Hog

I hit a new max for myself today 10.25 miles in 2hrs 1 minute.  I'm a slow mofo, but my stamina is getting better.  Still a big jump left to a half marathon for this guy.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Pulled(PP)pork

meh, I'm just running my 5k practically every other day.  Good job Coondog!  I have yet to eclipse 5.5mi.  I need to find some new routes, to make it interesting.

Pulled out....

hawgrunner

Quote from: Coondog Hog on October 05, 2013, 05:17:34 pm
I hit a new max for myself today 10.25 miles in 2hrs 1 minute.  I'm a slow mofo, but my stamina is getting better.  Still a big jump left to a half marathon for this guy.

Good job!

PintailKiller

Nice job PP, DD, and Coondog. 
I haven't run in 3 weeks now, pulled a rib cage muscle and it kills when I tried.  Hoping it is better so I can do the Kohman 5K on the 19th - since they are letting men run in it now....
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Pulled(PP)pork

I've hit a wall, so I am going to get my T level checked today and see if that's the culprit

PP

RazrRila99

Y'all are just showoffs in this thread :).  Seriously though, I just restarted running starting small 1.5mi 4-5x/week.  Going to work back up to 5k then MAYBE 10k. I aint going to get all crazy and go for a 50k (rock you one crazy mofo). 

rudebaker

if you can run 10 miles you can most certainly run a half marathon.  you need to take in calories when running.  I use GU gels but there are several products out there that provide energy while running.  next time you run10 miles take a gel at 4 and 8 miles and see how you feel at the end.  my guess is you will feel like going more.  also don't forget to take a mouthful of water every 10 mins.  if you haven't been doing this you will see a huge jump in performance and confidence.

Piggage

I recently got back into running a few weeks ago after 7 years of making excuses to myself for not doing it. It's more fun than I remember! I used to run 5Ks in the 23-24 minute range. This Monday, I timed myself at 27:54.

I'm carrying around 15-20 pounds that I didn't have 7 years ago, so getting rid of that will help. My knees are definitely feeling it, but everything else is fine. The only thing that slows me down is the only thing that slowed me down before: lung capacity.

Delicious~Dreams

Lung capacity has given me problems as well.   I have to break for a minute to breathe and it is very frustrating!  My legs feel really weak after running hills.  I weigh around 125 pnds but I can't seem to get my times faster than around 8:30-9:30min miles.  Endurance to run further is my biggest challenge right now.   Good thing I'm to stubborn to give up!

I would love to do a mud run etc.   

Hogbody

Got 13 miles planned for tomorrow morning before work

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogbody on October 11, 2013, 03:41:48 pm
Got 13 miles planned for tomorrow morning before work

let us know how it goes.

Pulled(PP)pork

Made a big mistake and ran 4.3mi yesterday on an empty stomach in 92 degree weather

lesson learned...

PP

Hogbody

Quote from: rock642 on October 11, 2013, 08:48:09 pm
let us know how it goes.

It went alright considering the temp and humidity. Got done just before storm hit in Little Rock. Would have liked a little faster

(Yes that's a popcorn hog mat)

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 12, 2013, 07:29:46 am
Made a big mistake and ran 4.3mi yesterday on an empty stomach in 92 degree weather

lesson learned...

PP

It was 92 in Jackson? It was in the low to mid 80's here. Felt great.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogbody on October 12, 2013, 08:33:29 am
It went alright considering the temp and humidity. Got done just before storm hit in Little Rock. Would have liked a little faster

Good pace though. Nice Garmin... I got the same one.

Hogbody

Quote from: rock642 on October 12, 2013, 02:33:10 pm
Good pace though. Nice Garmin... I got the same one.

Thanks I love it. Won't run without it anymore

Race in 2 weeks

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hogbody on October 12, 2013, 08:33:29 am

that have Bluetooth capabilities?

PP

Hogbody

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 12, 2013, 04:43:49 pm
that have Bluetooth capabilities?

PP

What do you mean by Bluetooth?

There's a USB that plugs into your computer and I think it connects to that to transfer info

hawgrunner

Yea, the Garmin has wireless connect via ANT + enable USB stick. You then can upload all your data to Garmin connect's web site.
http://connect.garmin.com/
It will give you more data than you could ever what when it comes to your workouts.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hogbody on October 12, 2013, 08:07:34 pm
What do you mean by Bluetooth?

There's a USB that plugs into your computer and I think it connects to that to transfer info
does it transfer your data to a phone app?  in real time?  my brother in law has a Garmin and I believe his does that.

btw, how much was your particular model and did it come with the chest strap?

PP

Hogbody

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 13, 2013, 07:26:47 am
does it transfer your data to a phone app?  in real time?  my brother in law has a Garmin and I believe his does that.

btw, how much was your particular model and did it come with the chest strap?

PP

Not to the phone, just the computer like rock stated above

Yes to the chest strap

It was pretty pricey when I got mine, but now it looks like it can be found for < $100 on eBay. I'd gladly spend that if mine quit working

Pulled(PP)pork

ahhh, ok, I'm looking for something easier to deal with.  as of right now, I carry my phone in my hand as I run, while it keeps track of the same things your watch does along with a map of my routes.

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 13, 2013, 09:42:08 am
ahhh, ok, I'm looking for something easier to deal with.  as of right now, I carry my phone in my hand as I run, while it keeps track of the same things your watch does along with a map of my routes.

PP

you looking for a phone app. or something to hold your phone?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: rock642 on October 13, 2013, 02:48:10 pm
you looking for a phone app. or something to hold your phone?
have both of those, was thinking there was a product out there that sent my stats in real time to my phone as I ran.  of course my phone would have to be in the case attached to my arm.

like the Garmin Forerunner 310

PP

hawgrunner

I thought mapmyrun app. did give you real time data... ?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: rock642 on October 13, 2013, 03:14:04 pm
I thought mapmyrun app. did give you real time data... ?
but I'm looking for heart rate during my run, so I can adjust my pace accordingly.

PP

Hogbody

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 13, 2013, 03:15:10 pm
but I'm looking for heart rate during my run, so I can adjust my pace accordingly.

PP

Why do you need it to go to your phone? Just curious

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hogbody on October 13, 2013, 03:47:39 pm
Why do you need it to go to your phone? Just curious
don't think I need it, but it is a neat function, from what I understand about it.  my phone is my internet, no home computer to speak of. 

PP

Delicious~Dreams

Mapmyrun lets you buy a sensor and it includes the MVP membership or it did.   You might check into it.    Also, it will allow your Garmin to upload your workouts as well. 

hawgrunner