Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deep tissue massage

Started by sakuraba, June 02, 2013, 09:03:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sakuraba

I have started getting one every 2 weeks, trying something different.  Just seemed
liked i always had a nagging little injury somewhere .  The latest was from doing shoulder shrugs.  I'm sure i don't stretch enough, but for the last 2 months, my body has really felt the best it has in a long time. 

ATU HOG

I have a buddy who gets one about every 2 to 3 weeks.  He's a body builder and he recommends them when lifting heavy.

I got a regular massage the other day for about 30 minutes and my back was sooooooore the next day.

daprospecta

I don't think you should have to continue forever. Just get your kinks knocked out and make sure to stretch whatever your working on thoroughly.  I used to have the same problems until I started spending five minutes before each workout stretching.

sakuraba

When she works the spots that i want her to really work on, she uses her forearms and elbows.  She told me that i would be sore the next day and i was a little.
  I'm no bodybuilder, been lifting pretty good for past 10 years, but i feel that I'm getting a little robotic up top.  I dint think i could swing a bat, club or throw a football without feeling like i might pull something.
  My neck had been getting so tight that when falling asleep and you do that
jerk because you think your falling, i would wake with a crick in my neck.  Or if
someone come up behind me and scare me, it would happen too.  So far it hasn't happened anymore.

Hogsmo Kramer

Never had a deep tissue massage but have been thinking bout giving the chiropractor a shot.

I'm a little nervous to be honest though, I'm afraid they may pull out a jackhammer just to get me back into alignment.  :)
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

DeltaBoy

I love my Chiropractor, she kept me walking the past 6 years since my bad wreak in 06.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 03, 2013, 08:46:54 am
I love my Chiropractor, she kept me walking the past 6 years since my bad wreak in 06.

So Delta how often do you have to go like once a week, every other week, once a month?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on June 02, 2013, 10:53:48 pm
Never had a deep tissue massage but have been thinking bout giving the chiropractor a shot.

I'm a little nervous to be honest though, I'm afraid they may pull out a jackhammer just to get me back into alignment.  :)

Started going to the chiropractor after developing tension headaches during my last deployment.  After about three sessions, the headaches began to resolve.  After about eight total sessions, all of my back pain (just from Army life) began to feel better.  I could walk upright again, and felt less stress throughout my body.  Not going to lie, though.  The first time he twisted my neck around and then jerked my entire head to the side I thought I was going to pass out.  It didn't hurt, but the popping sound and the rush made me break out in a cold sweat and I got all euphoric and light-headed.

There's no chiropractor in Kandahar.  I miss my chiro.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

kingofdequeen

Nuru Massage FTW.  will cure whatever ails you.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Are there any good places in the Fort Smith area that perform deep tissue massage?  I'm not talking about the type that operates out of someone's house.  I want the table, the steam, the candles, the hot rocks...the full shebang.  Well, not the "full shebang."  Just the massage.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on June 03, 2013, 10:54:36 am
Started going to the chiropractor after developing tension headaches during my last deployment.  After about three sessions, the headaches began to resolve.  After about eight total sessions, all of my back pain (just from Army life) began to feel better.  I could walk upright again, and felt less stress throughout my body.  Not going to lie, though.  The first time he twisted my neck around and then jerked my entire head to the side I thought I was going to pass out.  It didn't hurt, but the popping sound and the rush made me break out in a cold sweat and I got all euphoric and light-headed.

There's no chiropractor in Kandahar.  I miss my chiro.

Cool I may give it a shot.

I don't have anything crazy wrong (at least I don't think) but years of wear and tear from heavy lifting and my former job (police officer) has left my back feeling "creaky" at times and I've often wondered if a chiro could help.

Thanks for the input.

sakuraba

Wocraig, I go to a place in Ft. Smith over on Rogers called Inner Peace.  Yes they have the stones.  They have a website to schedule, that's what i do.  I'm new to it so i wouldn't know alot about the other things they have.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: sakuraba on June 03, 2013, 05:34:27 pm
Wocraig, I go to a place in Ft. Smith over on Rogers called Inner Peace.  Yes they have the stones.  They have a website to schedule, that's what i do.  I'm new to it so i wouldn't know alot about the other things they have.

Thanks, man.  Next time I'm home I'll definitely check it out.

Iamphatman

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on June 03, 2013, 10:58:38 am
Are there any good places in the Fort Smith area that perform deep tissue massage?  I'm not talking about the type that operates out of someone's house.  I want the table, the steam, the candles, the hot rocks...the full shebang.  Well, not the "full shebang."  Just the massage.

Fort smith wellness clinic. Best in town.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on June 03, 2013, 10:49:02 am
So Delta how often do you have to go like once a week, every other week, once a month?

Sorry I missed your post  I go about every 6 weeks depending on how I feel.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 21, 2013, 01:33:49 pm
Sorry I missed your post  I go about every 6 weeks depending on how I feel.

That's not bad I could afford that.

I'd imagine you had to go more at first til they got you aligned?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on November 21, 2013, 02:16:29 pm
That's not bad I could afford that.

I'd imagine you had to go more at first til they got you aligned?

Yep my right leg was compressed and my 6-8 lower back was 2mm out of line and I had full blown sciatica and tons of pain.  I went daily for a week and then once a week for month the to monthly and now I am about every 6 weeks unless I do something to throw my back out or a pop out my bad ankle.

Delicious~Dreams

As a fairly new runner......I'm hoping I get a long hard massage for Christmas.   Gift certificates this time of year are wonderful.   I didn't realize how sore my legs would be after starting to run again.

Oklahawg

Don't know why I didn't see this earlier.

When you get a deep tissue massage you need to drink LOTS of water and avoid alcohol and caffeine 12 hours either side of the massage. I do not recommend visiting the gym after a deep tissue massage but a bit of time on the treadmill or even just walking around the block will help flush out the system.

I visit Aquarian Age massage in Tulsa (15th/Peoria area) and it is exactly what some of you are wanting. The wet steam bath is to die for, and is free with a massage. I sit in it for 20-30 minutes before my session and another 10-15 afterwards.

I find a good deep tissue massage to be quite superior to chiropractic work. I realize this is a "to each their own" situation but I would visit a good massage therapist and reschedule for a week later. Do either 60 or 90 minutes. Do not be rushed! Find or make time, leaving at least 30 minutes on either side of the session to relax into it, and detox out of it.

A word of warning - many craigslist, backpage and weekly community paper ads (including, at least in OK, the majority of Asian-themed "spas") are for illegitimate establishments. You are not looking for a nuru massage, either. :)

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

McKdaddy

Good info, Okla.

My spine gets severely out of whack occasionally, for which I see my chiropractor. I also see him quarterly for an adjustment. But those are spinal issues for me, in which he helps a lot. I also get quite a bit of relaxation on the rolling table.

To me a deep-tissue massage is something different, working different areas, healing my body in different ways from what the chiropractor does. After a 50-mile bike ride, I long to see my gym's massage squad, but since getting a custom-fit to my bike I don't suffer back issues on it any longer.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

DeltaBoy

Do what works for you. When I was young and working out at Golds in LR. I would hit the steam room with a Gatorade and 2 Tylenol and set in there for 30 minutes then shower and head to work or school.  My issues are my syntactic nerve on my right side, Lower back and right leg .  With each passing year my leg seems to get worse since I busted it up in that car wreak in 06. 

hawgrunner

Just last week I started with "Active Release Techniques (ART)" for a local guy to see if would help with a possible Nerve Entrapment issue I have in my left leg.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: hawgrunner on August 09, 2015, 07:15:06 pm
Just last week I started with "Active Release Techniques (ART)" for a local guy to see if would help with a possible Nerve Entrapment issue I have in my left leg.

Let me know how that goes. If chiropractic doesn't solve my sciatica, the army has an acupuncturist where I'm at I'm going to try. If that doesn't work, I'll try ART if that will solve it.

DeltaBoy

Acupuncturist  are pretty good and I would visit one if I had one locally.  I had a grad school mate that was one and was from Hong Kong.  For the 2 years we were neighbors I never went to a regular DR.   Those needles and the herbal teas he gave me worked great for me. 

Deep Tissue is great also.   As for Chiropractors mine charges 50 bucks per a visit.  When I first went to her in 06 she didn't charge me at all for the first month of treatments.  Sciatica is the DEVIL!

hawgrunner

As of today had six visits. Last Friday I did a 56 mile bike ride and my bad leg did petty good so it looks to be heading in the right direction, more to come during this weeks runs and rides.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hawgrunner on August 31, 2015, 08:37:37 pm
As of today had six visits. Last Friday I did a 56 mile bike ride and my bad leg did petty good so it looks to be heading in the right direction, more to come during this weeks runs and rides.

That is great news.  Keep it up .