Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 01, 2014, 11:13:01 am
I'm looking to do "moderate" length rides. If anyone is interested in having a ride-partner in your area for a charitable ride, let me know and I'll see if my calendar lines up.

Thus far I've signed up for...
Tour of Tulsa, 50-mi option. It is on Saturday, May 3rd.
Tulsa Tough Sat & Sun fondos. 39-mi on Sat & 35-mi on Sun. It is on June 7th & 8th.

If you'd like to join me on these rides, let me know.

That sounds fun but a little far to travel for me. My rides here in San Diego look like this...

;)

McKdaddy

Quote from: rock642 on April 03, 2014, 07:19:33 pm
My rides here in San Diego look like this...

;)

Don't be snooty, ha.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 03, 2014, 08:06:43 pm
I'm in Gulf Shores for Tulsa Tough. But if anybody is interested in letting me wheel suck in your slipstream during the True Grit Ride in Fort Smith, I'm in.

It appears my weekend is open that Saturday and I'd love to head over, but I believe you are a much stronger rider than me and I'd have trouble staying on your wheel, much less you on mine. I'm improving my speed and stamina, but usually am sucking wind on a couple of group rides I do weekly w/ more seasoned riders.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rock642 on April 03, 2014, 07:19:33 pm
That sounds fun but a little far to travel for me. My rides here in San Diego look like this...

;)

I've played a few rounds of golf in SD, but never ridden there. I saw LOTS of riders about, and was quite jealous of the bike lanes.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 03, 2014, 09:19:02 pm
I've got the stamina, but not the speed. That's what I'm working on this summer - speed. Last year, I did the 50 miles in four hours - including lingering way too long at some aid stations.

That might work, Scott. My rides since getting the roadie have been in the 20-30 mile range, with times equating to a 4-hour ride over 50-miles.

Last 5 rides for examples:
--25.3 miles, 1:54 ride time, 13.3 mph
--22.8 miles, 1:36 ride time, 13.8 mph
--26.3 miles, 1:51 ride time, 14.2 mph
--27.2 miles, 1:49 ride time, 14.9 mph
--30.2 miles, 2:13 ride time, 13.6 mph

I took short breaks / hit stop lights with each of the above rides, so when you factor those stoppages in, I'm at a 4-hour 50-miler.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 03, 2014, 09:11:26 pm
I've played a few rounds of golf in SD, but never ridden there. I saw LOTS of riders about, and was quite jealous of the bike lanes.

Yea, it will be one of the things I'll miss when we move back to NWA.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rock642 on April 04, 2014, 12:04:26 am
Yea, it will be one of the things I'll miss when we move back to NWA.

To the extent you want to comment, what took you to SD and will be bringing you back home?

Work took me to Tulsa. I'd love to be in NWA, but my work will likely keep me in Tulsa until retirement. I'm 40 now, so it'll be a while.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I ride a bike now that my knee forced me to quit running.  I would ride more if I had someone to ride with that has some experience in "bike maintenance".  I'll admit, I'm a little intimidated about trying to work on one without some guidance.

I really enjoy it though.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

McKdaddy

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on April 04, 2014, 08:12:17 am
I ride a bike now that my knee forced me to quit running.  I would ride more if I had someone to ride with that has some experience in "bike maintenance".  I'll admit, I'm a little intimidated about trying to work on one without some guidance.

I really enjoy it though.

Same here w/ bike maintenance, JB. I've taken my bikes to my LBS for all maintenance other than chain cleaning/lubing, which anyone can do. Each ride I have fear of a flat tire in the back of my mind. I've had 1 flat in the last 18 years -- and it was at least 16 years ago -- so I'm not rehearsed in changing a flat, and thus realize it will take me 20 minutes to change when it finally happens, ugh. Lord knows I'm overdue for a flat.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 04, 2014, 06:02:14 am
To the extent you want to comment, what took you to SD and will be bringing you back home?

Work took me to Tulsa. I'd love to be in NWA, but my work will likely keep me in Tulsa until retirement. I'm 40 now, so it'll be a while.

I came out to SD in 87 after high school because I joined the NAVY. I've been out of the Navy for some time but between my time working as a contractor doing installations of electronic/communication systems on and for the navy ships and now currently a Navy civilian employee doing the management oversight of those installs.

We'll have wait and see what NWA holds in the electronic and commucication field. Due to still have a few years before moving. My wife and I have a daughter in High School that we're not going take her out to relocate.

The ocean and weather is ok, the cost of living and over population is not. Plus countryside of the ozarks is the best in the world.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rock642 on April 04, 2014, 03:53:43 pm
I came out to SD in 87 after high school because I joined the NAVY. I've been out of the Navy for some time but between my time working as a contractor doing installations of electronic/communication systems on and for the navy ships and now currently a Navy civilian employee doing the management oversight of those installs.

We'll have wait and see what NWA holds in the electronic and commucication field. Due to still have a few years before moving. My wife and I have a daughter in High School that we're not going take her out to relocate.

The ocean and weather is ok, the cost of living and over population is not. Plus countryside of the ozarks is the best in the world.

Thanks for the response.

McKdaddy

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 03, 2014, 10:01:58 pm
That might work, Scott.

Well? Won't hurt my feelings if you want a faster partner.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 13, 2014, 09:10:35 pm
Oh, sorry. Forgot to reply. In for the 50 or the 100?

No prob.   50 is all I could muster.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 14, 2014, 08:38:54 pm
Sounds like a plan.

Great, I'm going to sign-up this Friday. With a 7am ride time, I'll probably stay in Ft S the night before.

hawgrunner

Took a hard spill out riding yesterday, broke my collarbone.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: rock642 on April 26, 2014, 11:24:41 am

Rub some dirt on it!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

hog.goblin

Yes nurse, where is the records room?
What's your name doctor?
Dr. Rosenpenis, where's the records room?
What was that name?
Dr. Rosenrosen.
Who?
Dr. Rosen...

McKdaddy

Sorry to hear that, Rock.

hawgrunner

Looking at about 6 to 8 weeks recovery time.
So that's a little over one month off which isn't
too bad I'd think.

McKdaddy

April 26, 2014, 07:34:40 pm #69 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:01:13 pm by McKdaddy
Scott, I'm officially registered for True a Grit, 50-mi. The site doesn't have the '14 ride maps yet, but if it's like the '13 ride there will be 5-6 rest stops....this ride will be a breeze   ;D

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: rock642 on April 26, 2014, 07:31:57 pm
Looking at about 6 to 8 weeks recovery time.
So that's a little over one month off which isn't
too bad I'd think.

Praying you make a fast recovery.   

McKdaddy

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 03, 2014, 10:01:58 pm

Last 5 rides for examples:
--25.3 miles, 1:54 ride time, 13.3 mph
--22.8 miles, 1:36 ride time, 13.8 mph
--26.3 miles, 1:51 ride time, 14.2 mph
--27.2 miles, 1:49 ride time, 14.9 mph
--30.2 miles, 2:13 ride time, 13.6 mph

Slow improvement, but I've increased my avg mph to 15.0 on rides in the 27-35 mile range (my normal ride length). I'm still only able to ride a couple of times per week but generally ride with stronger riders, so I am improving, though amidst a lot of wind-sucking.

hawgrunner

I don't have any pictures but the collarbone is now in one peace. I had surgery today and got pins put in. Followup appt. Tuesday I'll see if I can some. Should be riding again in 6 weeks.

hawgrunner

4 days post surgery and I'm so happy I did it. Just the idea of that bone being so out of place at this time is just too much.

hawgrunner

3 week post surgery...

Like the hardware?

McKdaddy

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: rock642 on May 20, 2014, 08:03:19 pm
3 week post surgery...

Like the hardware?

Man that sucks!!!

I separated my AC joint a couple years back mountain biking but no surgery. Probably should have since it was a grade 3 but its seems ok except for the knot that's still there.

Hope you heal up soon.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogsmo Kramer

Also for you guys viewing pleasure here's a little pedal bite I got yesterday out on the trails.

This is what happens when you hit a 3 1/2 foot rock drop and your wet shoe slips off the pedal.

Doesn't look like much since I cleaned it before taking the photo but the middle puncture hit shin bone.  :o

Damn pedal pins!!!

(Oh and yes I'm part werewolf hence all the hair  :))

[attachment deleted by admin]

hilljack

HK, using clipless pedals will keep you from having that problem... they also make climbing hills much easier.  Takes a little to get used to them, but they're much better than platform pedals IMO...

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: hilljack on May 30, 2014, 12:52:08 pm
HK, using clipless pedals will keep you from having that problem... they also make climbing hills much easier.  Takes a little to get used to them, but they're much better than platform pedals IMO...

Thanks man I know and actually have a pair of shoes and pedals for clipless when I'm just doing straight XC.

Yesterday I was pushing a little harder than usual and practicing some drops so I went platform instead. I'm wanting to get into some Super D/enduro racing and maybe a little downhill so I'm trying to get my skills up.

Not planning to enter any comps for a year or so til I'm ready but I went ahead and bought some shin guards last night to wear when I'm going hard riding with platforms to hopefully save my shins.

Thanks though for the suggestion.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on May 30, 2014, 05:59:41 pm

2. Also, McK, I'm finally registered for the True Grit. I've talked to a couple of buddies and am trying to get them to come along. I'm hoping if we could rustle up a few folks around the same speed we could get a little peloton rolling.

Sounds good to me.

McKdaddy

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 26, 2014, 10:50:46 pm
Slow improvement, but I've increased my avg mph to 15.0 on rides in the 27-35 mile range (my normal ride length). I'm still only able to ride a couple of times per week but generally ride with stronger riders, so I am improving, though amidst a lot of wind-sucking.

Slow-going w/ the improvement, but I'm up to 15.6 avg mph for most rides in the 35-40 mile range and avg'd 15.5 for the 50-mile Tour de Tulsa in early May.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: ScottFaldon on May 30, 2014, 05:59:41 pm
1. What bike are you riding Hogsmo?

2. Also, McK, I'm finally registered for the True Grit. I've talked to a couple of buddies and am trying to get them to come along. I'm hoping if we could rustle up a few folks around the same speed we could get a little peloton rolling.

Well I've got a Gary Fisher wahoo hard tail that I've been riding for about 6 years that has treated me really well but just recently I upgraded to a 2012 KHS XCT 536 full suspension set up for all mountain trail riding. I bought it new from a local bike shop and got an awesome deal.

It's pretty much stock at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade the forks, crankset, etc., etc. overtime once I figure out for sure which direction I'm wanting to go. It's ready to roll the way it is but I love to tinker and personalize stuff so I'm planning to with it but I absolutely love it.

I really love downhill but I'm just not good enough at the moment to compete in it and at 34 I'm not sure how far I wanna push it just yet since the ole body don't heal like it used to. I think with 6 months to a years worth of training and getting better overall and used to my new bike I could be competitive in super D or enduro though so I'm kinda leaning that way and just dabbling in downhill for the time being. We'll see though because I love a challenge and downhill definitely presents a big one.

Here's a stock pic of my new ride:

[attachment deleted by admin]

hawgrunner

First ride yesterday since post surgery! Only 14 miles and all flat, felt the collorbone area a little but overall think I did well.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rock642 on May 31, 2014, 12:19:41 pm
First ride yesterday since post surgery! Only 14 miles and all flat, felt the collorbone area a little but overall think I did well.

Good, +1

McKdaddy

Headed downtown in a bit for the Tulsa Tough crits this evening and my registration packet for tomorrow's fondo.  Anyone attended TT before?

hawgrunner

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 06, 2014, 08:54:38 pm
Always wanted to be there, but it's always fallen wrong on the calendar. Are you going to Crybaby Hill on Sunday? That's an insane party.

I've never been to that spectacle and won't be introducing my children to it this year, ha.

McKdaddy

June 07, 2014, 10:58:39 am #88 Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:57:25 am by McKdaddy
Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 06, 2014, 08:54:38 pm
Always wanted to be there, but it's always fallen wrong on the calendar. Are you going to Crybaby Hill on Sunday? That's an insane party.

Also, if you see a guy in an ASU jersey, ask if he's Bill Smith. He worked as the UA's tech wizard in the SID office for several years before landing a marketing gig in Jonesboro. Great guy. He's doing both the Saturday and Sunday fondos.

What's the chance among 2300+ cyclists running into this guy?
#TulsaTough

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 06, 2013, 06:57:57 pm
Was a beautiful day in NWA to ride 21 miles.  Found a way to the bike trails in Fayetteville biking from my house with very little time on the roads.

Wow... if you rode 21 miles in NWA, that's like riding 200 in most other parts of the US.....   good job!!!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgrunner

don't know if anyone saw this...

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/ArticleEmail.aspx?id=56116

"Bridge Deal Could Bring 600-Mile River Bike Trail"
By Bill Dries

McKdaddy

Scott, check your pm's.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 21, 2014, 12:03:18 pm
I want to publicly thank McK for letting me sit on his wheel for most of of the True Grit 50 this morning. And for not abandoning me when he was probably 2 mph faster for most of the day.

I hope he enjoyed the conversation as much as I did.

Great conversation....in fact I had just gotten on 540 when I realized we didn't get around to discussing the WC....just ran out of miles to do so.

McKdaddy

ATU HOG

Bought my first bike fellas.   Going to grad school here in Fay and decided to break down and get one and I love it so far.  Been riding the trail near our house that runs through town and campus.  Been here 3 years in Fay, can't wait for another 2 more.  Woo Pig

McKdaddy

Quote from: ATU HOG on June 23, 2014, 11:02:04 pm
Bought my first bike fellas.   Going to grad school here in Fay and decided to break down and get one and I love it so far.  Been riding the trail near our house that runs through town and campus.  Been here 3 years in Fay, can't wait for another 2 more.  Woo Pig

Props to you.  Glad you are enjoying it.

Michaelt

I've been trying to find some time to get back on my bike and ride. I haven't ridden much since I shattered my arm (2009). Most of it is timing. Between work and my responsibilities at my local church and doing some remodeling at the house, getting the time to load the bike in the truck, drive to the river trail (about 20 minutes away), riding, loading and driving back (another 20), it's not an easy thing to work out.

I'm a little timid about riding in town. From past experiences, Jacksonville vehicle drivers are not too fond of cyclists riding on the streets. I've been honked at, yelled at a few times, and just the general layout of the town doesn't give a lot of good long stretches to gear down and ride.

But I'm not giving in; I'm planning on taking my bike to the local shop this weekend and have them do a once over for me, and start chiseling out some time to ride. Might try a few days on my way home from work, see how that pans out since the days are longer right now.

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ATU HOG on June 23, 2014, 11:02:04 pm

Enjoy it.... because... once you graduate and "can't wait to get out of here", you'll definitely miss Fayettenam....  It took me more than 3 years to tolerate no "four seasons" as opposed to where I live now (DFW.... we only have 2 seasons...), among other things.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ATU HOG

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 24, 2014, 08:18:04 pm
Enjoy it.... because... once you graduate and "can't wait to get out of here", you'll definitely miss Fayettenam....  It took me more than 3 years to tolerate no "four seasons" as opposed to where I live now (DFW.... we only have 2 seasons...), among other things.........
I got offered a job last week. Declined to go to grad school. Not ready to leave Fay yet

hawgrunner

Quote from: Michaelt on June 24, 2014, 09:06:21 am
But I'm not giving in; I'm planning on taking my bike to the local shop this weekend and have them do a once over for me, and start chiseling out some time to ride. Might try a few days on my way home from work, see how that pans out since the days are longer right now.

Let's us know how it goes?