Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gonna quit smoking tomorrow...

Started by HF#1, June 18, 2013, 03:49:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

No excuses, no help, just going to do it.  I was a non-smoker before and I'm going to be again. 

Also going to start P90X soon along with Shakeology.  Can't wait to get started and see some results. 

Looking to dump 40-50lbs and keep it off.  Making some major lifestyle changes.  Wish me luck.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

DOGALUM

Atta boy!

I quit last month.  (only smoked for 7 or 8 years)

Stay busy is my best advice....and stay around people who you don't want knowing that you went back to it.   I'm to the point where the idea of it is still very appealing......relaxing.....smoking a couple with a beer......mmmm.     But when I catch a whiff of someone else smoking.....it strengthens my resolve.   Plus, I look at the money I am saving.   WOW!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

99toLife

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 18, 2013, 03:49:54 pm
No excuses, no help, just going to do it.  I was a non-smoker before and I'm going to be again. 

Also going to start P90X soon along with Shakeology.  Can't wait to get started and see some results. 

Looking to dump 40-50lbs and keep it off.  Making some major lifestyle changes.  Wish me luck.

Good luck, I don't smoke but my buddies do and it can be tough at times trying to quit.

HF#1

Thanks.  I'm going to take the money I save and use it towards healthier food and more activity.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Ragnar Hogbrok

Good on you.  No matter what, no matter how bad you want one, no matter how bad you think you "need" one, just don't.  Punish yourself with exercise each time you think you want one.

No matter what, don't buy a pack.  No matter what, don't bum one off of a friend.  Find an exercise that will fill the void.  Good luck!
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Earl

It will get easier every day..........2 to 3 weeks and you are over them.

HF#1

I have 4 left.  That will take me to bedtime.  I'm looking forward to start making these changes.  I've treated myself like crap for too long.  Time to ditch the bad habits and replace them with good ones.

Earl

Good luck. It is worth the effort.

clutch

Good for you.

I'd look at other options than Shakeology though. There are plenty of options that are a TON cheaper. I've never done Shakeology, but everyone I knew said it was a waste of money bc they could find other options so much cheaper.

HF#1

Quote from: clutch on June 18, 2013, 08:25:59 pm
Good for you.

I'd look at other options than Shakeology though. There are plenty of options that are a TON cheaper. I've never done Shakeology, but everyone I knew said it was a waste of money bc they could find other options so much cheaper.
It's all expensive.  I can probably go to wal mart and get something cheaper. I will google to see what the alternatives are.  The people I've talked to have used and like Shakeology. 

Piggage

Good for you on quitting smoking. You might try 1-800-QUIT-NOW if you need it. I don't know from firsthand experience, but it's free and might be better than trying to quit with no help.

DOGALUM

How you doing bro?   A bit on edge?  I'm just under a month in....cold turkey.  Yesterday and today were two of the hardest days I have had since the first few.  Having a red bull instead.  Good luck.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Hey, OP.  Do you have kids?  Or a significant other who loves you?  I would keep pictures of them with you, and every time you get that urge, pull out their pictures and stare at them.  You're doing it for them as much as yourself.

Whatever it takes, man.  I hope you're going strong.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

HF#1

All is well right now.  My biggest problem is when I'm idle.  If I don't have anything to do, I'm a wreck.  Played on the Ipad till the battery was almost dead and it was full when I started.   When my mind is occupied, no issues at all.  Feel great. 

Had to go to the Dr for an issue I've had and I noticed that my blood pressure had already gone down so the benefits are already showing themselves.

HF#1

When I get paid I'm going grocery shopping to supplement the new lifestyle changes.  I might have to wait on the P90X.  Had some car issues come up that I had to shell out 130 bucks for.  Going to go ahead and make the diet changes while I can.

clutch

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 22, 2013, 10:32:24 pm
When I get paid I'm going grocery shopping to supplement the new lifestyle changes.  I might have to wait on the P90X.  Had some car issues come up that I had to shell out 130 bucks for.  Going to go ahead and make the diet changes while I can.

You could go ahead and get a jump start on your workouts before you get P90X. Start doing pull ups, chin ups, all different kind of push ups like diamonds, wide push ups, regular, do some with your feet up on a chair, etc. You'll be glad you at least broke yourself in some because you will do a lot of them once you start. Also start doing some plyometric stuff such as body weight squats, jumps, burpees, etc.

hawgrunner

I quit years ago from being a pack and 1/2 day smoker of 20+ years. Went cold turkey (which by the way is the only way, no patches) nicotine is your addition but if you want to quit really want to quit it's a done deal. 

Now my new addition is running!! :)

HF#1

Quote from: clutch on June 22, 2013, 11:02:01 pm
You could go ahead and get a jump start on your workouts before you get P90X. Start doing pull ups, chin ups, all different kind of push ups like diamonds, wide push ups, regular, do some with your feet up on a chair, etc. You'll be glad you at least broke yourself in some because you will do a lot of them once you start. Also start doing some plyometric stuff such as body weight squats, jumps, burpees, etc.

Going to start tomorrow.  I had to be at work extra early this morning and then woke up late to boot otherwise I would have started today.  All I can say is quitting smoking has been the toughest thing I have done or will do.  Changing the diet habits and starting an exercise regimen is easy compare to quitting smoking. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 24, 2013, 08:12:08 am
Going to start tomorrow.  I had to be at work extra early this morning and then woke up late to boot otherwise I would have started today.  All I can say is quitting smoking has been the toughest thing I have done or will do.  Changing the diet habits and starting an exercise regimen is easy compare to quitting smoking. 
I hear ya.   I was at a birthday party for a friend of my wife this past Friday night.   Lots of drinking, lots of music, and lots of smoking.  People there offering me cigs knowing that I have quit....and just laughing their asses off about it.   I did not fall to temptation.  The wife was drunk so I could have got away with it.   I was driving.  Anyway....it felt like a big victory for me. 

Hang in there bro.....

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 24, 2013, 08:12:08 am

Remember, nothing that's good for you is easy.  There will be a plethora of excuses for not exercising and you'll find plenty of stressful situations where you'll think, "a cigarette would be nice right now."  Whatever you do, don't give in.  Make your mind the master of your body.  If you fail, it will be due to lack of mental toughness. 

I quit smokeless tobacco cold turkey.  The only times I broke, I made excuses for myself.  The last time I quit, it was for good.  Now that I've beaten the addiction, the smell of the stuff makes me want to vomit.

You CAN do this.  But YOU have to do it.  We're all here for some sort of online moral support.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Just checking on you, #1.  Hope you're holding out strong.  You can do it.

TX HOG

I'm gonna try and stop casual smoking. When I'm not drinking they're nasty. When I'm drinking I'll smoke a pack a night. Good luck to ya...!!!!

HF#1

Ever since I have decided to try and quit, my life has been pure and utter hell.

TX HOG

Guinness Snout

I quit while finding out my wife had cheated on me and goin throught a divorce which still isn't final.  I've been a nervous wreck @ times and have caved a few times, but I did it and you can too.  As for exercise best thing ever.  Set goals: start with small ones when you reach those make them a little tougher.  Start with a deck of playing cards and do squats, push-ups, situps and burpees.  Turn over a card and do the number value on the card; do each exercise till failure repeat 3 more times.  Good little @ home workout that doesn't cost anything.  Its what I started with along with bike riding and litle running.  Now I'm moving on to Rushfit starting in July.  Good luck #1!

Verge

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 22, 2013, 10:32:24 pm

Probably for the best. There is a regular P90 for beginners. If you are rocking a pack a day, you can't just quit and do p90x the next day. You won't see good gains, just burn out.

Intervals are the best for getting your lungs working again, but consult a doctor first IMO.

TX HOG

Count De Money

I quit 10 yrs ago after 40 yrs of smoking. Quit cold turkey after I saw a good friend in his coffin who had died from lung cancer. He retired 6 months before and found out he had cancer 3 weeks before he died from it. Never got to enjoy what he worked his life for. I vowed I would and I am.

HF#1

Quote from: Verge on June 27, 2013, 10:39:06 pm
Probably for the best. There is a regular P90 for beginners. If you are rocking a pack a day, you can't just quit and do p90x the next day. You won't see good gains, just burn out.

Intervals are the best for getting your lungs working again, but consult a doctor first IMO.

I finally got the P90X videos.  I'm checking them out before I start it.  Just doing my homework.  I'm not going to lie I've fallen off the wagon once or twice quitting smoking but have been able to jump back on pretty quick.  Since I started this thread I've had about 5 cigarettes and it's been a really rough couple weeks but I'm not giving up, ever.  I'm implementing the diet changes slowly but surely.  I'm trying to get my routine down, that's my main focus right now.  Getting up earlier, getting to bed earlier, etc. 

Before I start an exercise regimen like P90X, I'm going to focus on walking and stretching.  I might start out by doing a light version of the cardio dvd.  I'll continue to keep you guys posted though it might not be a daily update.

99toLife

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 10, 2013, 03:04:36 pm
I finally got the P90X videos.  I'm checking them out before I start it.  Just doing my homework.  I'm not going to lie I've fallen off the wagon once or twice quitting smoking but have been able to jump back on pretty quick.  Since I started this thread I've had about 5 cigarettes and it's been a really rough couple weeks but I'm not giving up, ever.  I'm implementing the diet changes slowly but surely.  I'm trying to get my routine down, that's my main focus right now.  Getting up earlier, getting to bed earlier, etc. 

Before I start an exercise regimen like P90X, I'm going to focus on walking and stretching.  I might start out by doing a light version of the cardio dvd.  I'll continue to keep you guys posted though it might not be a daily update.

How many would you have had normally in that time frame?

HF#1

Quote from: 99toLife on July 10, 2013, 04:37:03 pm
How many would you have had normally in that time frame?

A carton or more...

MO.Hog

I'm with you right now.  Quit about four days ago.  Wife is quitting too, so you can only imagine the stress level in the house right now.  Good thing is make-up sex is great.  Bad thing is that after all I want is a cigarette. :razorback: :razorback:

HF#1

Quote from: MO.Hog on July 12, 2013, 03:45:08 pm
I'm with you right now.  Quit about four days ago.  Wife is quitting too, so you can only imagine the stress level in the house right now.  Good thing is make-up sex is great.  Bad thing is that after all I want is a cigarette. :razorback: :razorback:

It is a pain in the balls.  Wish I had never started.  I will conquer this addiction but its just not happening like I wanted it to.  I am about to attempt it again and really focus on my mental toughness. 

DOGALUM

My last cig was on June 1st.   I am 1 1/2 months without one.   Some days are easy as pie.   Other days.....mostly just an hour or so here and there....are very VERY hard.   I have started noticing just how much smokers stink though.  (no offense to you stinky smokers....I was one of you for years)  Standing in the grocery store yesterday and a couple walked up beside me.....wow....they stunk so bad.  I never noticed it when I was one of those stinkers. 

I would love to smoke one right now.   I wouldn't mind being one of those occasional smokers.   The ones who smoke 2 or 3 a month in celebration or for stress or for whatever reason.  Problem is....if I smoke 1....I will smoke a  pack.   

You guys stay dedicated.   I'd like to tell you that it will get easier....and to a degree it will.....but you will still have to make a hard choice every day 45 days into it.   The more time I have vested in quitting, the easier it is to ignore the urges. 

99toLife

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 15, 2013, 11:37:44 am
My last cig was on June 1st.   I am 1 1/2 months without one.   Some days are easy as pie.   Other days.....mostly just an hour or so here and there....are very VERY hard.   I have started noticing just how much smokers stink though.  (no offense to you stinky smokers....I was one of you for years)  Standing in the grocery store yesterday and a couple walked up beside me.....wow....they stunk so bad.  I never noticed it when I was one of those stinkers. 

I would love to smoke one right now.   I wouldn't mind being one of those occasional smokers.   The ones who smoke 2 or 3 a month in celebration or for stress or for whatever reason.  Problem is....if I smoke 1....I will smoke a  pack.   

You guys stay dedicated.   I'd like to tell you that it will get easier....and to a degree it will.....but you will still have to make a hard choice every day 45 days into it.   The more time I have vested in quitting, the easier it is to ignore the urges.

I don't smoke but my best friend does. I chew and he hates that and thinks it's disgusting because he may have to look at my spit bottle. I said you realize people can smell you from 10 feet away and your whole house smells like an ashtray.  When I'm around you I smell like an ashtray after leaving.  I told him no one that hangs around me smells like Redman Golden Blend after hanging out with me. Smokers just don't understand that.

HF#1

I got my P90X package in the mail.  I gotta say, I was quite impressed.  When I commit to something I spare no expense.  I got the deluxe package.  It came with the basic stuff + resistance bands, pull up bar, 90 day supply of the recovery formula, 30 day supply of chocolate shakeology, and some vitamins.

I put the pull up bar together which I was kind of dreading because I've heard quite a bit of complaining about it not fitting together properly, screws missing, etc.  But it went together quite easily for me and all the parts were there.  It only took about 10 minutes to put together and I think I'll be able to use it when I get to where I can pull my fat ass up, lol.

I'm going grocery shopping Saturday afternoon and will clean the junk out of my cabinets.  I've already started drinking more water and for lunch today I had a turkey, avocado, cucumber sammich for lunch.  It was delicious.  Anyway I can't wait to get all this started.  I'm really pumped about the P90X.  I love a challenge and if it's nothing else, it's challenging.

DOGALUM

HF#1

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 19, 2013, 12:45:57 pm
and the smoking?

On the up and up.  I've been smoke free for about 48 hours now.  I was down to where I'd have 1 or 2 a day so then I just said screw it and have eliminated those.   Right now, it sucks.  But I'm pushing through it.

DOGALUM

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 19, 2013, 12:46:25 pm
On the up and up.  I've been smoke free for about 48 hours now.  I was down to where I'd have 1 or 2 a day so then I just said screw it and have eliminated those.   Right now, it sucks.  But I'm pushing through it.
Go get that pack that you have hidden and pour water on them and trash them.   It's much easier when you don't even have the option.

HF#1

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 19, 2013, 12:50:03 pm
Go get that pack that you have hidden and pour water on them and trash them.   It's much easier when you don't even have the option.

Negatory on the hidden pack.  Don't have one.  I threw away a full pack when I stopped.  No lighters, no ashtrays, no hidden packs, nothing.  Been smoke free 48 hours.

DOGALUM

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 19, 2013, 12:54:34 pm
Negatory on the hidden pack.  Don't have one.  I threw away a full pack when I stopped.  No lighters, no ashtrays, no hidden packs, nothing.  Been smoke free 48 hours.
I kept mine hidden for a few days.....even pulled out a cig a few times to go through the routine.  I would go out on the deck, sit down, puff on it a few times.......flick it.......and go back in....all while unlit.   I always did it in front of my wife so I would be sure not to light it.   Sounds stupid to non smokers....but even that little routine got me through the first few days.

jltackel

Quote from: 99toLife on June 18, 2013, 03:55:38 pm
Good luck, I don't smoke but my buddies do and it can be tough at times trying to quit.

I WAS OFF CIGGS. FOR 28 YEARS AND THEN 13 YEARS AGO i STARTED BACK ! HOW STUPID IS THAT? I QUIT FOR 3 MONTHS LAST YEAR AND THEN AGAIN I WENT BACK TO THEM I ENJOY THEM EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT IS SLOW MOTION SUICIDE IT IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT THINGS TO GET OFF OF IN MY OPPINON. YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT IT CAN BE DONE BUT THE OLDER YOU GET I FEEL IT IS HARDER EVERY TIME YOU QUIT AND RELAPSE IT GETS TOUGHER. AFTER 72 HOURS WITH OUT ONE IS REALLY BAD AFTER THAT IT BECOMES BEARABLE JUST GETTING THROUGH THE FIRST 3 DAYS SO GOOD LUCK TO EVERY ONE TRYING TO QUIT DON'T GIVE UP OR GET DISCOURAGED IF YOU RELAPSE, IF YOU ARE SERIOUS AND COMMITTED TO QUITTING YOU WILL BEAT IT IT MAY TAKE YOU SEVERAL TIMES JUST DON'T GIVE UP IT WILL BE WORTH IT !

DOGALUM

Quote from: jltackel on July 26, 2013, 12:42:18 pm
I WAS OFF CIGGS. FOR 28 YEARS AND THEN 13 YEARS AGO i STARTED BACK ! HOW STUPID IS THAT? I QUIT FOR 3 MONTHS LAST YEAR AND THEN AGAIN I WENT BACK TO THEM I ENJOY THEM EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT IS SLOW MOTION SUICIDE IT IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT THINGS TO GET OFF OF IN MY OPPINON. YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT IT CAN BE DONE BUT THE OLDER YOU GET I FEEL IT IS HARDER EVERY TIME YOU QUIT AND RELAPSE IT GETS TOUGHER. AFTER 72 HOURS WITH OUT ONE IS REALLY BAD AFTER THAT IT BECOMES BEARABLE JUST GETTING THROUGH THE FIRST 3 DAYS SO GOOD LUCK TO EVERY ONE TRYING TO QUIT DON'T GIVE UP OR GET DISCOURAGED IF YOU RELAPSE, IF YOU ARE SERIOUS AND COMMITTED TO QUITTING YOU WILL BEAT IT IT MAY TAKE YOU SEVERAL TIMES JUST DON'T GIVE UP IT WILL BE WORTH IT !
Can I bum a smoke bro?

Hawg Balling

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 18, 2013, 03:49:54 pm

Not sure about your age, but it tends to be easier to quit cold turkey when you're younger.  I smoked in college and grad school, even getting as high as nearly two packs a day, but I quit near the end of grad school at the age of 23 with nary a problem and have rarely smoked since.  I'm still an occasional social smoker at things like tailgates, bars or in the duck blind, but even those are one-off occasions where I bum one and my wife tends to put her foot down here and there. 

When I quit, I was already going to the gym regularly, so I pretty much just supplemented the nervous energy that causes most people to eat and/or smoke again with more gym time.  It worked because there was little to no weight gain, and I really didn't have any cravings. I'll still have a random craving if I'm watching an old movie or Mad Men or something like that in which everyone is lighting up, but it's much easier than what older quitters deal with.

SwazyHog

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 19, 2013, 12:54:34 pm
So are you still smoke free?
"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

titsonboar

Good luck. Quit last summer. It ain't easy but worth it.

hawgrunner

Polecat

Be careful if you go with Chantix. I know of two friends who went suicidal while taking it
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

hawgrunner

Quote from: HF#1 on July 19, 2013, 12:54:34 pm

status??

theFlyingHog

I quit 3 months ago. Been drunk a couple times around friends who smoke and haven't stumbled once. I was sick so the first week was the easiest. It's amazing how just today I get the strongest desire for one.