Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Running Thread

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, July 31, 2013, 06:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

I'm creating this thread for the novice/experienced/expert runners.  I hope this can be a source of information and encouragement.  I personally am just a novice but always liked the energy that running creates and the "runners high".  I believe running should be about fun, exercise and all-around health.
Lets introduce ourselves just a little bit (age, weight, goals) so we can invest a little of ourselves.....mmmmk?

So, lets get this started! <starters pistol>

edit: I hope to get Douglas to sticky this so it's easy to post/find.

Pulled out...

Pulled(PP)pork

I'm 42 next week, about 209lbs at 6ft 1.  I always try to maintain a bit of health, but really let it go recently.  My goal is to get down to 190-195lbs and eventually work up to a half or full marathon, in a few yrs of course.   :P

just completed workout 6 of 28, enroute to my first 5K.  I personally use RunKeeper app on my android, and it does pretty well, but also has some bugs.

now on to a couple rounds of golf.

hawgrunner

Great thread! I love to run.

Hogberry Snortcake

I know its cliche at this point, but I really seem to feel better and get as much physical benefit (weight mgmt, cardio, etc) from shorter, high intensity stuff.  Lots of intervals (100s, 200s, 300s) and less slogging.  But I lift quite a bit as well, and no one would accuse me of having a lanky, runner's build. 

hawgrunner

I enjoy the distance runs like 16 to 20 miles.

clutch

I don't even like 16-20 mile drives. I prefer to get things done and over with. Intervals for me. High intensity, get it done, get it over with.

Pulled(PP)pork

I'm no where near lanky, but I do wonder, do they get lanky from all of that running or they already were. 

I love the running high, doesn't always happen, but when it does.....wow!

I am going to FleetFeet Sports this weekend in NashVegas, will hopefully get some proper fitting shoes for my running style......I am told that is very important.

Pulled out...

hawgrunner

The 16 mile run went well today. Following up with a recovery run of 8 miles before Church tomorrow morning.

Pulled(PP)pork

I got my shoes yesterday,Brooks Ghost 6, they threw in a pair of socks and some string locks. I ran this morning with them, 4.12mi,  and my feet are sore, lol.

Pulled out...

Coondog Hog

I've got into jogging/ running in the last month or so ran my first 5K Saturday been running about 4 days a week.  I've lost 101 lbs. since Jan 3rd.  I'm trying to make running part of my new lifestyle.  So far I've logged 21 miles in the last 8 days.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Hogbody

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 04, 2013, 11:12:37 am
I got my shoes yesterday,Brooks Ghost 6, they threw in a pair of socks and some string locks. I ran this morning with them, 4.12mi,  and my feet are sore, lol.

Pulled out...

Had some brooks ghost 2 last year that I ran my first half marathon in, loved them. Probably gonna get some more

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 05, 2013, 10:57:52 pm
I've got into jogging/ running in the last month or so ran my first 5K Saturday been running about 4 days a week.  I've lost 101 lbs. since Jan 3rd.  I'm trying to make running part of my new lifestyle.  So far I've logged 21 miles in the last 8 days.

101 pound in 7 months ???  That's amazing. What did you start at and where are you now?

Coondog Hog

Yeah 7 months no exaggerating I was 354 and now I'm down to 253. It's took some discipline and habit changing, but it's changed my life.  When I got to about 80 lbs lost I started doing cardio and now here I am.  I'd like to get down between 200 and 225.  then i 'll change my caloric intake back to maintenance levels.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

Hogbody

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 05, 2013, 11:16:05 pm
Yeah 7 months no exaggerating I was 354 and now I'm down to 253. It's took some discipline and habit changing, but it's changed my life.  When I got to about 80 lbs lost I started doing cardio and now here I am.  I'd like to get down between 200 and 225.  then i 'll change my caloric intake back to maintenance levels.

Props to you sir. That is very impressive and no small feat to change your lifestyle like that. If only more people could have your same will power!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 05, 2013, 10:57:52 pm
wow!  great going!!  That's pretty quick on the 5k, but what do I know, being a novice myself.  I'm going to follow my RunKeeper app, last time I tried doing this on my own, I developed tendonitis in my achilles and it stopped me cold.

again, great going on all of that!

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hogbody on August 05, 2013, 11:03:57 pm
Had some brooks ghost 2 last year that I ran my first half marathon in, loved them. Probably gonna get some more
Yeah, not a fan of spending that kind of money on anything other than tools or golf equipment, but if it reduces injuries, I'm all for it.

It was funny how they equate the amount of use you get by mileage.  caught me off guard.

PP

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 06, 2013, 05:16:40 am
wow!  great going!!  That's pretty quick on the 5k, but what do I know, being a novice myself.  I'm going to follow my RunKeeper app, last time I tried doing this on my own, I developed tendonitis in my achilles and it stopped me cold.

again, great going on all of that!

PP
Thanks man.  I agree with your approach find your pace and don't over do it.  Setting a record and being too sore to do anything else for a week is not the way to go.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Darren DeLoach

5ft 10

Began running last year. Enjoy it a lot. I have always been an athletic, bulky, weight lifting type. Never thought that i would run but....

Lost about 50lbs over the last couple years.  Hope to run in a marathon soon. Have ran a marathon on my own. Run my ifst competitive half marathon in October. 
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Pulled(PP)pork

I love running too, after it's completed, sometimes, lol.  I actually miss running on my between days, feels like I am slowing myself down.  But again, don't want to invite trouble with overtraining.  My brother in law has run a few marathons and consistantly runs between 5-15mi per day.  I will get there, but I need to realize how much time that takes also.

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Pulled(PP)pork

moving along progressively, cutting my times down on the mileage run.  45min run coming up on monday morning.

Pulled out...

Hogbody

Getting a 4 miler in sometime today

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hogbody on August 10, 2013, 08:58:48 am
Getting a 4 miler in sometime today
ewww, that's monday's workout for me.

btw, anyone tried the gatorade energy chews?  not sure they helped me.  and does anyone recommend something about 15-20 minutes before a run?

PP

hawgrunner

For a run under 45min. you don't need anything outside of just being hydrated.

Hogbody

I like Gu products, but only use them on long days or races

Pulled(PP)pork

ok, thanks.  My run this morning was 18min/2mi, so I thought I would give them a shot since I jump out of bed and go right to my run.

PP

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 10, 2013, 10:25:46 am
ewww, that's monday's workout for me.

btw, anyone tried the gatorade energy chews?  not sure they helped me.  and does anyone recommend something about 15-20 minutes before a run?

PP

I like the fruit punch gatorade chews. I think I just like them for their taste more than energy though. I feel like they give me a small amount of energy, just enough to get me to the gym to lift. I really prefer preworkout drinks, but with my job I don't get to go to the gym until 7:30 every night. So when I drink preworkout drinks I'm up all night.

The worst part about not drinking the preworkout drinks was not having the NO3 in my system for better pumps. I started taking L-Argenine though and it helps with that.

Pulled(PP)pork

there used to be a drink called "jolt" or something like that, when I used to attend a gym.  damn stuff had me running like a rat on acid.  I might check it out again.

PP

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 10, 2013, 03:25:33 pm
there used to be a drink called "jolt" or something like that, when I used to attend a gym.  damn stuff had me running like a rat on acid.  I might check it out again.

PP

The best stuff I ever had was the old Jack3d formula. It got outlawed though so they had to change it. The newer stuff is still good, but not near as good as the old stuff was. I swear it was cocaine or something.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on August 10, 2013, 04:37:34 pm
The best stuff I ever had was the old Jack3d formula. It got outlawed though so they had to change it. The newer stuff is still good, but not near as good as the old stuff was. I swear it was cocaine or something.
that was it, knew it started with a "J".  it's been years since I had it, only did half the can and WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

PP

PintailKiller

6'4 270 46yo - down from 312 on 2/28/12 - thats the day I started running.
Played baseball through college and was forced to run then - so I hated it for a long time.
Done a couple of 5Ks.  Was working towards the 1/2 marathon last Feb, but hurt my hip on a 8 miler last Thanksgiving morning and that set me back a ways.  Getting back to 80+ miles a month now.
Gonna go for the 1/2 again this March.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Coondog Hog

I ran for 1:23 today made it 7.3 miles both are new maxes for me.  I'll never be a speed demon, but I do a pretty good job of pacing myself to make it to my goal destination thus far.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PintailKiller on August 10, 2013, 08:51:04 pm
6'4 270 46yo - down from 312 on 2/28/12 - thats the day I started running.
Played baseball through college and was forced to run then - so I hated it for a long time.
Done a couple of 5Ks.  Was working towards the 1/2 marathon last Feb, but hurt my hip on a 8 miler last Thanksgiving morning and that set me back a ways.  Getting back to 80+ miles a month now.
Gonna go for the 1/2 again this March.
keep it up, man, the pounds just fall off, I've experienced.

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 10, 2013, 10:46:51 pm
I ran for 1:23 today made it 7.3 miles both are new maxes for me.  I'll never be a speed demon, but I do a pretty good job of pacing myself to make it to my goal destination thus far.
yeah, would love to get to that point in the near future.  I was always the slow fat kid in hs (175lbs, lol).  but with running for distance, time is a second thought for now. 

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

How early do you get up before a run?  how much do you eat, or do you take supplements to help with your energy levels during a prolonged run??

PP

Coondog Hog

I like to run about 30 minutes after getting up on an empty stomach.  I'll usually pop about 3 grams of L- Arginine right after my feet hit the bedroom floor.  I can't prove it helps, but my legs never seem to go dead on me.  Running of an evening doesn't bother me to much either,  I just try to make sure it's way after lunch and before my evening meal.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 11, 2013, 08:16:52 am
I like to run about 30 minutes after getting up on an empty stomach.  I'll usually pop about 3 grams of L- Arginine right after my feet hit the bedroom floor.  I can't prove it helps, but my legs never seem to go dead on me.  Running of an evening doesn't bother me to much either,  I just try to make sure it's way after lunch and before my evening meal.
aight, my brother in law who is a marathoner, said to eat a half cup of oats, banana or protein bar about 30-45mins before my run.  that puts me getting out of bed about 4:15, ugh

PP

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 11, 2013, 09:18:42 am
aight, my brother in law who is a marathoner, said to eat a half cup of oats, banana or protein bar about 30-45mins before my run.  that puts me getting out of bed about 4:15, ugh

PP

That is probably the right way, I just hate the bloat that seems to come to me with food on my stomach while exercising.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Atreyu

I'm sorry, but I have to put this out here. Doing cardio on any type of preworkout is a horrible idea. A guy in my squadron had 3 consecutive heart attacks and was dead for a few minutes before being revived. At 24 years of age, his taking preworkouts and running made him have 3 CONSECUTIVE MASSIVE heart attacks.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Atreyu on August 11, 2013, 11:01:19 am
I'm sorry, but I have to put this out here. Doing cardio on any type of preworkout is a horrible idea. A guy in my squadron had 3 consecutive heart attacks and was dead for a few minutes before being revived. At 24 years of age, his taking preworkouts and running made him have 3 CONSECUTIVE MASSIVE heart attacks.
Im going to disagree on that....probably has extensive history in the family with coronary heart disease.

and massive heart attacks at 24yrs of age result in death, typically

this is not me saying I advocate "preworkouts", but if he was in the military, he had to already be somewhat of a healthy person to begin with.  may have had an underlying arrhythmia to start with.

PP

Atreyu

They reported no heart defects, or history. I am just throwing a different perspective out there. This guy has to live the rest of his life with a pacemaker because of the damage done to his heart.

Just throwing out a personal experience of mine.
HEYHEYHEY

Pulled(PP)pork

I stand corrected, after conferring with an ER doc.  I apologize and hope he returns to good health.

it appears I don't know everything after all, just like the spouse says

Pulled out...

clutch

Quote from: Atreyu on August 11, 2013, 11:01:19 am

I've heard this too. That's why a lot of the preworkouts are banned in the military. I don't take any kind of preworkout before cardio because I don't feel I need it. I only use it before lifting weights.

Coondog Hog

I've not read anything negative on L-Argnine alone.  I may have to rethink it though and do some more research before further use.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Atreyu

It's an amino acid. Should be fine.
HEYHEYHEY

clutch

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 11, 2013, 02:18:07 pm
I've not read anything negative on L-Argnine alone.  I may have to rethink it though and do some more research before further use.

It's fine. It's just an amino acid that the body converts into nitric oxcide which causes the blood vessels to open up for better blood flow, which will give you a boost.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: clutch on August 11, 2013, 03:41:42 pm
It's fine. It's just an amino acid that the body converts into nitric oxcide which causes the blood vessels to open up for better blood flow, which will give you a boost.
That was my understanding. It seems to keep my legs feeling good.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Pulled(PP)pork

Wow!  what a difference a little protein and carbs makes prior to my run.  I was feeling real good during the whole thing, breathing was eased....just felt flawless.

4.38mi/45mins

PP

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 12, 2013, 06:01:53 am
Wow!  what a difference a little protein and carbs makes prior to my run.  I was feeling real good during the whole thing, breathing was eased....just felt flawless.

4.38mi/45mins

PP

What did you eat?
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Lando Calrissian

I was bored on vacation last week and did 5.5 miles, but other than that my consistent running has been on hold for awhile.

Been lifting and playing a lot of full court basketball lately.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.